Listening to the Solstice

Well...after being away last week in England (and nearly finishing-up unexpectedly joining our brethren Bill & Tomo for a curry in Brum on Friday night due to jumping on the wrong train at Cambridge), it's nice to be home again. One the flight out I noticed the Dublin-Holyhead ferry out the window and was reminded of a similar picture in Constance Babbinbgton-Smith's classic Evidence in Camera about how you could work out the speed of a vessel from the frequency of the waves:

32512941007_60ce2ecbea_b.jpg

A quick mental calculation and I worked out it was going at precisely 20 knots in that imaginary world where I can actually do such mathematics.... 😜

On 3/18/2019 at 3:16 PM, amblypygid said:

God's blood, Tony, what modelling mojo is in that chilli pickle?

This is yer man here Chris:

1471862653chilli-pickle-283g.png

It's basically a street drug that the Home Office haven't got round to banning. Three teaspoons with a meal and the endoprhin rush and sweating starts... :jump_fire:

On 3/18/2019 at 4:05 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

At the risk of being relegated to the naughty step

Given that you often find me already in residence when you're sent then there Pete, I'm not one to cast the first stone. :laugh:

On 3/18/2019 at 4:21 PM, hendie said:

now there's posh!  Most of us have only got basements, or sheds, or tables, and there's you got a full blown studio begads.

The string quartet have to go somewhere H. I can't possibly work without Haydn or Bruckner.... 😁

would googling wartime AC DC converter or summat yield any steampunkish contraptions that may be Baronized?

I followed-up on that thought but couldn't locate anything specific enough. I'm going to play my Joker on this round and leave off any radio gear that I can't vouchsafe as definitively being present on the ground the aircraft is being fitted-out for the mission here.... 

I'm looking forward to all the headsets and curly wires that should be littered around the internals like McDonalds cartons around a shopping mall 

Question for the comms experts: would the wires indeed be curly in an aircraft of this vintage, or more of the braided variety like this from a Lanc?

s-l300.jpg

On 3/18/2019 at 4:29 PM, Spookytooth said:

The radio looks great Tony.

Did it pick up the Light wave?

I believe I read somewhere that as an American set it automatically inserted commericals for soap powder between the dots and dashes Simon!

On 3/18/2019 at 5:08 PM, bbudde said:

Hello  Tony, Just that:

Thanks benedikt. :thumbsup2: Nice tune too!

On 3/18/2019 at 7:52 PM, giemme said:

And very explanatory of the immense (and artistic) job you're doing on this model

Most generous of you as alway Giorgio. I've been mentally moving around the details of this aircraft for so long now that I'd dearly love to get a flight in the real thing just to benchmark the imagination against! 😁

On 3/18/2019 at 7:56 PM, Martian Hale said:

The radio looks singularly effective.

Sweet of you dear fellow. Somewhere there's a little bit of film backing for the radio dial that came with the PE set but the bench is such a tsunami of tools and materials at present that Zarquon knows where it might lie....

On 3/18/2019 at 10:50 PM, The Spadgent said:

What did I just see?

:rofl:I can't possible tell from here....

On 3/18/2019 at 11:00 PM, pheonix said:

My sentiments entirely. I cannot find words to express my admiration for what you are doing here...

Praise indeed sensei. :thanks:

On 3/18/2019 at 11:38 PM, CedB said:

See, I can read a post without commenting on all the cocks and knobs.

Oh, dammit :doh:

:rofl2:

God help you when Airfix release the Grumman Gusset and Mitsubishi Merkin dogfight double kit Ced.

On 3/19/2019 at 7:09 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I’m not that impressed, to be honest.  That radio is quite clearly set to a completely implausible frequency.  Schoolboy error.

:laugh:

Just when you though Rivet-Counters were bad enough: up pop the bloody Megacycle Counters....

On 3/24/2019 at 10:26 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Great work on the internals Tony despite the knob falling off.  When photographed in place it all looks amazing.

Kind of you Chris. Thanks. :thumbsup2:

In and amongst everything else that's been going on, bits, and indeed pieces, got done on an everynowandagain basis. Largely these were the last few detailing jobs that I'm trying to get done on the inside of the aircraft in a vague supposition that at some point  - after ten months - it might be time to start colouring-in the insides.

Behind the pilot's seat as a couple of cage-like affairs in which parachutes are stored. I started this off with 0.3mm tubing:

46564192735_f8bf98a62f_c.jpg

Only after doing those did it occur to me that I was in fact hand-building staples... :doh::D

Soldered up and epoxied into place behind the seat:

33602874968_0ae80a55eb_c.jpg

As you can perhaps make out, I also drilled a hole for the pilot's control collumn to be test-fitted:

32537548987_5f8ba09a94_c.jpg

The seat and collumn will get epoxied in after all that brass is painted as in situ they'd interfere with getting the IP and parachute racks done.

I wnet back to the internals of the turret also in order to add the framing for gunner's seat and kneepad:

47426600992_a6ef2b3b8c_c.jpg

Some crudely shaped Milliput was donked on top and has been left to cure, prior to carving into a finished  'bike-saddle' shape later on:

32537549057_03450f23b6_c.jpg

The wing roots got boxed-in with scrap plastic also:

32537549067_08dd9b5b9f_c.jpg

Finally got this built too:

46564192825_61986e6736_c.jpg

What a relief! :facepalm:

32537549107_a478d4634e_c.jpg

Coat obtained.

Leaving premises....

:bye:

Tony

• Like 18
  • Haha 5

Now you're just taking the piddle.

Not sure how I missed the last week's worth of comments, but this is ridiculously good Tony!

Ian 

Automatically edited from what I typed to "piddle". You know what I meant....

Edited by limeypilot
  • Haha 3

Brilliant mate. Glad you're refreshed from your little sojourn and back to your miniature modelling mania. The detail in the cockpit is looking scarily wonderful. Don't leave it lying around as some itinerant tatters will have all that brass away. Pity you didn't end up in Brum (I suspect some may think otherwise!), a curry with me and Bill plus a long discussion about shades of grey (urm I mean FAA schemes not the film) would be cool.

PS I suspect the wireless headset wires were braided and not coiled (I stand to be corrected).

PPS 

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

It's basically a street drug that the Home Office haven't got round to banning. Three teaspoons with a meal and the endoprhin rush and sweating starts...

OI! don't get giving em any bleedin' ideas!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agreeing with m'learned buddy, braided wire for that vintage.

In the sixties and seventies whilst I was doing signals/radio training with the ATC and later in my TA service most of the gear was on braided cablings

Especially when our cadets were using the ex-RAF 1154/1155 sets

I'm still totally overawed by your soldering abilities Tony

Hmm, your saddlery b'aint not bad an'all neither

Wow

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hamden said:

STUNNING  What else is there to say?

Roger

Not much, really - and we get to say that recurrently on this thread .... :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Ciao

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Hamden said:

STUNNING  What else is there to say?

It does, just. I've had to give up looking for new superlatives before my grey matter imploded. Quite good, a bit nice & so forth really didn't cut the mustard, so yes, I've been forced to trot STUNNING out the odd time. Must be due to give mine another run soon. ;) :D 

Steve.

• Haha 3

Gobsmackingly good work! Sorry I have not been quite as attentive to this excellent thread over the last week but I am a bit wrapped up in trying to look after Mrs Martian at the moment.

Martian 👽

• Sad 1

Assuming that the little cake against your avatar is accurate, happy birthday Tony!!

🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂

Have a great day matey :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

That speaking tube is mounted a bit too low, surely? (And don’t call me Shirley)

they were real men in those days!

oh!   it's a speaking tube!

• Haha 4

Out to dinner this evening so no Friday Night Bench Live to report, but just time to deal with sundry correspondence before getting the cufflinks polished....

On 3/27/2019 at 5:06 PM, limeypilot said:

you're just taking the piddle.

Quite right Ian.  An indeed a boon to many a lost motorist trying to locate the Tolpuddle area of  Dorset....

826.JPG

On 3/27/2019 at 5:31 PM, CedB said:

Hilarious humour and marvellous micro-engineering - welcome back Tony :D 

Thanks Ced. :thumbsup2:

Had it been a case of 'hilarious engineering' then this would indeed have been a life of calamitous self-delusion! :laugh:

On 3/27/2019 at 5:47 PM, bbudde said:

As  above ( ok, lazy, but what should I say?)

'As below' would have been plain spooky I guess!! #mysticbenedikt :ghost:

On 3/27/2019 at 5:57 PM, Spookytooth said:

Fine brass work again Tony.

With copious amounts of humour added too.

Kind of you as always Simon.

On 3/27/2019 at 6:23 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Pity you didn't end up in Brum (I suspect some may think otherwise!), a curry with me and Bill plus a long discussion about shades of grey (urm I mean FAA schemes not the film) would be cool.

One day I'm gonna get on that train deliberately by accident! :winkgrin:

(That sounds like it should be a Johnny Cash song.... :banghead:)

OI! don't get giving em any bleedin' ideas!

Ideas? Ideas? Haven't you been following politics recently Tomo.... :rofl2:

On 3/27/2019 at 6:32 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Brilliant work fella, this is going to look amazing in paint 

Sweet of you Chris - I'm oddly reluctant to paint any of it at present but will have to summon up the sinnews and check that the Iwata isn't full of spiders soon I guess....

PS I suspect the wireless headset wires were braided and not coiled (I stand to be corrected).

On 3/27/2019 at 6:36 PM, perdu said:

Agreeing with m'learned buddy, braided wire for that vintage.

In the sixties and seventies whilst I was doing signals/radio training with the ATC and later in my TA service most of the gear was on braided cablings

Especially when our cadets were using the ex-RAF 1154/1155 sets

Bill & Tomo: thanks for saving me having to make lots and lots of tiny curly wires to keep @hendie at peace! :phew:

On 3/27/2019 at 6:36 PM, perdu said:

I'm still totally overawed by your soldering abilities Tony

I'm beginning to suspect that seeing the abundance of talents so regularly and copiously displayed across this forum Bill, that each of us has a suite of materials and tools that we seem to particularly 'click' with (and admire in each other's work).

Speaking of which, I lashed out some gelt on a tube of GS-Hypo having seen your fond comments regarding same. :thumbsup2:

With profound levels of glazing in the near future this seemed a judicious moment to put it to the test....

On 3/27/2019 at 7:18 PM, Hamden said:

What else is there to say?

😄 Kind of you Roger.

On 3/27/2019 at 8:28 PM, rob85 said:

My 9 year old daughter is a dab hand at tiny braids, shall I give her some dimensions?

It's a lovely idea Rob, a cottage-industry in scale aircraft cabling!

On 3/28/2019 at 8:27 AM, giemme said:

we get to say that recurrently on this thread

It's you lot wot keeps me careful Giorgio! :laugh:

On 3/28/2019 at 9:13 AM, stevehnz said:

I've had to give up looking for new superlatives before my grey matter imploded

At least you have a reason Steve. Mine implodes out of sheer irrascibility sometimes I think! 

giphy.gif

On 3/28/2019 at 10:51 AM, keefr22 said:

So I'll stick with STUNNING too.

Thanks..!!

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Sorry I have not been quite as attentive to this excellent thread over the last week but I am a bit wrapped up in trying to look after Mrs Martian at the moment.

Dear friend, you must take care of what is most important. These flakes of metal will still be here later.

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

That speaking tube is mounted a bit too low, surely?

:rofl:

Reminds me.

I need to add a packet of breath mints beside it on the windowsill....

Thanks all of you for the birthday vibes. Off to an Italian restaurant with famille Baron for the evening so off now for a shave and dousing in Old Spice. 🤭

More tomorrow probs.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

54 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

#mysticbenedikt :ghost:

Mystic me??  No, nicht wirklich! Hopefully, otherwise the world could/would be lost. Have a nice dinner and always keep it simple on your plant as it could be. It's complicated enough anyway.  Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1