Listening to the Solstice

Given the amount of butchery the model has undergone, there is a lot less remedial work than I would have expected. Looks good.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

48890475972_b5651f0a86_c.jpg

Aaargh that was close! :phew:

Strewth.....and breathe....!!

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

From the outside you'd scarcely know it's there:

48890514877_8fccf3c8d4_c.jpg

Even more magic!! My grandaughters would love that, they'd think it was a fairy door! 

Annie's looking great - after all the punishment she's lived through you might have expected a lot more tidying up after the first pass of primer!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Not bad at all considering the shear number of modifications that she was subject too.

I'd say that's a pretty good result!

I was always led to believe that the gates by English churches were there to keep the cattle/livestock out. The reason being that the best wood for bows was Yew, which is poisonous. It was therefore grown in churchyards and the gates put in!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Thanks 1

As other have said, a bit of remedial work and you're done with priming :clap:

At least we now know you are human, if it had turned out perfect straight away I'd have called for sorcery! :rofl:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Reckon you and the wife would enjoy the book Johnny. :nodding:

I just have to get it the won’t I. 🤗

Wonderful as darkness goes on. That underside is stunning. As it’s the rest, but I think the bottom is my favourite. 😀

Jont

• Thanks 1

Hello Tony, that looks very promising so far. I'm sure you handle the upcoming work without a problem.

Btw I' ve taken a photo of the picture Sorry about the flash in the middle. I try to make better one tomorrow in better daylight.

DSCN0001a_zpsv5nqujuv.jpg~original

https://s1164.photobucket.com/user/bbudde1/media/DSCN0001a_zpsv5nqujuv.jpg.html

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Not bad at all considering the shear number of modifications that she was subject too.

I was always led to believe that the gates by English churches were there to keep the cattle/livestock out. The reason being that the best wood for bows was Yew, which is poisonous. It was therefore grown in churchyards and the gates put in!

Ian

Yew also has relatively shallow roots, so was thought appropriate to be grown in the vicinity of graves

• Like 4

Words found...

Smooth, lovely, mostly faultless, very very nice :)

No I’m not talking about the Goldfinger lady.

(Somehow those words look wrong together)

Note that I have chosen to avoid commenting on Johnny’s preference. For now [snigger). 

• Haha 4

Absolutely stunning - and that is only with the primer!! The tidying up that you still have to do is truly minimal considering the number of changes made: a real tribute to your skill. But isn't it a b.....r when the primer reveals all that we didn't really want to see?

Yews are in churchyards because most (all?) churches are on pagan religious sites. The yew was the death tree in all European countries before the Christian era - it was sacred to Hecate in Greek mythology for example, (I could quote, but will not, many examples from other European mythologies)- and its continued association with death (ie in graveyards) is clearly a continuation of these very old belief systems. It is not poisonous to horses and cattle which can nibble the leaves. The seeds are very poisonous, but not the red fruit, which can be eaten if the seed is removed first.

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, hendie said:

Annie's not half bad when she's all Gothed up.  You still have a lot of work ahead of you but nothing too outlandish - just lots of basic elbow grease.

I'm with him over there.  I don't think I'd realised how small she was in 1/72 until I looked the piccie of you holding her Tony.  Makes it all the more mightily impressive :clap2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, pheonix said:

Absolutely stunning - and that is only with the primer!! The tidying up that you still have to do is truly minimal considering the number of changes made: a real tribute to your skill. But isn't it a b.....r when the primer reveals all that we didn't really want to see?

Yews are in churchyards because most (all?) churches are on pagan religious sites. The yew was the death tree in all European countries before the Christian era - it was sacred to Hecate in Greek mythology for example, (I could quote, but will not, many examples from other European mythologies)- and its continued association with death (ie in graveyards) is clearly a continuation of these very old belief systems. It is not poisonous to horses and cattle which can nibble the leaves. The seeds are very poisonous, but not the red fruit, which can be eaten if the seed is removed first.

P

My mum's rabbit (that she had as a kid) may disagree on that......😉

Ian

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Yew also has relatively shallow roots, 

Note to self: read people's posts more carefully. I thought you were talking about the Baron for a minute!

Muddled of Mars 👽

• Haha 8

On 10/13/2019 at 1:17 PM, hendie said:

- just lots of basic elbow grease.

I may attempt to defray becoming mired in my own grease by judicious use of Dremel attachments for certain tasks....

On 10/13/2019 at 1:41 PM, Spookytooth said:

A quick rub down with the old "Micro-Mesh" and she will be fine.

You make it sound so much more comforting put that way Simon! :thanks:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Martian Hale said:
On 10/13/2019 at 9:15 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Yew also has relatively shallow roots, 

Note to self: read people's posts more carefully. I thought you were talking about the Baron for a minute!

Muddled of Mars 👽

Yew's been down ere in Darset tew longggg...........🤣🤣

Well something like that anyway

Terry

• Haha 3

Blaggering freck if I ain't been laid up by vertigo again for the second time in two months. :sad: This time the sawbones reckons it might be migraine-related and am being packed off in the near future for a brain scan.

This is of course a mere precaution to check that there is in fact one present and not - as many of you have no doubt come to suspect - to ascertain whether or not I'm being cerebrally controlled by a small mannequin of Ken Dodd.

At least being laid abed today has let me spent time pricing houses on the Isle of Mull so that I can fantasize about retiring to the location of When Eight Bells Toll.

I harbour a love for the Western Highlands and Islands* partly from spending time near Rannoch Moor and Skye during college years and nearly ending up jacking in college altogether to work on a fishing boat out of Portree with a pal even more scundered on Glenmorangie than I was...

*Voydanoi extra:

nightmareman81.jpg

On 10/13/2019 at 1:47 PM, Martian Hale said:

Given the amount of butchery the model has undergone, there is a lot less remedial work than I would have expected. Looks good.

Kind of you Martian. Obrigado, as they say in the Porteguese quarter of Syrtis Major.

On 10/13/2019 at 2:11 PM, keefr22 said:

My grandaughters would love that, they'd think it was a fairy door! 

Aaawwww. That's really sweet Keith. ☺️

On 10/13/2019 at 2:51 PM, limeypilot said:

Most kind Ian. :thumbsup2: Typically I think she looks embarassingly crude in that condition....

On 10/13/2019 at 2:51 PM, limeypilot said:

I was always led to believe that the gates by English churches were there to keep the cattle/livestock out.

I'd read somewhere that the Victorians appropriated them as somewhere that coffins were means to have been laid the night before burial. As with folklore and music those boys and girls had a tendency to 'reboot' original sources to their own 19th sensibilities.

Of interest perhaps is the fact that Lychgate was also  the title of a book published by Lord Dowding (he of Fighter Command) in 1945, as he became increasingly obsessed with reincarnation and afterlife in his later years, in part due to the death of the young men under his command:

HD_101703781_01.jpg?v=1

I seem to recall first discovering the interesting afterlife to 'Stuffy' sympathetically told in the historian David Edgerton's excellent England & the Aeroplane. 

On 10/13/2019 at 3:08 PM, Terry1954 said:

Looking very good, twas time the ole girl set about applying her makeup!

'Tis nearly panto season after all! :laugh:

On 10/13/2019 at 3:21 PM, giemme said:

At least we now know you are human, if it had turned out perfect straight away I'd have called for sorcery!

All too human judging by the pits and troughs to be seen in some of those photos Giorgio!

On 10/13/2019 at 3:39 PM, The Spadgent said:

As it’s the rest, but I think the bottom is my favourite. 😀

Each to their own dear heart, each to their own.... :rofl:

On 10/13/2019 at 5:49 PM, bbudde said:

Btw I' ve taken a photo of the picture

Thanks Benedikt! The eye just gets pulled along the perspective of that cool colonnade doesn't it? :thumbsup2:

• Like 5

On 10/13/2019 at 7:22 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Stupid boy, Pike

:laugh:

I'm going to tell mum Uncle Arthur.

Here's a land-boat-missile launcher-mole type thing for you to Kreigerize old son:

IMG_20191015_151927

On 10/13/2019 at 7:37 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Absolutely great work, has it really been 15 months ? Crikey, doesn't time fly!

Six months of painting will just go by in an instant Chris - you watch! :winkgrin:

On 10/13/2019 at 9:15 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Yew also has relatively shallow roots, so was thought appropriate to be grown in the vicinity of graves

Interesting. I hadn't realized that. 

(This forum never ceases to surprise in matters such as tree lore).

On 10/13/2019 at 10:11 PM, CedB said:

Note that I have chosen to avoid commenting on Johnny’s preference. For now [snigger). 

Fixed that for you above Ced. :winkgrin:

On 10/13/2019 at 11:52 PM, pheonix said:

Yews are in churchyards because most (all?) churches are on pagan religious sites. The yew was the death tree in all European countries before the Christian era - it was sacred to Hecate in Greek mythology for example,

I need to get my Golden Bough out again and dust it off. 😄

On 10/14/2019 at 9:58 AM, Fritag said:

I don't think I'd realised how small she was in 1/72 until I looked the piccie of you holding her Tony

Thank Gawd nobody's twigged about the  3x life size hand I use in all these photos Steve. You can keep a secret can't you? I'd be mortified if the others knew...

On 10/14/2019 at 6:37 PM, Martian Hale said:

That raises more:

IMG_20191013_094522

than it answers...

• Haha 12

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

IMG_20191013_094522

than it answers...

So that's where the missing part of the blurglecruncheon went to. Hand it back you fiend!

Narked of Mars 👽

• Haha 4