F-100D EC.2/3, Armée de l'Air, Lahr, Germany, 1966

Before de Gaulle withdrew France from NATO's integrated military command structure in June 1966, France had committed assets to bases in Germany such as Lahr, just over the French-German border and in the early 1960's this included F-100's of EC.2/3 "Champagne". 

I'm hoping to replicate one of these aircraft using a combination of the ESCI 1/72nd F-100D from many moons ago and finally extracted from the stash, Berna decals will provide the markings and in a bit of prior planning, I've got the Aires resin cockpit, wheels and jet-pipe (the kit original being very shallow and superficial).

Here's the goodies with a couple of book references, fortunately the F-100 is well served with on-line references too.

F-100 Kit etc

The observant among you will see there are two kits in the box, one of them has had one set of wings hacked about to drop the slats as commonly seen on F-100's when parked up, really I should also drop the flaps to match.  I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to persist with this approach, time will tell.

• Like 8

Excellent subject choice Wez. There's something about French markings on an aircraft which always appeals to me and with those extra goodies this one should be a cracker. Any chance well see this become a double build?

42 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Great choice Wez,I'm thinking of Italeri's boxing of this kit in Danish Colour's for this GB.

Yes Steve. Go on, go on, go on. You know you want to :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Any chance well see this become a double build?

No chance Col, there's not a complete second kit there, there's enough to allow me some wriggle room if I make a hash of the wings or the basic kit.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wez said:

No chance Col, there's not a complete second kit there, there's enough to allow me some wriggle room if I make a hash of the wings or the basic kit.

That's a pity but a good source of parts for those flaps and slats.

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great choice Wez.

The Hun is such an iconic aircraft and having it in colourful French markings is a winning combination.

5 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Wez

That is a very interesting subject , I will follow your build of course ..

Cheers

Patrice

No pressure then guys!

This will be my fourth GB entry this summer and last in the queue.  Guess I'd better get a tickle on with the others then!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m afraid I’m going to have to withdraw from this GB (I’m withdrawing from all GB’s), we found some water on the floor of the basement which is where I do my modelling. 

We need to find where this water is coming from and put it right before autumn comes which means emptying the contents of the basement and potentially taking up the flooring.

Any modelling is now on hold until this is sorted, I’m gutted because I only get to do any modelling between June and the end of September.

If we get this sorted in good time I may re-join later.

• Sad 6

• 4 weeks later...

Wez, assuming you get that. Leak fixed, I'd suggest investment in a Trump F-100 and then use the wings from that. It has the slats and flaps and will slot on to your Esci very easily. See my builds like this.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner