Listening to the Solstice

Brilliant work on the nacelles, Tony! :worthy: :clap:

You are at that point of your builds where the model looks totally messy, but we already know it will then look great under a primer coat. Fascinating!

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

To lower the height of that surface detailing I used a heated scalpel to flattten out the lines

Had I tried that I'd have ended up with flat nacelles too....!!

More brilliant lateral thinking modelling Tony - & despite Martian calling foul, getting Bart to do your lines was genious! :)

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Just remember not to use your fingers for the soldering...

I wouldn't bet against it, he thought dangling models that have taken hundreds of hours out of the window was a cunning plan! Has he done his lines yet?

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

28 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I wouldn't bet against it, he thought dangling models that have taken hundreds of hours out of the window was a cunning plan! Has he done his lines yet?

Martian 👽

I would have said the same, but I had the cunning idea of leaving a completed model of the ‘cutty sark’ on a window sill next to an open window... on the upside the sails worked... down side was the two story drop to its doom.... but I was only 14 at the time.

Rob

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

On 6/16/2019 at 11:32 AM, TheBaron said:

IMG_1037

Wow!  That says lots about the constitution of the Baronial psyche.     At this point in a build,  I would have walked away muttering dammit dammit dammit! and started scouring t'interweb for another kit.

Then, in only 3 photo's you bring it back to sublime almost thereness.  Astonishing stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

On 6/16/2019 at 4:45 PM, bbudde said:

Tony, are you trying to make a master for a new kit mould by someone?

Worse than that Benedikt - I fear this build will never end and I'm trapped in a fractal, never ending....

giphy.gif

On 6/16/2019 at 4:59 PM, Martian Hale said:

However, getting Bart Simpson (or any other cartoon or fairytale character) to do your lines for you is not an option.

Oooh you're a stern one! 😄

On 6/16/2019 at 5:19 PM, limeypilot said:

There's no question that this build covers everything in a modellers repertoire, from highly skilled brasswork and soldering, to using your fingers to smooth out filler! 

I love it!

Thanks Ian - poss. some more vacforming in the immediate too (see below)....

On 6/16/2019 at 7:39 PM, AdrianMF said:

Just remember not to use your fingers for the soldering...

:rofl:

On 6/16/2019 at 7:41 PM, giemme said:

Brilliant work on the nacelles, Tony! :worthy: :clap:

You are at that point of your builds where the model looks totally messy, but we already know it will then look great under a primer coat. Fascinating!

Most kind of you dear friend. :thumbsup2:

These tasks are always a gamble aren't they, but I find approaching them as a process combining several steps rather than the application of a single technique very often gives the freedom to explore the look you're after. It will of course go horribly wrong on me in a big way one day of course but nothing ventured &etc....

On 6/16/2019 at 8:04 PM, keefr22 said:

More brilliant lateral thinking modelling Tony - & despite Martian calling foul, getting Bart to do your lines was genious!

:thanks: pal. Always sub-contract the punishment is my motto! 😄

On 6/16/2019 at 8:08 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Phew. I was starting to get worried until I read that.

Edgy modelling - keeps a chap on his toes!

On 6/16/2019 at 8:38 PM, Martian Hale said:

Has he done his lines yet?

Thinking of crowdsourcing this oneDaddy M. If everyone on this thread just does 5 lines and posts them up does that count?

(A Blue Peter Baron badge for everyone who takes part of course)....

On 6/16/2019 at 9:10 PM, rob85 said:

I had the cunning idea of leaving a completed model of the ‘cutty sark’ on a window sill next to an open window... on the upside the sails worked... down side was the two story drop to its doom.... but I was only 14 at the time.

That sounds like a scene from a Studio Ghibli film Rob! 😄

On 6/17/2019 at 7:26 AM, CedB said:

Great work Tony

Kind of you Ced. Finding spare time a hard commodity to come by at present regrettably!

On 6/17/2019 at 10:17 AM, corsaircorp said:

Pretty good idea for your nacelles, Tony !! I mean your Anson's nacelle obviously !!

:rofl2: Thanks CC!

On 6/17/2019 at 12:19 PM, Spookytooth said:

Up to your high standards as usual there Tony.

And thank you for the info on the "Crinkly Wings" pic.

Hope your jaw has recovered too BTW.

Thanks for your kindly sentiments Simon. :thumbsup2:

On 6/17/2019 at 5:34 PM, hendie said:

Wow!  That says lots about the constitution of the Baronial psyche. 

I'm a supporter of those 'anthology intelligence' ideas of Marvin Minksy that Gregory Benford parsed in some of his novels -  in my case on the forum it looks like the organized bit, as opposed to the remaining 95% which  you don't see and is composed equally of chaos and instinct.... :laugh:

On 6/17/2019 at 5:34 PM, hendie said:

in only 3 photo's you bring it back to sublime almost thereness. 

I pity the late Victorian modellers: having to pose motionless like that holding their model for half a day whilst the artist engraved an illustration to be subsequently printed and distributed to other forum members by train and coach. Then the inevitable slew of responses by telegram a week later, ranging from: 'Moderate self-congratulation would not be a perverse condition for the originator of work of such quality' to 'I'm afraid this oeuvre gives every indication of having been fabricated by a member of the lower orders, or at best, minor clergy.'

Time has not been in rich abundance of late so there's nothing of great import to show you at this stage I'm sorry to say: an unexpected side-project connected with work has suddenly fallen in my lap and needs completing before we're away on hols at the start of July, so progress may grind a little on here for a while.

That said - where are matters?

This is the next phase that needs sorting:

IMG_1052

The belly of the beast. As with the wings, Airfix caught the fuselager shape rather well, except in relation to the curved belly. You can see in the above photo that I spent some time marking out the various height differentials, raching a maximum of 2mm at front and rear wing spars. From rear fuselage to front cockpit I'm goint to have a go using @limeypilots scored plastic panel approach, braced by some curved ribs at intevals along the underside of the fuselage to establish the correct height and shape. As the nose is however not only too shallow but lacks the necessary lower front and side window panels, the only viable, route to get something visually acceptable seems to me to rebuild the lower nose completely.

I therefore cut it off:

IMG_1060

That way there is no chickening-out. The notion is to build a buck and vacform a replacement lower nose of the correct shape and size; knowing what I know now, it would have doubteess made more sense to have vacformed a new nose complettely at a much earlier stage in the build, but with all the interior gubbins in there now, not a goer at this stage.

You can see also above that the window masks were removed too for a visual check. Just as well I did because lots of muck from sanding and some primer overspray had also crept inside. With all the interior framing and so on, there was not much room to clean up, so I took care of the overspray with a small paintbrush and some WD40, then the whole aircraft was immersed in a basin of warm soapy water to wash out the remaining dust and shavings over the windows that I couldn't reach. Belt & braces but necessary. I've a spare set of masks cut anyway so can reapply those prior to the next priming session.

A final shape anomaly to take care of as well is the flare of the wing root at the back. To my eye they're a little too concave on the kit moulding so am trying here to crrect them with some CA/flour:

IMG_1062

Dremel and sanding work in the near future on that. I only hope it holds fast against my fumbling fingers!

Nearly forgot - you can see in the first photo above that the taiplanes have been glued on prior to final shaping there also. Research has additionally been done on the aileron hinges and actuator links: it won't surprise you to learn that once I've knocked up some new ailersons, those fittings will be brass.

Friends coming down from Belfast to stay tomorrow so it'll go quiet here for the next couple of days whilst vin is vanquished. 

Take care mes braves!

'Til next time:

:bye:

Tony

• Like 21

You did...what?  You cut it off?  Truly, you are a man amongst perfectionists!  And I have no doubt that the results will look superb.

As a rough estimate, how much Airfix is left?

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Cut it off - The only way to go when you're not certain, but know in the back of your mind it needs to be done!

No option then but to face it head on, and I'm sure the outcome will be much more accurate!

Ian

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

About 1% of bugger all I should think!

And no Tony, crowdsourcing your lines is not acceptable.

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You did...what?  You cut it off?  Truly, you are a man amongst perfectionists!  And I have no doubt that the results will look superb.

the cardboard box... at best...

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 6

On 6/16/2019 at 4:32 PM, TheBaron said:

Having stared at photos of this aircraft for nearly a year now the appearance of such regions are so fugitive depending on light and viewing angles and so forth,

Phew. At this point I got worried Tony was going to drop it again and blame it on the cat being in the way!!!

He is also taking hot scalpel blades to it and now gone and chopped off some of the nose, goodness gracious my nerves can't take it!!!

Great work as always Tony you have done a splendid job on the nacelle ribbing . 

Keep up the great work dude.

All the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I knew that mysterious, wonderful and unbelievably skillful things had to be going on in this thread and I've finally steeled myself to take a peek; a mixed media extravaganza beyond all imagination: there appears to be scratch built metal parts, nylon fishing line ribbing, every type of filler known to our hobby (and some new ones) and that's just the cowlings! And to your great credit Tony, each looks more like an Anson than what you started with. I'll check back in 68 more pages to find out the starting sequence for the tiny engines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Take care mes braves! 

Says the man who boldly cut off the nose of an aircraft that was nearing completion. What is that saying, "cut off his nose to spite his face"? Something like that. Fortune truly does favor the bold my friend, and bold is an understatement when you are the subject of such cliché.

Humbled as usual

19 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

rough estimate,

My bet is 12%, who is holding the bets until finish? I will place $100 on that percentage, any over/under bets can be done on the side with me direct!

15 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

About 1% of bugger all I should think! 

We have 20 percent, my 10 percent and now your estimate of 1, the betting board is getting crowded.

8 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

mixed media

If you read carefully and look closely at the pictures, there is also some human hair and what appears to be alien DNA added to this masterpiece of instructional insanity for everyone to enjoy! Jack Nicholson must be nervous, "one flew over the coo-cooes nest" is about to be knocked off its mantel.

What a fun ride this continues to be!

Anthony

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7