Listening to the Solstice

A. I’ve said this before but I love the lighting in your pictures, Annie looks majestic and beautiful with the subtle light across her (and because of your fine modelling skill!)

B. How good is that for a first try! Wow! Nice work.

cheers

Rob 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

At this point there could even be an RFI by next week.

Did I really just say that after 18 months?

:frantic:  :frantic:

Can't wait to see that, Tony! :thumbsup:

Annie looking just fine with engines in place and all. I'm gonna have to pour more saliva on the thread.... :Tasty: :shrug: :D

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Tony this is looking fantastic. Those prints are almost good enough to eat.

Interesting fact Hendie. Reminds me of a far off time a long time ago in a distant galaxy when I was a coach building apprentice. At college we used to have to work out the tilt angle of buses (different types etc) via height and centre of gravity and weight etc. They are surprisingly stable. Never thought I'd come across it again. The wonders of Britmodeller and Tony's build threads eh.

On 12/1/2019 at 4:26 PM, hendie said:

That photo reminded me of my time designing buses at Alexanders nightmare in Falkirk.  They used to tilt test the buses when the design changed.  The seats were loaded up with lead weights to simulate a passenger load, and there was a tilting floor - I think the only one of its kind in the UK at that time (?).  Over the space of a few minutes the double decker was tilted to ensure the center of gravity was acceptable. If I remember correctly the ALX series could get to somewhere around 42° - 45° without tipping over

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Tony for the absolute pleasure of seeing both engines sitting there, as momentous an occasion for me as for no doubt, the rest of this merry band

It warrants,yes it does, another W O W !

Take a bow

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been kept away from the forum for a couple of days and look what happens - 3D print AND Anson perfection!

Great stuff Tony, have a shake of superlatives on me :D 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

it'll be like saying goodbye to an old friend when this is over. 

but old friends can be replaced with new, even more exciting and thrill seeking friends - can't wait to see the next build unfold

though I'll still keep enjoying this one as long as it lasts - that last batch of photos was astounding

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Splendid magnificence, it's the only word to describe this build. Ah, there's two there.......🤔

Eagerly awaiting the RFI, and of course the next build. And I do believe there may be two there as well if memory serves me well.

Terry

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Ha! Nice try Benedikt. 😁 I'm afraid nothing will tempt me from the righteous path of trying to replicate a couple of Rolls Royce Avons over the next few weeks...

Was worth the try Tony😁. The Annie looks grand, gorgeous, etc..! Nothing more to say. So a Lightning or something at that era next?  Sadly I will have to go back in line for my next try:whistle:

Ps.: Maybe an interlude for christmas in 3D for your cats?

post2.jpg

Cheers Benedikt

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

An outstanding result using a multi media approach to create stunning detail resulting in the most accurate 1/72 model possible.

Did someone say it's from the old venerable Airfix offering?

Superb Tony looking forward to your watching you redesign and rebuild your Sea Vixen's

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, rob85 said:

A. I’ve said this before but I love the lighting in your pictures, Annie looks majestic and beautiful with the subtle light across her (and because of your fine modelling skill!)

B. How good is that for a first try! Wow! Nice work.

C. Generous to a fault Rob. :thanks:

23 hours ago, giemme said:

Annie looking just fine with engines in place and all. I'm gonna have to pour more saliva on the thread.... :Tasty:

:rofl2:

Dear Lord. I'll have to get the Navy in if this dribbling continues Giorgio!

giphy.gif

(I'm assuming that this clip isn't factually accurate regarding naval routine?)

22 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Tony this is looking fantastic. Those prints are almost good enough to eat.

Gracious of you Tomo. :thumbsup2:

Not sure about consuming the bally stuff but the Elegoo resin itself is surprisingly odour free - which I gather is not always the case with some of the 3D printers.

22 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

The wonders of Britmodeller and Tony's build threads eh.

Free associate or die! 😁

22 hours ago, perdu said:

Thank you Tony for the absolute pleasure of seeing both engines sitting there, as momentous an occasion for me as for no doubt, the rest of this merry band

It warrants,yes it does, another W O W !

Take a bow

You are most dearly welcome Bill and a pleasure to share with such knowledgable companions. :nodding:

22 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That is just magnificent.

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

You beat me to it Crisp, that is exactly what I was going to post!

Humble thanks friends.

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Great stuff Tony, have a shake of superlatives on me :D 

Will do Mr. B. :thanks:

19 hours ago, hendie said:

it'll be like saying goodbye to an old friend when this is over. 

The bench will seem most bare without that slender frame in attendance. :nodding: Such a pleasing aircraft for not adequately explainable reasons! 😁

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Splendid magnificence, it's the only word to describe this build. Ah, there's two there.......🤔

Eagerly awaiting the RFI, and of course the next build. And I do believe there may be two there as well if memory serves me well.

Most kind Terry and yes, it'll be a binary build next time so hours of fun watching me get the parts from two kits confused!

4 hours ago, bbudde said:

So a Lightning or something at that era next? 

Two Sea Vixens Benedikt!

4 hours ago, bbudde said:

Ps.: Maybe an interlude for christmas in 3D for your cats?

:laugh: That is frankly awesome. 'Game of Felines'!

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

I adopt my learned friend’s submissions and aver the same (altho’ I give him too much credit of course....)

* Crisp receives lawyer's bill for over-provision of credit, charged at hourly rate and including fee for drafting forum response.... :winkgrin:

57 minutes ago, Hamden said:

An outstanding result using a multi media approach to create stunning detail resulting in the most accurate 1/72 model possible.

Did someone say it's from the old venerable Airfix offering?

Superb Tony looking forward to your watching you redesign and rebuild your Sea Vixen's

Frightfully decent of you to say so Roger. :thumbsup2:

It's heartening to have given some longevity to this charming period kit and keep it in circulation for a bit longer.

I wonder how many unmade copies of it still remain? :hmmm:

Tiny step completed tonight getting the modification done to the front 'bell' of the port Cheetah:

49164914232_40c2dc8ea5_c.jpg

Spun in a deWalt hand drill and shaped with a Stanley blade held 'twixt finger and thumb.

Despite the seductions of freedee printing it will never imho replace the sheer animal satisfaction of turning something to shape by hand in this manner.

Fixed into place now in order to provide the required extension:

49164197548_b4a08ca6f2_c.jpg

Final shaping and blending to proceed in the next session and then lash some paint on.

Shifting spectral lights in the hall here in the mornings at the moment, pale winter sun through the leaves.

Creating a fluctuating camera obscura on the wall by the kitchen door, changing moment-by-moment as the earth rotates:

49157143692_f9815ca66f_c.jpg

Every house a Stonehenge to the sun.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 13

8 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Shifting spectral lights in the hall here in the mornings at the moment, pale winter sun through the leaves.

Creating a fluctuating camera obscura on the wall by the kitchen door, changing moment-by-moment as the earth rotates:

We're lately getting lovely dancing reflections on the kitchen wall off the birdbath on the patio as the low winter sun dips ever lower - been trying to get a photo but my camera isn't good enough (or more likely the idiot driving it isn't...!!)

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

As our windows face North , we don`t get any of these wonderful scenes.

The "Annie" looks great sir, can`t beat a bit of turning.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Catching up again Tony and what a transformation from last time I looked in. This really is a model of which many of us dream... well I do at least. The details over which you have spent so much time are simply wonderful and being brought together as they now are, they are even more remarkable. Your photographs probably do not do the model full justice, but they alone show a level of craftsmanship which I rarely see in any models.

I am really looking forwards to the RFI pictures and will keep a close eye out for them.

P

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2019 at 1:21 PM, TheBaron said:

49152856826_6974833af1_c.jpg

Tony - care to share what your print settings were for these?

I'm planning on running some parts this weekend and wondered what you were using for exposure times and layer height etc.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, hendie said:

I'm planning on running some parts this weekend and wondered what you were using for exposure times and layer height etc.

Here we go...... The newly inaugurated BM 3D printer elite are beginning to speak in code to each other.......:whistle:

• Haha 8

32 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Here we go...... The newly inaugurated BM 3D printer elite are beginning to speak in code to each other.......:whistle:

Steve “Impoverished Man of the People” Fritag, eh?  You can join this elite for about 20 minutes’ of your fees

• Haha 7

7 hours ago, hendie said:

what you were using for exposure times and layer height etc.

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

The newly inaugurated BM 3D printer elite are beginning to speak in code to each other.

It's easy to grasp Steve, once you get the hang of it ............... I reckon gas mark 3 (160 Fan oven) for about 3 mins, heading 025 degrees magnetic for half a pint, at around 80MHz. Squawk 7400 and remember with your layer height things go funny when you reach the inversion layer.

Terry

• Haha 8

On 12/3/2019 at 7:33 PM, keefr22 said:

We're lately getting lovely dancing reflections on the kitchen wall off the birdbath on the patio as the low winter sun dips ever lower - been trying to get a photo but my camera isn't good enough (or more likely the idiot driving it isn't...!!)

Time to retire the hood and tripod affair and get an Olympus Trip Keith? 😁

On 12/3/2019 at 7:51 PM, Spookytooth said:

As our windows face North , we don`t get any of these wonderful scenes.

You'll be perfectly placed for the lavish auroral displays of Climate Armageddon though Simon.

On 12/3/2019 at 8:55 PM, giemme said:

Most wonderful bit of scratch building

The satisfaction level was off the scale Giorgio. 😄 Funny how such a small part can seem so, well - pleasurable to get right.

On 12/3/2019 at 10:00 PM, pheonix said:

I am really looking forwards to the RFI pictures and will keep a close eye out for them.

Thanks P.

I managed to break an aileron hinge off last evening whilst repainting the front of the port Cheetah so need to head home tonight and gussy a new one up from some scrap brass. Luckily I've the design saved for the Silhouette cutter so can etch a replacement onto some thin sheet and cut out. If memory serves this is the third time I've had to build replacements due to my clumsy handling but at least I seem to get quicker at the fabrication each time around! 😄

What are you working on yourself these days if I may ask?

On 12/4/2019 at 12:12 AM, hendie said:

shades of FW Murnau creeping in there Tony

Can't beat a good bit of Expressionism in the morning I always say!

Beginning to think our Cabinet of Dr. Caligari bathroom motif may have been a bit overdone though, judging by the unearthly shrieks from visitors spending a penny.

I guess not everyone finds it easy to go being watched from the corner by a Zombie...

On 12/4/2019 at 12:52 AM, Martian Hale said:

didn't do it, I wasn't there! 

'No-one would have believed.....'

8 hours ago, hendie said:

Tony - care to share what your print settings were for these?

No sweat Alan- though I suspect you'll be sorely disappointed at how few adjustments I made to the defaults aside from setting up the printer to Elegoo from the output list.

I think the only value changed here was 'layer height':

49177484122_1763e0e0ac_b.jpg

Anti-aliasing @ 4:

49176780968_71e72ee6d8_b.jpg

Because of the thinness of the vane shapes I changed the contact diameter and depth at the top to about 0.12mm (default being 0.3 iirc) to avoid to many artefacts to trim off later:

49177270526_19972027fd_z.jpg

And that was it.

Like yourself still feeling my way around the tolerances but in general extraordinarily surprised at the level accessibility to be able to produce quality better than the vastly more expensive (and complicated to calibrate) filament jobs they have in the materials lab at work.

🤞for your weekend output - no doubt that it will prove another milestone.

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

Here we go...... The newly inaugurated BM 3D printer elite are beginning to speak in code to each other..

Somebody's not getting a personalized Nativity scene this year... :evil_laugh:

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Steve “Impoverished Man of the People” Fritag, eh?  You can join this elite for about 20 minutes’ of your fees

You can tell the ones that are going to  buy one next can't you? :whistle:

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

It's easy to grasp Steve, once you get the hang of it ............... I reckon gas mark 3 (160 Fan oven) for about 3 mins, heading 025 degrees magnetic for half a pint, at around 80MHz.

Thank Christ you didn't say 'oven-ready' Terry.

I would have had to have gone on Twitter to comment. :laugh:

Hopefully I'm coming out of the comical 'two-steps-forward-one-step-back' routine of the last couple of days. I mentioned above to Pheonix that I'd managed to ping to oblivion an aileron hinge that I'll have to replace and repaint later. In addition, in touching up one of the props I'd also managed to break off and lose the locating stub that I'd soldered previously onto the rear as an axle. That has had a new one added now , which serendipitously let me make it longer and stronger to match the modified engine. One interesting thing I noticed was that the Powerflux paste  I was using didn't do well soldering tube to the prop hub (which was modified salvaged from my box of watch innards) due presumably to being a different alloy of brass (?), but the liquid flux, although not perfect, was far more tenacious. Still learning when it comes to metal!

Aerials

Propellors

Rudder Pitot

Windscreen wipers.

Repeat after me: get these on and break nothing else in the process or the crowd'll become restive...

Coffee break over. Better get back to work and simulate a drone bee again.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Somebody's not getting a personalized Nativity scene this year... :evil_laugh:

I want one :D I've been a good boy, I promise ...  :D 

Ciao

• Haha 3