FROG Fairey Barracuda, Tirpitz raid, 1/72

FROG 1/72  Barracuda Mk.II

829 Squadron , Fleet Air Arm, HMS Victorious 

Flew on the mission to Attack the German Battleship Tirpitz, 1944

This kit has been in the stash so long, I honestly can't remember when I bought it.

The recent Carriers Ahoy Group Build on here offered the perfect opportunity to build this one. Work in progress link below.

Let me know what you think

cheers Pat

IMG_3922

IMG_3923

IMG_3924

IMG_3925

IMG_3926

• Like 39

Hi Pat,

as far as I am concerned, the Barracuda is one of these aircraft only its mother would call beautiful... No improvement on the Stringbag in the looks department!

OK, now that I have been nasty to a member of a minority group, I dare say you have done a great job on this model. I love the nightmarish canopy!

Congratulations for a superb build.

JR

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 1:38 AM, celt said:

Got to love those Frog kits,well tidy model.:clap2:

Thanks very much, yes this kit came in the old Red box for those with a knowledge of FROG kits !

On 7/24/2018 at 2:46 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice Barracuda 👍

Thank you 

• Like 1

Aaaah..... my old friend!

Nice job on a cool vintage kit

Great scheme and from a bloke who shudders at canopies (which has stalled many a project.....) hats off to you on the Barracuda!

All the best

Bruce

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 11:04 AM, Eric Mc said:

Beat me to it. I'm working on that kit at the moment.

Nicely done.

Hi Eric

Thanks very much, good luck with your Barracuda. Which decal option are you going for the Tirpitz one or the Far East one ?

cheers Pat

I'll need to remind myself which one I'm doing (it's parked at the moment whilst I complete some 1/144 classic airliners). It will be a European theatre aircraft rather than Far East.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 5:55 PM, jean said:

Hi Pat,

as far as I am concerned, the Barracuda is one of these aircraft only its mother would call beautiful... No improvement on the Stringbag in the looks department!

OK, now that I have been nasty to a member of a minority group, I dare say you have done a great job on this model. I love the nightmarish canopy!

Congratulations for a superb build.

JR

Thanks very much JR, 

The canopy was easier than I thought as AdrianMF gave me a top tip some time ago, and it really works

cheers Pat

18 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thanks very much JR, 

The canopy was easier than I thought as AdrianMF gave me a top tip some time ago, and it really works

cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

when AdrianMF gave you this tip, it was either sotto voce, or I was elsewhere doing things the law barely tolerates and the moral positively disapproves of...

Any chance to get a repeat of the magic incantations? I have my Enigma machine warming up, if it is still Top Secret!

Again, impressive work on such an ancient molding.

JR

• Like 1

Hi JR

No he didn't swear me to secrecy so I can happily tell you, and its so obvious I can't believe it didn't occur to me.

Use tape of the correct width if possible and mask the canopy in one direction. I.e. If it's the Barracuda I did all the vertical framing by putting tape across the canopy side to side over the top as it were. If you can't find the right size tape for the gap, use two smaller bits and overlap them in the middle to keep the straight edge to the outside. Then paint.

Allow to dry, remove tape if happy, then tape the horizontal framing in the same way you did the vertical.

this then leaves any awkward angled ones till last. Again put a small bit of tape either side and touch in with a brush.

This method worked a treat with the Barracuda, had I tried to cut out individual shapes of masking for each bit of canopy I would have never finished it.

All credit to AdrianMF

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Nice job mate, made this when I was a lad back in the early 70's then attempted again (Novo) in the late 80's but never finished it.

I have the latest SH tooling, we'll see if it turns out as impressionable as yours. A classic.

:goodjob:

Davey.

8 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi JR

No he didn't swear me to secrecy so I can happily tell you, and its so obvious I can't believe it didn't occur to me.

Use tape of the correct width if possible and mask the canopy in one direction. I.e. If it's the Barracuda I did all the vertical framing by putting tape across the canopy side to side over the top as it were. If you can't find the right size tape for the gap, use two smaller bits and overlap them in the middle to keep the straight edge to the outside. Then paint.

Allow to dry, remove tape if happy, then tape the horizontal framing in the same way you did the vertical.

this then leaves any awkward angled ones till last. Again put a small bit of tape either side and touch in with a brush.

This method worked a treat with the Barracuda, had I tried to cut out individual shapes of masking for each bit of canopy I would have never finished it.

All credit to AdrianMF

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat,

all I can say is "Doh"...

I hope AdrianMF has patented this method! So simple and so brilliant...

Doh!

JR

• Like 1