Listening to the Solstice

56 minutes ago, Stalker6Recon said:

If you read carefully and look closely at the pictures, there is also some human hair and what appears to be alien DNA added to this masterpiece of instructional insanity 

I haven't been anywhere near Tony's build!

Martian the Innocent 👽

• Haha 10

I knew, you would do that in your insanity of getting it right for yourself (Perfect for the others anyway). Have (a?) nice days with your friends. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2019 at 2:39 PM, TheBaron said:

Worse than that Benedikt - I fear this build will never end and I'm trapped in a fractal, never ending....

giphy.gif

Oscillating? Ok Tony. My favourite instrumental one for that (almost) Same level with Anne Clarks "Poem without a word".

Cheers, Benedikt, Obviously on a hot place tonight, Tony. ( My Router of the Telekom failed several times today, leaving me out of anything then.)

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

On 6/22/2019 at 1:58 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You did...what?  You cut it off?

Action this day! :laugh:

On 6/22/2019 at 1:58 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

As a rough estimate, how much Airfix is left?

At a guess I'd say we're into homeopathic amounts Crisp.

On 6/22/2019 at 2:04 PM, Spookytooth said:

I say about 20% if we are lucky.

Oooh you do exaggerate sometimes Simon! :laugh:

On 6/22/2019 at 3:38 PM, giemme said:

someone please hide cutting objects from this guy's viewing range....

Won't work Giorgio. I can smell a good blade from 200 metres.... 😆

On 6/22/2019 at 2:08 PM, Terry1954 said:

Bold as brass I'd say ............ but then we know that anyway!

I laugh in the face of peril, cry havoc at compromise, and never ever iron my underpants.

On 6/22/2019 at 3:22 PM, limeypilot said:

Cut it off - The only way to go when you're not certain, but know in the back of your mind it needs to be done!

No option then but to face it head on,

The way of the warrior Ian. Kudos. :worthy:

On 6/22/2019 at 3:31 PM, hendie said:

rather severe rhansonplasty but entirely necessary to achieve that look you are after. 

I'm veering toward a Caesar Augustus profile, though have my doubts about the cockpit recess...

322DAAED00000578-3491387-Minted_in_107_A

On 6/22/2019 at 5:51 PM, Martian Hale said:

About 1% of bugger all I should think!

Or as Euclid summarized: bugger ÷ all2

On 6/22/2019 at 5:51 PM, Martian Hale said:

And no Tony, crowdsourcing your lines is not acceptable.

Ooo-errr: I'm running out of delaying mechanisms....

On 6/22/2019 at 6:50 PM, corsaircorp said:

the cardboard box... at best... 

:rofl2: Not even that's safe CC....

IMG_1074

On 6/22/2019 at 8:59 PM, bigbadbadge said:

He is also taking hot scalpel blades to it and now gone and chopped off some of the nose,

😄

You can take the boy out of South London but you can't take South London out of the boy. #battersearules

On 6/22/2019 at 9:14 PM, The Spadgent said:

sorry couldn’t resist.

Not that I suspect you really tried. :rofl:

On 6/22/2019 at 10:01 PM, keefr22 said:

I'm surprised we've not had;

"You cut her nose off? How does she smell?"

"Terrible..."

:laugh:

Oh dear Lord. I'm trapped in Seaside Special from 1975...

On 6/22/2019 at 11:34 PM, CedB said:

More nice work Tony and vac forming to come - you spoil us Ambassador

Nothing's too god for my boys. :winkgrin:

On 6/23/2019 at 12:33 AM, Cookenbacher said:

I've finally steeled myself to take a peek;

Nice to have you aboard for what remains of the flight Cookie. :thumbsup2:

Make sure your cabin staff are in the upright position and that you've set the drinks cabinet doors to manual....

On 6/23/2019 at 9:11 AM, Stalker6Recon said:

We have 20 percent, my 10 percent and now your estimate of 1, the betting board is getting crowded.

I seem to have woken up in a sports bar somewhere off the Vegas strip Anthony.... :rofl:

On 6/23/2019 at 9:11 AM, Stalker6Recon said:

What a fun ride this continues to be!

They all say that just before they reach the apex of the rollercoaster. Then the screaming starts....

On 6/23/2019 at 10:11 AM, Martian Hale said:

I haven't been anywhere near Tony's build!

I'm slender, with aquiline features, brilliant white teeth, and prone to misrepresentation.

On 6/24/2019 at 9:25 PM, bbudde said:

I knew, you would do that in your insanity of getting it right for yourself

Please tell me that there's is a German compound word for this state of being Benedikt! :nodding:

Something like gesamtkunstwerk but with added mania...

On 6/24/2019 at 9:25 PM, bbudde said:

Have (a?) nice days with your friends.

We did indeed Ben, thanks. They're very old friends from when we lived up the other end of the island though as we've all put the years on, no longer able to break out the tequila at 2am like we used to.

So, what have I learned this week?

1. Half a bag of these is enough to make you feel sick:

IMG_1068

Only read the 'Serves 4' label after the sugar started to hit.

2.  When it rains at sunset the windows along our upstairs landing are Pink Floyd album covers:

2019-06-24_09-48-56

Like something out of the Hypgnosis studio circa '76...

3. Remember that 'Goodies episode' with the giant white kitten?

IMG_1063

Here's our remake of The Dambustpurrs....

It has become increasingly distracting having four kitten underfoot around the studio turning on the cute.

In a most lovely way.

I have been getting some time in here and there since the weekend but concentrating on getting the rear flare of the wing roots corrected- if you remember I'd posted a shot previously with them all caked-up with  a CA/flour matrix. With that well-hardened I printed out the plan view of the Type III wings from the maintenance manual and glued these to the undersides of the aircraft so that I could finesse the long curved rear portion where it blends back into the fuselage beneath the gun turret:

IMG_1066

Working on and off for two days I finally managed to get them into shape:

IMG_1069

The CA/flour mix was great for this - like a very hard but non-brittle resin. The job took a long time because of not only getting the convex compound curves sorted, but trying to thin the trailing edge sufficiently for the scale without knocking any lumps out of the wafffer-thin trailing edge due to clumsy handling:

IMG_1070

Inevitably of course I did manage to do exactly that but the beauty of this medium was being able to put in a patch and recommence shaping again immediately. You can see how thin it is if I hold it up to the light to let you see how much the kit needed modifying in this region:

IMG_1071

I've done a little final shaping  to finalize the curves since that photo was taken, so a squirt of primer to check for smoothness will be the next task.

A single job but a time-consuming one that needed attending to. Popped the flaps in for a test fit as wel lat this stage and they looked nice but forgot to take snap but will do so next time.

Doubt this will be readied for paint before we're away on hols but will plug away at every given opportunity.

Thanks for watching as ever.

:bye:

Tony.

PS. One of these arrived in the post yesterday:

IMG_1065

Maintenance manual for the Rolls-Royce Avon.

No-one seems to make a 1/72 one that I'm aware of so will have to remedy that on the next build. #vixens2themax!

• Like 21

6 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

can see how thin it is if I hold it up to the light to let you see how much the kit needed modifying in this region:

IMG_1071

Marvellous work Tony - & a great photo too, for some reason making me think of a demonic manta ray.....!! :) 

7 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Remember that 'Goodies episode' with the giant white kitten?

IMG_1063

Remember it well - & those two are gorgeous! 

8 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Oh dear Lord. I'm trapped in Seaside Special from 1975...

:rofl2:

K

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Please tell me that there's is a German compound word for this state of being Benedikt! :nodding:

Something like gesamtkunstwerk but with added mania...

Hello Tony:  Perfektionismus would be the right word for that.  If I find something with mania added,  I will tell you. Oh, you can use Gesamtkunstwerk for it.  Nobody would (dare to) deny it here. Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

No-one seems to make a 1/72 one that I'm aware of so will have to remedy that on the next build. #vixens2themax!

Now your talking!

At the risk of repeating comments on flares, they do look good.

Terry

• Like 1

This Ansonisation of the Airfix is more and more interesting !

You will surely deserve an award from the International Brass modeller society !!

And maybe winning an award from the best baker !!

I wil try this CA/Flour too !

Great job My Dear Baron !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

When it rains at sunset the windows along our upstairs landing are Pink Floyd album covers:

2019-06-24_09-48-56

Like something out of the Hypgnosis studio circa '76...

More Peter Gabriel than Pink Floyd, I think.  Separated at birth.

[Did someone say Sea Vixen?  This Baronial Vixen is a lip-smacking prospect]

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, TheBaron said:

IMG_1071

Why is that ghostly apparition winking at me?

Braw fillets indeed. 

Then you upset me by posting a shot of chocolate coated puff candy!!  A delicacy inexplicably missing from this side of the ocean

Edited by hendie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 6/27/2019 at 5:14 AM, TheBaron said:

light to let you see how much the kit needed modifying in this region:

IMG_1071

Funny, that looks just like pictures of bat's flying against a street light. That said, when I look at the mess (said with respect and knowing it's temporary) that the underside of the kit looks in the above pictures, I know that no matter how bad a muck things up, there is hope of restoring any damage done. I would have chucked this into the pail, if it looked like this. Your skills to restore a surface that will accept paint and be smooth as silk, it a testimony of experience. We may never reach this level of skill ourselves, but it is both inspiring and encouraging that no matter how bad we think we messed up, we can fix it. Just takes time, patience and calm determination. So thanks for that alone.

Finally, as you know I rescue cats/kittens, it's great to see a fellow modeler with such apparent love for our furry friends. They look to be well loved and in good hands, I thank you and applaud you for that.

Cheers,

Anthony

PS. Pumpkin also approves of the little ones!

RIP Pumpkin, you will be forever remembered and loved!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

More Peter Gabriel than Pink Floyd

Certainly one of the original "alternative rock" minds, his early work is still a delight for the ears.

Music has decidedly taken a downturn in recent years, just glad that I have an eclectic collection of the good stuff in my possession, otherwise I would be forced to live in a silent world. Listening to the likes of Justin Bieber is both a full body dry heave while being beaten by a nice piece of timber about the head and neck.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Haha 5

True re Bieber, but there is still good stuff around if you are of a Prog-y persuasion.  Steven Wilson is, IMHO, a full-on genius both in his earlier Porcupine Tree years and his more recent solo stuff.

And now back to Annie the Ghost and our other cat-related discussions.  [I love cats, but with a terrier puppy in the family it will be strictly canine for the foreseeable.  

[And no, Strictly Canine is not some sort of failed pitch for a dogs-and-dancing mash-up TV series]

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

[And no, Strictly Canine is not some sort of failed pitch for a dogs-and-dancing mash-up TV series]

Suddenly finding this aside, cast thusly, I am unusually bereft

I WOULD watch that...

Psst you kids and your Bieber schtick, what ever is wrong with a little Fats Waller huh?                                    

• Like 4

On 6/26/2019 at 10:24 PM, keefr22 said:

for some reason making me think of a demonic manta ray

:laugh:

I've been called worse on the beach Keith. Especially when people see the state of me in a wetsuit these days....

On 6/26/2019 at 11:10 PM, bbudde said:

If I find something with mania added,  I will tell you.

Please do Benedikt.

It will no doubt get regular use! 😄

I came across Zugzwang as a new word (to me) yesterday. Predictably in an article from the German press regarding current events in the UK.

I gather you're having it rather hot over there at present....?

298402ec47cf96a19786b6c7f1877f984a448ceb

On 6/27/2019 at 7:45 AM, giemme said:

Agreed 100%

110% like that post Giorgio. :thanks:😀

On 6/27/2019 at 8:19 AM, CedB said:

Me too! Flared like the 60s

A hitherto unknown member of the Beatles reveals himself. 😸

It was him wot penned 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' after having added one to his tool collection....

On 6/27/2019 at 8:32 AM, perdu said:

Nice flares, mmm

Kind of you Bill. Thanks mate. :nodding:

The only issue that the CA/flour mix throws up is an occasional small hollow here and there where you couldn't get the mixture pressed down quickly enough before it set. There were a blemish or two of this nature on the flares that PPP and a wetted finger were able to finesse after a critical close inspection later:

IMG_1094

(Just noticed there's some excess PPP along the rear of that starboard nacelle I missed that needs bringing in flush too...)

On 6/27/2019 at 10:34 AM, Spookytooth said:

"Ecky Thump" was my favourite episode.

By 'eck, one of mine too Simon. That and 'Bunfight at the O.K. Tea Rooms' as the double-bill of choice. You just cannae beat a bit o' provincial stereotyping for giggles - I hear these lads are returning for a new series!

On 6/27/2019 at 11:59 AM, limeypilot said:

Don't mention the Rolf Harris farm!

That had me genuinely confused Ian. It sounds like a terribly upsetting version of River Cottage.... :laugh:

On 6/27/2019 at 12:05 PM, Terry1954 said:

At the risk of repeating comments on flares

How often in life do you get a chance to say something like that Terry eh? 😄

On 6/27/2019 at 12:42 PM, corsaircorp said:

And maybe winning an award from the best baker !!

I'll have to use yeast next time and go in for the brewing awards CC! 🤣

On 6/27/2019 at 1:13 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

More Peter Gabriel than Pink Floyd, I think.

Of course!

How could I have missed the cover for that album -  I've the original vinyl of it up on the shelf in the living room. 'Here Comes the Flood'  indeed...

21 hours ago, bbudde said:

Oh Tony Ihave word with mania  for you.

People say the strangest things on here! :rofl:

21 hours ago, hendie said:

Why is that ghostly apparition winking at me?

1mxnum.jpg

21 hours ago, hendie said:

Then you upset me by posting a shot of chocolate coated puff candy!!  A delicacy inexplicably missing from this side of the ocean

😁

There's a version produced up in Antrim here called 'Yellow Man' which is sold in big bags at fairs: tastes like eating sweetened pumice and removes the skin from inside your mouth. I think it's actually dug out of the basaltic landscape by miners.

3 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

Pumpkin also approves of the little ones!

Aawww, that's a cracking beast Anthony and in full Star Wars AT-AT pose too! 😺

The Anson was in mild peril earlier when I turned round and saw this:

IMG_1077

Lumi drinking out of the water, just before knocking it all over the cutting mat! The kittens are now 9 weeks old and in full 'climb every mountain' mode. With the two strays we feed there's now eight mouths to feed every morning and night and wouldn't change it for the world - but then you know that feeling yourself!

Certainly one of the original "alternative rock" minds, his early work is still a delight for the ears.

Glad there's love for him on here. Since 1982 I think I've seen him live about six times, most recently taking Mrs. B to see him on the last night of him re-touring the 'So' album in Dublin a couple of years back.

Probably the best gig time was at the first WOMAD festival when he premiered the 'Security' album in a large cowshed with about 16 African drummers on stage - here's one of the photos I took of the night:

IMG_1095

Music has decidedly taken a downturn in recent years,

There's a superb programme on BBC Radio 3 Anthony called 'Late Junction':

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tp52/episodes/player

Have been listening to it on and off since the 90s and it still pulls out all manner of extraordinary musicians from around the world.

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

there is still good stuff around if you are of a Prog-y persuasion

The flame has never died in this household Crisp! :laugh: I'll have to look up Steve Wilson - thanks for the link. :nodding:

PS. Saw this and thought of you:

large_000000.jpg

Ark Royal & seaplane sketched at Gallipoli in 1915 by Herbert Hillier.

IWM have a whole load of his sketches showing various naval aspects of the landings that are absolutely electrifying as firsthand accounts. I've never seen these referred to anywhere.

The search page:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?filters[makerString][Hillier%2C Herbert]=on

Hillier himself was a reservist serving on the kite balloon vessel HMS Manica, having previously worked as an artist/architect.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Suddenly finding this aside, cast thusly, I am unusually bereft

I WOULD watch that... 

So would I! 🤣 #houndsintutus

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Psst you kids and your Bieber schtick,

The little bustard has no respect for deceased aircraft either Bill:

justin_bieber_purpose_clear_vinyl_back_c

Now then.

It's unlikely there'll be anything of significance to post here in the next few days - we're off on hols in the latter half of next week and with taking care of everything that needs doing beforehand I'm likely to be too distracted between now and then to pay attention to the level required.

Be assured this will be a temporary hiatus in matters Ansonian.

On 6/27/2019 at 1:13 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

[Did someone say Sea Vixen?  This Baronial Vixen is a lip-smacking prospect]

I will  get another WIP intro posted up to set the scene for the Vixen build later tonight (and stop me bottling out to boot!). 😁

Need to get round some of your own builds for a gander too as doubtless missing some fab updates.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently it was called Wacky Safari. I need to check out some of these old Goodies shows. 

If you like Peter Gabriel, check out Wasis Diop. (Pronounced jop, with the j as in the French Je) You may find some familiar tunes!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

The little bustard has no respect for deceased aircraft either Bill:

With proper respect to yourself Tony I doubt the little splatt on the landscape was able to do all that to Douglas's finest, he will certainly have needed a spanner wielder to get so much done to it in his microscopic lifetime

Glad you pointed it out too Tony, any excuse to disparage such is always welcome here at Perdu Towers

• Like 3
  • Haha 2