Listening to the Solstice

Roger, Simon, Ian, hendie, Adrian, Benedikt, Ced, Chris, Heather, Giorgio, Johnny, CJ, Martian, Pheonix, Neil, Tomo: thanks for all your advice, comments, and chuckles. You are - as always - a most kind and responsive bunch of companions! :worthy:

I've nary been within sniffing distance of the bench all week I'm afraid so must apologize for the lack of any visuals to tittivate your retinal fields.

Between current work and being back and forth to Dublin between now and Christmas, this dismal lack of pace on the Annie looks set to change from weather to climate for the next few months. With a couple of other personal projects now kicking in after the New Year as well, I'm beginning to wonder if it will be late Spring until being able to pause for breath, quite frankly.

Only a churlish fool would complain about being this busy in something that they're lucky enough to love doing for a living of course, but I'd be lying to suggest that there aren't moments that irk me when feeling the urge to get back to the Annie. Equally it irks me not to be able to pay due homage to your own builds but I hope to keep a weather-eye on matters from time-to-time!

There will continue be bits and pieces appearing here - not with the regularity I would wish - and rest assured that the fires of enthusaism remain well alight. :nodding:

I've also ordered a copy of Haresnape's Stroudley Locomotives: A Pictorial History, so clearly not distracted enough it seems.

Hope you're all doing ok in your chosen runs. :thumbsup:

:bye:

Tony

• Like 14

40 minutes ago, hendie said:

we'll still be here bickering over the hobnobs and irn bru

Ooh, irn bru.....I'll have a Smokie and a bap too please!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hello Dear Baron,

I fully understand, IRL is demanding sometimes.

If everything is going well for you, and if it's your choosen path, that's just right, sad but right !

So let's wait for the next annie's instalment !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spookytooth said:

Hob Nobs are a biscuit Giemme, and IRN BRU is a soda drink from up North i.e. Scotland.

Simon.

It sounded like something positive, now I know - thanks Simon! :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, hendie said:

bickering over the hobnobs

Well, someones nicked mine!

This site used to have such high standards....

Tony, take your time and stay in good health.

Just leave the key under the mat & we'll come in and dust from time to time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That’s the first time in history that a non-Scot has described Irn Bru as “positive”.  Trust me on this one, Giorgio; never, ever try the stuff.  It is evil.

I have been unavoidably absent from this build for a while, so have just gone from the “not quite satisfied with this nacelle” phase to “sublime exhaust manifold”, including Great Grandpa Baron’s little loco-mishap and the current version acquiring not just a new tool (I have one of those roller jobs, and they’re brilliant) but an entire brass bashing room. All in the space of 20 minutes’ reading.

Bonkers and brilliant, Tony.  If I wore a bone dome these days it would be duly doffed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I've also ordered a copy of Haresnape's Stroudley Locomotives: A Pictorial History, so clearly not distracted enough it seems.

Excellent reading Tony! The LB&SCR figured prominently in my 4mm loco dabbling, many years ago. Such attractive engines and liveries.

I agree with Crisp and many others also, such exquisite brass work indeed.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Well, someones nicked mine!

This site used to have such high standards....

Tony, take your time and stay in good health.

Just leave the key under the mat & we'll come in and dust from time to time.

That's a great idea, and we will bring the goat, some puffins and chilli of course.

The poor Percy is retired now but we'll find new contenders for speed records attempts !

58 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That’s the first time in history that a non-Scot has described Irn Bru as “positive”.  Trust me on this one, Giorgio; never, ever try the stuff.  It is evil.

Thanks Crisp !

Now, I want to try Irn Bru.... Really evil ?? How many volts in it ?

So, that's said !

I'm already waiting for the next soldering lesson, are we in the spring yet ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 2

Hi Tony

If you are wanting to build a Kit of the D1 look at Southeastern Finecast website they do splendid models of locos in white metal and etch chassis.  There is an oo gauge kit of the D1.  I have their oo gauge Wainwright H class 0-4-4 tank engine to do in my stash . 

There is a  cracking site to have a look at other model railway stuff. Look at RMWeb. 

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

we will bring the goat

Oooh, that could cause a problem at the border.

Goats are taxed in Ireland and must display a licence plate.

And then there are the rabies and scrobie certificates to obtain.

A small easily portable dog would be less trouble.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Alright, I'll take your word on that, Crisp :rofl: If we ever meet, I'll b happy to be guided into the knowledge of what is good and what is evil amongst Albion's food and beverages  :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dear Baron - we are a patient lot & look forward to future updates - I have a list of builds I’m following & waiting patiently for like ex-FAaWAFU Sea King & Martians Tracker - meanwhile my Alize is grinding along slowly

CJP

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Alright, I'll take your word on that, Crisp :rofl: If we ever meet, I'll b happy to be guided into the knowledge of what is good and what is evil amongst Albion's food and beverages  :thumbsup:

Ciao

Oh dear

Prepare to be lambasted by the chaps from north of the Roman Wall Giorgio

Irn Bru, bless its antecedents and contents is a produce of Scotland

Albion is an ancient name for, mostly England but the archaic name for similarly mostly Scotland is Alba

I realise that might just confuse the uninformed but by now you must understand that the whole darned lot of us are, well hardly European

Harmonising is still somewhat lacking...

Irn Bru is however always a bit like drinking the contents of a rusty steel can that failed to ferment

I (think) love it, I  certainly did sixty years ago

It's been a while...

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, perdu said:

Albion is an ancient name for, mostly England

I knew that, but I was being deliberately malicious .... :wicked: Just for fun, of course :rofl: 

6 minutes ago, perdu said:

Irn Bru is however always a bit like drinking the contents of a rusty steel can that failed to ferment

Oooh, that doesn't sound really good ...  :crosseyed:

Ciao

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Imagine drinking lemonade from a rusty tin.

That's the best description of the stuff I've ever seen! Although drinking lemonade from a rusty tin through a dirty straw would still taste better...

Just don't do a Fritag Tony....!!

Keith

• Haha 6

When you're ready Tony… we all know you have to earn a crust so that you can afford Telford next year!

Looks like there's going to be a good US contingent, so not to be missed :) 

• Like 1