Listening to the Solstice

On 11/11/2019 at 5:52 PM, Heather Kay said:

I’m really going to have to think about getting one of those cutter thingummy-doodahs.

If it persuades you Heather I've not regretted the outlay for one moment - indeed, I find the device indispensable now for a whole range of tasks.

On 11/11/2019 at 6:18 PM, bigbadbadge said:

I can't wait to see the canopy masking removed.  

It'll be a while longer yet I'm afraid Chris - time is in such short supply at present around work.

On 11/11/2019 at 6:34 PM, Spookytooth said:

As for roast spuds, try dusting them in Semolina!

I will do Simon! :thanks:

On 11/11/2019 at 6:58 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Treble top followed by a bullseye!

Ey-oop. Let's see what tonight's prize is:

jim1980s.jpg

On 11/11/2019 at 7:49 PM, Hamden said:

Really nice work those roundels look superb!

On 11/11/2019 at 7:54 PM, giemme said:

Excellent roundelling, Tony!

On 11/11/2019 at 10:24 PM, hendie said:

Like those before me, I am in awe of those roundels - very nice finish indeed.

All hail the Oramask is all I can say! :worthy:

On 11/11/2019 at 10:24 PM, hendie said:

I think I mentioned before but I am seriously considering ditching my Alclad aqua gloss

On 11/12/2019 at 8:28 AM, Terry1954 said:

On the limited number of times I have used Alclad gloss, I too have had curing issues, yes weeks sometimes.

giphy.gif

I can't hear you. :rofl2:

On 11/12/2019 at 9:28 AM, giemme said:

Truth be told, I only sprayed it on top of acrylic colors (both vinyl style like Lifecolor/Vallejo and alcoholic style like Tamiya) and metal finishes. I did use it to dip canopies (and some touch ups by brush too)

Thanks for that info G as it's the use I'd intend it for. Time will tell....

On 11/12/2019 at 8:44 PM, general melchett said:

Lovely job on the old bus Tony

Merci mon General. Sorry not to get to Telford to meet you this year but maybe next?

Your battleshorts looked magnificent however!

On 11/12/2019 at 9:27 PM, perdu said:

my first foray into its use  will be exposed when the Chinook gets unmasked

Much breath is bated in this instance Bill!

On 11/13/2019 at 8:50 AM, Martian Hale said:

Muchly impressed Sir!

Honeyed words from you esteemed xenomorph. :thanks:

On 11/13/2019 at 10:55 PM, The Spadgent said:

Lovely variation on your paint kid.

Kind words from the Pigmentmeister himself Johnny. :thanks:

On 11/14/2019 at 8:53 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Amazingly realistic weathering on those 1/72 roast spuds, too.

A week later and am still waiting for the Alclad Aqua to cure on them....

Back last night from a sensational time at the Ulster Aviation Society at the weekend. More on that in a sec.

Firstly, despite the time-famine at present regarding access to the bench, I did manage to get this done during the week:

49083989482_908ce09e7e_c.jpg

Looks all nice and smart &etc. but try mating that flap to the  tray and a succession of those ribs just cant over or drops off, despite the ministrations of Gator's Grip. Utter PITA and we ain't talking Greek bread.

It's not the fault of the Flightpath PE for those ribs - in their original design and construction they worked fine with the rest of the etch for the flaps that locked those ribs nicely in to place; however, as you recall the PE is designed to the inaccuracies of the Airfix kit and so of no use here. Truth be told I'm out of patience now trying to salvage what remains of the internal flap structure so will live with having them just open a peek to indicate structure, but not enough to show the lack of internal detailing. Hopefully I can get the primed and some green on them during the week.

Back to Belfast and as mentioned a great day out with friends who had organized a surprise visit to the UAS hangars over at the old RAF Long Kesh / Maze/ Long Kesh prison site. These are a set of old T2 hangars built in 1940 that originally held two Stirlings at a time but which now house an amazing set of well-looked after aircraft:

49083826671_e3354417fd_b.jpg

- both mainstream and also many related to specifically to Shorts and N.Irish aviation heritage.

Being the winter months the hangars aren't open to the general public so it was more like visiting an actual working hangar with all the volunteers fixing and moving stuff - they're about to take delivery of a Tornado and in a few months a Hawk, hence the way that things were currently piled in around each other. I didn't get to photograph everything of interest (there was simply too much), but amongst other things was able to climb in/under/around:

Westland's attempt at @hendies HC.2:

49083976847_ed93f7d137_z.jpg

He's yet to reveal to us though how he's going to build the fluffy dog:

49083245028_d8e8b887a4_b.jpg

(late in the day H but managed to get lots of closeups of stbd side and interior if anything needed)

As seen above the PR.9 was beautiful in the winter ligth streaming in through the hangar windows:

49083761686_87afaf8f16_b.jpg

We were taken round by Ray, the Hangar Manager, who was always ready to swing open a panel or nose upon request:

49083977832_33a9563030_b.jpg

Ray was also enormously tolerant of me sloping off and crawling under places you weren't normally allowed - including getting my head up into the hatch for the recce camera at the rear of this beast. It had been explained to him in advance that I was a modeller so suspect he was aware of the species and its peculiar needs. He was also a fund of incredible aviation lore and experience, not least of which being how two of them got the wings off the PR.9 on their own to bring it Belfast (frozen wing bolts...).

Obligatory homage to 007:

49083764396_ed80d1d9fa_b.jpg

Did get to crawl around under the belly and take plenty of shots but no plans to build her. It has to be said that their paint guy is an absolute wizard isn't he? (Despite being RAF and having to hold his nose and do an FAA job! 😄) She's so well preserved because when they got her (from Leuchars I think?) there were 5 coats of paint on the airframe....

Ray himself is still working on the Wildcat Mk.5 that was salvaged from Portmore Lough after crashing there in 1944:

49083247933_de07082160_b.jpg

Being buried in freshwater and silt there's some amazing preservation of original parts - check the edge of that wingfold  - it's all the original structure.

Ray's bench is light years better than mine:

49083766911_755fe5abba_b.jpg

He's working on a new windshield:

49083970237_4d303a8c59_b.jpg

and wing:

49083970767_06438fbca9_b.jpg

You certainly just shut up and listen reverently when a craftsman of this calibre allows you into their worskspace.

Spent a long time at the end stomping around XV361 also:

49083253538_253d2fbbd3_b.jpg

It's astonishing just how BIG this thick-ankled beast is up close!

Some VGs for the afficianados:

49083251728_7f8341cd34_b.jpg

and the airbrake:

49083971357_5fd02ff51f_z.jpg

By this stage we were losing that beautiful light and I was feeling a bit overwhelmed myself.

I was persuaded by friends to reluctantly sit in the cockpit of the replica Spit at the end:

49083922791_48d92c66a5_b.jpg

I'll bung the full album up on Flickr when time permits.

To finish: they are an awesome group of people doing truly world-class work in preserving aviation heritage and need all the support they can get.

If you go to N.Ireland and do not visit them I shall hear of it.

Catch you later in the week mes braves.

Take care until then.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Lively pictures.  Tell that paint guy a) while he’s got his nose held to get on and paint that Buccaneer in a scheme worthy of a Naval design; and b) to avoid Aqua Gloss (apparently).

• Haha 7

45 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

If it persuades you Heather I've not regretted the outlay for one moment

Ah, it’s not the outlay as such. It’s more about where to put the danged thing once I have it! Space is a bit of a premium here at HK Towers. 😕 

Edited by Heather Kay
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

49083977832_33a9563030_b.jpg

Ray was also enormously tolerant of me sloping off and crawling under places you weren't normally allowed

Great to see you dressed for the occasion Tony - nice gloves! :D 

• Haha 7

On 11/13/2019 at 12:06 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

But (to continue your borrowing of phrases from Queen Elizabeth) at least it’s “a feeble basket case of England”.  

Additionally, I do hope you take a bath more than once a year, whether you need it or not!

Ian

• Haha 3

I've been hiding for a while, but every now and then had alook at your progress.

I have to say she's wonderful and the painting is asgood as metal detailed interior.

What a lovely build!!!:like:

Edited by Massimo
  • Thanks 1

He thinks I didnt see the 330

Wrong dude I see her, lurking back  there in her shiny splendour

If I ever revisit the 330/Sherpa line again it will be for a beautiful shiny 330

Such  powerful shape to scratch build

sherpabuild-August19-015.jpg

Caught it bad didnt I?

Great photos Tony thank you mate

• Like 9

On 11/18/2019 at 11:07 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Tell that paint guy a) while he’s got his nose held to get on and paint that Buccaneer in a scheme worthy of a Naval design;

Might take the Iwata up meself next time and have a crack when nobody's looking. #itneedededsgyourhonour

On 11/18/2019 at 11:12 AM, giemme said:

Lovely pics, Tony

Ta G. :thumbsup2:

Been organizing them into albums last night so will stick links up below if anyone needs anything...

On 11/18/2019 at 11:31 AM, Spookytooth said:

Lots of Ref pics for the future builds ?

Would be lying if I said a Bucc will be necessary at some point in the the future Simon. I've a compressor blade from a Spey I'd hope to use as a mount.

On 11/18/2019 at 11:40 AM, Heather Kay said:

It’s more about where to put the danged thing once I have it! Space is a bit of a premium here at HK Towers.

With the Bluetooth connection it does lend itself to being tucked away Heather and once folded down has a surprisingly compact footprint. :nodding:

23 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Great pictures Tony.

Thanks Terry. Links below...

23 hours ago, CedB said:

Great to see you dressed for the occasion Tony

I wouldn't be seen dead without inflatable trousers these days Ced.

Pilots have all the best fetish gear it seems!

21 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Additionally, I do hope you take a bath more than once a year, whether you need it or not!

What was it dear Quentin C said about dust? After the first few months you don't notice any more?

20 hours ago, Massimo said:

I have to say she's wonderful and the painting is asgood as metal detailed interior.

What a lovely build!!!

With you and Giorgio being two of Italy's top paint maestros looking over my shoulder Massimo I feel obliged to keep on top of the game! 😅

20 hours ago, rob85 said:

looks like some amazing work and a great place to visit.

It will not disappoint Rob.

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Wrong colour....  :whistle: :rofl:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the RAF were a kid gloves outfit.

Must have been on a Navy blog....

16 hours ago, perdu said:

He thinks I didnt see the 330

You have eyes like a bloody hawk Bill - how d'ye notice that? 👏😁

Ray had a great story of airlifting her over from Aldegrove to the museum by Chinook:

Flat bottom to 330 gives good lift at speed.

Pilot unaware of 330 now rising steadily upward to meet Chinook.

Ground radios to pilot that reduction in speed may be necessary to avoid a superimposed Chinook/330 hybrid....

17 hours ago, perdu said:

Such  powerful shape to scratch build

sherpabuild-August19-015.jpg

Love it Bill! :clap:

Handsome camo work indeed.

I'm a lazy swine when it comes to organizing stuff on Flickr but did lash the weekend photos into albums if anyone needs anything now or later:

Wessex HC.2

Buccaneer S.2B

Phantom FG.1

Puma HC.1

Canberra PR.9

Wildcat Mk.5

Managed to get Annie's flaps glued on this morning - hopefully a quick spray of black to tidy the seams this evening if not too tired...

• Like 10

I'm sure I read somewhere that the RAF were a kid gloves outfit.

Ours were leather with nomex palms IIRC - but in fetching olive green. By that time white gloves were a status symbol coveted (i.e. guarded with their lives) by the old guard, more often than not those who had flown air defence fighters . So it would have been unusual for a Canberra nav to have them, unless he'd nicked a pair...(not unheard of... :whistle:)

Managed to get Annie's flaps glued on this morning

Where's @CedB with the fnaars.....

K

• Haha 5

On 11/19/2019 at 11:52 PM, CedB said:

I've been down the pub! T

On 11/20/2019 at 8:06 AM, perdu said:

Bill who also went down the pub!

Anyone know if they ever came back? :laugh:

A pretty intense week has just passed all told, yet one of those you feel fruitful and positive about including - shock horror - a series of productive half hours grabbed at the bench along the way. A different mode of working from prolonged single sessions, but actually very good it turns out for reflection and anticipation of problems. I must try  this discipline more often!

Flaps were mentioned previously and the remaining elements received a good lash of verde around the gills on Monday:

49105667606_3894212055_c.jpg

The actual flaps themselves were a new set I knocked up from some thinner brass that had been delivered last week - this gave them sharper edges and corners more in keeping with the scale.

Not that a lot is visible in the final analysis:

49105160683_7e9818c397_c.jpg

Oddly I'm rather glad that my hand was forced in not being able to display these fully akimbo as it were, but just nicely open a crack to suggest internals.

The rest of the week then involved a series of visits to the undercarriage dept:

49105667661_7c4757d40a_c.jpg

Organizing the constituents:

49105667716_2d69a83a86_c.jpg

The requirement to label the sides this way is due to the differing mounting procedures for the oleos - shorter stbd ones go into the engine bearer of the exposed engine, longer port ones locate higher up into the roof of the nacelle.

Test fitting of the axle (0.5mm brass tube):

49105160143_4ef429fc1c_c.jpg

Then the nervy bit of checking how after all this time they fit into their respective positions:

49105160363_56b0e4c0d8_c.jpg

Some gentle persuasion in the twist and nudge dept. to get everything perpendicular in three dimensions but otherwise a surprisingly smooth conjunction. I've a vague recollection of many moons back spending some time fiddling with these sections long before paint went on so can only assume it was time well spent making sure the structures mated to requirement back then.

The axles of the undercarriage are terminated by a large collar on each side of the wheel - these were parts salvaged from the PE set - they look the part and although not quite as thick as the actual parts on the aircraft, once soldered into place give a decent approximation:

49105855327_5d2ceaa7a6_c.jpg

From the front:

49105667116_6d5bdc3734_c.jpg

This brings us in turn to the leg warmers above the wheels:

ca9bd1ada75136dc3f5092d94ad50332.jpg

Avro having anticipated the roller disco look elected to put what I can only describe as some kind of protective sleeve on the lower oleos - from photos I can't work out is it made from rubber or some kind of rubberized canvas but it's present on so many contemporary wartime shots that it needs to be added, here from Washi tape:

49105160518_6efaf27c4a_c.jpg

Those sections of tape then got a  coat of diluted Gator's Grip to seal it into place, followed by a daub of Rubber Black:

49105667471_c493661a1e_c.jpg

The collars of the axles received some German Grey followed by a thinner wash of Flat Black.

Satisfied with the visuals of main gear, the tail wheel was duly test fitted:

49105160738_ce86ffe034_c.jpg

Main and tail then received a lashing of 24hr epoxy:

49105667516_b7441b4af5_c.jpg

- and were left to cure on the stove overnight.

Got home earlier and up-ended the Living Doll:

49105160593_b0b013c69c_c.jpg

Port engine unmasked too and pleased to report no intrusions of camo to mar the Cheetah's lustre:

49105160618_4db4ced414_c.jpg

Too drained after a full day to attempt anything delicate tonight but here's the site of tomorrow's intentions:

49105667556_1102100ec1_c.jpg

I need to add a small section of side window in at the rear of that pening on either side of the cockpit, then build the sliding panes and channels that hold them into place (these will be posed open). I'm also going to remove the top and bottom sections of foil defining that rectangle on the corners of the windshield and replace them with thinner strips of foil as those are currently too thick.

Doesn't sound like a lot to do which probably means I'll be at it a while... :banghead:

The remaining windows won't get unmasked until the very end, to protect them from my grubby mitts occluding them any further. The framing on those windows and the rear turret will also present an excellent opportunity to trial the Mr.Metal Primer to see how effective it proves.

Thanks for looking in and hope you have a great Friday evening everyone.

spacer.png

• Like 16

Well, that was some catch up I just did. Hugely impressive stuff, as always. Lovely to see Westlands effort at copying @hendie

The Wessex was my first Aircraft type when I got out of training. But, I fell in love with the remains of that Grumman.

And, I have to say, I agree with @Heather Kay with regards to the fin flash. Ah well, It's not as if you had anything else to do this weekend.

Meantime, this evening, I will be mostly consuming malt whiskey in a vain attempt to kill this damned virus!

Pete

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I’m afraid that fin flash isn’t right for 1940. Late 1942, if memory serves.

21 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And, I have to say, I agree with @Heather Kay with regards to the fin flash

Heather and Pete: Thanks for sparing my blushes you two - I'll respray those flashes tomorrow. :thumbsup2:

Ps. Hope you get over that lurgey soon Pete - plenty of cloves and lemon in hot whisky!

17 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Hello Tony, good to see it on the wheels now.

Took a while didn't it Benedikt? I'm almost surprised to see her in that condition myself!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I’m afraid that fin flash isn’t right for 1940. Late 1942, if memory serves. The three colours should be the same width, like the roundels on the fuselage.

Hi @TheBaron

AFAIK, you don't have a photo of N9945 (and I'm not about to try to flick through 90 pages)

Heather is corre3ct, you have used the post mid 1942 fin flash, usually called the C type.

Problem here is fin flashes were only introduced May 1940,  as were yellow outer rings to the fuselage roundel, and as order were descriptive, rather than a picture, there are variations seen.

one typical Anson  fin flash is on the box art, all the way back on page 1

41782459250_e83dc6e2da_c.jpg&key=9eac052

seen here on another plane from the same Dutch unit. but note the fuselage roundel, with a narrow yellow ring, as it was easier to add a ring to the existing roundel, rather than a full repaint,  and a full width ring makes the roundel very large, but was seen as a variation as well.

British_Aircraft_in_Royal_Air_Force_Serv

Seen here as well, following the rudder line

full?d=1533598460

here's an example showing added yellow rings to the fuselage roundels, with a narrow ring

anson1.jpg

Which leads to my other comment/question,  (which there maybe an answer buried in the thread) 

Why black undersides? 

RAF types were specified to have Sky undersides in June 1940,  the exception being night bombers,  but I'm not sure where the Anson fits into the scheme here.  Which is why I ask.

On 23/07/2018 at 18:19, TheBaron said:
  • L7967: SAN* / BATDU**, transferred to RCAF in March 1941
  • N9938: BATDU, transferred to RCAF in Dec 1940
  • N9945 BATDU/WIDU***, crashed Stechford, Birmingham Nov 1940.

*School of Air Navigation

**Beam Approach Training and Development Unit

*** Wireless Intelligence Development Unit.

All three aircraft then were in BATDU during their secondment from Boscombe to Wyton to be re-wired with Hallicrafters radios for these beam missions. My understanding is that on 30th Oct 1940 BATDU became WIDU, before in turn becoming 109 Squadron later in December 1940. 

That narrows it down to three aircraft, but which one were Bufton/Mackie flying the night of the 21st? At the moment I can find no record confirming a specific serial number - even delving into the likes of the RAF Historical Assocation yields no clue. I do have feelers out in the hope of contacting a member of Bufton's family to see if this is recorded in his log books but have heard nothing as of yet.

What I don't know at all either is what would be the likely aircraft code letter &etc. for an aircraft in BATDU in June 1940 - before it became WIDU - as I can find no record for either of these units.

Were they such short-lived (or secretive, given the nature of the missions) units that they weren't assigned individual codes?

Two of the aircraft appear to have gone straight to BATDU from the factory so must have had something on them?

So, the question, what was the factory scheme?     

Hmm, maybe an @John Aero  may help here.  

HTH

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Which leads to my other comment/question,  (which there maybe an answer buried in the thread) 

Why black undersides? 

Discussed way back in the dark ages (no pun intended) of this thread. Conclusion was they might well have been black given the 'secretive' mission of the aircraft.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1