Lysander - Eduard 1/48

Thanks Hendie :D I'm focussed on this now (until the trip to W-S-M to measure your legs!)

Cheers Keith, always good to know you've got my back :D 

I read through the thread to remind me what I needed to watch out for.

Wobbly wings and struts. Now I remember.

Plan - fit and paint all the bits and then assemble the wings to ease painting etc.

Next step is to fit the PE windows (with a bit of guilt still that I didn't take Hendie's kind offer and bought my own; sorry Hendie)

Perhaps I should paint them first? I need to fit film for the clear after all.

Notice anything weird about this?

44734854851_1b28e2d2bf_z.jpg

The detail is on the back:

42925206590_afa673d997_z.jpg

Pleased I noticed that! On with some Night, including touching up a wing and pitot:

44735431011_9a4b85d4e2_z.jpg

I couldn't think of a good reason not to spray the other side IG so I did:

44686123632_6d8da731b7_z.jpg

Did I get away with it?

29798840987_d714c2db58_z.jpg

Flickr

Almost.

I've done this partly to test how the Colourcoats sticks to PE when it's bent but mostly 'cos I'm lazy.

I'll let that dry and then get on with it!

• Like 15

5 hours ago, CedB said:

I couldn't think of a good reason not to spray the other side IG so I did:

isn't that the side that's going to be bonded to the glass work?  Will it stick? or will the paint peel off?

I ended up using GS Hypo for bonding the windows to the airframe - it worked surprisingly well.  I'd recommend trying that (if you have any) to bond the brass work to the transparencies 

5 hours ago, CedB said:

(until the trip to W-S-M to measure your legs!)

I'll make sure SWMBO's out that day to avoid any awkward questions

• Haha 4

Hello Ced,

If my swiss cheese memory serves, the curved area over the fuel tanks gave rise to most amount of cussin'. As this is fixed, fit first to ensure that when the wings are pushed onto their tabs, the rain can't get in.

I think I used thin Tam tape, front and back, to keep the rear sliding section from springing open when the 'foil' was attached.

Like the coracle 'it was a challenge'

Box On

Strickers

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, giemme said:

Oh, the joy of painting PE... :frantic:

Nice going, Ced :clap:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) My first time painting any PE this big I think.

8 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I take you didn't prime the PE before painting. I used to use self etch primer when I started using PE but now I use good old Halfords Acrylic Primer ( no, I don't have shares in it ). Looking good so far.

John

No John, I didn't - crazy eh? I want to see how the Colourcoats sticks to raw PE, just to add some tension... :) 

5 hours ago, hendie said:

isn't that the side that's going to be bonded to the glass work?  Will it stick? or will the paint peel off?

I ended up using GS Hypo for bonding the windows to the airframe - it worked surprisingly well.  I'd recommend trying that (if you have any) to bond the brass work to the transparencies 

I'll make sure SWMBO's out that day to avoid any awkward questions

See? Tension! :) I'm going to use Gator's Grip to stick the film; more experimenting! Ha ha ha, prepare the subject Igor!

3 hours ago, HAMP man said:

Hello Ced,

If my swiss cheese memory serves, the curved area over the fuel tanks gave rise to most amount of cussin'. As this is fixed, fit first to ensure that when the wings are pushed onto their tabs, the rain can't get in.

I think I used thin Tam tape, front and back, to keep the rear sliding section from springing open when the 'foil' was attached.

Like the coracle 'it was a challenge'

Box On

Strickers

Thanks Strickers. :) I cut off the wing support and will re-attach it later. That's the plan. Will it work?

Perhaps too much tension... we shall see!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bit of masking before bed.

Jaime's had this problem:

42938089030_a3fc0c278e_z.jpg

Flickr

Look at the top view of the cowling. Now look at the port and starboard views. Grrrr.

I shall spray from above and use that pattern.

Never let anyone mock you for collecting odd bits and pieces for your modelling:

44698624602_6051babcc8_z.jpg

Could have been made for the job.

Masked and ready for paint in the morning:

30877669348_dac4aaf7f2_z.jpg

I've allowed myself some 'poetic licence' on the wheel spats based on what you can see from the top (camo) and bottom (black).

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

No primer and painted before cutting free.... my god, fearless that man.🤠

He's gone crazy after the B-36 with too much glue, paint and decal solution on it,  I bet 🙄

Looking strange, Ced. But promising! :idea:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

When you said ' masking before bed ' I had a mental image of you jumping into bed dressed as Zorro or The Lone Ranger.  The mind boggles!

John

Now I have that too! Aaaargh!

:rofl:

Anyway, nice masking job, Ced :clap: 

Ciao

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

No primer and painted before cutting free.... my god, fearless that man.🤠

nice progress kid.

ps. Masking is looking rather splendid too. 

Johnny

9 hours ago, bbudde said:

He's gone crazy after the B-36 with too much glue, paint and decal solution on it,  I bet 🙄

Looking strange, Ced. But promising! :idea:

Thanks Johnny and Ben :) Now then, I think you only need primer if the paint won't stick on its own OR to provide a consistent coat where there are different materials like resin, PE and/or filler... we shall see if I'm right (but others do chip in with your thoughts).

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

When you said ' masking before bed ' I had a mental image of you jumping into bed dressed as Zorro or The Lone Ranger.  The mind boggles!

John

9 minutes ago, giemme said:

Now I have that too! Aaaargh!

:rofl:

Anyway, nice masking job, Ced :clap: 

Ciao

Damn, my alter-ego is exposed!

p-the-legend-of-zorro-antonio-banderas.j

Kept knocking the hat off...

MSG applied:

44755657791_284f032e43_z.jpg

Freehand this bit - I'll mask for the DG, not forgetting to spray the rear window PE. Probably.

• Like 9

Cheeky! Although the bald head is about right... :D 

Back window is, er, not all black so it needs sorting:

44707835652_b75f4fb045_z.jpg

Flickr

Look at those beautiful thin frames... lovely. Bent over the (almost) dry fuselage:

44756824951_f6eee9ff13_z.jpg

Without the paint coming off - un-primed Colourcoats on PE? Check 

I then brush painted the frames that weren't black:

29820496557_7cc48eacdd_z.jpg

Can you see the DG? No? That's cos there isn't any - a ha ha ha! Decided there wasn't much point...

Question for @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies if he's watching - how should I stop the tin tops popping off? Here's my current method but I'm sure that's 'optimal':

44707930172_3eebfe673f_z.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Ced,

The Chinese tins occassionally do that - I find that the best way to avoid it is to wipe the rim and lid with a paper towel (my brush wiping paper towel) and it usually stops it.

Due to a supply issue (i.e. a minimum order quantity of 50,000 tins which I can't afford to float or have suitable space to store it) we have very recently changed to German tins which have a rubberised coating inside the tinlid. They cost us a bit more but we can buy them in 1,500s, not 50,000s. The rubbery stuff does improve the lid seal. They are the same tins as Revell use, FYI.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Hendie :D I'm focussed on this now (until the trip to W-S-M to measure your legs!)

Wait!  You mean Hendie’s legs are on display at the Helicopter Museum?  Is this some sort of performance art [with pretentious title like “Pins of Ex-Erk”]?  Or are the legs no longer attached and are now part of the permanent collection?  

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

That's a nice clamp, I don't think I've seen that before.

So, Colourcoats good for PE. Unfortunately the only place I know in France who stocked them has stopped due to the high cost of importing them. 

John

Clamps from Proops. There's two clamped together in the confusing photo! Cheaper if you buy 5 or 10. :) 

Shame about the Colourcoats importer - hopefully Jamie will sort another.

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Ced,

The Chinese tins occassionally do that - I find that the best way to avoid it is to wipe the rim and lid with a paper towel (my brush wiping paper towel) and it usually stops it.

Due to a supply issue (i.e. a minimum order quantity of 50,000 tins which I can't afford to float or have suitable space to store it) we have very recently changed to German tins which have a rubberised coating inside the tinlid. They cost us a bit more but we can buy them in 1,500s, not 50,000s. The rubbery stuff does improve the lid seal. They are the same tins as Revell use, FYI.

Thanks Jamie, really appreciated :)  Looking forward to the German tins!

30 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Wait!  You mean Hendie’s legs are on display at the Helicopter Museum?  Is this some sort of performance art [with pretentious title like “Pins of Ex-Erk”]?  Or are the legs no longer attached and are now part of the permanent collection?  

Yes. They are. Special viewings only :D 

Bill's located them for you :D 

Glazing the rear window. Easy job while the paint dries...

There's a paper template provided for you to cut your own film (oh, thanks guys).

Found some film and cut it out:

44757861811_a3dc832892_n.jpg 30887525538_5744a01972_n.jpg

The pattern is printed on the film, not the backing paper. Who'd of thought it? Not me for one. It's also very sticky.

Find some more film:

30887616448_a3b98b2768_z.jpg

Wait! It doesn't fit! Nor does the template:

30887634538_96e36f8cae_n.jpg

Now that's just nasty. Cut out another piece using the PE as a template and being very careful not to cut the PE. Brushed on some Gator's Grip and then realised I needed to clamp it so squashed it under my glass block:

44039418064_c928d4f57b_z.jpg

Flickr

I know, I'm going to have to shape it again and I think I'll need to warm the film a bit to get it to conform.

Irritating.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

31 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Do you ever wonder, Ced, if other people ever try using their own products before they hit the market?

I'd say most of them don't. :badmood:

Ciao

• Like 1

4 hours ago, giemme said:
  7 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

John

I'd like to see what Mrs. B's opinion of that is.

• Haha 2