Listening to the Solstice

A lot harder than doing them in wood with a CA coating I would think!

I'm not sure about the cross brace in front of the landing gear either, it might just stop it moving!

Ian

• Thanks 1

Im not convinced that brass would be any better than the lovely Airfix moulding, looks tidy to me see

P1130980.jpg

This needs enlarging but on my monitor the kit parts do not look too different

P1130975.jpg

And this might help with attaching the undercart to the airframe, not sure...

P1130976.jpg

Looks damned flimsy to me, how 'bout you?

And the oil coolers look a bit thicker here

P1130984.jpg

:(

Maybe ought to remove these, shall I?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

How hard could it be to do these in brass? :hmmm:

now we're talking!!!

Tempting as it may sound, you probably don't want to anneal the brass before you start.   Once it's annealed there's no real way to 're-harden' it so it will be soft and bend very easily - probably something you don't want in the finished article.

Brass can only be work hardened but I doubt you 'll be doing enough 'work' to get it back to it's original state.  

j8c59.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I'm not sure about the cross brace in front of the landing gear either, it might just stop it moving!

That's quite right Ian - on the actual aircraft that cross brace marks the point where there's a kind of extended vertical triangular bracket directly above and inline with it on either side, into the apex of which the locking gear for the oleos are mounted. As even I'm  not daft enough to try building a double-hinged locking-gear at this scale I've snipped the cross brace out now as although it is there on the design of bearer frame, there's no safe way of cutting it down and fixing it directly between the two bits of brass tubing that the oleos are going to be mounted in on that side.

I can leave it out without spoiling the visuals of the aircraft, and as long as you keep schtummm, the others mightn't notice my indiscretion... 🤫:laugh:

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

A lot harder than doing them in wood with a CA coating I would think!

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Im not convinced that brass would be any better than the lovely Airfix moulding,

I've a secret to share lads in that - as may have become vaguely apparent from time-to-time - I'm partially using this build as a sandbox to see how far I can push my metalworking abilities to a higher level in anticipation of more advanced metal-based projects in the future.

In this respect material-reasoning frequently takes a back seat, and in relation to which, I earnestly apologize for giving any false impression of rationality behind my conduct! :banghead:

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Looks damned flimsy to me, how 'bout you?

Gosh. I'd be afraid to get into the aircraft on that evidence Bill! 😨

This shot from the Nhill restoration looks a tad beefier in comparison and nicely shows where the radius arm is hinged to the rear spar:

46505902382_e6cc234a17_b.jpg

(Apologies to the guys there, I wan't able to find the url I downloaded this from again to give an exact credit.)

2 hours ago, perdu said:

And the oil coolers look a bit thicker here

The do indeed Bill and would seem to match the PE more closely, however, they don't match the more svelte version that can be seen in the maintenance manual or reference shots of wartime Mk.1s, eg.

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.7944567.431779876

...so I guess it's possible that chunkier version is a later variant/modification?

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Maybe ought to remove these, shall I?

Gosh no! I likes 'em! 😁

Speaking of Anson pictures, I found this in the IWM archives a while back:

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.221519325.4317798

I'd seen those well-known shots of two Ansons getting intimate but not this of one nibbling the ear of a Whitley!

1 hour ago, hendie said:

now we're talking!!!

:rofl:

1 hour ago, hendie said:

Tempting as it may sound, you probably don't want to anneal the brass before you start.

Duly noted.  :thanks:

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

OK

so

Whitley loses rudder and flight control due to lost rudder authority

Rings base and says "I say base, bit of a problem re: lorst port fin. Any chance of borrowing somebody stooging around, all aimless like who could land on top and give me the use of a rudder and fin? Oh I say, letting us borrow Carstairs for half an hour, thanks awfully. Toodle pip. call you on finals huh"

Or dozy Anson driver lands on top of said Whitley as he staggers back from Wilhelmshaven, totally cream crackered

Anyway carry on dear chap, we're watching, learning and..

Deciding that is a furrow you can plough for yourself

Oh ah along with a few other metallurgists

;)

• Haha 4

On 1/1/2019 at 8:24 PM, perdu said:

Anyway carry on dear chap

It'll be:

p36905_v_v8_aa.jpg

- at this rate Bill! 😱

On 1/2/2019 at 12:00 AM, CedB said:

but brass props? I wait with bated breath…

It may of course prove entirely impossible to do Ced, but I would feel deeply dissatisfied at not having tried.

Amazing the damage these crates could sustain and still keep flying:

20180427Montrose3-PR.jpg-768x512-640x300

https://www.flightjournal.com/avro-anson-restoration-underway/

Spent a rather splendid day-off up in Dublin yesterday with Mrs. B at the Canaletto exibition in the National Gallery.

Imagine my disappointment that the exhibition wasn't about ice-cream at all:

31670794287_75b5575d21_b.jpg

Fascinating work on many levels, not least of which was learning just how frequently yer man Giovanni used to move bits of Venice around in his paintings if reality didn't look quite right...

They also have a wonderful annual instution up there of a set of Turner watercolours which are only allowed to be shown to the public for one month in January, according to the terms of their bequest.

Water painted with water, how beautiful.....

image.jpg

On the way to the National from St. Stephen's Green is this haven:

31670817327_551932cf30_b.jpg

One of those places hidden in plain view that you pass so often on your way somewhere 'important'  thinking: 'Wonder what that is?'. We stopped for once to learn that this was a Huguenot graveyard dating from the later 17th C - a reminder that so many of our family histories only came into being from immigration. Buffetted by the growling traffic, this modest square of grass manages to retain both tranquility and birdsong.

To matters Ansonian then.

Earlier in the week I'd managed to knock up an oleo mounting for the port side out of some scrap wheel-well left over from the Iron Chicken:

45888648784_17b49403c9_c.jpg

A few brushes with the sihrsc and it got glued into the cavity:

45888648844_17b49403c9_c.jpg

You can see how much those legs had to be repositioned from the original locating lugs that Airfix had originally much further forward. The stumps of these still proved useful in their afterlife however, yielding an extra buttress to glue the replacement mounting up against.

Whilst up in town yesterday there was also a pit-stop to replenish some necessary supplies for the next steps:

32738781788_17b49403c9_c.jpg

As well as this, some extra brass sheet, larger tubes and several metres of low-temp solder also arrived in the mail from Eileen's Emporium - I like ordering from them as they always attach their brass tube (for protection in the post) to long thin planks of plywood, which make  excellent bases to pin/tape things to when soldering. Thank-you Eileen! :thumbsup:

Having spent so long with my hooter stuck in a nacelle all Christmas, I decided that I needed a change to something bigger for a while and has originally decided that this morning I would begin work on building the internal tubular steel structure of the fuselage, viz. and to whit:

39647793783_6ced9c8310_c.jpg

This did not go as anticipated!

Have a closer look at the curving underside of the fuselage in that drawing above.

Here, borrow mine. 🔍

Now, check the side profile of the kit against the side view in maintenance manual:

45888648694_2c4284d013_c.jpg

There are - as you can see - a number of issues of shape that I should have caught before.

The underside of the kit is far too flat under the wing area and is not deep enough for most of the length of the aircraft - the disagreement between kit and drawing is (a quite siginificant at this scale) 2mm at maximum extent:

45888648614_2e07ee2825_c.jpg

You can also see both wing spars (at the (2) and (4) labels) poking out from underneath the kit as well.

Now. I would expect the RAF to be visually-meticulous in their technical instructions to ground crew to get such matters accurate and certainly both of those drawings above correspond with each other in the matter of the more pronounced lower curvature. In addition, Special Hobby seem to have caught that region more accurately in their moulding (see the diffference in elevation between bottom of aircaft and bottom of the wing root - this ain't there on the Airfix moulding):

1334_1_SPH48081_3.jpg

Due to the presence of the engines, it's not easy to find reference photos that clearly show this region with enough profile information visible, however here:

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.7944567.431779876

and here:

img_2818_nhill_anson_900.jpg

https://acesflyinghigh.wordpress.com/2018/02/10/restoring-an-avro-anson-2018-update/

- convince me that the issue is primarily that Airfix have rendered their underside flat, whereas the extra depth of the actuality is accounted for by the underside being much more curved in profile along the bottom of the fuselage.

The nose itself also needs to be deeper, reshaped, and more squared-off in profile at the bottom:

32738781668_8b829eb868_c.jpg

(that gun moulding will also be coming out)

This then is the region that needs redress:

46560941952_f115b7b566_c.jpg

Initially I'd had the screaming abdabs at the thought of possibly having to vacform (Down Bill! Easy boy...) a new lower fuselage, due to having to lower the cockpit floor and leave room for an accurate internal framework. With the amount of detailing still intended to be added here I didn't relish the idea of a major excursion into the vacuuum Iron Chicken-style. Further coffee and the remainder of the Shortbread Selection whilst pondering the plans leaves me more sanguine now that the existing kit floor will still give me an accurate level for the cockpit:

39648667083_62fab57468_c.jpg

- whilst the revised underside can be built up (or down, if you catch my drift) once the fuselage is mated by laminating withplastic sheet and screeding the resulting 'hill' with Milliput to fill the angles. That procedure should then provide the added 2mm depth of curvature required to restore Ansonian Karma.

He said, optimistically. :laugh:

As well as the side view that you can see in the plan above, I've also taken the half-section upper and lower views of the tubular structure into Photoshop and mirrored them to create complete full upper and lower plans-views, with reference with the relevant internal cross-sections joining them:

46612766421_d4f8076a42_b.jpg

Side and upper/lower plans I'll cut out and pin the tubing to for (hopefully) accurate soldering in due course....

I hope to start cutting the brass for that later, though as my wife's aunt (a 93 year-old nun of incredible vitality) is visiting for the afternoon, spousal responsibilities may intervene...

Peace be upon you for now brother modellers.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 14

I think the Battle stole the missing fuselage depth, that would explain both of them! 

I thought I was alone in finding old graveyards fascinating. That looks like an interesting little spot!

Oh, and don't forget to allow for the thickness of the plastic when doing that framework, it probably won't fit as is!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

fascinating.   I was really looking forward to the propellers, but this will be just as entertaining.

I enjoyed doing the bracing in my Lysander build though there wasn't nearly as much as you'll have to weld together here.  The one thing I remember was - whatever rod size you think looks good - go one size smaller!

Ah... Carry On Screaming - the best of the Carry On series imo

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

It may of course prove entirely impossible to do Ced, but I would feel deeply dissatisfied at not having tried.

exactly!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It is sad that the Divine Fenella thought the Screaming role was the nadir of her career

What a fabulous babe she was but hey, there is always somebody disappointed someplace  :(

And a pretty wonderful future in store for us when the Anson belly gets the attention it cries out for

(No Tony I would have done the belly with the ancient planking method, I do not think vac forming is the only answer every time :)  )

You will take note of Hendie's cautionary word I know, it's always thinner (and way more expensive) than we expect

Enjoying this immensely

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Enjoying this immensely

Same here! I can't believe you are going to reshape the whole fuselage belly, Toby! :frantic: Very much looking forward to it :Tasty:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Hello Tony First of all a belated Happy new year. Nice work again and I like the idea of a new corrected vacu bottom. "Wenn schon, denn schon!!" ..after all that exquisite modifications by now. " Du ziehst ihn ja eh einmal auf links" (turning the inside out)

Cheers Benedikt

Btw: these graveyards are always a bit funny and strange to me. Maybe my age now and the conciousness about that ( Too old for rock'n roll, but  too young to die ).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I thought I was alone in finding old graveyards fascinating. 

Hello Ian, maybe and depends on the century they were. A little one of the past century (WW2) is lying on a  field  wreathed with trees around a mile from me and on my usual sunday walk . The other one, which minted and still minds me is the churchyard/cementry /graveyard/Friedhof in the centre of my former town, where I grew up.  Walked a thousend times across that, since my life from my primary school till now (Mostly the only way there and back: School/ Party/lLive & Death/Shopping/Dentist/ etc.).

And therefore that Hooters song  is a special one for me for that kind of meetings here and there then and now.

So I'm not so keen to visit any other here now or elsewhere,  although maybe interesting. Only if really neccessary.

That's not a bad desicions on graveyards, I think Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

Fantastic work Tony, if I am not too late, a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year to you and yours and to all the BM'ERs.

The results of your brass work is truly wonderful and inspiring. 

Are you going to carve new props too ?

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2019 at 2:57 PM, limeypilot said:

I think the Battle stole the missing fuselage depth, that would explain both of them! 

Rumours circulated amongst modellers in the late 60s that deep within the secret bunker under Mount Airfix there was a Roy Cross painting on display of a hybrid 'Batson'.

Allegedly.

I thought I was alone in finding old graveyards fascinating. 

You old Goth you! :winkgrin:

I know what you mean though. :nodding:

There have been multiple occasions when walking in 'God's Acre' has provided a deep respite from life. Despite its successes in many spheres of life, modern capitalism has been a dismal failure at creating public places for calm reflection. Even those arch-capitalists the Victorians hadn't forgotten such necessities of life..

Oh, and don't forget to allow for the thickness of the plastic when doing that framework, it probably won't fit as is!

A salutary reminder Ian and one that got me busy with the Dremel last evening in response! :thanks:

After cutting out all the moulded internal features (bar the wings spars) with a cutting disc, I switched over to a birr and hollowed out the inside of the fusealge as much as I dare.

Work in progress:

31689067077_e7a6eee9d2_c.jpg

That 3mm chisel that I know many of you have yourselves was great for tidying-up.

The walls of the kit moulding arre about 1mm thick on average but in the cockpit area I've managed to get this down to about half of that figure to make room for the internal framework, whilst along window openings and so forth (that will be visible from outside) it's down to about 0.3mm in thickness now.

On 1/5/2019 at 3:00 PM, hendie said:

I was really looking forward to the propellers, but this will be just as entertaining.

:laugh:

No pressure then, by the Holy Whiskers of Saint Kremmen!

captainkremmen2.jpg

I enjoyed doing the bracing in my Lysander build

See your metal work on that Lizzie had been like a total inspiration H-dude.

I don't think I'd even smelt a whiff of flux at that point of picking up modelling again but remember watching you at work on the cage and feeling some subtle shift in the equilibrium of the universe....

The one thing I remember was - whatever rod size you think looks good - go one size smaller!

I read that last night and rose this morning filled with resolve not to charge ahead without making some careful visual checks in that department.

23 hours ago, perdu said:

You will take note of Hendie's cautionary word I know, it's always thinner (and way more expensive)

Most grateful to you both hendie & Bill for that note of caution. It has been acted upon. :thanks:

Ah... Carry On Screaming - the best of the Carry On series imo

It is sad that the Divine Fenella thought the Screaming role was the nadir of her career

Oxford English Dictionary.

'Smoking hot' (Eng.) colloquial. See:

Dm1yK8dXoAEnb8_.jpg

I would have done the belly with the ancient planking method

:hmmm:

That gives me a possibly better idea that my original laminations Bill.

Experiments shall be conducted before committing to a final plan for that belly...

21 hours ago, giemme said:

I can't believe you are going to reshape the whole fuselage belly, Toby!

:rofl:

I'm not letting Toby anywhere near it Giorgio.

He just sits beside the bench glowering disdainfully...

125188.jpg?quality=90&resize=620,413

15 hours ago, bbudde said:

So I'm not so keen to visit any other here now or elsewhere,  although maybe interesting. Only if really neccessary.

That's not a bad desicions on graveyards

😄

Have you been reading Heidegger again Benedikt?

Dasein is such a complicated thing, ain't it?

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Are you going to carve new props too ?

I'm not anticipating carving at this stage Chris. If things go awry with trying to form them from brass, I may try biting them into shape in unreasoning fury... 😼

A belated HNY to U & yours as well sir!

Last thing late last night like, I pinned the plans up to some wood in preparation for some solder:

46578087892_0a21c8bbbd_c.jpg

(Apologies for the out-of-focus shot: I was too lazy to get my specs.)

After sanding-down the inside of the fuslelage after last night's predations with a birr, I remembered that I'd intended to have the rear cockpit door open in order to reveal a bit more the innards in the final result, so marked this out for removal:

46578088062_23df4a5eec_c.jpg

It's an odd asymmetric shape isn't it? Reminds me more of those kind of door you get on on a horse-drawn carriage....

A bit like the undercarriage. it's so prominent and quixotic a shape that it needs careful attention to get it done right:

46578088122_71ff951db1_c.jpg

Note the replacement curves I had to build for the top of the doorway when the first attempt went a bit horrible....

With that sorted and with brass incipient, it was time to heed hendie's, Bill's and Ian's warnings regarding internal volume and size of tubing. With regard to the former I used calipers to check height and width for all the vertical stations, with the following results marked-out:

46578088332_c932db7cf3_c.jpg

I was surprised tbh that hollowing-out the cockpit had proven so effective - the only lateral frame that needed reducing in size was that of the rear spar ('J'/'Q' as marked), which needed to lose 3mm in height. I'm not sure why just that one was out, as despite reducing the height of the rear spar (which on the kit is incorrectly moulded the same height as the front one), there was not enough height. I presume that this being one of only two lateral sections with an arched top, the kit roof is not sufficiently arched in that region to account for this. Given the current thinness of the kit walls however I'm not going to risk breaking through and fatally weakening the roof in that area, so can leave this as-is without compromising visual accuracy in the finished result.

To tube size then. Two obvious factors help to guide here - the visible size of the tubing in relation to crew members and the visual size of it when seen from the outside through the window (in relation to the overall aircraft structure). Man vs. Tube first then:

46631693161_f81675b96c_o.jpg

A closer look at internal photos also revealed that there are in fact two different sizes of tubing used.  When looked at from the side, the 'V' section between front and rear spar:

39648667083_62fab57468_c.jpg&key=fe5bdd5

is actually thicker than the rest of the main framework - presumably to absorb the  greater degree of stress during landing straddling - as it does-  the two spars to which the undercarriage is ultimately mounted.

At least, that's my uninformed guess...

Initially I had thought that 0.4mm would do for the main framework and 0.5mm for the thicker 'V', but comparison to crew members in the photos made me reconsider. The final clincher was the view from outside:

46578088452_308834b1c0_c.jpg

Quite simply the 0.3mm tubing (the left one in the above shot) looks to scale for the main framework, whereas 0.4mm to the right does not (though it does look good for the thicvker 'V' section mentioned earlier).

So what do you know - hendie and Bill were right about tube size being smaller than expected! :laugh: :thumbsup:

With the Riddle of the Sphinx Anson addressed then, brass was cut and soldered using the maintenance manual as a printed template:

46578088492_da97eddf89_c.jpg

Results were not displeasing:

46578087392_7925d40d6e_c.jpg

Delicate in requiring gentle handling at this stage, but definitely not displeasing:

46578087612_aa6da7b5e3_c.jpg

As with the real thing, this of course will grow in structural strength one these sections start to form three-dimensional structures: they clearly are in the 'vulnerable' stage at present and now safely in a tray tucked to one side as a result.

Before that though, a visual check on size vs. available volume:

31689066827_83b41709ce_c.jpg

Height ok. :nodding:

In fact, the only 'fit' issue at this stage is about 0.5mm more to hollow out in that top corner of the roof to let the framework move in to the side a little further:

46578087822_b28d53eb0a_c.jpg

From outside though, scale looks good:

46578087652_52fba3ce9d_c.jpg

I'm also - as you can see above - in the throes of removing the moulding for the gun recess to add something a little more 'defined' later. I don't of course know if this particular aircraft went beam-hunting fully-armed, but- as a wartime operation - would it be a safe assumption that they were sent up with some means of self-protection?

Time enough to work that out anyway.

As work kicks off in a big way again this week and likely to remain in high gear until Easter, updates may fall back to periodic again after the holiday. I must say though, I'm really enjoying this Anson no end.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 17

32 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I'm not letting Toby anywhere near it Giorgio.

He just sits beside the bench glowering disdainfully...

Ooops .... :blush:  Keyboard dyslexia, I think ... :shrug: Apologies, no offence meant - to you and Toby  :rofl: 

As for the framing: there was something going on about sanity, I seem to remember ...  :rofl: 

Kidding aside, you're up to an outstanding job here :worthy: 

• Haha 1

Lovely stuff Tony.

The soldering looks great, the .3mm certainly looks to be the correct choice. I'm finding myself thinking ahead to the Battle main gear and how I can reproduce it accurately enough. Keeps the grey stuff working!

Ian

• Thanks 1

Nice start to the fuselage structure. 

Will you be covering the airframe in Irish linen ..................................................................................I'll get me coat!

Roger

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

another wonderful insight into the musings and ruminations of the Baronial mind. Utterly superb.

I did find it a bit difficult to concentrate on the subject matter at times due to the presence of a certain Ms Fielding at the start of the update. Fenella is up there with Yvonne De Carlo,  Carolyn Jones, and dear old Sioux (in her Jujuesque guise)  in my book, or should that be large and slightly unwieldy leather-bound tome?    (I do have a friend (and I do stress "friend"!)  from up in the islands who bears more than a passing resemblance to Fenella, but that's another story.)

This thread feels like the spiritual essence of Johnny Morris, Tony Hart, and Jack Hargreaves have been amalgamated (morphed ?  :D )  into a single higher entity seeking release through our esteemed Baronial colleague.

Tony, you weren't playing about on the Ouija board when you were contemplating your proverbial when you were sitting in that graveyard were you?  Been swapping stash for souls recently?

Seriously though, this thread is shaping up to be even better than the iron chicken

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ah! Carry on Screaming, one of my all time favourite films. 😱

Nice work Erminetrude.

Martian von Frying Tonight! 👽

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, hendie said:

another wonderful insight into the musings and ruminations of the Baronial mind. Utterly superb.

I did find it a bit difficult to concentrate on the subject matter at times due to the presence of a certain Ms Fielding at the start of the update. Fenella is up there with Yvonne De Carlo,  Carolyn Jones, and dear old Sioux (in her Jujuesque guise)  in my book, or should that be large and slightly unwieldy leather-bound tome?    (I do have a friend (and I do stress "friend"!)  from up in the islands who bears more than a passing resemblance to Fenella, but that's another story.)

This thread feels like the spiritual essence of Johnny Morris, Tony Hart, and Jack Hargreaves have been amalgamated (morphed ?  :D )  into a single higher entity seeking release through our esteemed Baronial colleague.

Tony, you weren't playing about on the Ouija board when you were contemplating your proverbial when you were sitting in that graveyard were you?  Been swapping stash for souls recently?

Seriously though, this thread is shaping up to be even better than the iron chicken

I, let it be known, agree with 'im!

Fenella, Yvonne and Carolyn, let alone Siouxxx

What awe inspiring memories

Phew!

• Like 2

Wonderful work! It looks like soon you will be throwing out the last of the plastic and presenting the Britmodeller massif with an entirely brass Anson!

On the subject of graveyards (or at least memorial sites), one of my favourites is Postman's Park, a tiny park in the City of London, which is decorated with ceramic tiles recording  the tales of those who had given their lives attempting to save others.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Have you been reading Heidegger again Benedikt?

Dasein is such a complicated thing, ain't it?

Hello Tony, sorry no I haven't read Heidegger again. Life is complicated enough. I mean Hiersein is as complicated as Dasein here or there and "Bauen, Wohnen, Denken" wouldn't be the right context on that graveyards then, especially thinking.

Btw: Nice start/work on the frame. Wondering, how much plastic will be left over in the end. I guess only the antenna and maybe some mass balances. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2