Scampton to close.

bentwaters81tfw

27 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Also, no one seems to have mentioned that this will end Lincolnshire airshows.

Well spotted Pete, is this the death Nell for shows at active RAF stations (except RIAT) ?

It would be wonderful if it could retain an aviation orientated future but as we have seen many times, the housing corner usually come out winners in this fight.

I live in hope.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

While the Dambuster raid went from Scampton, the Sqn were based at RAF Woodhall Spa I believe, hence the very big 617 Sqn memorial in the village and memorabilia in the local hotel which was used as the Officers Mess in the war.  No one noticed when this, the real home of 617 Sqn slipped away from flying aircraft, to a maintenance facility for engines to a gravel pit as it is today.

617 formed RAF Scampton in March 1943 to train for and carry out the dams raid, moving to RAF Conningsby in August of that year to utilise the new concrete runways there as RAF Scampton still had grass runways. The squadron then moved on to RAF Woodhall Spa in January 1944 and stayed until June 1945, when they moved to RAF Waddington. So they did a bit of moving around.

Edited by cngaero
  • Like 1

Having spent a week there last year I can confirm it is a dump, most buildings are almost derelict with really only Stn HQ, the Reds hangars ,one joint mess and the NAAFI ,which is off site, in use , the accommodation blocks were so bad that for H&S (asbestos) reasons we were in tents beside the old officers mess.

Hopefully the 617 hangar can be preserved as a heritage centre and possibly the officers mess as a hotel ,apparently there are proposals for that.

The MoD is not in the job of looking after old airfields ,wasting hundreds of millions of pounds, their job is defence and now Scampton plays no part in that, sad to see it go but it no longer has a purpose.

• Like 6

On 8/17/2018 at 9:36 PM, Lord Riot said:

What's happening to the HHA Hunters?

The Marines must have some spare hanger space at Chivenor, now that would be something, Hunters returning home - obviously wont happen though 😒

• Like 1

Chivenor is the base of the Commando Logistics Regiment, RM; I believe all the hangars are taken up for workshops, garages and in-readiness stores.

Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bootneck said:

Chivenor is the base of the Commando Logistics Regiment, RM; I believe all the hangars are taken up for workshops, garages and in-readiness stores.

Mike

Yes Mike, wasn't being serious! They even filled the old apron up with sheds as well! Although I'm not sure how many Hunters you could fit in the old 22 Sdn SAR Hanger!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1