Tamiya masking tape quality

Vinnie

I've been using Tamiya tape since I came back to modelling and hitherto been very happy with it. I recently bought a roll of 40mm and found it to be not very good. It seems thinner, difficult to peel from the roll without tearing and leaves a sticky residue behind. It's even a different shade of yellow to the narrower versions I have. I bought it from an Amazon seller who insists it must be genuine as they buy their stock directly from the Tamiya UK agents. Has anyone else had a problem with the wider tapes?

Doesn't sound very genuine to me. Was it sealed in a cellophane type packet with Tamiya logo?

By the way, I only use the narrower Tamiya  tape for immediate masking and cheap DIY tape for filling in the gap. 

1 minute ago, Paul J said:

Doesn't sound very genuine to me. Was it sealed in a cellophane type packet with Tamiya logo?

By the way, I only use the narrower Tamiya  tape for immediate masking and cheap DIY tape for filling in the gap. 

Yes, the packaging was branded Tamiya and the inside of the roll is printed 'Kamoi Tape'

I’ve got the same large roll and agree that it’s made from different material. To be honest, I hate the stuff and hardly use it. The narrower Tamiya tapes are so much better. Not sure what this one is and I cannot remember if it was the genuine article or not when I bought it. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I have a roll of the wide stuff and like Dave, I hate it. It's genuine Tamiya, but not the Kabuki tape as for the narrow versions. Mostly I cut slivers of it for holding things together while cement dries, or inside electronical stuffs for keeping wires bundled.

I have used the 40mm tamiya stuff in the past, but recently i switched over to Kip tape, feels and looks the same as the bigger tamiya tape rolls, just a quarter of the price and can be bought in wider widths 

Here's a link to where i get mine from http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/k/KIP_3808_FINELINE_ORANGE_WASHI_MASKING_TAPE/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwv-DaBRCcARIsAI9sba8Uzu6bazKWJBEBKjwWzsEOJqI0v2iNkzQpcwhF1uf_kPWvn4P4pNIaAtcGEALw_wcB

Same story here - yes it is genuine - but no it's not the same material.  It rips like a beggar and I 'avoid' it where possible - but I do use it from time to time when masking large areas.

On 7/24/2018 at 8:47 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ve got the same large roll and agree that it’s made from different material. To be honest, I hate the stuff and hardly use it. The narrower Tamiya tapes are so much better. Not sure what this one is and I cannot remember if it was the genuine article or not when I bought it. 

Cheers.. Dave 

On 7/24/2018 at 9:02 AM, Rob G said:

I have a roll of the wide stuff and like Dave, I hate it. It's genuine Tamiya, but not the Kabuki tape as for the narrow versions. Mostly I cut slivers of it for holding things together while cement dries, or inside electronical stuffs for keeping wires bundled.

21 hours ago, gareth said:

I have used the 40mm tamiya stuff in the past, but recently i switched over to Kip tape, feels and looks the same as the bigger tamiya tape rolls, just a quarter of the price and can be bought in wider widths 

Here's a link to where i get mine from http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/k/KIP_3808_FINELINE_ORANGE_WASHI_MASKING_TAPE/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwv-DaBRCcARIsAI9sba8Uzu6bazKWJBEBKjwWzsEOJqI0v2iNkzQpcwhF1uf_kPWvn4P4pNIaAtcGEALw_wcB

20 hours ago, BIG X said:

Same story here - yes it is genuine - but no it's not the same material.  It rips like a beggar and I 'avoid' it where possible - but I do use it from time to time when masking large areas.

Thank you, everybody. From your comments, it sounds genuine. What a surprise to find such rubbish quality from Tamiya.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've found it very variable. I have two rolls: one is very good and behave well, the other has a greasy feel, and slides around when you try to cut it situ. Both came from Tamiya logo'd bags...