Listening to the Solstice

On 6/9/2019 at 2:32 PM, hendie said:

ooooooOOOOOooooooooohhhhhhHHHHHHHH

Hate it when my keyboard sticks like that as well old boy.

Need to stop gnawing the Stilton over it when posting, the crumbs make a deadly adhesive under the old Qwerty slab.

It's why I have my man Seppings handle the posts now; he used to be with Lord Buckfast before he went to the devil and moved up to 1/32nd scale. A very sorry tale indeed, shame to see such an old county family come to such a sticky pass.

On 6/8/2019 at 11:57 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Keep up the great work

With the encouragement on here, how could one fail to? 😃

On 6/9/2019 at 4:13 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Good tea is the drink of the Gods.  Well, the anglophone ones, anyway.

Also one of the earliest elements to form in the proto-universe, after helium.

periodic-table

On 6/9/2019 at 7:59 PM, Terry1954 said:

I've come to realise that understanding the true depth of meaning in the content of this build thread, is a bit like trying to make sense of a mathematical argument of a function, at a secret policeman's ball.

:thanks: Terry (I think). 😄

I do appreciate people putting up with my clown-car whenever it putters through the village. 

On 6/10/2019 at 5:21 AM, Stalker6Recon said:

Forgive me if I show too much ignorance, but wouldn't this only be useful if the aircraft is presented in flight?

I should have been more specific in indicating that it was really that angle that the wing meets the fuselage that was bothering me in that instance Anthony.

In matters of the dihedral (as in so many others) I always defer to the true experts with which this forum is blessed:

On 6/10/2019 at 2:43 PM, limeypilot said:

Only really true of large modern aircraft using modern materials. There is/was far less flex in a normal aircraft wing. They are basically rigid, but have to have a little built in flex or they'd snap.

On 6/10/2019 at 5:21 AM, Stalker6Recon said:

I could not replicate this build in 1/4th scale with an entire machine shop as my finger tips.

I for one am prepared to watch you prove yourself wrong! :laugh:

16 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

tell me do you have to blend two parts on the smooth one? 

You do Johnny. Usage is identical but for the scale I work at the finer, more porcelain quality of the White is more attractive.

Still intrigued by what historical evidence may be out there aside from the valuable access I've had to (the then) F/Lt. Bufton's log book, I had ordered a copy of 109 Sqn's records from the NRO, for the period September 1939 - October 1940. I hadn't been sure that details of the Knickebein operation would be contained in these squadron records due, largely, to the mainstream narrative indication that BATDU/WIDU only became 109 Sqn later in the war. This process seemed so vaguely defined in the extant literaturethat I wanted to get a clearer sense of the dynamics and timing involved in the events that culminated in the discovery of the Knickebein signal. I thought that you might be interested to learn some more about what the primary historical sources show?

Here's a précis then of the significant elements of the chronology (leading up to the discovery of the beams) contained in the Operations Record Book (RAF Form 540) for 109 Squadron:

1. 1st September 1939, 109 Sqn records specifically refer to the squadron at this stage as the Blind Approach Training & Development Unit (BAT&DU).* Originally at Hendon, unit is evacuated on this date to Upavon, before redeplyment ot Boscombe Down on 22nd  September.
  2. 15th Jan 1940, Anson N9945 received from manufacturer at Boscombe.
  3. 6th June 1940, unit closed for instruction duties, reopening 13th June 'to carry out investigations into enemy wireless signals to which the codename "HEADACHE" was allotted'.
  4. 19th June 1940, F/Lt.s Alway and Budge arrive 'for temporary attachment to this Unit for installation of "SPECIAL EQUIPMENT". First Anson N9945 ready at 14.30 hours. Flight carried out by and submitted by phone to Air Ministry by F/LT.ALWAY.' Later addition to this entry: '17.30: 3 Ansons N.9938. N9945. L.7967 now ready for operational flying. Worked carried out speedily as soon as various stores and equipment arrive.
  5. 20th June 1940, 'F/LT.BUFTON arrived from 214 SQUADRON, to be O.C. flying in this unit.
  6. 21st June 1940, 'Operational night flight carried out by F/LT.BUFTON and results obtained. (my italics) Report communicated to WING COMMANDER R.S.BLUCKE A.F.C. at H.Q.F.C.'

What interests me about the final point above is that the Squadron record book indicates this discovery flight did not take off from Wyton at all but from Boscombe Down. Only on the next entry for 22nd June is N9945 w/ Bufton and crew indicated as proceeding to Wyton ' to operate from that station'. Bufton's log book (Form 414) contradicts this, stating that N9945 (with himself, Sgt. Tinkler and another un-named crew member) took off for to go to Wyton at 18.10hrs on June 21st, then taking off from Wyton again at 22.05 on the Flight he marks as 'SPECIAL DUTY' on which the beams were first discovered.

Given the sense of incredible haste in order to undertake the 'HEADACHE' mission contained in the squadron record, the fact that this document cannot reconciled with the logbook of the pilot concerned regarding the origin of the 'discovery' flight presumably indicates that perennial weather conditon attending many such great enterprises -  'the fog of war'?

* Squadron log records that BAT&DU subsequently renamed as WIDU (Wireless Intelligence Development Unit) on 14th October 1940.

Anyway, thought that might be of interest.

As to progress on N9945, I've been tidying up the seams, getting ridof the excess epoxy from wing roots and starboard nacelle:

IMG_0982

Prior to doing that, I'd managed to drop her out of the workroom window (trying to evaluate surface quality in hypercritical sunlight..) which forced landing resulted in splitting the seam of the underside and nose, so that needed re-gluing and tidying up as well.

The reason for such love of epoxy in gluing large/important seams is the way that gravity lets it flow along curved surface during curing, giving a neat join between critical areas without recourse to filler at all:

IMG_0983

In the way of all tidying, that had eaten a lot of the spare time recently, but as we're at the cosmetic stage I've also been spending time comparing the major features of the kit to photographs, The wing root had always seemed a little 'rum' and indeed I think it needs to be sorted a bit better:

IMG_0991

I'm not imagining that problem am I - needs to be a bit deeper and straighter along the trailing edge of that rear flared section of the wing root? 

Another instance with the kit is that the nacelles seem neither long enough or to meet a sharp enough point compared to the aircraft, so here I'm masking out the required alterations:

IMG_0994

Milliput added and the broad outlines of the profile scultped with a wet scalpel:

IMG_0997

Experience has taught me not to try and do everything at this stage - get the main shape right and then come back when cured to get the detailing done.

One final imagre for you. Browsing amongst the University of Lincoln's International Bomber Command Centre Digital Archive (which I didn't even know existed) for any more Anson info revealed a beautifully inventive and scurrilous RAF 'Notebook for Workshop & Laboratory Records (Form 620)' filled with drawings by AC2 Johnson and LAC Cluett. I believe it shows @Pete in Lincs's next project:

Screenshot_20190612-083443_Adobe Acrobat

The Hyperanson...?

Also. Did you know that Roy Chadwick was a modeller?

:bye:

Tony

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I'd managed to drop her out of the workroom window (trying to evaluate surface quality in hypercritical sunlight..) 

Now Tony are you sure you weren't walking around the workshop making plane noises and flying the Annie when you tripped over one of the cats sleeping on the floor !!!

Amazing work fella

All the best

Chris

• Haha 10

17 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Also one of the earliest elements to form in the proto-universe, after helium.

periodic-table

OMG, you are right! That must mean Lithium is a mere figment of our imagination. Fascinating!

19 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Anyway, thought that might be of interest.

Genuinely fascinating. As you say the fog of war always seems to play a part, which is not surprising I guess.

20 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Experience has taught me not to try and do everything at this stage - get the main shape right and then come back when cured to get the detailing done.

An excellent approach I think. Looks like you will have that sorted in time.

A great update as ever.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Genuinely fascinating. As you say the fog of war always seems to play a part, which is not surprising I guess.

It was by no means unusual for most of us to update our log books only intermittently, even in my era - there would be a scramble for “the sheets” [Authorisation sheets - the only genuinely definite record which must have been signed at the time] towards the month end when logbooks were due for their monthly inspection.  In wartime, I suspect the pilot’s logbook, the Squadron record book, or both, might well not have been written until days or even weeks afterwards, so who knows which is right.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Tony how sure are you about the length of the fairing behind the engine?

This is yours.

IMG_0994

And this one is Shuttleworth's.

P1130980.jpg

I get the impression (completely without foundation but by looking the the pictures) that the trailing curve is sort of half way between the two.

Also finding it amazing to see how much of the wing isn't really there, just a fairing at the wing roots behind the box made by the spars.

Annie really is becoming sublime now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fascinating information on the operation Tony. 'Headache' eh? I wonder how that naming came about? Late night in the Mess?

Sorry to hear that the seam split - I guess she's heavier than a 'normal' model with all that brass inside?

I'm sure you'll have it, and the wing roots and fairings, sorted in no time…

Interesting to see the corrected periodic table too. As this year has been designated the 'International Year of the Periodic table' (Dimitri Mendeleev produced his table 150 years ago) we had a talk on this at the last U3A science group. Interesting. For anyone who's still awake there's a 'cute' interactive table on the Royal Society of Chemistry website here.

• Thanks 2

On 6/12/2019 at 12:43 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Now Tony are you sure you weren't walking around the workshop making plane noises and flying the Annie when you tripped over one of the cats sleeping on the floor !!!

Busted! :rofl2:

I think I need to work on my clatterclatter sound a bit more though....

On 6/12/2019 at 1:03 PM, Terry1954 said:

That must mean Lithium is a mere figment of our imagination.

It's the times we live in Terry....

On 6/12/2019 at 1:39 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It was by no means unusual for most of us to update our log books only intermittently, even in my era - there would be a scramble for “the sheets” [Authorisation sheets - the only genuinely definite record which must have been signed at the time] towards the month end when logbooks were due for their monthly inspection.  In wartime, I suspect the pilot’s logbook, the Squadron record book, or both, might well not have been written until days or even weeks afterwards, so who knows which is right.  

A genuinely pertinent observation Crisp about the human factors at work in the historical record. :thanks:

How many 'emphatic' statements have in fact been far more probablistic than the author has acknowledged (or even been aware of)?

On 6/12/2019 at 3:21 PM, perdu said:

This is yours.

An important question Bill but I'm pretty Ok with my dimensions tbh in their current state. (Oo-eer, I hear the sirens of the Fnaar-Squad cars approaching... :laugh:)

Special Hobby similarly have their apex extending further back toward the trailing edge than Airfix did, as you see in this comparison with the preliminary shaping underway on mine over on the right here:

P1040875-640_fs

There are a number of shots of N5331 floating around t'webs that have clearly been taken by a photgrapher with a prescient sense of what the avid modeller of the next century might need in the ways of angles and comparisons:

GgIkDO.jpg

Image credit (for this and all othes in the series I've quoted): https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/75055-faithful-annie ( @galgos is that you? :) )

Beauteous image!

I'd long pondered what those odd web-like features running horizontally amongst the trees below the aircraft might be and can only presume that they are the shadows of the tree trunks along the ground caused by the oblique sun-angle. Either that or 'tis evidence of the Red Weed of the Martian and this shot was in fact taken recently in the Poole area....

On 6/12/2019 at 3:21 PM, perdu said:

Also finding it amazing to see how much of the wing isn't really there, just a fairing at the wing roots behind the box made by the spars.

Ditto! (nice image). :thumbsup2:

What's that old rhyme? 'I saw a wing that wasn't there / It wasn't there again today.' 😄

On 6/12/2019 at 4:48 PM, CedB said:

Fascinating information on the operation Tony. 'Headache' eh?

I believe I read that the eventual countermeasures were referred to as 'Aspirin', but I'd need to look that up to be sure!

I guess she's heavier than a 'normal' model with all that brass inside?

Gonna be a tail-sitter that's for sure! :laugh:

we had a talk on this at the last U3A science group.

I had to look up what that was Ced. Most interesting and thanks for making me aware of it. :nodding:

• Like 12

Interesting milliput job on the nacelles, Tony. :clap: I do have one white milliput pack, but have yet to use it: how does it compare to regular (yellow) one in terms of sanding and rescribing? TIA

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Now look here! I seem to be guilty by association? I live 12 miles North of Lincoln.

The fact that I pass the International Bomber Command Museum on the way to and from work is purely coincidental.

(BTW, we all have teeth. Is that coincidental?)

Oh, and my next project will be space based, with thrusters not propellerers.

On a sensible note. Is it possible that a metal winged Anson would have different nacelles to a rag wing Anson?

2 hours ago, CedB said:

As this year has been designated the 'International Year of the Periodic table'

I thought we were still in the year of the fruitbat?

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

are you sure you weren't walking around the workshop making plane noises

That was my first thought too. "hypercritical sunlight"??? With all this rain? A likely tale indeed.

Offended and in search of therapy of Lincs

• Haha 5

Sad for Annie's hard landing my Dear Baron

But you seem to have fixed that easily, and all the brass inside stayed at its due place !!

That's a real piece of luck !

Splendificous Anson! 

Congratulations !!:partytime:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Oh how good would it have been to see that forklift disappear into the wild blue yonder....?! :) 

17 hours ago, perdu said:

Tony how sure are you about the length of the fairing behind the engine?

Shuttleworth are of course wrong Bill..!!

Keith

Edit - apparently one can't 'quote' a video, sorry for the big blue empty box!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TheBaron said:

prove yourself wrong! :laugh:

I hope that to be the case in the near future. Sadly, my current build (which was not supposed to be done until much later) has hit a brick wall. While going over the paints required (and since this is a very old kit, it does not provide the codes we are accustomed to), then cross checking a modern kit color codes, I realized that my meager 20 pots of paints don't cover those needed for the cockpit, so I am in a holding pattern til I can find and order the proper paints for the job. I am however pleased with my little progress, and while the kit is over thirty years old, the wings have fit nearly perfectly, very minimal filling required!

forced landing

Wow, that is scary, glad the damage was minimal.

bit deeper and straighter    

@perdu

I tend to agree with perdu on this one, but I know that no matter what you do, it will come out looking lovely and proper, even though someone that doesn't know your work, would probably have doubts. I have learned long ago (by my forum age anyway) that doubting you is a mistake, which I don't care to make anymore!

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I feel bad, no matter how hard he works, or throttles up that beautiful radial engine, that fork lift/tow motor is never going to make it off the ground, the aero package is just all wrong. Unless of course he holds his hands out horizontally with a waving motion, that should do the trick!

Or he could change the direction of the engine entirely and have one of the greatest lawn mowers of all time. I would definitely pay to see that!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

One hundred lines please Tony. "I must remember that here is no future in dangling models out of windows. I am a very silly Earthling!". And no using copy and paste either!

Martian 👽

• Haha 8

23 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

One hundred lines please Tony. "I must remember that here is no future in dangling models out of windows. I am a very silly Earthling!". And no using copy and paste either!

Martian 👽

I think the actual expression is "what a plonker". And that is not a referance to the earlier comment about the size looking ok!

Ian

• Haha 7

I was trying to be diplomatic for once but, yes, I'm sure Tony will agree that plonker fits the build perfectly in this case.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

So you dropped her out of the high tower heir Baron? 😳 She must have glided down with the grace and beauty you have endowed upon her, hence the minimal damage. No UC yet otherwise she would have been 100% intact.  That’s my vision anyhow and I’m sticking with it. 🤣

Excellent progress and thanks for the info on the Milliput. I have managed to bring my ppp back from the brink as although soft is my filler of choice at the moment.

carry on dear boy, carry on. 🤗

Johnny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok so.  Before I plunge in at page 1 and work my way thro' 67 pages of Baron banter & brilliance.  I'll just say in advance (i) I'm gonna be impressed and (ii) I'm gonna learn summat (there will probably be several 'likes' coming along Tony - so I'll try and ration them to only illustrative ones every few pages or so......)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/12/2019 at 6:59 PM, Spookytooth said:

Is it my eyes Tony, or does she have a crinkly skin on the wings.

Don't we all these days Simon?

The wings of the Mk.1 were a plywood surface glued and bradded onto the ribs and stringers, over which was a layer of fabric was doped-on. I've only really noticed it in this sequence  of  photos of N5331, so assume it only occurs in-flight due to air pressure and is  visible only in strongly oblique light of the kind in which these shots were taken.

On 6/12/2019 at 7:09 PM, giemme said:

I do have one white milliput pack, but have yet to use it: how does it compare to regular (yellow) one in terms of sanding and rescribing?

I'm sure there are others with far more experienjce with it than myself Giorgio but in relation to the standard mixture,  the  'superfine' responds about the same to sanding/polishing (i.e., very good!) but has the edge when it comes to scribing due to the finer grain retaining sharper detail, imho.

On 6/12/2019 at 7:23 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

On a sensible note. Is it possible that a metal winged Anson would have different nacelles to a rag wing Anson?

The C-19 that Bill posted would in my understanding have had both a different wing and different nacelle Pete, but not in ways that would have affected the visuals in this region. Compared to the Mk.1, the C-19 wing angles in to a narrower tip, but the chord at the nacelle looks to be the same. The nacelle is different only in having a smooth metal (rather than ribbed) structure. I think I read somewhere that was to do with the extra heat generated by the more powerful engines used.

Oh, and my next project will be space based, with thrusters not propellerers.

I shall be watching from Mission Control with sideburns and pocket-protector!

I thought we were still in the year of the fruitbat?

It's always the year of the fruitbat on here....

On 6/12/2019 at 8:27 PM, corsaircorp said:

But you seem to have fixed that easily, and all the brass inside stayed at its due place !!

I feared dreaded rattling sound upon picking it up off the ground CC but thankfully all the solder held.

On 6/13/2019 at 9:23 AM, keefr22 said:

I wish to give that a 'like' of its own, beauteous indeed!!

I've added a credit for it above Keith as I've used this and a number of other shots of this aircraft that I downloaded so far back that I'd forgotten to write down the source. When you're blessed with images that good I hate not giving credit to the original poster. Discovered an additional shot in the series I hadn't seen before that will be very useful working on the belly, being sold by a Dutch bookseller:

avro.anson.i.n5331.jpg

Image credit: https://www.krulantiquarianbooks.nl/cats.php?aut=&titel=&tref=&bnr=&catnr=786&page=9&cursor=>&length=11670&id=6907616&submit=Search

On 6/13/2019 at 10:51 AM, Stalker6Recon said:

I am however pleased with my little progress, and while the kit is over thirty years old, the wings have fit nearly perfectly, very minimal filling required!

Excellent to see you giving new life to an old kit Anthony.

On 6/13/2019 at 5:02 PM, Martian Hale said:

te

(No copy & paste used...)

On 6/14/2019 at 4:25 PM, limeypilot said:

I think the actual expression is "what a plonker".

Sorry Del.

AXDZp.jpg

You won't tell Grandad will you? 

On 6/14/2019 at 4:45 PM, Martian Hale said:

I was trying to be diplomatic for once but, yes, I'm sure Tony will agree that plonker fits the build perfectly in this case.

It's a fair cop guv'nor. Put the bracelets on and tell mother I won't be home for tea....

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

So you dropped her out of the high tower heir Baron?

It's at times like this I feel so incredibly fortunate not to be wealthy and live in a highrise penthouse Johnny.

Mind you, if I did, I'd have a manservant to drop it out of the window for me of course....

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

Ok so.  Before I plunge in at page 1 and work my way thro' 67 pages of Baron banter & brilliance.  I'll just say in advance (i) I'm gonna be impressed and (ii) I'm gonna learn summat (there will probably be several 'likes' coming along Tony - so I'll try and ration them to only illustrative ones every few pages or so......)

Brilliant to see you back Steve, which is the biggest 'Like' of all!  

Progess was hindered somewhat by having to go in for an emergency tooth extraction on Friday. 

Luckily my dentist is a woman of tact and compassion who instictively reaches for her biggest syringe of anasethetic whenever I enter. We have a professional understanding: she doesn't comment that I'm a coward and I do not shriek aloud to alarm the other patients. Not helped by walking into the chemist afterwards to buy Neurofen with my face all frozen and the old biddy behind the counter assuming that I was a drug adddict and going into her Spanish Inquisition routine. Great support from family in relating the anecdote at home and finishing with: 'Do I look like a fecking drug addict?' whereupon both loyal sons simultaneously replied in the affirmative. Needless to say my solicitor is redrafting the terms of my will as we speak.

On to the real addiction in life then...

As time allows I've been working to get the nacelles completed. I've mentioned before how impressed I was that (aside from inexplicably getting the belly wrong) the main outlines of this old Airfix kit are impressively accurate in matching the detailed plan views from the maintenance manual (from which I've worked primarily as a source):

imageproxy (1)

Note though that the Airfxi nacelle is too rounded and comes up too short at the rear, hence the amendments I've been making. That 'beak' shape is just too apparent on the actual aircraft to leave as-is, so here's the amended version now with those lengths corrected:

IMG_1001

You can see below that there's no discrepancy with Bill's image originally querying these amendments  - transposing a graphic outline from the Shuttleworth bird (hope you didn't mind me purloining that shot Bill?) to a photo of the rectified model from taken from roughly the same POV shows that it's just a question of viewing angles.

desk

Apart from adding a sharper beak, the dimensions of the lower nacelles on the kit were fine. 

Shape/size of course is one thing, reinstating surface appearances is another. At @AdrianMF & @Spookytooths earlier promptings, I'd searched through all the old kit and gear boxes in tghe spare room and found a box of fishing reels that hadn't been thrown out, so went with some fine spinning line as the starting point for the angular/segmented look to the nacelles:

IMG_1028

(Be warned: I made this crap up as I went along with just a vague instinct of what might work)

Rocket Hot to glue that stringer detailing into place. The tops laid out:

IMG_1031

The surface relief is far too exagarrated in this form of course but I just wanted a prominent starting point that could be finessed back down to scale appearances. I found it wierdly attractive in this state however in a kind of Victorian/Jules Verne sort of fluted way:

IMG_1035

To lower the height of that surface detailing I used a heated scalpel to flattten out the lines along the compound curves. Sort of 'ironing' it you might say:

IMG_1036

The soot from the candle was an added bonus in picking out out the details at this stage as transparent thread against a light grey surface isn't the easiest to judge!

Then the intervals between them were levelled-out with PPP rubbed in with a finger:

IMG_1037

Afer letting this dry, I  then just used wet fingers to rub and smooth these areas top and bottom into the required smoothness and profile:

IMG_1038

Fingertips are such an amazingly underrrated tool: using fingers to smooth and rub  PPP on such surfaces as you can 'feel' as well as see if it is getting to an acceptable standard.

IMG_1039

After a final Micromeshing, things were at a stage where I was happy with the visuals from all angles:

IMG_1041

The effect I'm striving for is to *express* the look of these regions rather than *diagram* every feature. Having stared at photos of this aircraft for nearly a year now the appearance of such regions are so fugitive depending on light and viewing angles and so forth, that at this scale I don't want items like the stringers to look exaggated for the sake of showing detail:

IMG_1047

Happy that this strikes such a balance. one  that will work in that fashion once the paint is applied.

Bit of mess to clean up around the cowlings still:

IMG_1048

One both sides I think I'm going to use some metal foil overlaid onto the cowlings just to give a visual that will match the ever-so-slightly 'proud' interface of the colwing where it meets the nacelle.

No leg hairs were lost to Rocket Hot in this episode.

Thanks for reading these ramblings as ever - hope you've all had a good weekend. :nodding:

Thunderstorm raging outside here in the last few mins so going to hit 'send' before we lose power!

'Til next time.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 20

Impressive stuff Tony. However, getting Bart Simpson (or any other cartoon or fairytale character) to do your lines for you is not an option.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

There's no question that this build covers everything in a modellers repertoire, from highly skilled brasswork and soldering, to using your fingers to smooth out filler! 

I love it!

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1