Listening to the Solstice

Thanks for all of your kind words chaps - time has been agin me of late so my apologies for not responding to you individually.

I did >finally< get some free time to look at turning Brown Beauty into Anne of Green Gables, starting with eyeballing the camouflage demarcations:

49000729613_5e886504d7_c.jpg

The main outlines for masking-off the extant brown areas were drawn out to scale in Illustrator and then sent across to the Silhouette and rearranged to avoid wasting lots of Washi sheet:

49000729808_e1dd06caac_c.jpg

Of course this kind of method is only good for generating a plan aspect but it is quick and relatively accurate and you can fill in the adjoning vertical sides of the fuselage freestyle with scraps of Washi left over from the cut:

49001477182_ce85927c7f_c.jpg

Looking through photos in the last update I'd noticed a nasty gouge behind the stabd fuel tank - hence the filler visible there in the shot above -  and a new hinge was added to the inboard port aileron side.

First up was some XF61 (dark green) streaked on in a random rectilinear fashion at low psi and quite diluted:

49000729643_fe2927e0c4_c.jpg

This is to give a slightly different (darker) underlying colour that will start to show through again when buffing this subsequent  XF81 (raf green) topcoat back later:

49001477242_54d504fc8f_c.jpg

A couple of mottled coats of that and then off with the masks:

49001273761_dcb3a10a01_c.jpg

I'd expected the paint to lift in those places where you can there was metal foil as I'd had the same issue previously on the Iron Chicken - it's just the price of using smooth unkeyed surfaces to build such surface detailing but is easily repainted later.

49001477272_8b3b41917c_c.jpg

You can see the disparity between brown (buffed) and green (fresh) appearances in the above shot: such differences would have horrified me not long ago but now that I come appreaciate that there's as much creative potential in reworking and buffing back to unite surfaces to give various textures as well as hues, I've come to enjoy this cumulative approach developing final 'looks'.

The rudder looks good in position, though unsurprisingly perhaps you can see that I've lost an outer stbd aileron hinge in removing the masking (good job I'm hetting quicker at making them...):

49001477382_bb3b2981d5_c.jpg

Snout!

49001477282_30e8632da5_c.jpg

A couple of the serial masks pulled away with the camo marking - not a problem and reassuring to see the crisp outlines the Oramask produces despite the dimunitive size of the letters and undulating surface:

49001273866_214fc31138_c.jpg

(that rudder needs some more brown too)

That's the state of play this evening and Annie'll sit like this curing for a few days before I can get back to her.

Another busy week looms (why does November always seem such a frantic time these days?) though this time away from home until next weekend working up in Dublin just round the corner from the Guinness Storehouse. I'm staying  in a rented apartment (cheaper than a hotel) so hopefully will be able to keep occupied of an evening with the Avon maintenance manual, working out some designs for building the engines on the forthcoming Sea Vixen build.

I want to have one of the Vixens with the panels off and engines fully visible so two complete Avons will be required. PE may be implied for certain details and in consequence one of these arrived in the post during the week:

49001502142_7f034c878b_c.jpg

Noxious chemicals and brass sheet in transit too...

CSI: Ireland

'Who broke the butter dish and ate all the butter?'

49001477417_c297131607_c.jpg

(Avoiding my gaze)

'It wasn't us - a strange cat must have come in during the night!'

49001273681_17f6708992_c.jpg

Weather warning here since 2pm yesterday.

Constant rain and louring stratus.

Off to read:

DarkRising1.jpg

and drink strong tea.

Take care me dears until next time.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 19

Oh well, some one else slipped on the butter dish then Tony?

Nice looking camo there sir.

As for the paint lifting, doesn`t happen to us all, frustratingly .

Yeah , high winds here too this afternoon, put off any spraying I had in mind.

Take it safe Tony.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

She’s looking lovely in her paint Tony! I know what you mean about the ‘working’ of the paint and taking layers off, re applying it, buffing the surface, it can be really satisfying when (if in my current case) finish comes together! I have no doubt your will do just that.

I used to be petrified of touching the paint once it was on, only ever focused on just it on the model as flat as possible! But actually part of the fun is working with it.

so your doing your own photo etch now? Good job your not modelling in the 1500-1600 you would have been burnt as a witch.... I bet you even weigh the same as a duck

Rob

p.s. weather is crap here too

• Haha 5

15 hours ago, TheBaron said:

It wasn't us - a strange cat must have come in during the night!'

49001273681_17f6708992_c.jpg

Are they not all looking at number 4 saying "it wasn't us - it was him (her), he (she) did it...!!)

Lovely looking paint already Tony, going to be absolutely stunning when finished!

Keith

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I read the bit about renting the apartment,  saw the bit about the Avon manual, caught the nail UV lamp out of the corner of my eye.  Then, before I could process that information my brain ran way ahead of me and I thought you'd had a career change and had visions of you traipsing around Dublins streets knocking on doors

201504_1021_fbefa.jpg

Annie's looking better with some slap on.  I'm really impressed with that serial marking though. Excellent stuff

• Haha 7

Great result with the paint, Tony. I must admit, I'm really looking forward to seeing the transparency masks off, but I'm sure we can all wait a little longer for that. Besides, I'll be Heathrow bound on Tuesday so won't be getting much done myself for a while! 

Ian

• Thanks 1

Camo a gogo!!!! Pity about the lifted paint but that’s an easy fix. Do you un tack the tape first? I must admit I haven’t had any lifts since I learned that trick. Have a great week. Don’t work too hard, you know what they say about Jack. 🙌

Johnny

• Haha 1

The Anson is coming along nicely although how you find the time with everything else going on in your life. I don't know. Marauding cats as well. Speaking of butter dishes. I need another too. Not cats. Broke when the dishwasher fell over, don't ask. A trip to Homestore and More is needed. 

I'd fancy a few days in an apartment in Dublin. Need a break from the kids. Not sure about the area around the Guinness Storehouse. I wouldn't be wandering the streets round there at night. Some right dodgy characters lurking in the shadows. 

Looking forward to the next installment. 

• Thanks 1

Hope you’re well Tony.

I just went back to See when this build started. Wowah! Time flies when you’re having fun eh. 🙃😀 I’d like to say you got your money’s worth but to be fair there isn’t much of the kit left. 🤓

All the best.

Johnny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2019 at 4:50 PM, giemme said:

Proper camo job there, Tony :clap: :clap:

And you are adding home brewed photoetch to your already vast set of skills :worthy:

Mille grazie Giorgio!

Still waiting on brass sheet (buying from Australia is cheaper than buying from Ireland - go figure!) but a couple of parcels arrived during the week whilst I was away - one of ferric chloride and sodium hydroxide, the other with some PCB printing transparency. Having seen Hendie and Steve banging out such gems from their alembics I've been itching to give it a go and reckon that fans for the Avon engines might be a useful learning exercise.

On 11/2/2019 at 5:02 PM, Vince1159 said:

"It wasn't us,we're watching the rugby".....

:rofl:

I've stopped believing them when they say that now Vince - that excuse has worn a bit thin...

On 11/2/2019 at 5:33 PM, Spookytooth said:

Yeah , high winds here too this afternoon, put off any spraying I had in mind.

Do you have to spray outside Simon?

On 11/2/2019 at 8:32 PM, bigbadbadge said:

I thought the wheelie bins were going to take off at one point. 

Last thing any postman wants is 633 Bin Squadron barrelling down the street at him!

On 11/2/2019 at 8:58 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Lovely camouflage old chap, and don't you be slipping around the corner to that terrible brewery there! They use the Liffey not Avon water.

Ta Pete. :thumbsup2:

Had to walk up the old cobbled backstreets between the brewery vat houses to get to work each morning:

49038051292_3dbaf31cbb_c.jpg

Wasn't until the second morning that dense moi cottoned-on to why this was called Crane Street... :facepalm:

On a rainy November morning you can feel such deserted streets crowded with ghosts...

On 11/2/2019 at 9:37 PM, rob85 said:

I know what you mean about the ‘working’ of the paint and taking layers off, re applying it, buffing the surface, it can be really satisfying when (if in my current case) finish comes together!

Exactement mon ami!

It's a tactile as well as a visual process ain't it?

On 11/3/2019 at 7:52 AM, keefr22 said:

Are they not all looking at number 4 saying "it wasn't us - it was him (her), he (she) did it...!!)

Lovely looking paint already Tony, going to be absolutely stunning when finished!

Ta Keith. :thumbsup2:

Butter wouldn't melt on their....no wait. it bloody did! 😹

On 11/3/2019 at 1:05 PM, hendie said:

I read the bit about renting the apartment,  saw the bit about the Avon manual, caught the nail UV lamp out of the corner of my eye.  Then, before I could process that information my brain ran way ahead of me and I thought you'd had a career change and had visions of you traipsing around Dublins streets knocking on doors

Busted!

My whole life has been a charade and now the tawdry truth is out for all to see....

:rofl:

On 11/3/2019 at 3:04 PM, limeypilot said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing the transparency masks off,

You and me both Ian. Nearly succumbed earlier in fact.

On 11/3/2019 at 3:04 PM, limeypilot said:

Besides, I'll be Heathrow bound on Tuesday so won't be getting much done myself for a while! 

Sorry I won't be at Telford to get to meet you this time but we will meet one day I'm sure. :nodding:

On 11/4/2019 at 10:11 PM, The Spadgent said:

Do you un tack the tape first?

I did Johnny but that foil is so shiny that it lifts so readily: I've since learned from @Ex-FAAWAFUs Ark build that there's stuff called Mr.Metal Primer that he uses on brass, so a pot of that has been ordered for next time to see if that helps. Not a jar of the stuff to be had this side of the Irish Sea and some nasty price gouging on Evilbay so had to order it in from Wonderland Models in Edinburgh.

On 11/4/2019 at 10:32 PM, pheonix said:

Paint? Did I really see paint?! That is looking very smart indeed - a major step towards completion. This looks better each time I drop by - moving towards a real winner. Looking forward to more progress.

Thanks Mr. P. :thumbsup2:

We seem to be on a asymptotic curve at the moment - the closer we approach the apex the slower progress gets...

On 11/4/2019 at 10:52 PM, noelh said:

I'd fancy a few days in an apartment in Dublin.

Noel: I stayed at the Aparthotel here on St. Augustine St and can recommend it highly:

https://goo.gl/maps/CxmvdHLfhesVed2h9

Clean, secure and cheaper than B&B. (Plus a good Burrito shop at the end of the street)

On 11/4/2019 at 10:52 PM, noelh said:

Not sure about the area around the Guinness Storehouse. I wouldn't be wandering the streets round there at night.

Exactly. Had a lurk meself in an alleyway off Thomas' St. eating a breakfast roll out of the rain but wouldn't dream of standing here after dark:

49038021592_e3591539ff_c.jpg

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

to be fair there isn’t much of the kit left

Most of the box is still intact! 😁

Well now.

Being the weekend of Telford this is likely positing on a ghost forum today but here goes! :laugh:

Returned now from a mad working week in Dublin. Despite having grown up in London as a teenager, living for the last two decades out in the sticks means you just crave a fix of city vibrancy sometimes don't you? The heady anonymity of the flâneur. As with all work-related trips, there's never sufficient time outside of obligations though to ramble and soak up sensation as much as you'd like. Also re-reading Mervyn Peake's Ghormenghast after several decades gave a particularly Steerpike feel to peregrinations.

Since a week has elapsed since any activity on here I was dying to get the bulk of the paint scheme nailed down today so headed in to touch up all those foil areas that paint had lifted from. After repriming, greens and browns were reapplied in all the required areas.

Handy thing about having the original designs stored in the Silhouette library was being able to cut some paper masks to hand hold in place when redoing the demarcations between colours:

49038019007_19a95276b5_c.jpg

After a decent interval for the paint to dry, I then set-to buffing the airframe all over with a calico rag head in the Dremel:

49037802251_c490c3c2e1_c.jpg

I like this combined polish-texturing process enormously as in this instance it really helps to pull the separate areas of camouflage together around the aircraft and offers an extra dimension in the way it catches the light.

The black primer/ dark blue acrylic combination on the underside are Night enough for me when similarly buffed:

49038018977_ee94489bd4_c.jpg

The difference in sheen also helps to pull out the foil detailing in areas like bomb traps and fairings:

49037802231_530e8bc880_c.jpg

Must remember to 're-exhaust manifold' the exhaust with some Alcald:

49037802186_5571d80b11_c.jpg

Chomping to pull the masking off the windows and stbd engine bearer:

49037300713_726ee25d24_c.jpg

Landing lights turned out ok wit hthe Oramask removed:

49038019072_4ca5ae235e_c.jpg

(Ughhhh. Just noticed that arc of overspray at junction of wing with engine nacelle...)

Quick test fit of the port aileron:

49038018967_6427d86235_c.jpg

As proof of the bonding strength of Gator's Grip, check out the outermost aileron hinge where I clumsily bent the brass whilst slipping the aileron into the opening - the bond with the wing hasn't moved at all.

Happy also with the way the revised foil detailing for both the engine nacelle and fuels tanks brings the surface relief to life under the light:

49038018962_b5a6a5566c_c.jpg

Anyway. This is how Annie sits now this evening:

49037802271_7107fb588a_c.jpg

Minor touch ups in one of two places but nothing heavy. Then it's time to cast attention on the national markings. Mask roundels already done of course but realized whilst away that I'd forgotten to cut any fin flashes so will need to get those designs done; hopefully tomorrow. 🤞

This could be ready for Christmas at this rate! 🤣

Wherever your weekend has taken you, may it bring you pleasure and peace of mind.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 20

Thanks for the link to the Aparthotel Tony. I showed it to the missus and she agreed it would be a good alternative to staying in a hotel. I've plenty of family in Dublin but landing my lot on them isn't always a good thing. 

Totally agree about getting that fix of big city vibrancy every now and then. While I live in Galway city it's too small to get that lost in the crowd feeling you get in my home town. 

As for the Anson making great progress. Luckily the Airfix big unveiling at Telford wasn't a brand new state of the art Annie. Although one must surely be on cards. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Being the weekend of Telford this is likely positing on a ghost forum today but here goes!

As Dr Frasier Crane used to say, Go ahead. I'm listening....

Nice camouflage and welcome back.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Do you have to spray outside Simon?

No, I don`t but the direction the wind is coming from can cause some problems.

I have a spray booth in the front room, next to the bench, so it`s a case of trying to keep the smell down to a minimum.

Nice save there sir.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hamden said:

That is absolutely stunning, very hard to believe this is from an old 1/72 Airfix kit!

Most kind Roger. :thumbsup2:

It is such a lovely old kit for many reasons that it's great to be able to give it some longevity.

5 hours ago, noelh said:

Luckily the Airfix big unveiling at Telford wasn't a brand new state of the art Annie. Although one must surely be on cards. 

A Vulcan I believe this year?

4 hours ago, giemme said:

love the texture you've achieved on the camo, can you please post a pic of the Dremel tool you've used for it?

Kind of you Giorgio. :thumbsup2:

The tool is one of these:

mtdcalicoL.jpg

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/5-calico-mop-mounted-metal-polishing-kit-dremel-rotary-tool-jewellery-mop/173983898170?hash=item28823f9a3a:g:J~gAAOSw5XJciRva

You can get denser felt ones (indeed I prefer those for polishing the brass) but they can easily melt the thin edges of plastic or rub off too much material. These calico ones by contrast are 'fluffier' and disperse over a wider surface when you're using them so less danger of damaging the plastic. Give a nice shine to transparencies also. I never use it above setting no.2 on the Dremel (however many rpm that is)...

4 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

As Dr Frasier Crane used to say, Go ahead. I'm listening....

Nice camouflage and welcome back.

Aah Frasier. Friday nights in front of the TV in the 90s after a VHS from the video shop. A pint of snakebite in one hand and a Golden Virginia rollie in the other... :laugh:

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I have a spray booth in the front room, next to the bench, so it`s a case of trying to keep the smell down to a minimum.

I understand Simon.

I've had an old extractor hood fan sitting under the bench for two years as I'll be making that extraction unit 'any day now'... :facepalm:

One day.

Cut some masks for the fin flashes earlier and hooked the red white and blues out to spray the roundels tomorrow.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

The tool is one of these:

Ah great, that's the same I have, just wanted to make sure :thumbsup: I normally use it to polish clear part, but during my current build I also used it to polish the whole model before priming - after reading about that on this thread, come to think of that

Ciao

• Like 2