Listening to the Solstice

14 hours ago, giemme said:

Oh boy, oh boy  - here's the master surgeon back to his work :Tasty: :clap:

Grazie Giorgio: It seems almost bestial of course  to cut up a lovable old kit that reeeeeeeks of nostalgia from the first time around of building it in childhood, but I think that it deserves to be brought back to life with as much skill and reverence as I can muster....

14 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I don`t know if this pic is any good for your references.

Excellent Simon. Thank-you!

Is that the old drawing from Aeroplane magazine bitd?

BTW: If anyone wants access to the original Flight magazine Anson report and drawings from 1936 you can access it here.

13 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Everybody knows they do!

:rofl:

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Thats what I like to see, a good bit of major surgery with a saw!

Thanks Terry. :thumbsup2:

It occurs to me that modelling is one of those few occupations in which one can make such an utterance in public without attracting an Armed Response Unit....

11 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

And they giggle and point at us when our backs are turned

We're modellers.

We should be used to it... 

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Good luck with that detailing old boy

Thanks Johhnny, though I'll grant you it looks more like wanton destruction at present....

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

There you are then; that proves it!

Oi! Are you giggling and pointing? 🤨 :laugh:

3 hours ago, CedB said:

More proper modelling planned… bits sawed up… drawings being checked… great stuff.

Transfixed, again :) 

<Sigh>

What's wrong with me that I can't just look at a kit  without immediately analyzing it for bits to cut off? :laugh:

A bit like 'The Tortoise & the Hare', if the Tortoise won by dissecting the Hare at the start line....

Going to be a v. late finish at work this evening but compensated for by a later start-time so managed to perform some further chastisement to the kit. Mulling the pacticalities of fitting all the detail I want inside the engine nacelle (and associated gubbins to the rear) I realized that simply excising a single side panel was not going to work in allowing for the necessary level of access to buld such structures. I've therefore gone all out and removed nearlyall the circumference now, leaving just a narrow 'tray' in place at the bottom wherer the legs go in:

29987265297_a1e59dd2e2_c.jpg

The plan (as I like to dignify such wildly optimistic speculations) is to build the internal detailing and then form the required panels to go round it from annealed brass afterward. 

Also on the agenda are corrections to the empennage:

29987265177_4bd89760e7_c.jpg

There seemed no necessity to throw the baby out with the bath water on this region: I just neeed to extend those elevators by about 1.5mm with some plastic card, whilst the altering the width and angle of the tailplane trailing edge where it angles backward to meet the tail. Then the vexatiously-rounded tailplane tips can be sihrsc'ed into the correctly-sharpened degree of 'beak-iness'.

Ain't theory great? 😄

Don't expect I'll get a chance to touch this again til Friday evening earliest so have a good week all of you and thanks for looking-in. :thumbsup2:

:bye:

Tony

• Like 14

Et violet! Just as I was about to counsel the same method it transpired that you'da already dunnit.

I'm looking forwards to seeing the rebuild on that nacelle, oh yes I am, I am!

Don't you work too hard, we need you strong enough to work hard in here.

😀

• Like 1

Ain't theory great?

Oh yes it is. The problem that I have is turning it into something even remotely practical. But then having observed your skills over the last few builds, you do not seem to share such problems.

Looking forward to how you detail the engine compartment. Getting rid of the existing nacelle is definitely the correct approach IMHO - but then I don't have to put all of the gubbins  back...

P

You have all wrong Tony. If you start work late, you make up for it by going home early; simples!

Brother Martian (Amalgamated Union of Aliens and Associated Extra-Terrestrial Species) 👽

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

At least there is some actual kit on the bench. There look I can see it

It's only there till he throws it away....!!

Making all that gubbins behind the engine - that way modelling madness lies Tony...:blink2:

K   ( :dinosaur: says hi)

• Haha 3

Hi Tony,

I too have taken a run through this thread and watching your work unfold is fascinating!  By the way, has anyone taken you up on the offer of one of the kit canopies?  If I missed it, no worries; if it's available I am interested.

Thanks and cheers, Jim

On 9/26/2018 at 10:10 AM, perdu said:

Don't you work too hard, we need you strong enough to work hard in here.

:rofl:

What is it they say about a man serving two masters?

21 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Glad it is of use.

Certainly is - cheers Simon.

16 hours ago, pheonix said:

Getting rid of the existing nacelle is definitely the correct approach IMHO

Thanks phoenix - I'd place great stock in your opinion on such matters.

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

This is very interesting Tony.

That's one way of characterizing blind faith Chris! 😄

14 hours ago, galgos said:

Tony, some engine images which may help,

Cracking stuff Max - absolutely superb. I've no excuse for going wrong inside there now! :thanks:

13 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

You have all wrong Tony. If you start work late, you make up for it by going home early; simples!

I shall be sure to bring that up at the ensuing labour-relations tribunal Martian....

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

At least there is some actual kit on the bench

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

It's only there till he throws it away....!!

Job done Keith, Thank-you. 😆

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

that way modelling madness lies Tony

Buckle-up for the ride. Who knows what's going to happen.... :winkgrin:

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

This could get interesting..............

Ahh. That 'interesting' word again. 

Starting to get worrried.... :smile:

8 hours ago, Jim Kiker said:

if it's available I am interested.

PM me an address Jim and the original transparencies are yours. :thumbsup2:

Right.

Coffee break over. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Evening all.

Well, to top off a hectic week I managed to come home Thursday evening with some kind of virus that has wrought havoc with the plumbing, nausea, stomach cramps & etc. and enough wind to qualify as a human pulsejet. Got up to move around this evening and got a little more done on the tailplanes but nowhere near as much as I'd obviously planned to do.

Here they are in the raw and un-pretty state of having bits of scrap plastic affiixed in order to form the necessay extensions to shape:

44080280715_2776845d3c_c.jpg

Essentially the tailplane chord is too narrow and the leading edge not at an acute-enough angle.

The elevators got sanded-down first to the now correct length and the trailing edges thinnned to something more in keeping with the scale:

44272612134_8dd44250a2_c.jpg

Aftterward I added some scrap plastic to form the 'beaks' at the tips, filled in the rudder in order to build it up symmetrically, then proceeded to slather on the Milliput in a smaller-scale reprise of the manner in which the ribs and troughs were dealt with on the mainplanes:

44080280825_8da2509473_c.jpg

You can probably just make out under all that slap that I also added some 1mm strips insde the recesses for the elevators in order to push them back sufficiently to match the newly-widened chord.

Using a sanding drum in the Dremel the hardened Milliput gotknocked back flush and the final shaping down with sihrsc to the beak and trailing edge:

31118963108_63616986c0_c.jpg

Still needs a few blobs of Humbroll filler and a final W&D polish but those shapes are now effectively correct when measured against the technical diagram.

I did the other one side as well but as per SOP, I managed to snap the beak off of it in the last knockings so that's now curing under epoxy for the night to stop it happening so readily again. I also filled in the elevator trim tab at one end as you can see above - it's short by about 2mm in the kit moulding so needs scribing out later to the correct length.

Not very photogenic for you I'm sorry but at least some minimal progress.

Take care mes braves.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 13