Lysander - Eduard 1/48

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Crikey what a crowd! Welcome everyone and thanks Simon for the snacks, again. We really should start a kitty...

No worries there Ced , but some suggestions on sandwich filings/snacks/ pizza toppings etc would be helpful. LOL

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

wow, not even 12 hours old and already I'm pushed into the nether regions of page 2..  There's something strangely attractive about a Lysander isn't there?

I shall be following this one closely.  Feel free to plagiarize my build and steal whatever you want (and thanks for the mention!).  I don't think anything is nailed down.

• Like 1

Nice with a Lysander, and the kit looks pretty nice! :)

Built the old Matchbox 32nd kit last year. Was fun! :)

Håkan

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CedB said:

I was going to choose another scheme from the five available but MAB is soooo memorable. That said I'm a bit sick of black at the moment... I shall ponder.

nah... all black is boring - what about this

deliveryService?id=NASM-NASM2014-01776-0

best of both worlds.

you'd need to modify the cowling though and probably a few other bits, but it is a striking scheme

caveat:  I don't claim to be any kind of expert on anything so don't know how authentic that scheme is

• Like 7

Nice start CedB.  I like Hendies scheme above, I think I have seen a similar scheme but with SEAC roundels for a change.

I am wondering who is going to take this kit and convert to the experimental version with the rear turret...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, perdu said:

P1130937.jpg

In case it helps...

Sorry Bill, I missed this useful photo while the rabble were crowding in... complicated innit? The kit has a nice internal frame so we shall see :) 

12 hours ago, Lovely Pig said:

Sorry I'm late but count me in, I'm a big fan of the Lizzie. I remember building a Matchbox mkII when I was nipper ;)

Welcome LP :) 

10 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

No worries there Ced , but some suggestions on sandwich filings/snacks/ pizza toppings etc would be helpful. LOL

Simon.

Thanks Simon! :D 

9 hours ago, hendie said:

wow, not even 12 hours old and already I'm pushed into the nether regions of page 2..  There's something strangely attractive about a Lysander isn't there?

I shall be following this one closely.  Feel free to plagiarize my build and steal whatever you want (and thanks for the mention!).  I don't think anything is nailed down.

7 hours ago, hendie said:

nah... all black is boring - what about this

[snip photo]

best of both worlds.

you'd need to modify the cowling though and probably a few other bits, but it is a striking scheme

caveat:  I don't claim to be any kind of expert on anything so don't know how authentic that scheme is

Thanks Hendie :) The kit includes a similar scheme for V9287 of 161 (SD) Squadron so your wish is my command!

8 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Nice with a Lysander, and the kit looks pretty nice! :)

Built the old Matchbox 32nd kit last year. Was fun! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan :) 

52 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Nice start CedB.  I like Hendies scheme above, I think I have seen a similar scheme but with SEAC roundels for a change.

I am wondering who is going to take this kit and convert to the experimental version with the rear turret...

Thanks GB :) I won't be adding a turret, sorry!

More reading this morning.

Julien's 2016 kit review with nicer sprue shots:

A very nice build (in French) on master194.com where he's opened the fuselage hatches... hmmm. :hmmm: 

4+ Wings Line book on the Lysander for download/review here.

The Tempsford Special Duties Squadrons' has some interesting background.

Finishing the Spitfire soon and then on to this...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CedB said:

A very nice build (in French) on master194.com where he's opened the fuselage hatches... hmmm. :hmmm: 

That's a cracking job - you did notice it's the Matchbox 1/32nd one though Ced? Be a bit more fiddly putting all the gubbins in the 48th one!

Keith

• Like 2

Oh for Goodness sake, haven't you got another child you can marry off to slow you down a bit? :whistle:

I spend a fruitless evening trying to install software on a new PC (XP difficulties with the last) and miss the best seats again. 

Well I'm sorry Ced, but I'm not struggling through the crowd, and as Mrs Hughes has me on a diet I can't bribe people to move over with popcorn, crisps and other delights, so I'll make do with looking over people's shoulders.

I remember as a young boy building the airfix 1/72 Lysander, the only thing I can remember about the build (I think my brain refuses to look in the cabinet marked "you call that a paint job?") was getting the wings on level was tricky.

It'll be interesting to see how this build goes! 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, CedB said:

That said I'm a bit sick of black at the moment... I shall ponder.

Simplicissimus. Just add yellow:

AN_GB_4311_Lysander_p001_W.png

Looks most dashing and quite the thing to buzz up for a spot of  cloud-bothering in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

My 96 year old dad told me not long ago when he was at #5 B&G School RCAF in Dafoe Saskatchewan, in 1943 they had some Lizzies, for pulling target Drogues, and the a/c had a hole in the floor for the winch line, one day one of the pilots took dad for a 'flip' and he said they flew out into the bald prairie, and the pilot was showing off, and ended up running one of the wheel along the tops of the moving CPR train cars, and then got tight enough to roll the wheels along the roof of a grain elevator............ all this with dad looking through the hole in the floor!!......he said they very often came back to the station with Wheat in the wheels....... were training pilots bored? I'd say just a little...... 

I'm watching this build with great interest......

Jeff

• Like 13

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's a cracking job - you did notice it's the Matchbox 1/32nd one though Ced? Be a bit more fiddly putting all the gubbins in the 48th one!

Keith

Thanks Keith - no, I didn't notice, thanks for saving me from the madness! :D 

8 hours ago, Whofan said:

Oh for Goodness sake, haven't you got another child you can marry off to slow you down a bit? :whistle:

I spend a fruitless evening trying to install software on a new PC (XP difficulties with the last) and miss the best seats again. 

Well I'm sorry Ced, but I'm not struggling through the crowd, and as Mrs Hughes has me on a diet I can't bribe people to move over with popcorn, crisps and other delights, so I'll make do with looking over people's shoulders.

I remember as a young boy building the airfix 1/72 Lysander, the only thing I can remember about the build (I think my brain refuses to look in the cabinet marked "you call that a paint job?") was getting the wings on level was tricky.

It'll be interesting to see how this build goes! 

Thanks John :) I do have another daughter but I don't think she'll get married just to slow me down. Honestly, the kids today...

Plenty of room up the front John since we moved to the new arena (arf arf).

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

[snip photo]

Looks most dashing and quite the thing to buzz up for a spot of  cloud-bothering in.

WASP! Oh, sorry Tony...

Having seen Bill's problems with his Annie I think I'll pass - thanks though :D 

1 hour ago, Biggu said:

My 96 year old dad told me not long ago when he was at #5 B&G School RCAF in Dafoe Saskatchewan, in 1943 they had some Lizzies, for pulling target Drogues, and the a/c had a hole in the floor for the winch line, one day one of the pilots took dad for a 'flip' and he said they flew out into the bald prairie, and the pilot was showing off, and ended up running one of the wheel along the tops of the moving CPR train cars, and then got tight enough to roll the wheels along the roof of a grain elevator............ all this with dad looking through the hole in the floor!!......he said they very often came back to the station with Wheat in the wheels....... were training pilots bored? I'd say just a little...... 

I'm watching this build with great interest......

Jeff

Great story Jeff, thanks for sharing :) 

1 hour ago, John_W said:

Ooh nice.

I have this one in the stash but never the time to do it justice.

Hi John - hopefully this will show you how easy it is... ahem :D 

I've made a start! I'm away for a couple of days so didn't want to do too much.

Cut the bits off the internal frame:

41826692530_c2ea52ea19_z.jpg

… which is good enough for me; I won't be 'doing a Navy Bird' and soldering a new brass one, sorry. That said there is a tiny moulding line... better get the flash sanders out.

This is weird:

42917792434_178485a79f_z.jpg

Nicely moulded little radio that they want you to cut the detail off before applying the PE. Hmmm, I think I'll find a lump of plastic and save the kit part for later.

• Like 13

I thought I'd do a bit before bed. Sometimes a bad idea.

I will say at this stage that no alcohol has passed my lips this evening (maybe that's the problem...)

Out with the mortice block, insert part and screw down guide:

29770121128_3db82d0406_z.jpg

Cut four bits of plastic and assemble:

42736598785_8f4f7923cc_z.jpg

Realise that slot isn't for 45o cuts. :doh:  :banghead: 

Do it again using the right slot and stick bits together with TET:

41832482790_a4936d4a2c_z.jpg

Oversize is better than undersize - I'll sand it to fit the PE later.

I'm not naturally good at this sort of thing (either).

When I got my first summer job after school I was working on a building site and convinced the foreman I should run the stores.

The Chippies (carpenters) would come in for their wood and, as we were refurbishing lots of houses of the same size, I came up with the idea of pre-cutting packs of wood to save the Chippies valuable time.

The boss approved so I measured up and counted the required bits and made up six house packs - the Chippies were impressed.

I was preparing the next set of six-house packs when one of the Chippies came in and said "Ced, how did you measure the architrave?"

"On the inside of the door, the same as the bumper strips"

"Fine", he said, "only you've cut them at an angle with that length on the outside of the frame".

:blush:

I cut down all the long bits for the tops of the doors.

Lasted ages.

I am an idiot.

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

we all do things like that sometimes

Jadar Hobby over in Poland do a couple of PE frets for the 1/48 kit.  Can be found here

I used them in my build... well, some of them.  I ended up not using the canopy framing as I did a Mk II so it's still kicking around somewhere.  Let me know if you want it as I'll never use it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hendie said:

we all do things like that sometimes

Jadar Hobby over in Poland do a couple of PE frets for the 1/48 kit.  Can be found here

I used them in my build... well, some of them.  I ended up not using the canopy framing as I did a Mk II so it's still kicking around somewhere.  Let me know if you want it as I'll never use it

Thanks Hendie, kind offer - the Eduard kit has internal PE thanks and I might have a go at Tony's tape-and-rivet-tool method for the framing (if I remember!)

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Blimey, what a crowd. I think I'll have to find a box to stand on outside and look through the window. Can you speak up a bit please?

John

Plenty of room down the front John - I SAID PLENTY... :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2018 at 6:26 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Fine I’ll sit at the bar ... Gimme a Guinness :drink:

Hello Ced,

I'm in too, at the bar beside my cousin... :cheers:

Havin' a beer, watchin' the game.....

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 4

On 7/24/2018 at 8:04 PM, Spookytooth said:

Refreshments have been refreshed dear chaps.

Although the chilli is on hold for now after the last incident.

Simon.

Ahow ! memories of Percy running at full speed in that poor goat is still alive !! :whistle:

was'nt there, did'nt do it... :rofl2:

sincerely

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 7/25/2018 at 10:01 AM, TheBaron said:

AN_GB_4311_Lysander_p001_W.png

Ha ha Special camo for our Dear Alien !!

Sure that she will be very appealling for @Martian Hale :whistle:

Me ? Did'nt say nothing, I'm just an honest neutral pirate !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

What? Wait!

Hang on, slow down man, some of us are not as good at keeping up as we used to be!

Nice to see it was equipped with a barrel of real ale for the observer though, very thoughtful!

Ian

• Haha 3

Thanks Guys :) 

Be good while I’m away and help yourself to drinks, EXCEPT the red bottle.

Stuart the mitre block is from here. Not sure I paid that much? Only good for the JLC saw as it’s very thin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2