Listening to the Solstice

Oooh, very nice indeed! Started off all brassy and now it's turned black and sultry......Reminds me of a lady I once knew.

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Haha 6

On 12/2/2018 at 4:44 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

No Baldrick. I shall be called.... The Black Anson!

:rofl2:

On 12/2/2018 at 4:44 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Excellent pre-shading that chap. (Or whatever you're doing).

I prefer to start from the shadows and work my way into the light Pete.

Worked in Vienna anyway...

vlcsnap-2214514.png

On 12/2/2018 at 7:14 PM, bigbadbadge said:

will get there though.

Yes you will Chris! :thumbsup2:

On 12/2/2018 at 7:53 PM, giemme said:

It's all looking propre, Tony - if you know what I mean.

Gracious of you to say so Giorgio. ☺️

On 12/2/2018 at 8:18 PM, hendie said:

since the advent of computers:

i)   my spelling has gone downhill drastically

ii)  my handwriting skills have almost disappeared entirely.  I can just about scratch a sentence on a good day then it all goes awry

since moving to the USA:

i)   my lexicon has shrunk like a small shrunken thing bared to the wind on a Scottish winters morn

y'know... I completely forgot there were wings 'n' things attached to this build.  Glad you reminded me

Beautifully typed and spelt hendie.

The committee was unanimous in deciding to award you the book token as 1st prize.

On 12/2/2018 at 10:09 PM, The Spadgent said:

my monical nearly fell out when I saw everything in primer

You neglected to mention where it fell out of Johnny....

On 12/2/2018 at 10:20 PM, CedB said:

I demand to know where you get your snaders from!

From Liberace!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snader_Telescriptions

On 12/2/2018 at 10:43 PM, bbudde said:

Maybe you should try a goldsmith work, if you are not to bored about that.

I find such work tends to kill a relationship Benedikt.

53-23339-goldfinger-bond-1421368257.jpg

On 12/3/2018 at 1:22 AM, perdu said:

Don't tell him Pike, er I mean Tony

He'll be insufferable if he has those too

If we were really wicked Bill we'd start inventing tools in our posts the way old sweats do to the new apprentice in the job.

Anyone seen my skyhooks?  

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

On 12/3/2018 at 5:17 AM, AdrianMF said:

For me, the phantom fabric guy is a lot more annoying than the phantom riveter -

The blighter was a positive fetishist about the stuff imho Adrian.

On 12/3/2018 at 5:17 AM, AdrianMF said:

Looks good in black! They didn’t have an Anson night fighter did they?

Not that I know of Adrian although it wouldn't surprise me that some kind of special duty one got given the shade of night for some task or other during the war.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Oooh, very nice indeed! Started off all brassy and now it's turned black and sultry......Reminds me of a lady I once knew.

We'd  guessed that  there was a reason you fled to Abu Dhabi Ian. :winkgrin:

5 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Things always look better once a coat of paint has been laid down.

Although, as you pointed out, it shows up any flaws to.

Such is life. It giveth with one hand.

Then sets fire to your trousers with the other.

• Haha 4

I think the lad b*ggered off with your skyhooks, they were the skyblue pink ones weren't they

It won't matter he's in the line at the stores for the long waits, we can pick him off at leisure

Black Anson, yup

A chap could aspire to a monniker like that one, awfully aspirational...

• Like 6

On 9/16/2018 at 1:57 AM, TheBaron said:

The flaps are 43mm long x 6.8mm wide .

I have been looking at this thread with great interest. I was initially going to do my Anson strictly OOB as a paint canvas but I have been kind of seduced by it to try a bit harder. Finding I had a Flightpath set didn't help the OOB cause much. There is no way I am going to copy anything but the basics of @TheBaron's magic but I will do a little. I quoted the figure at the top as it takes ages to wade through this thread to find anything - and that's just looking at the pictures!

I have sanded off the Airfix fabric wings

46212909731_4e3d7a5611_b.jpg

and I'll polish them up a bit. I looked at the SH ones - ohhh dear, I think they are metal panels?

I was just going to ignore the flaps but hopefully it's just a bit of filling and re-scribing. I don't want them open.

I got a bit carried away (in OOB terms) with the interior.

46212909101_dec45fdf23_b.jpg

Thanks again for doing this thread and inspiring me to do a better job! I suppose Airfix will now come out with a new Anson!

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

I got a bit carried away (in OOB terms) with the interior.

Loving that interior Ed!

Soon as a map goes in I'm hooked. :laugh:

Those wings look really nice and smooth now and you're dead right that a fill and scribe should do for them flaps. :thumbsup2:

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

:gobsmacked::gobsmacked::gobsmacked: 

I see the Three Wise Men With Lockjaw emoji is back for Christmas CC!

'We Three Kings of Orient are,

One in a taxi, one in a car...'

Haven't been near the bench all week, having been in a cycle of up early, insane workload, home, eat, sleep, repeat.

Except for Tuesday when up early to head to Dublin.

This is what a rural Irish railway station looks like at 5.30am in December with the temperature at 0:

46220352901_95db55630d_c.jpg

No Stroudley came through. :sad:

On arriving in Dublin, I decided to walk from the Heuston station  to the hotel my training course was at - a walk of about 40 mins through old backstreets around the Liberties area with a crescent moon and Venus in the dawn sky like something out of Gormenghast. The walk back to the station was even more stunning at dusk, for similar reasons. Also had the schadenfreude of standing waiting at the traffic lights for the lights to change behind the Guiness works and witnessing some young nerk of a businessman loudly Facetiming somebody at his office, walk straight out and fall over the bonnet of a car sat waiting in front of us for the lights to change. Driver of the car  - a large and uninhibited gentleman - gets out and gives said nerk 3 minutes of pure full-on Dublin dog's-abuse. Poetry I tells you.

Had a kip when I got home this evening and unexpectedly found some sparte energy from somewhere so decided to have a lash at some undercarriaging. As @galgoshas already noted a while back, the kit job on these areas are of their time. Again, no complaints from me about that, but given the prime inspiration for this build, the plastic status quo will not hold.

Here you can see the kit moulding alongside some various diameters of tube and rod cut out to make a replacement. Biggest size of tube on this will be 1mm for the main shock-housing and axle hubs, smallest will be some rod of about 0.3mm for the internal bracing:

46169635502_7cb943ed68_c.jpg

First step was to sweat-solder the shocks into the their lower mountings:

46169635572_1fb25056a2_c.jpg

Followed by some 0.8mm tubing to create the lower sections that run down to the axles, again soldered in:

31281324657_55ed03c8c2_c.jpg

Some 1mm tubing soldered across to form the axle tunnel:

45496322244_f3de871b89_c.jpg

Simpler to do it that way in terms of keeping things shipshape and Bristol-fashion until the rest of the assembly is done and then I can cut out the central part of the axle tunnel to add the wheels.

Next I added the upper cross-section, which actually forms part of the retractable frame that draws the undercarriage up into the nacelle when being raised:

46169635622_53dc52bfe6_c.jpg

Final task was to add the diagonal bracing from 0.3mm rod:

46169635682_7bd7994fe0_c.jpg

The card is there to raise them up off of the wood so that they'll be centred on the surrounding parts for soldering. I'd expected these to be fiddly but as it turned out they went on nice and handily:

31281324707_1e70476194_c.jpg

Whether it was having had the week to mull over this structure and then the pleasure of getting back to the bench again I don't know but this was one of those pleasant sessions where you seem to make headway almost effortlessly:

46169635722_b9519d5ef5_c.jpg

A bit of clean-up need on the solder in a few places but otherwise a satisfying burst of activity. A final check to see if after all that my measurements were ok and that it actually does fit into the nacelle:

46169635792_31c5c1e29a_c.jpg

Could have been made for it! Well, it was, but you know what I mean. :banghead:

I need to trim the upper parts of them for length so that they fit higher into the nacelle as you only see the lower third of the diagonal bracing, plus some strips of foils to add in one or two places to mimic a number of collars that vary the thickness of the uprights in places, then it's on to the radius arm. You can see the bloody great agricultural sweep of the thing coming down from the rear of the nacelle and grabbing the axles in an iron first:

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.204975440.1588668

Going to be a right old howsyerfather getting that bloomin' thing sorted out for shape and distance I can tell you. Might be some banging on the anvil involved...

I've gorra work this weekend chucks so mightn't have much for you, but hope you're getting some in yourself.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 17

Tony, 

Make sure you get a bit of time to relax won't you.

I added up my hours for this week earlier. 57. Lots of booze delivered though. And lots of miles traveled to do it.

I do find that I can mull modelling problems over as I drive, so yes, things do go smoother when I (eventually) get to the bench.

Oh yes, more brassery stuff. Nice and delicate and looks the part.

Now that picture above, of the refuel. Interesting indeed.

What uniform is the elderly chap on the left wearing? Polish? French?

And the 'erk' next to him, surely not RAF issue kit?

The tractor has an English plate, could this be a picture from France I wonder?

Extreme right, is that a bomb under the aircraft belly? Looks like an anti sway clamp on it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The IWM page the photo came from lists this as 321 (Dutch) Squadron Pete. Based at Carew Cheriton, Pembrokeshire.

17 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Extreme right, is that a bomb under the aircraft belly? 

That's a good question! 

I thought that the bombs on an Anson were housed internally in bomb traps in the wing root so what this one is doing outside (unless in the process of being loaded) is puzzling.

20 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Tony

:nodding: Will do mate, thanks. I'm working from home over the weekend thankfully so will knock off mid-afternoons. Mrs B also discovered a flagon of sloe gin at the back of the drinks cupboard that has been maturing since we made it nearly a decade ago, so the tools of relaxation are to hand!

Hope you're getting some R&R yourself.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Hope you're getting some R&R yourself.

Fish and chips and a beer when i eventually got home tonight.

An evening of BM perks me up no end too.

Tomorrow we are looking after our two Grand Daughters all day.

I may need another pick me up after that!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok, Tony, the madness goes on. Good to see that (for the Anson)! For the night picture, I can say that I like these kind of photographs, but maybe not that comfortable, when you are  waiting for a train. Btw I'm glad your not supposed to be (a) Goldfinger. Indeed better for relationships in any way, I think. Cheers

• Thanks 1

As staggered as usual Tony

Not only at the exemplariness of the brassings but also the lyrical, nay poetic recounting of the everyday

Triv...? No not trivia this is the stuff of legend ( leg-ends again, am I becoming an obsessive? Yipes)

Tales of the essential life of the essential Emeralderie

I love this thread

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Exemplary work on the uc Tony, I'm taking notes because in a GB on the Large Scale Planes forum I'm re-starting my 1/32 vac Anson build where I'll be scratch building the whole undercarriage. Like you I'm planning metal oleos but probably resin casting the long curvey bit! 

Max 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Tony, 

I added up my hours for this week earlier. 57. Lots of booze delivered though. And lots of miles traveled to do it.

I do find that I can mull modelling problems over as I drive, so yes, things do go smoother when I (eventually) get to the bench.

Oh yes, more brassery stuff. Nice and delicate and looks the part.

Now that picture above, of the refuel. Interesting indeed.

And the 'erk' next to him, surely not RAF issue kit?

The tractor has an English plate, could this be a picture from France I wonder?

Extreme right, is that a bomb under the aircraft belly? Looks like an anti sway clamp on it.

Hello Pete,

I would have said a Belgian Pre war uniform...

Now, I'm not sure, Dutch were may be similar !

Hello Tony,

The same here, when I bring my daughter to her bus stop at 0530...

I would I've been there for the 3 minutes of Dublin poetry…. :rofl2:

As a non born English speaking guy, I'm Always eager to learn…. :whistle:

I join Pete, Have some rest too !! Chasing the devil by the tail is somewhat exciting and funny

But there is Always a time for your body to send you an invoice… Guess how I learned it ???

Really good job on the U/C

I took a bet on ther fact that you cannot Not any longer use the OOB U/C :whistle:

Guiness factory Huh :drink:

Sincerely.

CC 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Blurghhhh.

Bed-ridden with the foulest of colds and furious, quite furious. My immune system can expect a very strong letter from my legal representatives - make no mistake about that.

The worst of it is feeling so sheight that you can't actually enjoy a decent level of misery and self-pity; umpteen books tossed aside with sighs of disinterest, music of any kind frankly irritating, whilst the thought of attempting a film - even  When Eight Bells Toll which is my go-to panacea for what-ails-ye - is without merit.

Ah, but I can at least seek solace in what modelling chums have to say...

On 12/8/2018 at 12:32 AM, perdu said:

Not only at the exemplariness of the brassings but also the lyrical, nay poetic recounting of the everyday

Nowt so distressing as seeing so many fellow human beings wandering around staring into phones in complete oblivion to the world immediately surrounding them.

As long as there is light there are things to see. Even amidst the concrete.

An alternative explanation is that social media simply represent a Malthusian mechanism to divest societies of their most pathetically self-obsessed individuals via manholes and road-crossings...

On 12/8/2018 at 12:32 AM, perdu said:

I love this thread

And the thread is richer for your presence Bill.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:52 AM, galgos said:

Exemplary work on the uc Tony, I'm taking notes because in a GB on the Large Scale Planes forum I'm re-starting my 1/32 vac Anson build where I'll be scratch building the whole undercarriage. Like you I'm planning metal oleos but probably resin casting the long curvey bit! 

That's what we like to hear Max. Are you going to be including that rectangular upper frame above the oleos that articulates up and inward?

I'm still mulling the best way of representing that curvey great radius rod. The internal framework looks a lot easier than the wavy fairing that covers it tbh but there's no credible way I can see of leaving it off, plus they are a key visual characteristic....

On 12/8/2018 at 7:52 AM, CedB said:

Nice legs Tony, beautiful work :) 

The waxing's painful of course but nothing else gets them so smoooooth....

On 12/8/2018 at 7:56 AM, giemme said:

Impressive, Tony! 

Oh for those lost occasions in life when one yearned to hear such praise.... :rofl:

On 12/8/2018 at 10:56 AM, corsaircorp said:

The same here, when I bring my daughter to her bus stop at 0530...

You are one dedicated parent CC. :nodding:

On 12/8/2018 at 10:56 AM, corsaircorp said:

I would I've been there for the 3 minutes of Dublin poetry…. :rofl2:

As a non born English speaking guy, I'm Always eager to learn…. :whistle:

There is also the 'Dublin second'; being that interval between the traffic light turning green and the driver behind honking their horn whilst speculating loudly about your resemblance to the male generative organ. Any longer than two seconds leads to the use of headlights accompanied by speculation regarding your supposed sexual congress with women who have borne one or more children.

Teuchter, Ed, Ben, Pete: thanks for your replies also fellows! :thumbsup:

• Like 5
  • Haha 5