Listening to the Solstice

52 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

My memory is fading - I had a Dragonfly in mind....

Unfortunately I no longer have a VHS video recorder to play my old copy....!!

Keith

It was a Widgeon on the front cover of the paperback copy I used to own...

Wonder where that went?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, perdu said:

You and our ex-Navy helibijopter driver were of course right Bill!

22 secs and later into the original trailer;

I'm going to have to buy the DVD now!

Keith

• Like 4

On 12/16/2018 at 8:14 PM, perdu said:

What I suspect is that the 'putative flat plate' is actually intended to close the gap when the machine is in the air,

That sounds:

19 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

A very logical theory.

Bill and Martian. :thumbsup2:

On 12/16/2018 at 8:14 PM, perdu said:

yes I know, I have seen the nacelles on old Annie, aerodynamics schmaerodynamics

Reminds me that the roof of the starboard one also has a dinghy compartment that needs some representation

On 12/16/2018 at 8:15 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Cracking Job Tony.

Most kind Chris

err.

Yes. Name right this time. 🤦‍♂️

On 12/16/2018 at 10:15 PM, keefr22 said:

Erm, I think those thanks should be directed to Chris, Tony

Oh you do, do you? :rofl:

I'll be the judge of that Caroline, thank-you very much. 😈

On 12/16/2018 at 10:20 PM, hendie said:

you did such a great job with the box section it took an absolute age to find a fault with it.    

You've got to admire perseverance... :evil_laugh:

On 12/17/2018 at 8:31 AM, CedB said:

Just goes to show that modelling these old birds isn't as easy as it looks

It's the particular age of some of these kits that makes you try all the harder to get things 'right' sometimes isn't it?

On 12/17/2018 at 9:27 AM, limeypilot said:

Good job too, those new legs are looking great.

Now that I've understood the structure properly! :banghead:

On 12/17/2018 at 12:05 PM, AdrianMF said:

Looking forward to undercarriage Mk II.

Ta Adrian. :thumbsup2:

Let's hope MkII nails it this time...

On 12/17/2018 at 1:42 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I too am a devotee of that film

Hail fellow and well-met! 😁

On 12/17/2018 at 1:42 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

notable for a rare appearance by a Westland Widgeon,

21 hours ago, perdu said:

Yes it is a Widgeon

Quite so....

46316305252_e957d9a397_b.jpg

I love the way it skates around the air above those boiling seas in these shots!

21 hours ago, massimo said:

yep, that's exactly what i meant

Thanks for meaning exactly that Massimo! 🤩

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I had a Dragonfly in mind

Could you do a cut and shunt on a Dragonfly to make one of these I wonder Keith? :hmmm:

#haveadragonflybutmightlikeawidgeon

15 hours ago, woody37 said:

I’d never really analysed the undercarriage legs of an Anson, I think I need a lie down now

Hi Neil. 😁

Yes, you & me both! The singular shape of the various parts - especially the arms I'm currently struggling to represent that hold the axle - seem more like some form of medieval harrow than 20th C aeronautics....

15 hours ago, perdu said:

Wonder where that went?

Probaly into Balle nan Ul.

''mouth of the grave''..... 😉

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'm going to have to buy the DVD now!

Bluray no?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Eight-Bells-Toll-Blu-ray/dp/B019EC9QHM/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1545140837&sr=1-2&keywords=when+eight+bells+toll

What on earth is that yellow rotary thing on the cover...?

919OrhQTFLL._SX522_.jpg

Nowt to show you today compatriots but I have been experimentally banging away on anvil with annealed brass to try and form that 'shepherd's crook' part of the radius rod that grips the wheel hubs at the front:

46367634021_2e3c68133f_b.jpg

The tolerances are so fine at this scale in trying to get those varied bends that I'm doing a good few practice bashes in odd spare moments to build up skills with hammer and heat before making an actual attempt on building a version that I can stand over.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

What on earth is that yellow rotary thing on the cover...?

919OrhQTFLL._SX522_.jpg

Fair question.  Looks like a kind-of-Widgeon with a serious case of blade sail, a squashed main gearbox housing, a 5-blade tail rotor (possibly even an entire tail borrowed from a Seaking HAS 1 - that horizontal stabiliser is 100% non-Widgeon/Dragonfly) and a Cr*b colour scheme.  Apart from that it’s spot on!

I’m sure you could do a Widgeon from a Dragonfly with a bit of cut & shunt; after all, that’s pretty much how Westlands built the original!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I'd just grab it with a big pair of pliers and bend the sod!

You wouldn't think this was the same man that's making the most outstanding Fairey Battle I've ever seen would you? :laugh:

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I’m sure you could do a Widgeon from a Dragonfly with a bit of cut & shunt; after all, that’s pretty much how Westlands built the original!

I'm feeling emboldened already Crisp!

45648602084_cb7f5fa712_c.jpg

New nose on that and a Philip Calvert figure dangling off the underside and we're away!

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Tad modern for me Tony, it's not long since the aforementioned VHS jobbie departed this mortal coil....

I s'pose you're having no truck with this new-fangled semaphore business either? 

45648728094_ea14d9d660_h.jpgKeith. 😜

As mentioned earlier, I'd been having a lash on the anvil and up until today this was the best I could come up with for the upper curved arm the attaches to the axle of the undercarriage:

46371484541_b9d5c0fc1c_c.jpg

Best you can say about that it 'functional' and that's being kind.... :shrug:

I'm using 1.25mm brass rod to hammer into shape for this, largely on grounds of strength as the axles will have to bear the weight of the aircraft. Drilling the holes on the ends also adds to the challenge. Like most jobs involving making something small with curves from scratch, this has involved making a number of sacrifical test pieces in order to identify a set of techniques that will work at this scale and I think tonight I got them in the right order.

Having annealed the brass bits for the part, the initial curve was roughed-out using a 4mm piece of thick-walled brass tube to bend it, the thickness of the 1.25mm bit being such that it took a couple of whacks on the 4mm bit with a hammer to get it to bend into the recess on the rolling set:

46371484621_d0f17b852a_c.jpg

Only once this curve was produced did I trim those pieces to length: I'd been doing it bottom-about-face previously by cutting to length first and then bending. And then swearing because it never seemed to bend exactly symmetrically.

I'm not quite sure what I was doing here but it looked purposeful:

46371484501_ff9f0dc543_c.jpg

Actually, looking at it now I realize I was marking out where to bend the ends of those lengths outwards to run parallel with the wheel hubs, as below:

31432223087_7c4a19ac62_c.jpg

The curved bulge is obviously to accomodate the thickness of the tyres, which presumably had to be deflated to get them on and off?

Some further annealing and hammering on the anvil and the ends are flattened ready to drill some holes through them for the axles in the next session:

32499588018_b5d11be60c_c.jpg

In scale terms, the ends should be thinned-out some more but bearing the weight of Annie on those ankles as they do,  I'm going to leave them at this thickness for reasons of structural strength.

Yes. I have checked that the wheels fit into it!

46320882282_30a6745b04_c.jpg

:laugh:

Night all.

Tony

• Like 17

12 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

You wouldn't think this was the same man that's making the most outstanding Fairey Battle I've ever seen would you? :laugh:

I'm feeling emboldened already Crisp!

45648602084_cb7f5fa712_c.jpg

New nose on that and a Philip Calvert figure dangling off the underside and we're away!

Crack on with it then! :whip:

I am liking the work that is going into the undercarriage parts: so much so that I am considering getting a soldering iron myself if I can find an electrical on that is small enough for my needs.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

May I say crazy?  I hope you don't mind. My patience wouldn't allow that seriously at the moment. Tried some 0,3mm to 0,7 mm  drills on my diecasts to fix several things and there are  a pain for me at the moment.  Worked, but I' m still not in the mood for things like this, I have to admit.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

that I am considering getting a soldering iron myself if I can find an electrical on that is small enough for my needs.

Hello Martian What about this: I have one, but not used till now. (Afraid of using them on my dicast things/Zink made things).

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/soldering-station-48w-899-cordless-soldering-iron-6w-699-lidl-parkside-2871145

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I am liking the work that is going into the undercarriage parts: so much so that I am considering getting a soldering iron myself if I can find an electrical on that is small enough for my needs.

Martian brass?

It simply has to be a thing darling!

This was the one that hendie reccommended to me over a year ago:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Soldering-Iron-Aoyue-469-Station-60-Watt-with-Interchangeable-Tip-PCB-Soldering/232855488953?hash=item363744c9b9:g:x1IAAOSwIeFbUFoL:rk:2:pf:0

and it's behaved impeccably. With a set of interchangeable tips:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/10Pcs-Solder-Soldering-Iron-Tip-For-Replacement-Hakko-936-Station-900M-T-B/183594099775?hash=item2abf0fa43f:g:L-4AAOSwAVlcEgOJ:rk:1:pf:0

it seems well able to deal with all sorts of sizes/shapes of join as well.

Others will have equally valid reccommendations as well for sure.

14 hours ago, bbudde said:

May I say crazy?  I hope you don't mind.

I wear that as a badge of pride Benedikt! :thanks: :laugh:

12 hours ago, hendie said:

lovely!    Nice to see the anvil being used in anger. 

My sensei:

x1080-kvx.jpg

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That’s some splendid modelling kidder.

Its been a while since I saw the old beast, looking like you have everything under control here 😎. Hope the illness has cleared up. Take it easy dear Barony.

Glad you approve of matters dear heart. Thanks for the kind wishes.! :thumbsup2:

11 hours ago, giemme said:

Usual, fascinating micro-hammersmithery,

I need my sleep!

R-1981008-1367437510-6204.jpeg.jpg

Oooh. Look at that lovely tube structure! Anyone ever done a Motörhead diorama on here? :hmmm::laugh:

10 hours ago, Andwil said:

Such a pleasure watching a master at work.

Join with me, and you shall know more power than you can possibly imagine!

first-appearance-of-the-master-delgado-terror-of-the-autons-doctor-who-back-when.jpg

It'll be just like running Facebook....

ta1.jpg

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Obviously whacking it with a hammer is more effective than bending it with pliers.

I tried hitting it with the pliers, but they kept bouncing off. By a process of elimination that only left the hammer.

You can never accuse me of sophistication Ian.🛠️:laugh:

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Ced?

Is it me or has he been rather quiet of late - I wonder is he at work on a pre-Brexit tool strategy? :hmmm:

Should Maybot self-destruct he will have an unassailable lock on the UK domestic tool market...

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

The truly splendid modelling continues Tony, sprinkled with one of the most entertaining threads on BM!

Looks like good old Jack Hargreaves to me ............. ?

30 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

My sensei:

x1080-kvx.jpg

I recall watching Out of Town in the early sixties. He seemed to be able to make or fix anything in that old shed. I wonder how he would get on with this Airfix Anson of yours!

Terry

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Martian brass?

It simply has to be a thing darling!

Is that what you pantomime dame outfit is going to be made of this year? Incidentally, which panto is it? Goldilocks or is it one of the Ugly Sisters again?

Curious of Mars 👽

PS: I now have a cordless iron on the way to Martian Towers, I just have to think of a use for it now.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

The truly splendid modelling continues Tony, sprinkled with one of the most entertaining threads on BM!

You old flatterer! :thanks:

In a different life Id've probably been happy writing gags for Les Dawson or Sir Les Patterson..... :laugh:

Looks like good old Jack Hargreaves to me ............. ?

That is indeed his Out of Town-ness. :nodding:

That kind of observant, gently modest TV is long gone regrettably.

I recall watching Out of Town in the early sixties.

Me too Terry! Though later in the 70s (when I think they used to be on just before World at War...)

I managed to get hold of a whole load of VHS transfers somebody had dumped on the web a few years back; they sometimes get streamed through onto the monitor in the kitchen of a Sunday morning and - despite them being denizens of the digital age - both my lads will stop and watch old Jack yarning on about lark-twirling and bee-skeps. Something very elegaic about those programs as social documents: an England (I use that deliberately as they were primarily about England, though with the odd excursion to Scotland or Ireland) that was dying away even as I was born.

I wonder how he would get on with this Airfix Anson of yours!

Knowing him, he would have known somebody who worked on the real aircraft and used scavenged parts to make a Cheetah-powered cider press somewhere in the Cotswolds...

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Is that what you pantomime dame outfit is going to be made of this year? Incidentally, which panto is it? Goldilocks or is it one of the Ugly Sisters again?

Aladdin Snow White.

It's an adult adaptation....

Small but significant milestone reached tonight in getting the bits that the axles attach to completed and drilled-out:

32512829748_8e9e69828f_c.jpg

For strength, the actual axles will be made from 0.5mm steel sewing-needles cut to length:

44567932170_155b12acbf_c.jpg

Moving on to the wheels themselves briefly, the kit hubs are ghastly, so the first task was to sand the hubs down so that they no loger sit proud out the tyre itself

Before and after:

45472348465_35edc73ea2_c.jpg

Once flush, both sides of each wheel were then glued-in and some Slater's rod glued in to plug the holes in the centre so that these can be re-drilled to the diamters of the new axles later. I had hoped to used the Flightpath etch for the wheel hubs but regrettably they have notch cut out to let them be used with the original Airfix radius arm that won't work with mine. Sadly it doesn't look like too much of the etch set is going to get used here in the end. I can bash some brass hub bosses out myself later as replacements.

Quick eyeballing then to finish to make sure that things look in proportion to each other thus far:

45472348485_5f52f92fd5_c.jpg

Getting there. There's a bit more work needed to build up the curved lip that runs around the mudguard at the bottom, then once that's done I have height & distance sorted at the wheel end and can begin building backwards alonf the radious arm itself. We'll leave it at this stage now tonight though with the critical stage of getting the axles sorted now done:

32512829838_c489076645_c.jpg

Tony

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Silly question Tony, but how did you sand those hubs down so neatly without touching the surrounding tyre?

51 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

44567932170_155b12acbf_c.jpg

I do like those brass horseshoes - maybe when you have a spare 5 minutes you could make 4 more and sculpt a bronze horse to fit them too. Just to expand your repetoire of metal working skills. You'd need to flatten them a bit on that lovely little anvil first though....!! :)

Keith

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Is it me or has he been rather quiet of late - I wonder is he at work on a pre-Brexit tool strategy? :hmmm:

Quiet? Me? Just busy, sadly, and waiting for resin for the Nimrod. And Christmas. I've sent my letter to Santa - mostly tools, obviously :) 

Pre-Brexit planning? What's that then? (Sorry, no politics on this forum - much like Westminster then :wicked: )

12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

good old Jack Hargreaves

Ah, Jack, the epitome of skilled craftsmen. Were he female and interested in herbal remedies they would no doubt have dunked him…

Tony your skills are really showing… tuck 'em in mate for goodness sake, putting us all to shame.

I must admit I looked at those lovely undercarriage parts and thought 'Plastic wheels? Cuh! Surely it would be easy for him to knock something up in rubber?'

Just goes to show that people nowadays expect more than they deserve...

Lovely stuff Tony. 'Impressed' is a barely adequate expression of my admiration :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Silly question Tony, but how did you sand those hubs down so neatly without touching the surrounding tyre?

Glad you asked because I am wondering the same thing.

AW

• Like 1

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

19 hours ago, Andwil said:

Glad you asked because I am wondering the same thing.

I know what you're thinking chaps. Wizard-like skill or phenomenal technique. :rofl:

Boringly it's the fact that the hubs come in two parts thus:

45674181394_de8f3a5be9_c.jpg

The areas outlined in red were cut off from the kit radius arm and sanded-down to half of their original thickness so that they would sit more inside the bulge of the tyre when glued together on it from each side.

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

you could make 4 more and sculpt a bronze horse to fit them too.

Boy this is a tough audience! :winkgrin:

22 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Lovely work on the undercarriage. There are some difficult shapes in there but you’ve nailed it!

Thanks Adrian. One of those jobs that if you don't get it right, it will just be staring back at you accusingly forever and a day.

20 hours ago, CedB said:

I've sent my letter to Santa - mostly tools, obviously

Me too - I'm hoping to get something to bash curves into metal with.

Hope the resin comes and you get a chance to kick back soon Ced. :thumbsup2:

20 hours ago, CedB said:

I must admit I looked at those lovely undercarriage parts and thought 'Plastic wheels? Cuh! Surely it would be easy for him to knock something up in rubber?'

giphy.gif

Sadly nothing for you structurally this evening fellows as like most of you no doubt am in the last throes of getting all those last minute jobs done prior to the holiday kicking-in. I do want to try and get in for a good long sesh on the undercarriage over the weekend if at all possible.

Hope things aren't too mad for you (unless you want them to be!) 😁

Tony

• Like 6