Lysander - Eduard 1/48

OMG even in 1/48 scale some of those tank supports are  going to be tiny! I would be tempted to leave it off, but I know you're made of sterner stuff.

I know what you mean about fiddling about and not achieving much. I decided yesterday that it was time to resume work on MH434 and spent 1/12 hours faffing about with the resin cockpit and still not getting it to fit.

Good luck with the windows.

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

This is the way to do it, this is the wa...

P1130932.jpg

Hope this is of persisstance brother Ced. 😀

2 hours ago, perdu said:

P1130934.jpg

Ditto

Thanks Bill - just what I needed! :D I won't be doing the little 'V' struts, or the taped up exhaust - sorry!

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

OMG even in 1/48 scale some of those tank supports are  going to be tiny! I would be tempted to leave it off, but I know you're made of sterner stuff.

I know what you mean about fiddling about and not achieving much. I decided yesterday that it was time to resume work on MH434 and spent 1/12 hours faffing about with the resin cockpit and still not getting it to fit.

Good luck with the windows.

John

Thanks John - don't tempt me! I can't have an SD without the tank... sadly. :) 

So with the tank where it should be:

43294309154_472af94153_n.jpg 43294305384_72a0ec0d97_n.jpg

… and the holes where I think they should be, the supports are too long:

43294287784_a0cd5ac8d9_z.jpg

Zaggum frazzum supports, as Muttley would say...

Bill's photos have shown the ?filler caps that aren't shown on the instructions and convinced me they're not mounting bits and therefore not stuck to the fuselage.

I may have to re-drill the holes...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Thanks Bill :rofl2: I'll give it a few more days...

Looking at the photos from Bill I've drilled two more holes further out at the front:

42205701700_ae6794320c_z.jpg

More precise (not) instructions:

44015045321_56e702b26f_z.jpg

No locators anywhere, obviously. This is and Eduard kit, isn't it? Checked the reference. Stuck it on:

29077993777_093cfdf47c_z.jpg

I'm going to start painting.

I just don't care...

• Like 17

11 hours ago, CedB said:

That PE frame (especially the rear), once seen, can't be forgotten and for £8.84 including Airmail postage it's a no brainer so has been ordered

ah.... that's be the very same PE parts that I offered you earlier in the thread - free of charge no less ( and from a Scotsman too!).  I see how it is! :poke:

aherm.... does the sliding window still fit into that gap twixt the wings? - Looks a bit narrow from this angle

9 hours ago, CedB said:

43102268875_68651b3f3b_z.jpg

and just in case... Squadron do a vac-form canopy for the Lysander in case you need any spares

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's a good head on drawing to show the wing dihedral. The underside of the inner portion of the wing is horizontal - a great reference point!

Ian

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, HAMP man said:

the Polish company Part etched stuff, (which is stunning, by the way)

Yes, they are indeed and for subjects in 1:72 especially. Good to here they stay alive! Really great company!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

This is and Eduard kit, isn't it? 

To the best of my knowledge, no - it's a reboxed Gavia kit (the one I'm still thinking of bunging back on flea bay from whence it came!)

With those tank supports Ced, I'd be tempted to replace the front ones with some brass rod - drill the locating holes in the tank straight through, insert overlength pieces of rod & that may give you a bit more wriggleability (!) to get the front at least into place? Hopefully that would make it easier to get the back supports in their right and proper place. Or somewhere there about.....Maybe!

Good luck

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello dears,

Keith is right ! It's the Gavia kit !

Very good job Ced, You'll get through the difficulties with some bravery ! Congrats !

I must say that I learn a lot for my future build !

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks Guys - you're my best mates you are (yes there has been wine, but probably not enough!)

6 hours ago, Beard said:

Might be a bit late, or you don't care about enough to look, but have you seen this?

Thanks Simon :) Yes, I have that open as another tab in my browser and the other Mk III here:

Not that there helping me with the kit problems! Thanks for the pointer :) 

5 hours ago, hendie said:

ah.... that's be the very same PE parts that I offered you earlier in the thread - free of charge no less ( and from a Scotsman too!).  I see how it is! :poke:

aherm.... does the sliding window still fit into that gap twixt the wings? - Looks a bit narrow from this angle

and just in case... Squadron do a vac-form canopy for the Lysander in case you need any spares

Oh, sorry Hendie... I should have known that you were throwing me a lifebelt... at the time I thought the kit parts would do... a ha ha ha :banghead:

The sliding window will still fit - nothing has been glued yet except the top of the struts.

I'm hoping to race through to the end now shouting la la la la :lalala:

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Dang it! I'm late to the party. Some images from the same book as before.

44016553661_7af757931a_b.jpg

44016553681_47f81ae922_b.jpg

Chris

5 hours ago, limeypilot said:

That's a good head on drawing to show the wing dihedral. The underside of the inner portion of the wing is horizontal - a great reference point!

Ian

Perfect, thanks Chris and Ian - that'll help a lot :) 

Ian I've heard today (from Mrs B) of a lady who was locked up in Dubai 'cos she arrived having had a drink on the 'plane... is it dry there?

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

Yes, they are indeed and for subjects in 1:72 especially. Good to here they stay alive! Really great company!

Thanks Ben :) I've bookmarked the site and will go back from time to time.

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Rockin’ and rollin’ Mr B. Navigating those problems with ease.  Top stuff as always. 😀  Johnny 

Thanks Johnny :) 

17 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

To the best of my knowledge, no - it's a reboxed Gavia kit (the one I'm still thinking of bunging back on flea bay from whence it came!)

With those tank supports Ced, I'd be tempted to replace the front ones with some brass rod - drill the locating holes in the tank straight through, insert overlength pieces of rod & that may give you a bit more wriggleability (!) to get the front at least into place? Hopefully that would make it easier to get the back supports in their right and proper place. Or somewhere there about.....Maybe!

Good luck

Keith

Thanks Keith :) Good idea... but Bill's diagram has shown the little 'V' brackets that I said I wouldn't do... but they would make it easy to mount the tank eh? Then I could just stick the side supports on without worrying about alignment etc... :hmmm: 

As promised I've blasted on the Night, painted the spinner white and squirted some white on the prop tips ready for the yellow:

43114805335_7eeaed0e29_z.jpg

Progress, of sorts.

• Like 9

Morning!

You know what I'm like when I get an idea in my head... something to do with crockery shops and male bovines...

When I stocked up on plastic 'that might come in' I bought some 'angle'. 'Aha!' I thought:

29083931057_4b342ea363_z.jpg

'With some fuse wire I could fix the thing and then faff around with the supports':

43977335952_c1debe0871_z.jpg

42216887280_a8d8acd3fc_z.jpg

44026188271_b52c7477a3_z.jpg

Hard tp photograph (and paint later) but that seems to have done the job.

Thanks goodness.

• Like 11

Not dry, no, but most of the bars are associated with hotels. Being drunk in public is another matter entirely, that will certainly get you arrested!

In fact the bar at the hotel I'm in was even open from noon every day during Ramadan. They just closed the blinds.

They're pretty tolerant here, and there are always locals in the bar too!

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks Bill - I ignore your advice at my peril!! :D 

Thanks Ian :) Good to know you can get the occasional stiffener (when you're not flying). I found the same in Abu Dhabi some years ago - alcohol in the hotels, fruit juice everywhere else. It's quite a contrast eh? Looking at the streets of Bath on a Saturday night, I sometimes wonder who's got it right (on my way to the pub).

Enough faffing.

43120900505_058278009f_z.jpg

Kit supports roughly in the right place, new thinner rod at the back. 

Given the problems I had trying to photograph that no one's going to see them so a complete waste of time really.

I'll touch up when the glue's dry.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Morning!

You know what I'm like when I get an idea in my head... something to do with crockery shops and male bovines...

When I stocked up on plastic 'that might come in' I bought some 'angle'. 'Aha!' I thought:

29083931057_4b342ea363_z.jpg

'With some fuse wire I could fix the thing and then faff around with the supports':

And with a rope or too you could drop the blighter through. Don't be too hasty now.  

john

• Haha 2

I'm up to page 6 but must away to bed, I'm sure by the time I return on the morrow, we'll be looking at pp 11-12.  :( I missed this as I celebrated struggled with my late MiLs demise, still trying to catch up with a life put on hold for 4 months & wouldn't have found this but for the rabble seen trying to peer through the windows. ;) Liking what I'm seeing a lot.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

And with a rope or too you could drop the blighter through. Don't be too hasty now.  

john

Thanks John - you never get nowhere if you're too hasty :D

(For non-offciyenados it's Bernard Cribbins 'Right Said Fred' - classic!)

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm up to page 6 but must away to bed, I'm sure by the time I return on the morrow, we'll be looking at pp 11-12.  :( I missed this as I celebrated struggled with my late MiLs demise, still trying to catch up with a life put on hold for 4 months & wouldn't have found this but for the rabble seen trying to peer through the windows. ;) Liking what I'm seeing a lot.

Steve.

No worries Steve - waiting for bits so there will be a short delay, plenty of time to catch up :) 

1 hour ago, Quietstorm7 said:

That's looking superb...the tank looks spot on now...well thought out !

Alan

Thanks Alan, very kind :) 

The supports have been painted, as has the prop:

29097470127_eb59e5d255_z.jpg

I can't progress much now until the PE windows arrive so she's been carefully packed up:

29097511877_ff06c02b00_z.jpg

To keep me busy, I've started a thread on the, gulp, B-36. Over here. And here, and here, some bits are over there...

I going to need a bigger bench.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

going to need a bigger bench.

Most definitely so! :frantic:

Not had time to catch up yet, but the last installations are just brilliant :clap:

Ciao

• Thanks 1