Listening to the Solstice

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Almost as funny as Baldricks parsnip that was shaped just like a 'thingy'.

The odd thing being that I have a thingy shaped almost exactly like a parsnip but then I am a Martian so it's to be expected. Get well soon Tony.

Martian 👽

(Sorry but someone had to come out with that one)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Almost as funny as Baldricks parsnip that was shaped just like a 'thingy'.

:laugh:

Funny isn't it how persons of our age group regularly  have Blackadder and THGTTG as cultural touchstones.  Almost like we're members of a cult .

Life? Don't  talk to me about life....

12 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

So that's where the missing part of the blurglecruncheon went to. Hand it back you fiend!

Oooh me gobberwarts!

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Sorry to hear about the spins Tony - get well soon matey :) 

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooo crikey vertigo. Hope you are feeling better soon fella

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Get well soon, Tony

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Bad luck with the Vertigo again Tony. Really hope they get to the bottom of it soon. Take it easy!

Ta Ced, Chris, Giorgio, Terry: it's merely awkward rather than dire but limits activity to a slow Victorian heroine set of gliding movements around the house. Hopefully only for a few days or I'll need to invest in a crinoline dress and fan...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

48 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

The odd thing being that I have a thingy shaped almost exactly like a parsnip but then I am a Martian so it's to be expected. Get well soon Tony.

After that little revelation I feel a relapse coming on...

47 minutes ago, perdu said:

Hope you get well-er soon mate,  vertigo sounds atrocious

Annie however looks delightful

👍

Ta on both Bill. 

Might see about bringing her upstairs on a tray later with some sanding sticks and W&D to level out some of that lunar terrain blighting the wings.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Might see about bringing her upstairs on a tray later with some sanding sticks and W&D to level out some of that lunar terrain blighting the wings

New essential modelling aid, Barons for the use of......

Ikea Bed Tray £8

I'm sure that something more traditional - perhaps with a cushion stuck on the bottom of the tray and a nice floral tea towel - is also available.

One exists only to serve one's fellow modellers in their time of need don't ya know :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

As all above Tony. Have a good recovery soon. 

Btw.: Yes, the picture has something special. When I saw it in the catalogue as a little print, I knew, I wanted one in the big size. Strangely, I never got bored to look at it till now and often thought, how nice it would be to sit there at that little table in the morning sun with a mug of coffee. Very relaxing.

Cheers Benedikt

• Thanks 1

I hope the vertigo clears up very soon, Tony. However, thoughts of Martian's parsnip may well induce vertigo-like symptoms in all of us. Must concentrate on something else......

Ian

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Good plan but don't expect to do a lot if you are lazing about in your nest

Exactement mon frère. :thumbsup2:

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

New essential modelling aid, Barons for the use of......

Ikea Bed Tray £8

I'm sure that something more traditional - perhaps with a cushion stuck on the bottom of the tray and a nice floral tea towel - is also available.

One exists only to serve one's fellow modellers in their time of need don't ya know :)

Dear boy that was the modelling equivalent of both a bag of grapes and Lucozade! 😁

Unable to locate the Laura Ashley fabrics Steve so had to make do with the folding lap table:

20191016_123418

We've had that yoke for years and yet I can't for the life of me recollect where we got it from; guess you reach that stage of life where posessions assume a life entirely their own. The paranoid mind of Phil K. Dick would no doubt have constructed a story of how it was in fact a lander probe from an alien civilization (No - not that one. Stand down Irrascible of Poole...) sent to study Homo Modellicus in plain sight.

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

What the rest of the rabble said Tony - get well (very) soon...!

Cheers Keith. The kind words are I must confess a tonic as good as any medicine. :thanks:

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

A damn nuisance this Vertigo lark.

I had to laugh at the unintentional humour of that sentence Simon - the Vertigo Lark sounds like a songbird that would periodically crash to the ground in dizziness after swooping around too fast! 😄

(Thanks for the kind sentiments)

1 hour ago, bbudde said:

As all above Tony. Have a good recovery soon. 

Btw.: Yes, the picture has something special. When I saw it in the catalogue as a little print, I knew, I wanted one in the big size. Strangely, I never got bored to look at it till now and often thought, how nice it would be to sit there at that little table in the morning sun with a mug of coffee. Very relaxing.

Thanks Benedikt. :thumbsup2:

I know what you mean about images you'd like to reside in.

Part of me (the antisocial introvert side 😄) would like to live for several months in this ghost city just outside of Tehran:

2019-10-16_03-18-22

Built with Chinese loans it's almost entirely uninhabited.

A bit like those abandoned Soviet towns and bases in the polar regions, there's something silent and dreamlike and utterly compelling about them. As long as you had plenty of coffee of course ...

2 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I hope the vertigo clears up very soon, Tony. However, thoughts of Martian's parsnip may well induce vertigo-like symptoms in all of us. Must concentrate on something else......

Dammit Ian! You've now gone and made 'Martian's parsnip' a total earworm. :rofl2:

(Watch out for this term becoming a standard unit of reference on the forum from this point onwards...)

One has not been idle.

One has been diligent and spent a couple of happy hours planning, filing and sanding the (mainly wing and tailplane) surfaces. Horrible quality tablet camera pictures for which apologies:

IMG_0001

Suprisingly I only knocked off two of the aileron hinges, both of which were safely recovered and stored away.

IMG_0002

Aside from a quantity of excess epoxy (where I'd been overly careful about gluing the talplanes firmly into place after them originally snapping off) you can see I removed a lot from the undersides of the wings. This had to be done due to the thick crust of Halfords primer in places that left several hard-to-correct pits across the surfaces where it had flaked away.

Overall though she cleaned up rather nicely and after dabbing some PPP into a few strategic locations, we should be back on track to reprise those areas again.

Thanks for looking in. Appreciate it.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

would like to live for several months in this ghost city

Errrr, not for me for a day,

even not for a minute and "Schnaps" in raw amounts wouldn't help either for sure on that. No way!! Getting out of that would be my first devise very soon!

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

As long as you had plenty of coffee of course ...

And chips. And sausages. And bread. And custard. Man cannot live by coffee alone... :eat:

Keith

PS careful you don't go into a spin with that scalpel in hand... :yikes:

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nice bed-bound fettling Tony :) 

Now then, that bed tray. The first picture you posted does that wobbly thing when you scroll it… what's it called? You know, when you move the image and it goes all grey-shades on you? Darn it, if only we had a Cinematographer handy…

Vertigo inducing, spread it about :D 

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I'm sure I remember a band of that name from the early 80's too! 

They were very big on the punk allotment scene I seems to recall...

35 minutes ago, bbudde said:

No way!! Getting out of that would be my first devise very soon!

🤣

19 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

And chips. And sausages. And bread. And custard

On the same plate? Ye gods. Is that Welsh fusion cuisine?

10 minutes ago, CedB said:

Now then, that bed tray. The first picture you posted does that wobbly thing when you scroll it… what's it called? You know, when you move the image and it goes all grey-shades on you?

I think the thing you mean is called a Moiré pattern Ced. Yer woman Bridget was a divil for the stuff:

a8dd68b5c658b1665ea835acb87ede78.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Vertigo. Saves on the Whiskey. Just saying.

Get untilted soon. 

Ta Pete.

Oooooh <shudders> the whisky spins.

Nowt worse.

Been there. Spun that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Having gone round all the areas needing attention with PPP last night, I spent the morning propped up with the tray and going around every little detail with W&D that had steeped in water in order to level everything back off, and then a final going around with two grades of Micromesh.

Checking for any remaining troughs and pits against oblique daylight (La Belle Dame Sans Merci of examining lights):

48915477187_0372f1294f_c.jpg

Wings and tailplanes back to where you want them surface-wise at this scale.

As to the more uneven undersides, these took more time and observation that topsides but eventually they too were restored:

48915271786_895080a53d_c.jpg

The wing roots of the tailplanes in paricular had been in a ghastly state when seen under primer butI must say that PPP impresseth no end in its capacity to be smoothed and blurred across damaged surfaces. In the past, any issues I've had with it had been purely down to heavy-handedness on my part; in this instance a small strip of soaked W&D brushed lightly back and forth across all the various flat surfaces with barely any pressure applied to it gave eminently controllable results.

Enforced lying-around had also let me spend more time running a last visual check over photos for any outstanding details I might have overlooked. As a consequence I realized that a couple of First Aid panels needed adding just to the rear of the cabin door on the stbd side:

48915271806_5f9b6a81fb_c.jpg

Something I'd actually had on the snag list but forgotten were the guide rails that hold the sliding panel beneath the bomb-aimer's position in place:

48915271816_3b02434df6_c.jpg

Taped down here whilst the GG cures are some of the thinnest bits of brass rod I could find in a bundle of scrap that I bought from Poland yonks back and which is a treasure trove of offcuts for jobs like this: I'd guess that rod is about Ø 0.2-03mm. Those guide rails kind of blend into the fuselage towards the rear so I hope that they can be gently filed flush without either dislodging them or damaging the fuselage between them. Not tonight though.

All being well, if I can get that sorted we'll be ready to have another blast of primer by the weekend.

Have been thinking about the 'Night' underside as well and reading Nick Milman's colour notes indicating that particular paint to be a mixture of Carbon Black and Ultramarine. Rather than trying to simply mix a single colour before spraying, I might experiment with spraying blue on first and then darkening it with black afterwards in order to try and introduce a little of the hue/tone variety you catch glimpses of in some contemporary colour photography (with the usual caution about slavishly copying any reproduction errors likely introduced by 1940s colour film emulsion and subsequent print publication...). Another scan of Etienne du Plessis' excellent photo archive would seem apposite.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 9

Nice work Tony but, and I know you’re not going to like this, very soon you’re going to have to bite the bullet and paint it. 

Be brave my friend, you know you can do it :) 

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Have been thinking about the 'Night' underside

Apart from the obvious answer - "because I can, and it’s my model" - is there any reason for not going with an off-the-shelf pot of such paint? 

For most of my mini museum, I’ve been more than happy to go with what the trade provides, for consistency's sake if nothing else. 

• Like 1

Looking good Tony.

I’ll have to give in and try PPP again.

Seeing as most everyone else swears by it, the problem must lay with yours truly.

I’ve thought in the past that it dried too soft and was too easily dislodged.

I’ll have to forget previous attempts (I find forgetting stuff gets ever easier as each year passes) and have another go.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fritag said:

I’ve thought in the past that it dried too soft and was too easily dislodged.

It does. I’ve found the best way to use it is to apply it, then almost immediately (minute or two) use a damp finger or cotton bud to wipe it away again. The PPP stays in the nooks and crannies, especially things like wing root/fuselage joints. Sanding never seems to work for me, as you appear to have found.

• Like 3