Listening to the Solstice

20 hours ago, giemme said:

Looking forward o further developments ...

Thanks Giorgio - a little bit to start with below. 😁

20 hours ago, limeypilot said:

you shall be forced to build the Fairey Battle next!

I do have one Ian but am going nowhere near it  'til you've done finished your master-build for me to copy.

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Personally I never use plans,

I'm simply going to rely here on what's become my preferred research method Keith: a maintenance or parts manual cross-referenced with as many contemporary photographs as are available.

I found this film from 1942 of an Annie doing low-level passes on the IWM site last night that has a whole lot of useful angles that I can refer to as well:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060021034

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great back story Tony, and a lovely old kit to boot. I’ll enjoy from over here by the bar.:popcorn::beer:

Nice one Johnny - you're welcome along as always! :thumbsup2:

13 hours ago, hendie said:

oh, I dunno... the way I see it is that it is simply a reasonably plausible excuse (probably pre-planned!) for not actually starting any real work.

there's only so many plausible excuses

tin-foil-time-bomb_o_2193543.jpg

it's only a matter of time...

11 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Do you reckon we’ll get to five pages?

Haven't you two got any heavy machinery you could be playing with? :tease: :winkgrin:

12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

will dip in now and then to see how things are going.

Thanks Terry - safe travels.

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Liking this Tony, I've one tucked away too.

Thanks Steve: nice to have you along. :thumbsup2:

6 hours ago, Edge said:

What a fascinating piece of history from a time of genuine termoil and change. Love the attention to detail and effort put in so far in researching both the story & the aircraft/model. 

Will be be following along in awe.

Cheers Edge - you're most welcome!

4 hours ago, John said:

I was able to get some photos of Montrose Heritage Trust's stripped down TX266 a couple of months ago. 

Sweet shots John and mosrt helpful. Thanks.

PS. I dance like Richard Burton....

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

On the subject of ailerons, I seem to remember that earlier Ansons had longer ones and they were shortened at some point. So the Warpaint drawings may simply be showing the other configuration.

That's entirely possible Adrian, though as Airfix kitted this out as an 'N' reg originally, I would have expected them to match the Type III wing with the shorter ones....

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I will pull these off thread if you like Tony, just thought they might help inspire

Not at all Bill - everything's grist to the reference-mill here! :laugh:

The Flightpath instructions are handily loaded also with a whole series of reference photos that really help with relating the flat PE to the three-dimensional structures thjey need to be turned in to.

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

And for another Tony nudge, I'm quite taken with this late machine too!

Fabulosa shot Keith - thanks!

Right then.

Before this Band of Brothers Brigands turn into a Trump rally on me, let's get down to business.

These are a few of the current references Ive got printed-out to help me scale both wings and interior framing correctly during metal part of the building process:

29610712287_1468906d7b_c.jpg

And here we are starting on the starboard flap:

30678566208_cc97fa9f18_c.jpg

Both ends and leading edge folded up, followed by gluing-in of longitudinal spar.

I've larded on the photos for this not so much to show what I'm doing but to pay tribute to somebody else's work, namely David Parkins who produced this incredible stuff:

44548805501_a00fff9916_c.jpg

This is very unforgiving material to work with in the nicest possible way as it is so finely-wrought that it simply will not brook clumsy handling.

The precision engineering in the way a half-slot in the flap 'ribs' (I'm calling them that out of ingorance so please correct me) helps to locate them via a half-slot in the central longitudinal bit, means that despite the fragility of such tiny pieces, that they interlock in a most robust fashion. I'm using Gator's Grip Thin Blend on all this etch as it gives a decent enough setting interval to allow for the wiggling and fettling of such tiny parts into place at this scale. Also, being able to wipe any excess away even after it has dried means it is far cleaner to work with than CA: at least in my highly-partisan opinion!

The first three cross-pieces in:

43639371305_4db735b683_c.jpg

Followed by their companions:

44548805641_7bbedd6dde_c.jpg

Overall, including filing off any tabs, this single flap took about 2.5 hours to complete:

42739904240_6c22b8de78_c.jpg

The level of concentration required means that each of the flaps and flap trays is likely to take up a single session:

30678566328_3014b1e462_c.jpg

When the quality of the source parts is this good though - who cares about the time?

44548805631_7075ea6cf6_c.jpg

There's another long spidery piece that needs to be fixed to the top of this but as it seems to need some complicated folding that will keep until next time.

The last task today was to set up 'Port'  & 'Starboard' pots to keep all th finished parts safe:

44548908871_c81e2a75a9_c.jpg

Expect the bench to look like this for a while....

Anyway.

We're off!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 23

mqw5p.jpg

(sorry - couldn't resist that one)

Very nice start Tony. Very Nice.

42 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I'm using Gator's Grip Thin Blend on all this etch as it gives a decent enough setting interval to allow for the wiggling and fettling of such tiny parts into place at this scale.

I'm gonna have to get me some of that gummy stuff.  I purchased some PE from the very same source just this week for an upcoming build

45 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Overall, including filing off any tabs, this single flap took about 2.5 hours to complete: 

<snip>

The level of concentration required means that each of the flaps and flap trays is likely to take up a single session: 

worth every tick and tock sir.  It does hurt the eyes somewhat after a while

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Great start!

I did get the work area sorted today so should be able to get back in business on the Battle very soon. Unfortunately the first items will be repairs to already completed kits.....

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Thanks 1

As all the others said, great start! :clap:

Here's a little Italian motto for such a brilliant blastoff:

"Principio sì giolivo ben conduce" 😉

PS: don't try Google translator on that, it's ancient Italian ... :whistle:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, perdu said:

First take Ben some olive oil?

Easy

😉

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I'm currently putting stickers on my A-10, you almost made me spilling hot water, decal setting solution etc all over ... :rofl2: :rofl2:

Ciao

• Haha 7

On 9/8/2018 at 1:00 PM, keefr22 said:

Hurrah!!

😄

On 9/8/2018 at 1:08 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Wahoo.  Great start Tony  that's some fiddly work.  

Kidding you are not Chris.

On 9/8/2018 at 1:08 PM, perdu said:

Ditto

Is this what the opening of Parliament is like? :winkgrin:

On 9/8/2018 at 1:44 PM, hendie said:

Very nice start Tony. Very Nice.

Thanks old top.

Great photo btw. I saw a dog not dissimilar top that in Dublin back in August, sat on the pavement outside of Trinity beside its owner, silently judging the entire city...

On 9/8/2018 at 1:44 PM, hendie said:

I'm gonna have to get me some of that gummy stuff.

You really are!! 

I don't reckon I could carry out work of this kind to a standard I'd accept without it. I had bought a bottle of the standard, thicker blend as well as the thin blend, but most of the time I just use the Thin Blend for everything I'd have used CA for in the past.

On 9/8/2018 at 1:57 PM, Kallisti said:

Blimey that is a tiny detailed part! 

And that ain't the smallest!

On 9/8/2018 at 2:09 PM, Martian Hale said:

Let the heckling begin!

Whad'ya mean 'begin'?

I've just had three pages of the stuff! :rofl:

23 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I did get the work area sorted today so should be able to get back in business on the Battle very soon.

Super-duper!!

23 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Unfortunately the first items will be repairs to already completed kits.....

Oh dear. I sincerely hope there's not to much wreckage to deal with Ian.

23 hours ago, giemme said:

As all the others said, great start! :clap:

Here's a little Italian motto for such a brilliant blastoff:

"Principio sì giolivo ben conduce" 😉

Atto regale e intender la ragione. 😇

23 hours ago, perdu said:

First take Ben some olive oil?

:rofl2:

No wonder Brexit is going so well.

18 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Flaptastic!  :coolio:

Seriously.....I've just bought a similarly complex etch set for a 1/35 tank (my first ever attempt in the bigger scale), it's mostly just scaring me silly at the moment, actual assembly may take a while!  :unsure:

Cheers Sarge. :thumbsup2:

Don't worry. The first ten minutes or so are the hardest.

After that it settles down and just becomes incredibly difficult....

You've seen it done once now so I won't bother you with the details, but here's the second flap:

30701058608_c87322a4ec_c.jpg

I mentioned last night that there was a complicated shape to go over the top of those and here they are:

44521982742_0b5b9540c7_c.jpg

A pair of 1/74 fishbones. As you can see they are so incredibly delicate - almost like handling foil rather than PE in places - that there is no easy way of getting them off the runner without bending, and as you can see to the right, breaking them. Possibly there is a micro-powertool for such jobs that @CedB has tucked away, but with even a new scalpel blade, it was a taxing task. Fixing these to their respective flaps needs to be done in stages, firstly gluing the main 'spine' along the top of the longitudinal spar and leaving it to set:

44571259851_2acaaf5bd1_c.jpg

Then later come back and glue it down along the ribs on either side and tape well down to let the glue set. Eventually something quite lovely appears:

30701058808_22c6abb87c_c.jpg

Thankfully there are a couple of well-illustrated pages in the maintenance manual to help with  understanding the complexities of that structure.

Whilst those had been gluing I figured it was time to remove the kits flaps themselves:

30701058708_8c02eee764_c.jpg

Later on, getting a sense of how the replacements will look from below:

44521983042_7cf2a0498c_c.jpg

A lot sharper for one thing. 

Seen from above:

42762264660_2a82d6c122_c.jpg

That's it for today.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Very, very impressive.  :coolio:

I do sometimes wonder what etch-makers envisage us using to:

A - See

B - Remove From Fret

C - Hold

D - Clean Up

E - Bend

Some of the tiny parts they provide us.....Like the 1/35 wingnuts I'm currently confronted with!  :shutup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a very tempting Bishop to actress line in that last post but I'll leave it alone......

The flaps are looking seriously nice, and I concur about the frailty of some of it. It seems the only limit to the amount of detail we can add is what we can pick up without breaking/feeding to the carpet monster!

As to my repairs, most made it ok, or with nothing more than a couple of rigging lines popped. 4 or 5 need tail pieces/undercarriage replacing, the Pfalz E.IV needs the wings reattaching, so I'll take the opportunity to upgrade it, and the MS Type N has a wing loose but not detached.

The Short 184 may be salvageable, but somehow the floats got twisted out of line. Not sure how as it was inside a plastic box, inside a display case! The display case is cracked, but no damage to the plastic box. Methinks someone took it out and dropped it, as the hinge from other display case was inside this one! The SPAD XIII is history, top wing ripped off. I'm looking for an Eduard profipack to replace it.

Ian

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

A pair of 1/74 fishbones.

1/74? Blimey as if 1/72nd wasn't small enough....!!

9 minutes ago, hendie said:

We shall expect nothing less for the remainder of the build

I second what the learned member said....

K

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, hendie said:

already did!

I see the standard is already set for this build then.  We shall expect nothing less for the remainder of the build

A fine start but we shall expect even more as you get up to speed! :poke:

Demanding of Mars 👽

• Thanks 1