Listening to the Solstice

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

It's easy to grasp Steve, once you get the hang of it ............... I reckon gas mark 3 (160 Fan oven) for about 3 mins, heading 025 degrees magnetic for half a pint, at around 80MHz. Squawk 7400 and remember with your layer height things go funny when you reach the inversion layer.

And at all times keep an eye on your Nr.   Wouldn't want any transient droop, now would we? 

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I've seen his lunches

Breakfasts...

Food

That should actually add to my merits, not detract ... seen that I do the cooking, too... :D  :D  :D  

Ciao

• Haha 2

Wow! I've missed a lot in the past couple of weeks. This is looking absolutely gorgeous Tony and I'm trying desperately not to add any more slobber to your thread as it seems to be a little soggy already.

I found the 3d printing thing fairly easy to pick up using online tutorials. I got hold of a copy of Rhino and designed a set of shocks for the Airfix 1:12 Bentley which Shapeways printed. I had a few problems getting them to accept the files but am very pleased at how they turned out. I also did some 10mm wheels for WWI stuff, both have been selling ok on my Shapeways shop! However now I'm the other side of the globe I may need to look into one of these. Those bits look nice and smooth too, which Shapeways plastic isn't. 

Hmmm.....

Ian

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Wouldn't want any transient droop, now would we? 

That's just what Mrs Martian said only the other night!

Martian 👽

• Haha 10

12 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

There’s static droop, too; are you sure it wasn’t that?

No, I think it was something to do with brewers.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I think the only value changed here was 'layer height':

49177484122_1763e0e0ac_b.jpg

Well, there are almost twice as many settings there as there are in V1.5 - none of those settings on the right are incorporated in 1.5 though I don't suspect they alter the final outcome much

To the credit of the Chitubox chitterers - I sent them an email last night when I downloaded 1.6.1 and discovered it didn't work on my system.  This afternoon when I got home there was an email from the support team with a new .exe file.  Copied that into the root directory and everything worked as advertised - so far - I haven't actually printed anything yet.

I also downloaded 1.6.1 on my basement laptop - and it ran fine without having to stir in the new exe.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2019 at 11:06 AM, giemme said:

I want one :D I've been a good boy, I promise ...  :D 

We're going with a contemporary theme this year Giorgio if that suits?

Futurama-Xmas-Santa.png

On 12/6/2019 at 11:39 AM, perdu said:

I don't believe him

I've seen his lunches

Breakfasts...

Food

:rofl:

Well Bill, they do say if you want to get to know someone, sit down to eat with them! 🍽️

Or is that 'if you want to get to gnaw someone, sit down to eat them'?  (It's a while since I read any anthropology and it shows....)

On 12/6/2019 at 12:47 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

And at all times keep an eye on your Nr.   Wouldn't want any transient droop, now would we? 

I added a laugh emoji along with the others so that no-one would clock I haven't a clue what that means!

On 12/6/2019 at 1:53 PM, limeypilot said:

Wow! I've missed a lot in the past couple of weeks. This is looking absolutely gorgeous Tony and I'm trying desperately not to add any more slobber to your thread as it seems to be a little soggy already.

I found the 3d printing thing fairly easy to pick up using online tutorials. I got hold of a copy of Rhino and designed a set of shocks for the Airfix 1:12 Bentley which Shapeways printed. I had a few problems getting them to accept the files but am very pleased at how they turned out. I also did some 10mm wheels for WWI stuff, both have been selling ok on my Shapeways shop! However now I'm the other side of the globe I may need to look into one of these. Those bits look nice and smooth too, which Shapeways plastic isn't. 

Hmmm.....

Thanks Ian!

Great to see you've been wading out into the 3D ocean as well! :nodding:

(Surprised that Shapeways stuff isn't as smooth tbh)

On 12/6/2019 at 2:00 PM, Martian Hale said:

That's just what Mrs Martian said only the other night!

All four of them were drooping?

18 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Bottom exposure time. F'nar!

(In my defence, it's Friday and it's been a busy week).

I'll have to Citizen's Arrest you another time then... :rofl2:

15 hours ago, hendie said:

To the credit of the Chitubox chitterers - I sent them an email last night when I downloaded 1.6.1 and discovered it didn't work on my system.  This afternoon when I got home there was an email from the support team with a new .exe file.  Copied that into the root directory and everything worked as advertised - so far - I haven't actually printed anything yet.

I also downloaded 1.6.1 on my basement laptop - and it ran fine without having to stir in the new exe.

I suspect that they themselves are on a learning curve with the software Alan, given how the product has taken off so suddenly.

Good omen that they were so responsive - Adobe lost that a long time ago.

Some people have had babies that grew up and started walking faster than this build has progressed, but I'm determined to get it finished this weekend.

Really, really determined.

But if you can believe it, I'm also scared about it finishing.

I know.

Silly right?

Oh well.

I knew today would be a fiddly start, largely consisting as it does of various engreeblifying and aerialating tasks. Particularly during the windscreen wiper passages I ran out of Anglo-Saxon and had to fall back on some guttural Goidelic Ur-curses.

This seemed to help.

Lots of this then this morning:

49182008853_a393bdd79c_c.jpg

Gator's Grip some bits.

Leave on warm stove to cure.

Pet a rotating cast of cats.

Back to bench for more gluing.

In other times this would have been characterized as a religious ritual no doubt...

Corrected Cheetah repainted without any overspray (thankfully I saved all the surrounds of the masks frot painting the fuselage roundels and one of these provided good cover:

49182709367_27a3f77686_c.jpg

Pitot on:

49182504236_8d936e77a6_c.jpg

Then it was time to confront the Jules Verne reality of the windscreen wiper components.

I'd ditched my original plan of using annealed thin brass rod to form the flexible drive shaft that provides motive power for them as too impractical at this scale. Truth be told the priority here was accuracy  - rather than strength - as they are a prominent feature of the aircraft, yet one which sits on the upper surface of the nose with no risk of gravity letting them drop off:

49182008798_87487af4bc_c.jpg

There was some minor bending required to angle the wiper blades back to meet the plane of the windscreen but aside from the fiddliness of trying to get everything held in place long enough for the glue to start to firm up, this seemed an effective enough operation. Just don't ask me how many times I dropped the port wiper engine and had to go groping for it in the Styigan recesses under the bench...

The flexible stalk is made from 0.4mm coated wire that proved far more effective at being shaped than the rod would have done. The hole in the top of the nose forward of the wipers is for the bead sight, which had been added (from0.3mm brass rod) but I forgot to take a shot of:

49182504221_82a9588c93_c.jpg

Nestled away in the gun embayment you can see that a Browning barrel has been added now as well.

The replacement stbd aileron hinge, along with the upper control lever/mass balance now in place:

49182008808_a640ca69c7_c.jpg

The latter I'd made about a mm too tall so had to grind down before installing. Both sides went on without a fight.

Aerials:

49182709372_9cbd201a8d_c.jpg

And that  - as someone once said - brings us up to now:

49182567136_432c329b43_c.jpg

Leaving that there for a few hours the glue to cure before wicking some more GG around the interfaces of today's additions. Rudder and cabin door I'll add on right at the end.

All of today's pieces will either need painting or touching up, so have put aside a few hours to camo those in to match the aircraft tomorrow - an ingtense bit of concentration today and don't trust my powers to handle delicate painting all in the one session.

If that works out then and RFI during the week: there's some beautiful winter lights here at the moment and as I prefer to shoot the RFI in daylight these days, am going to wait for the right moment. Luckily I'm writing out research stuff and assessments from home all week so should be able to keep an eye on the shifting sun.

I forget to mention previously that I'd used the Mr.Metal Primer brushed on to the windscreen and turret framing and how well-behave it was - really nice stuff to use and even on the metal foil, had a good 'bite' into the surface to give a stable foundation for painting on. Must find out if you can airbrush it. :hmmm:

You've been a most patient lot over the course of this endeavour.

Nearly home now.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

So close…

You're a brave man, as others have said, leaving her on the stove - do the cats ever jump up there? :worry:

Lovely, lovely wipers :) 

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Lots of this then this morning:

49182008853_a393bdd79c_c.jpg

Gator's Grip some bits.

Gators grip is good for gluing cats to rugs ?    Good to know, thanks!

Lovely engreebling going on there Tony. Wipers look very swishy

• Haha 3

Don't know how I've missed this one so far.  I'd like to do something similar.  This is an amazing story (I remember the William Woollard series, I would have been about 11 at the time and it was essential viewing for me and my dad.  Very nice introduction btw.  Dark days with no one knowing what the future would hold except that it wouldn't be pleasant, even if it went our way.  At about that time my grandma was seeing my grandpa off on the train on his long journey to North Africa, not to return until 1945.  But at least he did return. :poppy:    My mum was four months old when he left.

Spoiler

• Like 2

19 hours ago, hendie said:

Well, there are almost twice as many settings there as there are in V1.5 - none of those settings on the right are incorporated in 1.5 though I don't suspect they alter the final outcome much

Μου φαίνονται όλα ελληνικά

Ian

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, giemme said:

You're not going to cook Annie on that stove, right?

7 hours ago, limeypilot said:

You're a far, far, braver man than I for leaving her sitting on top of a stove!

16 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Did it melt later? 

Nah ,we're good chaps.

That trivet thing is also my drying station in the cold weather! (It's an excellent heat sink so anything put on it never gets more than touch-warm - if you know what I mean.)

7 hours ago, CedB said:

You're a brave man, as others have said, leaving her on the stove - do the cats ever jump up there?

That's the joy of the situation Ced - the top of the stove itself is too hot for their paws so keeps them at bay from whatever's up there!

5 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Don't know how I've missed this one so far.  I'd like to do something similar.  This is an amazing story (I remember the William Woollard series, I would have been about 11 at the time and it was essential viewing for me and my dad.  Very nice introduction btw.  Dark days with no one knowing what the future would hold except that it wouldn't be pleasant, even if it went our way.  At about that time my grandma was seeing my grandpa off on the train on his long journey to North Africa, not to return until 1945.  But at least he did return. :poppy:    My mum was four months old when he left.

Reveal hidden contents

Glad you've liked it Mr.Meatbox, and thanks for sharing the family backstory. :thumbsup2:

6 hours ago, hendie said:

Gators grip is good for gluing cats to rugs ?    Good to know, thanks!

That picture's actually taken looking up at the Anson suspended from the ceiling Ced-style!

The cat's been up there for a week now....

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Engreebling continues apace

And is becoming more wonderful, top job Tony

Thanks Bill: she's all prepped now for the final touchup of the paintwork tomorrow, then on with the props and done!

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Μου φαίνονται όλα ελληνικά

As it should be! :laugh:

maxresdefault.jpg

Talk to you tomorrow chaps.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 4

If you are that close to RFI, does this mean that we will miss out on you raising your styrene bat to all corners of the interwebs as you reach 100 pages?  The “nervous nineties” strike again?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4