Lysander - Eduard 1/48

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Some (but not all) fiddly bits done:

and what a nice job you have made of them sir.

and I must thank you for linking my Lysander build again - I read through about 15 pages at the weekend and it was great fun.  I think that's the first time I've ever gone back to one of my builds and read it through... it was like someone else had built that Lysander I had forgotten so much

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks Adrian, Stuart, Simon (especially for the tube glue tip), Martian, Tony, Hendie and Johnny :)

Back from a few days in London helping the younger daughter move into her new flat. That's both of them settled in their first homes, some sort of landmark I guess...

The new flat is in Whetstone and I like the place (for a big city). Nice mix of shops and non-chain restaurants, especially the Whetstone Cafe that does an amazing English Breakfast for just over a fiver:

42915585535_d1dfcb9c7e_z.jpg

just managed to get through that lot - nom nom nom.

Saw this in M&S:

42915585835_9ed37c32a4.jpg

… and it took a while before I realised that 'Made Without' was the name of their wheat/gluten free range and NOT a new range of diet sandwiches :D 

I've used up my PE mojo getting these four knobs and 'key thing' fitted after much pinging:

43775344312_fc1f277846_z.jpg

Sorry about the photo - it's tiny(ish).

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, CedB said:

just managed to get through that lot - nom nom nom.

Lightweight!! Look at that mini egg - should have been three of them. And two sausages. And another slice of bacon. And where's the fried tomato....?! :)

Those sarnies confused me - until I read your caption!

Good to hear both the girls are in their own homes - it just struck me that my daughter (30 today, good grief!) is in her third house - we've only ever had two! My son is getting itchy feet to move on too - just after he's finished the huge extension he's built on his current place!

Nice IP !

Keith

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CedB said:

especially the Whetstone Cafe that does an amazing English Breakfast for just over a fiver:

Hello Ced good to see you back. IP looks good. One question: When do you have your breakfast? I think you can get something similar for lunch here, but never for breakfast Especially, if all of it is warm. Inconceivably. I must try the baked beans sometimes. You can get them here. If you like roasted blackpudding, you should try this traditional german meal called "Himmel und Erde mit gebratener Blutwurst" The only one I like blackpudding:

https://www.springlane.de/magazin/rezeptideen/himmel-und-erde/

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CedB said:

especially the Whetstone Cafe that does an amazing English Breakfast for just over a fiver:

Why did you go and post that photo?

1.  I hate you

2.  Can't be a really good breakfast 'cos there's no tattie scones!

3.  How much is postage?

Black pudding - I love black pudding.

• Haha 4

Oh yes a good fry up.  I used to go to a massive industrial estate in Hartlebury to pick up three piece suites years ago in my lorry and the cafe there did what they called a He-Man breakfast which was double everything and refills of tea. The breccy was served on a massive oval platter and I didn't need to eat for the rest of the day. It was huge.

Great work on the interior Ced the IP is looking fabulous. 

All the best 

Chris 

Edited by bigbadbadge
Bloomin predictive text
  • Like 3

Good to see you back, hope the daughters are both happy in their new homes.

Do you now have the house to youselves  or are there more offspring lurking around? If not you could now have a dedicated model show room lined with book and display cases and a big table in the middle for when you move up to 1/32 scale. 😁

Edited by Biggles87
  • Haha 1

Keith is right Ced, one puny little egg nor no fried bread with the skinniest sossidge in captivity...

One of the best fried brekkies I ever had was at the Famous Grouse distillery cafe

Lorne sausage x2, fried eggs ditto, tattie scones, bacon and beans (with white bread toast) all over a slice of fried bread with a chunk of tomato

That was breakfast the morning we came home from Crieff, lasted all the way home to Brummwichamshire.

It looks like we've gone and lost a fine 72th scale man for the temptations of quarter scale...

Ah dear Ced, we knew him well 😉

However you are doing a rather tasty job with this, the i.p. and radio really show the twin advantages of good etch and quality detailing

Carry on Ced, evolution triumphs

👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Lightweight!! Look at that mini egg - should have been three of them. And two sausages. And another slice of bacon. And where's the fried tomato....?! :)

Those sarnies confused me - until I read your caption!

Good to hear both the girls are in their own homes - it just struck me that my daughter (30 today, good grief!) is in her third house - we've only ever had two! My son is getting itchy feet to move on too - just after he's finished the huge extension he's built on his current place!

Nice IP !

Keith

Thanks Keith - it was certainly enough for me! :) 

Your daughter is in her third house? Crikey, that's moving some (see what I did there?)

17 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced good to see you back. IP looks good. One question: When do you have your breakfast? I think you can get something similar for lunch here, but never for breakfast Especially, if all of it is warm. Inconceivably. I must try the baked beans sometimes. You can get them here. If you like roasted blackpudding, you should try this traditional german meal called "Himmel und Erde mit gebratener Blutwurst" The only one I like blackpudding:

https://www.springlane.de/magazin/rezeptideen/himmel-und-erde/

Hi Benedikt :) Breakfast first thing in the morning... "Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dinner like a Pauper" is supposed to be the rule :shrug:

That German version looks good though - yum!

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great to have you back Ced. The (ahem) nobs look great and that M&S sarnie actually made me LoL. I think they need to re brand their “Made without” range.🤣

Thanks Johnny :) It had me thinking for a while I can tell you... perhaps @rob85 should have a word... if he's still about.

11 hours ago, hendie said:

Why did you go and post that photo?

1.  I hate you

2.  Can't be a really good breakfast 'cos there's no tattie scones!

3.  How much is postage?

Black pudding - I love black pudding.

Sorry Hendie :) Ah, tattle scones, I like those. 

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh yes a good fry up.  I used to go to a massive industrial estate in Hartlebury to pick up three piece suites years ago in my lorry and the cafe there did what they called a He-Man breakfast which was double everything and refills of tea. The breccy was served on a massive oval platter and I didn't need to eat for the rest of the day. It was huge.

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks Chris - sounds like a trip to Hartlebury is worth a diversion :) 

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Good to see you back, hope the daughters are both happy in their new homes.

Do you now have the house to youselves  or are there more offspring lurking around? If not you could now have a dedicated model show room lined with book and display cases and a big table in the middle for when you move up to 1/32 scale. 😁

Thanks John :)  Our nest is empty now... and I do have a dedicated room but no display cases (yet).

Move up to 1/32 scale? Now wait a minute, I've already succumbed to your persistent pressure to try 1/48! Is there no stopping you man? :D

(I do have a Wingnuts Camel in the stash)

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Keith is right Ced, one puny little egg nor no fried bread with the skinniest sossidge in captivity...

One of the best fried brekkies I ever had was at the Famous Grouse distillery cafe

Lorne sausage x2, fried eggs ditto, tattie scones, bacon and beans (with white bread toast) all over a slice of fried bread with a chunk of tomato

That was breakfast the morning we came home from Crieff, lasted all the way home to Brummwichamshire.

It looks like we've gone and lost a fine 72th scale man for the temptations of quarter scale...

Ah dear Ced, we knew him well 😉

However you are doing a rather tasty job with this, the i.p. and radio really show the twin advantages of good etch and quality detailing

Carry on Ced, evolution triumphs

👍

Lost a 1/72 man? No fear Bill, this big stuff is a mere diversion (caused by the Cessna) before I return to the one true scale :) 

Good to see the British male's passion for full breakfasts is still alive and well, despite the skinny people whining on about 'healthy eating'. I refuse to exchange any of my current pleasures for an extra few months in the Nursing Home...  Time for the Hunter Thompson quote again?

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Life's also probably too short to be fiddling around with tiny bits of PE, but the main bits are done now:

43121985424_0a3d208346_c.jpg

42030650950_9abf5493ac_c.jpg

43838975241_b2cb17115a_c.jpg

I think that last panel down the frame is on upside down... what do we think? I think I'll turn it around...

• Like 14

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

All the best 

Chris 

Hartlebury?

If it's the industrial estate I'm thinking of, it's just round the corner from where my daughter lives at the moment!

• Like 3

"Back from a few days in London helping the younger daughter move into her new flat. That's both of them settled in their first homes, some sort of landmark I guess..."

Ced, I've helped my daughter (now 36, but don't say anything, I'm sure she'll not be happy I told you!) move into 4 homes now, and another new one very soon.

The job gets harder and harder, believe me! If I have to cart another 3 piece suite out of a house, into a van, out of the van, and into a house again I think I will say - enough!!

Glad everything sounds as if it went ok, very jealous of the breakfast, and like so many others baffled then laughed out loud at the sandwich!

Lysander's looking good, too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I refuse to exchange any of my current pleasures for an extra few months in the Nursing Home...  Time for the Hunter Thompson quote again?

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” 

Or maybye that way?

carlin-quotes(pp_w560_h418).png

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, CedB said:

"Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Prince and Dinner like a Pauper" is supposed to be the rule 

So it’s not dinner like a porker then? Perhaps that’s where I’ve been going wrong all this time!!!

As yet another with a soft spot for the Lizzy (from early Airfix 1/72 memories I guess) I’m going to tag along in the nice new extension with a games room that you’ve been good enough to knock up for us latecomers if that’s all right with you. Anyone for bar billiards?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, CedB said:

are done now:

43121985424_0a3d208346_c.jpg

I knew that lattice stirred an ancestral memory.

The old Airfix Fighter Command game!

DSCF2076.JPG

Remember when we all had mouths like that in the 70s....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Whofan said:

"Back from a few days in London helping the younger daughter move into her new flat. That's both of them settled in their first homes, some sort of landmark I guess..."

Ced, I've helped my daughter (now 36, but don't say anything, I'm sure she'll not be happy I told you!) move into 4 homes now, and another new one very soon.

The job gets harder and harder, believe me! If I have to cart another 3 piece suite out of a house, into a van, out of the van, and into a house again I think I will say - enough!!

Glad everything sounds as if it went ok, very jealous of the breakfast, and like so many others baffled then laughed out loud at the sandwich!

Lysander's looking good, too!

John I share your pain, although 'younger' stated "That's the last time I move myself" after the packing / unpacking, so there's hope yet :)

Are you at Thornbury for the Avon Show tomorrow? My turn for cake and coffee...

6 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Not a bad breakfast for a 5er sir.

A plate of cardiac arrest set`s one up for the day.

The Lizzie insides are shaping up quite nicely.

Simon.

Thanks Simon :) Cardiac Arrest over a full breakfast... not a bad way to go. An old Yugoslavian friend of mine, a real character, always said he wanted to live until he was 93 and then be shot by a jealous husband. Tail gunner in Lancasters. Now sadly gone, but WHAT a life he had.

5 hours ago, bbudde said:

Or maybye that way?

carlin-quotes(pp_w560_h418).png

Thanks Benedikt :) Backwards eh? Hmmm...

4 hours ago, Fatcawthorne said:

So it’s not dinner like a porker then? Perhaps that’s where I’ve been going wrong all this time!!!

As yet another with a soft spot for the Lizzy (from early Airfix 1/72 memories I guess) I’m going to tag along in the nice new extension with a games room that you’ve been good enough to knock up for us latecomers if that’s all right with you. Anyone for bar billiards?

:rofl2: Welcome Chris. 

2 hours ago, perdu said:

The last time I did it ended in fisticuffs, I will decline to opportunity to return to the tables OK?

Hi Bill - I'm not sure of the rules of bar billiards but I don't think it's supposed to end like that? Not around here anyway...

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I knew that lattice stirred an ancestral memory.

The old Airfix Fighter Command game!

DSCF2076.JPG

Remember when we all had mouths like that in the 70s....

Thanks Tony :) 

WHAT! I missed that game, dammit. Obviously I had a deprived childhood... Airfix games? Luxury! That said I was perhaps a bit old for it in 1976.

Found video here though - looks fun!

As a brief break from the internals I started sticking the cylinders on the engine:

43797708502_5ed6322a1e_z.jpg

Reminds me of a mouse somehow. Eeek!

Back to the frames (groan). Eduard's instructions could do with some more diagrams of what goes where. They go from 'assemble the sides':

42942722855_b224c7daa2_z.jpg

… to assemble the assemblies:

42942717565_f461eb1c24_z.jpg

Puzzled? Where the heck did this come from?

29976304388_48ae7b5b76_z.jpg

The central bit with the tanks stacked up... I guessed. Fingers crossed. I'm also a bit cross-eyed after following arrows and trying to see which 'blue bit' the parts go on to. Nasty.

It's also at times like this that I wish I had Martian's tentacles; trying to hold that part while positioning THAT part without those parts moving again drove me bonkers! I got to here after some time:

42037905590_dc25fd48fc_z.jpg

Tips for future modellers:

• There are some locating pegs on the back of the seat that rest on the frame - don't stick the bottom of the seat to the frame as the instructions might indicate (ask me how I know)
  • The extra tank seems to be just shoved onto the top of the main tank and there are no locating pins.
  • Clean off ALL the flash otherwise you'll be trying to get a quart into a pint pot (especially the rear floor)
  • The cockpit is square but the frame does converge towards the back so adding the rear bulkhead as a dry fit gives you confidence, but fit the rear floor first
  • It's easier to insert the control assembly from the bottom - mind the PE - and make sure the front locators are flat on the frame; I had to melt the rear support with some TET to get it level but eventually had this:

42943044895_00d534a8e3_z.jpg

I'l take some internal shots before full close up.

Off to the Avon show tomorrow - hope to see some of you there!

• Like 7

More done and photos of internals as promised:

43798777452_914dfdec44_z.jpg

43129850284_1b26ed392c_z.jpg

28910955257_fc5492fdc6_z.jpg

29977558028_495354b59d_z.jpg

Perhaps all that fiddly PE was worth it. :hmmm:

Seat goes in like this:

29977599468_844d10f71a_z.jpg

The back:

28911117927_342181682b_z.jpg

Does the extra tank really empty onto the back seat??

42944132085_0bde720e4b_z.jpg

All done, internals (mostly) hidden:

42039015170_0762c662ba_z.jpg

The good news is, if you make sure the locators are in the holes, it all goes together in a dry fit:

42039070610_35de0ee0c6_z.jpg

Phew!

Edit: Beware! That top part is the wing support and, if you don't fix it exactly right, it effects the strut position, dihedral and all sorts of other things.

I would recommend not glueing it until later when you can be sure everything's going to fit together.

• Like 11

Nice progress Ced!    :thumbsup2:

But I have one question - why didn't we meet for breakfast near the RAF Museum? Your photo has me dreaming of a full English, but I would add a sliced baked tomato, another banger, and perhaps another egg or two. Oh, and a prepaid admission ticket to the urgent care center. But it would be worth it. Kinda sorta like a garbage plate over here in Western NY, only we mix ours all up.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 1

John I share your pain, although 'younger' stated "That's the last time I move myself" after the packing / unpacking, so there's hope yet

Are you at Thornbury for the Avon Show tomorrow? My turn for cake and coffee...

Keep your fingers crossed it is the last time! The problem I have is that whewn my daughter moves again, probably in October/November, it's quite literally only about 4 miles away, so the partner has already said "we'll get a van like we did last time and do it ourselves".

You have no idea how far a heart can sink !

Yes I will be at Thornbury, joining you for cake and coffee sounds a wizard idea!

• Like 2