Listening to the Solstice

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Just noticed in your sig that you're building a tank?

Still, sticking a box together should only take a few minutes before you get back to building proper stuff with wings on. :winkgrin:

Yes yes, very funny. 😂 my affair with the box is now complete. I’m back to winged things for a bit as of tonight. :innocent:

great brass work Tony. Top stuff.

Johnny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Very nice Brass work Tony.  It also needs to be cleaned after the soldering as the flux is acidic and will possibly go green and manky and weaken the joins which means that the joins could eventually come apart.  

Go on do a loco.  I build them occasionally and really enjoyed them .

Keep up the good work. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Thanks 1

Me minces is destroyed this morning after all the squinting at brass, but pleased to say that the engine-bearer is now all but finished.

giphy.gif

On 10/20/2018 at 1:23 PM, Spookytooth said:

Nice and steady Tony.

Starting to look the part there.

Although I see more tools arrived, don`t tell @CedB though, LOL

Thanks Simon.

Had a quick bash with the rolling set to form a new mounting collar earlier and although not really intended for forming rings out of tube, it did pretty well.

On 10/20/2018 at 1:24 PM, hendie said:

excellent brassierery there Tony.  - very skillfully done and as good a soldering job as I've seen

I think this is going to be one of your best. That last shot with the engine in place is a real teaser/taster for what's to come.

You are most kind hendie. Given the help I've received from the pilot's family I want to get this one right, plus am feeling- as they say - 'well up' for this one!

I definitely feel as if I'm skittering along the raw outer edges of my skillsets here, but wouldn't have it any other way....

On 10/20/2018 at 1:32 PM, Hamden said:

That engine mounting is coming together nicely, really neat soldering and bending!

Most kind Roger. It's amazing what tunnel-vision and several cups of fresh-ground coffee can achieve in a few hours! :laugh:

22 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I do like that engine bearer assembly, very nicely done. Plus you have a tool that @CedB doesn't have, astonishing!

Cheers Ian! :thumbsup2:

As to tooling, the only certainty in life is that sooner or later the Prince of Tools will have every tool in the universe clustered around him like courtiers... :winkgrin:

22 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

You should try it sometime, very therapeutic. This is how far I got with this one (White metal and brass). This, and some others, may yet be resurrected from the box of past times. Everything is held together with solder, including the white metal parts. Its 1/76 scale, and has a chassis that is true scale, P4.................

Ooooh but that looks pukka Terry!

Just supposing a chap were to acquire something similar along those lines, is there a particular knack to soldering white metal compared to brass? :hmmm:🙂

17 hours ago, perdu said:

How bad am I to want to watch you build that nacelle floor with the undercarriage bracket built in

Pretty damn bad I have to say Bill! :rofl:

I've a plan about how to approach it which is to ignore it for a bit....

15 hours ago, giemme said:

Tony, I'm impressed and in awe of your microblacksmith abilities :gobsmacked:

Too kind as always Giorgio. I've often coveted those tiny anvils you see jewellers using to an unreasonable degree. It'sonly working out what I might use it for that is restraining me. I need to find someone with tiny horses that needs shoes.....

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

my affair with the box is now complete.

Apology accepted.

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very nice Brass work Tony.  It also needs to be cleaned after the soldering as the flux is acidic and will possibly go green and manky and weaken the joins which means that the joins could eventually come apart.  

Ta Chris. I've got it soaking in some IPA aswe speak - I read that should get rid of any left-over flux?

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Go on do a loco.  I build them occasionally and really enjoyed them .

I don't suppose you know what model of loco this is and if there is a metal kit available similar to it Chris?

LHAM2.JPG.opt826x539o0,0s826x539.JPG

My great grandfather's handiwork back in 1920 regrettably, though due to mechnanical failure.

Well, I had great fun earlier trying to fix the mounting collar onto the contact points at the front, at this point with just the top one tacked on:

44554144965_f90b929301_c.jpg

I'd fabricated a slightly thicker (from 0.5mm tubing) collar than the initial one I'd built as I wanted to have something a little bit thicker to be able to mount the engine on to. Visually it won't be an issue as the circular engine exhaust will eventually cover it.

This job was a lot fiddlier and more time-consuming than it needed to be this morning, largely as I came to realize that using such a fine tip on the iron required me to have it up to a much higher heat in order to melt the solder quickly enough to stop it cooling too quickly and forming beads before it had flowed into the joins.

Eventually I completed the the first three solder junctions around the collar and set to work adding the traingular bracing on either side running between it and the firewall. Starboard side rigged and heat-sinked to go:

44554145085_7c8d9cf05c_c.jpg

Joint done.

44743232334_ae762ed823_c.jpg

I also remembered to add the diagonal brace that runs along the top immediately behind the firewall:

45468329371_09efa9a3ca_c.jpg

Front view:

44554145195_68d93bd70d_c.jpg

44554145205_d6436dcc84_c.jpg

Side:

44743232544_c82feddd90_c.jpg

Engine test-fitted to collar:

44554145315_e68d103a23_c.jpg

45468329471_486368b813_c.jpg

Aside from a single run on either side angling back to the spar, that cage is all but ready and we need to start planning how to mount it securely into the nacelle.

Something to ponder over the week....

All the best til next time.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

gobsmacked I am - that is wonderful brass work Tony.  That is really going to come to life with some paint and in-situ detailing.

10 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I don't suppose you know what model of loco this is and if there is a metal kit available similar to it Chris?

who needs a kit?  Some nice simple lines there - with your skills you should be able to scratch build one pretty easily (and not faff about for over 4 years like I've been doing)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hendie said:

who needs a kit?  Some nice simple lines there - with your skills you should be able to scratch build one pretty easily (and not faff about for over 4 years like I've been doing)

Agreed a 200%

Can you start the structure of an Avro Bison, 1/48 would be perfect :evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

There will some customers here on BM....

Great job on that engine bearer, really, I'm impressed !!

Congrats dear baron !

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

don't suppose you know what model of loco this is and if there is a metal kit available similar to it Chris?

Hi Tony  

Looks like it could be an E1 Locomotive.  Which look like a larger Terrier.  The way to confirm is that the buffers on a Terrier are higher than the buffer beam whereas they are not in the photo. 

Look up the story of Billington D3 0-4-4 tank loco 2365. I have built a model of this one in 1948 change over from SR to BR as 32365. This has a very interesting history and brought down an FW190 just outside of Lydd whilst traversing the Romney Branch line.

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Being by no means an 'expert'on LBSC loco's, Chris might well be right, but googling LBSC loco No 360 returns a wiki article that says it's a D1;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LB%26SCR_D1_class_locomotives

Don't know if you've seen these articles Tony, but a short accident report;

https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=1301

https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/eventsummary.php?eventID=910

And some more good pics of your great grandad's escipade;

https://www.gravelroots.net/history/199_48.html

And swerving back on topic, as the others have  said, that is more wonderful micro metal working!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Keith you are right. I have noticed the crank rod only goes to the second Driving wheel  which will make it a D1 as that trailing wheel is very large on the D1  and I mistakenly looked and thought it was a driving wheel. What a plonker I am. 

Very embarressed and will not be able to show my face around here for the foreseeable now.

All the best 

Chris 

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Ooooh but that looks pukka Terry!

Just supposing a chap were to acquire something similar along those lines, is there a particular knack to soldering white metal compared to brass?

Thanks Tony. White metal soldering just needs a lot of care and the use of low melt solder cos the white metal melts at normal solder temperatures! With low melt you get a little more time as the heat dissipation melts the solder, before it has time to melt the model. I wouldn't recommend soldering brass directly to white metal components although I think it could be done. I have some books I could recommend on the whole subject if you are really interested, but be warned, the bug can be seriously infectious ............

And I believe @keefr22 is correct in that this looks like a Stroudley D1 class 0-4-2.

If you are interested in seeing/building a model of this one check this link out and scroll down to the third entry for a couple of beautiful pictures.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110837-stroudley-d1-class-0-4-2/

I was smitten with fine scale 4mm engines once, and do have some kits of such still in my stash, in addition to the part built 9F that Keith correctly identified!

Thread drift over, some beautiful brass work on those engine mounts!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very embarressed and will not be able to show my face around here for the foreseeable now.

No need for embarrassment Chris, I find the world of steam locomotives fascinating but strewn with many many types spanning many many years, many of which look alike!

Terry

Edited by Terry1954
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

No need for embarrassment Chris, I find the world of steam locomotives fascinating but strewn with many many types spanning many many years, many of which look alike!

Terry

Ditto to what Terry said Chris - I didn't have a clue what it was and still wouldn't if it wasn't for google....!!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That micro-soldering is a true work of art. Come to that so is the rest of this model. The engine and support together are a mini-masterpiece.... I am waiting in anticipation to see what you do with the cockpit interior details.

P

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2018 at 1:52 PM, Hamden said:

That is one stunning piece of micro engineering.

Looking forward to the next update

Thanks Roger. :thumbsup2:

On 10/21/2018 at 1:57 PM, hendie said:

gobsmacked I am - that is wonderful brass work Tony.  That is really going to come to life with some paint and in-situ detailing.

Gracias hendie! With a positive snake's nest of pipes and sundries to cram in there it will I suspect feel like trying to pack a suitcase on your return from holiday...

On 10/21/2018 at 1:57 PM, hendie said:

who needs a kit?  Some nice simple lines there - with your skills you should be able to scratch build one pretty easily

I am a weak-willed man.

Please don't say such things. :laugh:

On 10/21/2018 at 2:03 PM, corsaircorp said:

Can you start the structure of an Avro Bison, 1/48 would be perfect

Aaah the Bison.

Truly a face that only Avro could love.

Like a Hawker Hart that got left out in the hot sun and the underside started sagging towards the ground....

Odd that I should not be alone in liking it CC!

(Wait...this is Britmodeller. Everyone's odd here.)

On 10/21/2018 at 2:38 PM, keefr22 said:

Don't know if you've seen these articles Tony, but a short accident report;

Keith: thanks so much for that thorough investigation! :worthy:

I wasn't aware that the incident was so well-documented at the time!

Bookmarks saved for future reference. :thumbsup2:

On 10/21/2018 at 2:44 PM, Spookytooth said:

Fine bit of soldering there Tony.

Beyond me and my shovel like soldering iron.

If I can do it Simon then anyone else sure as hell can! :nodding:

Practise - that's all.

And asbestos fingers of course....

On 10/21/2018 at 5:57 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Please.

No self-flagellation allowed on my threads Chris.

My pitiful train knowledge only hovers halfway between Rev. Wilbert Awdry and the chocolate vending machine on Surbiton station....

On 10/21/2018 at 6:36 PM, Terry1954 said:

I find the world of steam locomotives fascinating but strewn with many many types spanning many many years, many of which look alike!

They are so incredibly diverse as machines that it makes you realize just how complicated it can be to make boiling water move around the landscape Terry!

I'm a committed neophyte when it comes to technology, yet since we took the boys on the Corfe-Swanage line when they were small, have come to realize why 'the age of steam' was so evocative. The machines were alive! 😃

On 10/22/2018 at 8:49 PM, pheonix said:

I am waiting in anticipation to see what you do with the cockpit interior details.

I knew you would be P! :winkgrin:

Reckon there's a bit of room to spruce up that conservatory-like interior alright. :nodding:

The one gap in my knowldge currently  is whether any special aerials were rigged on the Anson exterior when the Hallicrafter's detection-set was installed, and what these might have looked like. :hmmm:I'm currently speed-reading Michael Cumming's excellent Beam Bombers about how 109 Sqn Wellingtons were used to jam Rommels tank radios using bedstead-like aerials dangling from underneath them. Crazy.

There's still so much technological history from that period that's been overlooked by mainstream narratives.

Thanks all so much for those invaluable train references!

As is customary at this stage of one of my builds, there's increasingly less aircraft present than when we started out:

30626286667_d2a8e8669b_c.jpg

I decided to simplify matters regarding the nacelle by excising top and bottom sections to match the arrangement of those on the actual aircraft, so hacked them off to the junctions where those parts meet the ribbed rear of the nacelle:

31694902508_70fc2d2557_c.jpg

Whilst doing this, I noticed that Airfix hadn't got the panel/rivet lines over the firewall seam correct - theirs are vertical whereas on the aircraft those seams angle to match that of the firewall.

That stuff above was done in a fit one morning during the week before work, really as a way of forcing my hand when it comes to (re)-constructing this whole area behind the engine.

I've also sketched out the jobs I want  to tackle next - getting the nacelle sections done, followed by the undercarriage legs, all from brass:

44653468295_02324e4319_c.jpg

I've been itching to play around with the new rolling set all week so despite being tired when I got home earlier this afternoon, I decided it was time to do a test run to check whether my ideas in this regard were viable:

Some brass sheet scribed and cut with scissors:

45567484361_e8d449bd35_c.jpg

Whilst annealing this on the kitchen stove, it occurred to me that there might be a better way of approaching this job altogether, simply by cutting off all remaining plastic mouldings for the panel completely (i.e., losing the sides of the nacelle inboard of the leading edge):

30626286877_7df6c53dfb_c.jpg

In this way I can simply build the nacelle from complete panel sections - including the complicated cutout for the undercarriage on the underside - whilst also allowing accessfar enough into the nacelle itself in order to build a secure mounting for both the engine-bearer and undercarriage. What that latter question will entail exactly, let's worry about that later, but for now, a play with the rolling kit:

44654054495_900b378222_c.jpg

Oh. I. Say.

That rig works wonderfully!

Let's check the diameter:

44653468435_820047eb31_c.jpg

I don't remember the last time I felt so pleased by a technique. 

Based on some close study of photos of this region taken from various angles, the tolerances where brass and plastic meet are within the bounds of acceptability in terms of matching circumferences (circumferii?):

30626287017_7b118febde_c.jpg

Those voids in the wing visible above will get sealed with Milliput later, they were simply the results of having to thin the inside of the wing out sufficiently for the curve of the brass to continue round inside of it. That interface between the nacelle and wing needs to be faired in anyway so no loss (probably with metal foil as that seemed to work ok on the Iron Chicken in a similar instance).

I reckon that's a runner then as a process - simple, straightforwards, and freighted with possibility:

45567484501_514c77e6b6_c.jpg

That was just a test run with a sacrificial scrap. Next I need to transfer all the panel lines and undercarriage openings from the intact port nacelle onto a flat piece of brass sheet (correcting the spurious kit seam-lines for the firewall region) before cutting out the required panel openings and thence rolling up into a cylindrical. I suspect it will be easier to do this as two sections - an upper and lower - in order to work on fitting the internal frameworks, detailing and undercarriage &etc.

Busy tomorrow so it might be Sunday before I've more to report on. This is pleasing progress tonight though in providing a viable methodology for this region of the aircraft.

Have a nice evening/morning/afternoon, depending on your respective longitudes!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

With a positive snake's nest of pipes and sundries to cram in there it will I suspect feel like trying to pack a suitcase on your return from holiday...

I had a holiday???

Bookmarks saved for future reference. :thumbsup2:

oh goody

As is customary at this stage of one of my builds, there's increasingly less aircraft present than when we started out:

Now we're talking!

so hacked them off

YES !!!

followed by the undercarriage legs, all from brass:

oh my goodness !!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Oh. I. Say.

indeed you do!

a better way of approaching this job altogether, simply by cutting off all remaining plastic

oh my gawd.... this is akin to polymeric pornography!!!

Edited by hendie
  • Haha 6

Wonderful piece of manipulation of brass there Tony. Please answer Giemme and tell us just how you did it. That looks like a tool that I could be persuaded to add to my limited toolkit.

I am also in favour of remving as much kit plastic as possible - it takes you ever closer to a proper scratch build....

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1