Listening to the Solstice

Lovely job!

Golden Virginia...that brought back memories. I rolled my own for many years! There was a lovely old tobaconnist's shop in Marlow that I used to frequent when I wanted something different. Long gone now of course.

Ian

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Lovely job!

Golden Virginia...that brought back memories. I rolled my own for many years! There was a lovely old tobaconnist's shop in Marlow that I used to frequent when I wanted something different. Long gone now of course.

Ian

Like a lot of shops Ian.

Nearly every town/city had a tobacconist somewhere.

• Like 1

Much as I like your camo job Tony - & I really do like it, I have to say that I really, really like those night undersides - they are what I imagine the real thing looked like - superb work all round!

Just back from Telford (where I missed the BM meet up as I was doing my volunteer stint on the member's entrance desk :( ) completely cream crackered, so off for an early night.....  :sleep_1:

Keith

• Thanks 1

On 11/10/2019 at 6:42 AM, CedB said:

Looking superb Tony :) 

Kind of you Ced. :thumbsup2:

On 11/10/2019 at 1:02 PM, limeypilot said:

I rolled my own for many years!

Me too! :laugh:

The feeling of confidence that heading out with a full baccy tin along with papers and lighter tucked inside gave has never been replaced.

The hallowed 10-12 mins carved out of the day by rolling up and smoking a gasper each time, knowing that the world would just have to damn well pause until you were finished.

On 11/10/2019 at 1:26 PM, Spookytooth said:

Nearly every town/city had a tobacconist somewhere.

Their replacement pretend-hipster vaping shops and pop-up stands just look so self-consciously contrived by comparison - does nobody have a cough and a spit any more? 😁

I remember reading in an Ian Fleming biography yonks back that he used to have a small shop (in the Mall I think) that did up his tailor-mades for him out of Turkish tobacco. Probably helped kill the bugger but classier that than spending your time sucking on Dr. Who's Sonic Screwdriver at the bus stop as a way of getting your fix...

On 11/10/2019 at 1:51 PM, hendie said:

Nice finish.  I love the non-uniformity of the sheen of the paint. It adds an aura of realism to the model

Ta H. That was the 'feel' I was struggling to produce so glad it came across. :thumbsup2:

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Much as I like your camo job Tony - & I really do like it, I have to say that I really, really like those night undersides - they are what I imagine the real thing looked like - superb work all round!

Damn decent of you Keith: I spent more time agonizing over those Night-nethers than about the actual camo up above tbh. :laugh:

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Just back from Telford (where I missed the BM meet up as I was doing my volunteer stint on the member's entrance desk :( )

Your service does you credit Brother Keith. Hope that you had a good show otherwise. :nodding:

20 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Tony your paintwork is superb. Loving the shiny and dull contrasts .

Kind as always Chris. (Can't beat a good buffing as therapy...)

On 11/9/2019 at 2:53 PM, bbudde said:

Hello Tony. Excellent work on the Annie. Back again in Münster since last monday. Will watch your paint development closely till christmas.😀

Danke Benedikt. 😁

Anyway. Got cracking on the various dartboards yesterday:

49043216358_ed0309e1cf_c.jpg

The damned cold/chest thing was playing merry hell with spirits and concentration however so this probably wasn't the best state of mind to approach such a delicate job with the masks:

49043930862_ba56378017_c.jpg

Oramask behaved impeccably.

I however was a flaming idiot and forgot to mix the reds and blues to more accurate hues/tones and sprayed straight from the jar.

Even forgot to paint the tail flashes altogether!:headbang:

Early night with Lemsip, chagrin and regret; slept 11 hours solid.

Working from home today on admin stuff thankfully so powered through everything that needed doing, sorted several intractable problems and with self-pity pushed to one side, ducked back in to remask the previous day's horrorshow:

49049237188_795fd499c6_c.jpg

The roundels had all been lightly sanded-down to avoid the reapplication of paint making giving them any surface relief and finally the ugly duckling has better looking plumage:

49049951612_2c9afc6785_c.jpg

I said that the Oramask was impeccable - look at how beautifully it hugged the ridges of the fuselage:

49049739716_d0822db8dd_c.jpg

Not a sign of leakage around any of the variously sized-circles:

49049739646_dc29731cdd_c.jpg

A few dots to touch up but minor matters. I'll leave anything like that to the very end when I've ceased handling the aircraft.

Fore:

49049951532_5f64a352a2_c.jpg

Aft:

49049951472_6dca560cf7_c.jpg

The continuity  in surface texture between roundel and camouflage are what really count for me here when they catch the light:

49049739756_602f30e17d_c.jpg

She'll sit in this garb for a few days curing now before I get a chance to come back and have a look at getting the flaps done:

49049237323_32a8ef97ec_c.jpg

Also have to paint the framing for the canopy and turret, so having some Mr.Primer turn up in the post (incredibly quickly!) from Wonderland in Edinburgh today was well-timed:

49049739586_54142341f5_c.jpg

Also couldn't resist the Aqua Gloss: can't get it in this country at all at the moment and have heard so much good about it that seemed foolish not to make the most of the courier charge.

A cold rainy blowy November night here so morale measure requiring the family have a roast chicken dinner. Experimenting with a new roast spud procedure - rolled in oil and then coated with a maize/salt & pepper crust before roasting:

49049951462_c838a815e0_c.jpg

Full report on results in the next update.

Scenes from the Don look grim over the weekend.

Hope wherever you are it's dry and warm indoors.

Take care til next time.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

50 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Dr. Who's Sonic Screwdriver

I like that one Tony.

And yes I do have one myself with the aim to quit smoking.

Those roundels look superb sir, all looking good.

As for roast spuds, try dusting them in Semolina!

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I’m really going to have to think about getting one of those cutter thingummy-doodahs. Those roundels are sublime. Hat well and truly doffed, sir.

Just do it, you won't regret it. :winkgrin:

Excellent roundelling, Tony! She's coming along just great! :worthy: :clap:

Ciao

PS: tatties look yummy :thumbsup:

Edited by giemme
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Full report on results in the next update.

looking for a tattie update pronto

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Also couldn't resist the Aqua Gloss

I think I mentioned before but I am seriously considering ditching my Alclad aqua gloss (and most of my Alclads') - I just don't find the finish durable at all - even after weeks of cure before handling.  Looks great when it first goes on, but as soon as I start handling it the finish deteriorates rapidly.  I'll be interested to see how you get on with it.

Like those before me, I am in awe of those roundels - very nice finish indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I miss a week or so and some back to find the Annie looking superb, especially those roundels. I really need to get to that level of modelling at some point. Airbrushed roundels are so the way to go!

9 hours ago, hendie said:

I think I mentioned before but I am seriously considering ditching my Alclad aqua gloss (and most of my Alclads') - I just don't find the finish durable at all - even after weeks of cure before handling. 

On the limited number of times I have used Alclad gloss, I too have had curing issues, yes weeks sometimes. That happened with some Alclad black gloss base, but that was quite an old stock, so tried again recently with a brand new bottle, and had success with that. I don't know if this Alclad curing thing is related to age (of stock, not us!) or what. I recall from another thread a while back @general melchett had similar issues, but others I've spoken to have never had an issue.

Mysterious forces at play perhaps........

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Mysterious forces at play perhaps........

Must be. I've never had a problem with Alclad Aqua gloss curing, although admittedly I've been using it only for a couple of years now (that's not a lot, it's just about six or seven models overall).

Truth be told, I only sprayed it on top of acrylic colors (both vinyl style like Lifecolor/Vallejo and alcoholic style like Tamiya) and metal finishes. I did use it to dip canopies (and some touch ups by brush too)

Ciao

• Like 2

That happened with some Alclad black gloss base, but that was quite an old stock, so tried again recently with a brand new bottle, and had success with that. I don't know if this Alclad curing thing is related to age (of stock, not us!) or what. I recall from another thread a while back general melchett had similar issues, but others I've spoken to have never had an issue.

Very true Terry, several years ago I had problems with Alclad's Gloss Black base, in that the stuff never seemed to cure fully. Not a huge fan of their metallics either and I must admit to no longer using Alclad, having switched over to AK Xtreme Metals and MRP a few years back. I have Aqua Gloss but never used it so can't comment on it's properties. For a good gloss coat I use MRP Super Clears or Mr.color GX100 thinned with Mr.Levelling Thinner. Just my tuppence worth.
Lovely job on the old bus Tony

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To add to the Aqua Gloss behaviour story, nothing

Yet

my first foray into its use  will be exposed when the Chinook gets unmasked

Which unfortunately will have to wait until the elderly carcass feels up to any shenaniganing in the garage in a few days

I have the paint of a king but the body of a feeble basket case (nfB)

:(

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, perdu said:

I have the paint of a king but the body of a feeble basket case (nfB)

But (to continue your borrowing of phrases from Queen Elizabeth) at least it’s “a feeble basket case of England”.  

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, general melchett said:

For a good gloss coat I use MRP Super Clears or Mr.color GX100 thinned with Mr.Levelling Thinner. Just my tuppence worth.

Always open to new ideas, so I'll give that combo a try. Thanks!

Terry

• Like 2