Listening to the Solstice

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The Met Office in the UK had some downright stupid posts on social media about breaking records as if it was all a big game.

Yep, mother earth rules so far and it's not a real big deal for her, I guess. These ridiculous "Bingo" statements of some records by some are as valuable as their comments on the aftermath after a  severe storm. Glad, nothing happend here this weekend, but it shows me, that this situation, which made it happen in 2014 can arise every year, everytime at every month in summer here and maybe more intense than that.  So no lapse or drop out over the last years. So enough of that.

Nice work on the Anson (ailerons) and on your greenhouse. Oh a cement mixer will be used, of course. For me this one:;

v291-7.jpg

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

23 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Nice work on the ailerons.

Cheers Daddy M.

(Must catch up with sundry Rocery and Fauvettism over at your place....)

23 hours ago, giemme said:

But then I'm only a common terrestrial, so what do I know....

Steady on Giorgio. Mere absence of tentacles does not render us second rate life forms you know!

(I think it's in here somewhere...)

http://www.unoosa.org/oosa/en/ourwork/spacelaw/treaties/introouterspacetreaty.html

20 hours ago, bbudde said:

Oh a cement mixer will be used, of course. For me this one:;

The less glamorous truth in my case Benedikt....

E10001.jpg

(Arrives at 8.30am tomorrow and will whine throughout the day like an ever hungry infant wanting to be fed.)

19 hours ago, bbudde said:

Nice one, but this is by far the best of him for me; especially on that movie:

'tripped on a cloud and fell eight miles high.'

<sigh>

I  miss being young sometimes....

Down to the optician's this morning to pick up a new set of occupational (bifocal) glasses. Having lost the previous pair on the very first day of the holiday I'd been reduced to scutinizing everything through reading glasses for the last three weeks - which hasn't helped concentration, or indeed eye-strain. I've started seeing a small independent optician in the local town and found her miles better than the popular 'chain' I usually 'should have gone to'. A brilliant woman interested in cognitive psychology, neural image processing and such like so what should have been a 30 min appointment turned into 1 1/4 hours. Plus she's into her tech and gave me a tour of all the amazing testing instrumentation: I always thought those machines that take the photo of inside your eye were a custom camera mount but it turned out the bit on the other side you don't normally see is just a standard DSLR camera back that takes the photo. Anyway. Wonder was that part of the problem the last few days of having to squint up close at the kit and not liking the posture...

Here's the aileron designs etched into some 0.2mm brass:

IMG_1261

The deep cut blade of the Silhouette isn't really designed for this sort of work (you can see where it skates around some of the corners) so I've been in contact with the Chomas people over in the States and am going to bag one of their precision tips as I I think this kind of process will prove invaluable in future in terms of transferring these kind of designs to metal. As per His Hendaciousness' tip, these lines were then subsequently deepened by stroking with a razor blade

I can't remember what this split metal cylinder was originally from but found it lurking around the studio;  whatever it used to be it's made up of two halves that worked for clamping the scored brass between to bend along the fold line:

IMG_1262

I've an old length of steel somewhere I might cut in half and try and make a proper set of bending bars from (see - I have been reading that link you sent @hendie! )

With both blanks popped free they were then hammered (gently) flat on the anvil to get a nice crisp fold line:

IMG_1263

The excess on one side of the fold is to give me some wiggle room on width when these were opened up to give the tapering aerofoil shape along the length of the aileron.

Eventually there was a Port:

IMG_1265

- and a Starboard:

IMG_1273

These took a while to get done, what with repeated offerings-up, bending open, checking for angles, clumsily bending shut again between fingers without noticing and then subsequently having to open out again (a ruler and razor blade were the best way I found of progressively prising open the wider flare of the aileron shape from wingtip to inboard).

Pleased with how the final profile integrates into the trailing edge:

IMG_1269

Overall apearrances:

IMG_1272

Can live with that.

In that shot you can see I've started laying down some tape along the interface between wing and aileron in preparation for marking out on each wing the positioning of the three hinges and what the manual refers to as the 'aileron operating lever' top and bottom (those rather Victorian bits of engineering surmounted with a mass balance). The latter features I reckon on soldering to the ailerons themselves as the most robust way of securing them, and will have a thinks as to whether this is feasible also with the (rather flimsy at this scale) hinges too.

Relieved to have got those ailerons done now: certainly I feel that they're better formed than anything I'd have been capable of wringing-out of a piece of plastic and has opened up a new methodology to me for making such features from metal now.

Anyone else on here find sometimes that it is the part telling how you need to build it?  :hmmm::rofl:

Concrete day tomorrow. Expect radio silence until nearer the weekend.

Hope you guys are doing well - I really need to take a trawl of your recent posts and see what marvels you've been up to!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 18

More enthralling and fascinating work with the brass.

I don't envy you on the footings work, I have recently done much garden toil including digging the outline of a pond and although its quite therapeutic, the two titanium bolts in my back sometimes complain a tad!

Hope the concrete work goes well.

Terry

• Like 1

I had me one of those back on the old land.  One of the best purchases I ever made

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

E10001.jpg

or one of the worst if you consider that I had to use it almost constantly over the next 5 or 6 years bringing the old homestead up to scratch.  It was great fun.    To begin with.

Some results of my handiwork can (barely) be seen here - walls haven't been capped at this point

Halloween75.jpg

I gradually rebuilt all of the retaining walls leading up into the garden out of random sandstone, plus patio's, paths, steps, more steps and so on. 

Those ailerons look fantastic Tony, but I've come to expect nothing less from your builds.  I'm at a loss to understand why more folks don't delve into brass work as it's really not that difficult - and sometimes easier than working with plastic.

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Relieved to have got those ailerons done now: certainly I feel that they're better formed than anything I'd have been capable of wringing-out of a piece of plastic and has opened up a new methodology to me for making such features from metal now.

I'm sure I speak write for a lot of us as I type I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Pleased with how the final profile integrates into the trailing edge

Quite right, they look spot on to me and I can't wait to see the little bits soldered on. Lovely stuff.

Good luck with the footings Tony - watch your back!

8 hours ago, hendie said:

Some results of my handiwork can (barely) be seen here

Um… er… can we assume that it was Halloween, or is this the Hendie version of 'beware of the dog'????

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

two titanium

You and I could probably start our own titanium works company. I have three titanium pins between L5/S1 with four screws into the same vertebra (two in L5, two in S1). Then I have two titanium rods connecting the vertebrae in railroad formation. The VA plans to add more, but I have been holding off for as long as I can. Three surgeries on my back so far, and it only gets worse after each one. I don't need them to give me more pain than I already have, or less sensation than I have in my legs, it's already creepy how paralyzed but functional my legs are.

Anyway, back on topic. Once again Tony, you have given me a few more points towards the 10% over/under original build material, so thanks for that, I am going to be rich!

Awesome job making yet another set of matched parts from scratch, a master class of what's possible on the bench, raising the bar as always. Those ailerons with their brass hinges will meld perfectly into the wings, and lest we get complacent, I must remind everyone at this juncture that this is still a 72nd scale aircraft!

I have run out of accolades,

Anthony

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, perdu said:

Excellent

Yes.

I do admire the skills of the metal-working modellers wot illuminate BM (Tony, Tom, hendie et al.). It’s all still a bit of a mystery to me.

Does make for jolly interesting reading :)

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I have no idea what that is Ben!

Hello Keith It's a sticker. Roundabout in mid the 80ties it was made (also) by the cement industry here in my former neigbourhood hometown. The big ones (maybe 1m²) were on the back of nearly every cement truck rolling in and off. So almost every morning, when I drove to school, I had to stare at one on a truck in front of us. Not so nice with all the colourful fields in the surrounding area of the plants. It means:

Make it better with concrete.

(Or: Make it better. With concrete!)

Conecrete connects.

Concrete deserves sympathie.

Btw: One aerial photo of that region for your own imagination:

Zementwerke_bei_Erwitte.jpg

Cheers Benedikt.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 7

39 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Hello Keith It's a sticker. Roundabout in mid the 80ties it was made (also) by the cement industry here in my former neigbourhood hometown. The big ones (maybe 1m²) were on the back of nearly every cement truck rolling in and off. So almost every morning, when I drove to school, I had to stare at one on a truck in front of us. Not so nice with all the colourful fields in the surrounding area of the plants. It means:

Make it better with concrete.

(Or: Make it better. With concrete!)

Conecrete connects.

Concrete deserves sympathie.

Btw: One aerial photo of that region for your own imagination:

Zementwerke_bei_Erwitte.jpg

Cheers Benedikt.

Nice fields

• Like 3

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Nice fields

Yep and along the plant towers in the back there is the former B55 main street, where all the traffic went through (inclusive me and my fellows to school then every day) and goes straight into town of Erwitte to cross the B1 central. Everyday a traffic jam till now as the railway goes alongside with cement from Erwitte, grey-green sandstone from Anröchte, grey stone from Warstein and of course beer from the Warsteiner Brauerei there. Nothing happend in Erwitte for a solution over 35 years. Worse than the new airport of Berlin, I can tell you. Everytime I come back,  the situation is similar to that in the mid 80" in Erwitte. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
Off topic Tony. Sorry, but it had to be said once more, even in the wrong place! Disgusted over the last 35 years about that.
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, hendie said:

Some results of my handiwork can (barely) be seen here - walls haven't been capped at this point

Halloween75.jpg

Judging from the top right of the picture, you seem to have let yourself go a bit recently Tony. The pantomime frock isn't one of your best either.

Martian (Fashion correspondent for the Martian Chronicle) 👽

• Haha 8