Lynx AH7 - The "I Got My First Job" Build

Hi All,

As I said in my last RFI, after four years, I finally finished university and got myself a degree in Aerospace Engineering (and a pretty good one at that!) :smartass:

Since then, I've been lucky enough to land myself my first "proper" job with a company in the county in which I grew up (where I had also hoped to be able to move back to). My new job is as a Design Engineer on the spinny bits that blow the air about on these thingies 😉

43566671822_aa31c9eb7a_k.jpgIMGP0144 by Ben Standen, on Flickr

29744150188_143e27b3e8_k.jpgIMGP0146 by Ben Standen, on Flickr

29744159128_c179f1a262_k.jpgIMGP0143 by Ben Standen, on Flickr

43566694442_166a241249_k.jpgIMGP0142 by Ben Standen, on Flickr

29744168648_7b99c2b2e0_k.jpgIMGP0141 by Ben Standen, on Flickr

29744172068_0a8cdbda5f_k.jpgIMGP0140 by Ben Standen, on Flickr

43614187361_6a070e9e65_k.jpgIMGP0139 by Ben Standen, on Flickr

28726790077_d6a4d3f832_k.jpgIMGP0138 by Ben Standen, on Flickr

And here's Mr Dysons AW139 G-DCOI that was in the hold for Bristol Airport (which means circling above my house!) whilst I was trying to get the photos of the Lynx.

43614193571_f04b895f00_h.jpgIMGP0131 by Ben Standen, on Flickr

No prizes for guessing which company it is - this clue is big enough!

The model was fairly straightforward, I didn't do it justice however 😕 My first time building a spinny one and I've only ever built one or two 1/48 models in my life! I know a made a few mistakes, the biggest of which was using humbrol 80 instead of humbrol 105 (I couldn't get 105 in an acrylic so I settled with 80 out of a rattle can because it looks close enough IMO), I won't mention any of the other errors 😳 It does look much better in real life though, unfortunately, I don't think the technique I've developed for 1/72 aircraft translates very well to 1/48!

The Lynx is a great looking aircraft, an aircraft which I have fond memories of as I'd see them every day having grown up in Somerset, they also used to land in the field behind the farm just down the road from where I lived (training, I presume). It was also pretty cool to watch them do loops every so often, which they often did at ridiculously low altitudes (below 1000ft) and not to mention low-level flying, I'll try and dig out the photos I have of a Lynx having to pull up to safely clear an old bridge over a disused railway at the bottom of the village where I used to live (they flew SERIOUSLY low).

Cheers,

Ben

• Like 34

Nice Lynx Ben and well done on the degree AND the job - no doubt you'll be making great strides in aircraft development if your modelling is anything to go by :) 

Brilliant build - I don't see any mistakes!

Managing to get clear of University and getting my first job (regular income!) was what led me back to this hobby (which I confess I'd almost forgotten).

So, congratulations on your new position - a very good one by the sound of it!

Here's to a rewarding aeronautical career!

:clap:

Congratulations on the degree and landing on your feet good friend on mine works there too. Get penning the new boom. Great kit by the way.

Steve.

well done.  i made this whirly bird a few years back and it went to s**t (other naughy word thought of but dont want admin on me).  yours looks brilliant to me.  Oh and BTW.  well done for getting a job.  ive yet to leave school!!

Congratulations Ben, you'll be running the place in no time!

The Lynx looks great, I hope the job gives you enough time to build some more :clap:

• 3 weeks later...

Comgratulations about the news on the job and congratulations on your Lynx build! Very impressive! Very well done all around! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers all, happy that the consensus seems to be that it's not too bad :D

On 7/27/2018 at 3:52 AM, F-32 said:

Congratulations Ben, you'll be running the place in no time!

The Lynx looks great, I hope the job gives you enough time to build some more :clap:

I'll be building 1:1 scale in the new job ;)

Hello Ben,

Congratulations with your study results and the finish of the Lynx.

You can be very proud of both. Enjoy. Orion / The Netherlands