Listening to the Solstice

6 hours ago, hendie said:
6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

whilst a beef variant of a Tamatar Gosht bubbles to fruition in the slow cooker:

48852817811_ac59fcdbcd_b.jpg

Looks nice and looks like my Pasta Bolognese.  Don't ask me how it was  and how it cooks ! The longer, the better obviously. So, say good night to all other things then (4h).  Several people said, it tasted like that or nearly like that and for the rest; Mmhh, maybe there were some italian on board! Don't tell Giorgio please!

Oh, for the Annie ????? Same as above, I think! (in beef or pasta) Don't matter!

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/6/2019 at 3:35 PM, limeypilot said:

kit blobs could be made to fit.

'Every good Battle deserves blobs...'

On 10/6/2019 at 3:36 PM, hendie said:

call me irresponsible with a chemistry set but shouldn't there be some form of light/lamp/candelabra in there ?

Covert ops H.

I can't tell you where the lamp is.

On 10/6/2019 at 3:36 PM, hendie said:

Must try that heated blade trick sometime.

On 10/6/2019 at 5:13 PM, giemme said:

Hot blade, there's an idea! Thanks for mentioning it,

Giorgio & hendie:

Always cut just outside the actual line you want, in order to allow for any 'lip curl' from the heated edges.

( I can't type 'lip curl' without seeing this bloke...)

intro-1545408833.jpg

On 10/6/2019 at 5:13 PM, giemme said:

I couldn't help but noticing that you often mentioned "coloring" and "painting" in your last post. Getting closer to the moment, aren't you?

:nodding: Exactement!

I've even purchased Nick Milman's exquisite 'MAP/RAF Colours 1939-45' from his blog to help keep me on the straight and narrow, especially with the Night underside....

23 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Tony I hope you are well  I am again sorry for not being around, but have been doing a couple of GBs and available time has not been on my side what with the house and work etc. 

No worries Chris. Always nice to hear from you sir and hope the GBs are going well. I just don't have time to keep up with what everyone's doing across the forum these days myself!

20 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

What time is supper?

I'm afraid you missed it Simon but given the spectacle of Famille Baron at the trough, you've been spared the worst....

20 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

He finesses his advanced brass origami by balancing it on a passing hard drive.  

Nothing's too good for this crowd Crisp! :laugh:

(Actually it's 2Tb Seagate that I salvaged from an old LaCie external drive thinking that it was just a dead circuit board and I could use the drive in a SATA caddy. Of course the drive itself then decided to start that 'tick of infinite death' every time it spooled up and was in turn u/s. Luckily I've recently discovered the 'Adverts.ie' app and found someone 20 mins away selling identical drives salvaged from a server farm that were dirt cheap.)

19 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I’m getting hungry and I’ve eaten soo much.

If it's Mexican, Indian, or Middle Eastern food Johnny, the appetite of my family would shame a Viking feast so I know exactly what you mean.

Just had Romy Gill's:

arrive last week as - despite appearance to the contrary - we've cut back heavily on meat consumption since the start of the year.

19 hours ago, bbudde said:

The longer, the better obviously.

Absolutely right Benedikt - I don't know what kind of half-life we used to lead here before discovering the pleasures of the slow cooker.

Working through lunch let me knock-off work early and attend to the handful of remaining tasks from the snag list.

With the Aeroclub canopy safely re-attached using GG, there was still a slight trough between it and the fuselage arounf the front of the windshield, so this was masked off and some Milliput added and shaped with some water and sculpting tools:

48859978121_3b9f8ef37c_c.jpg

Once dried this will have a going over with the W&D:

48859978136_935ed625f4_c.jpg

There is of course some side framing for the sliding windows to add on either side but prudence dictates this is added at the end after the main painting is done as it will be too fragile to withstand distracted handling whilst airbrushing all around the place.

The fuel tank covers had some of their prominent rivet lines added, along with the resin 'pips' for the tiny teardrop fairing that site outboard of the access panels:

48859865118_ede3cb3753_c.jpg

They're actually double rivet lines but I don't have a double-rivetter and at this scale I'm not chancing my arm any further down that rabbit hole.

(Please, nobody mention Archers. I will one day of course but there's enough to deal with here at this point! :laugh:)

And that is by-and-large the building work done now. Sill need to attach the aileron hinges to the wings (there bonding areas are so small that I don't want to risk excess glue-staining if attaching them after paint) and a number of items like windscreen wipers, sunshield &etc. but otherwise, only remaining task is to mask off the windows and get the primer out!

Oh, I've no doubt I'll still find the odd piece that needs to be added that I've forgotten about but as far as wholesale building goes, we're done.

48860173567_fbe0f06c58_c.jpg

Infernum diu.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 19

I wanted to give this a 😄 and a 👍 but couldn't so I'll do it this way! I'm sure that's not the way the saying went, but it'll do!

Another lovely atmospheric shot of Annie in all her nakedness. I never thought I'd say it, but I'm looking forward to seeing her "clothed" in primer!

Ian

• Thanks 1

In some odd way, I like that last shot of Annie. You should build another one to be painted and leave this as it is, it's so scruffy that it looks like a piece of sheer art (because that's what it essentially is)

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Just had Romy Gill's:

Ooooh is it good? 
I’ve gone plant based since January. I still eat our hens eggs and take honey but that’s pretty much it for meaty type stuff and Mrs S is totally veegy.

love the cover too.🤗

oh and something about paint? 😛

Johnny.

ps. Your work is as splendid as ever dear boy. 🙌

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

but as far as wholesale building goes, we're done.

Woohoo! I've moved my seat nearer the extractor fan in readiness. Bitte, mein Herren und Damen, Night Rauchen und stille! Oder Ost front fur sie!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Woohoo! I've moved my seat nearer the extractor fan in readiness. Bitte, mein Herren und Damen, Night Rauchen und stille! Oder Ost front fur sie!

Ost front ?? Are you bringing on some russian goaties ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Woohoo! I've moved my seat nearer the extractor fan in readiness.

According to his post above, that could be a very wise plan if Simon ( @Spookytooth ) is eating anywhere nearby! 

Ian 

• Haha 5

On 10/7/2019 at 5:58 PM, Heather Kay said:

Ooh! Getting exciting now!

On 10/7/2019 at 6:01 PM, limeypilot said:

I never thought I'd say it, but I'm looking forward to seeing her "clothed" in primer!

On 10/7/2019 at 6:13 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Ooooooo paint.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:08 PM, corsaircorp said:

Painting is on ?

On 10/7/2019 at 7:38 PM, Spookytooth said:

Paint? You mean you are going to paint this piece of beautiful mixed media sculpture.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:03 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Woohoo! I've moved my seat nearer the extractor fan in readiness.

Heather,Ian, Chris, Cc, Simon, Pete: thanks for the enthusiasm!

The end of the working week is insanely busy from Thurs onwards for me these days so didn't get round to tidying up the outstanding jobs until today, but tomorrow's motto is:

48886845897_d0abc47592_n.jpg

On 10/7/2019 at 7:59 PM, The Spadgent said:

Ooooh is it good? 

Yep.

We had the Sabut Matar with Piaz Parathaas tonight and it was most satisfying.

Mme gill says to use 1tsp of Kashmiri chili powder in the Sabut recipe but it felt  a bit much (and I err on the side of mega-spicy as a rule).

Can't wait to try the puddings and drinks! #FatBaron

Reckon you and the wife would enjoy the book Johnny. :nodding:

On 10/7/2019 at 8:03 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Bitte, mein Herren und Damen,

Thought we were going to get your notorious drag routine from Cabaret there for a minute Pete... 🤣

On 10/7/2019 at 7:13 PM, giemme said:

I like that last shot of Annie. You should build another one to be painted and leave this as it is, it's so scruffy that it looks like a piece of sheer art

An Arte Povera Anson? 😄 I share your feeling about it as an artefact G.

(It's gotten that battered it's almost archaeological!)

On 10/7/2019 at 8:08 PM, corsaircorp said:

I was buzy in our Dear tentacled one's garden

Setting up a party....

I'm sure he'll take to the new pond and ornamental Walrus in time Cc... :winkgrin:

Right.

Won't waste any time on idle chatter tonight as I know you're gagging for pigment but here's the last of the snag list sorted now:

More cuts to foil and Oramask:

48886293523_620db96be4_b.jpg

Then:

1. temporary parapet added to cockpit sills to enable masking tape to cover opening:

48886805287_deb2ef0ab9_c.jpg

2. Bomb traps (which I'd utterly forgotten about!) in place:

48886087618_6c242089b0_c.jpg

3. Foil framing to underside of bomb-aimer's window added along with nose and side window masking:

48886805297_dcc9b6c1b1_c.jpg

4. Aileron hinges glued into place:

48886805377_95043374fc_c.jpg

5. Aerils, control surfaces and props/undercarriage mounted for priming:

48886087628_c54f467c22_c.jpg

48886805352_70fa2ab5a9_c.jpg

48886625976_3278b58dfc_c.jpg

6. All masked up and ready to go:

48886087693_50e1fbbb0b_c.jpg

The sacrificial mask gun turret has been tacked into place temporarily with GG, side and roof windows all treated with Oramask.

Preferred brand of Alclad Black primer & microfiller all ready for the morning.

Turned into a beautiful afternoon here about 3pm today so made time to sit outside and just relish the breeze and photons. This thing:

48884655873_9f8c7a7d9f_c.jpg

I built it nearly a decade and half ago, in part as therapy during a prolonged bout of depression that laid me off of work for a period in my forties (allus had the black dog but that was a spectacularly bad 'un). The structure is based on a Lych gate (you know, those funny little arches you get at the entrance to so many English churchyard and which the Victorians loved to build as part of a reimagined medievalism). There's seats on either aide and a clematis has taken over the roof entirely so it's like snoozing under the roots of a great tree. When the spirits are low it's a healing refuge out in the garden to share with the various birds that roam in and around its foliage.

Bon nuit modellers.

More tomorrow.

Tony

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Ooooooh, the wait is killing me .... primer! primer! primer! 👐 👐 👐

So much so that I did prime my model, and I'm going to pre-shade it right now :)

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The plot at chez Pete so far - Filler, sand, Primer, filler, sand, primer, filler, sand, I need to apply more primer to my build now.

But....I'm off to the model show at Southwell tomorrow so primer may not happen. :sad:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Turned into a beautiful afternoon here about 3pm today so made time to sit outside and just relish the breeze and photons. This thing:

I built it nearly a decade and half ago, in part as therapy during a prolonged bout of depression that laid me off of work for a period in my forties (allus had the black dog but that was a spectacularly bad 'un). The structure is based on a Lych gate (you know, those funny little arches you get at the entrance to so many English churchyard and which the Victorians loved to build as part of a reimagined medievalism). There's seats on either aide and a clematis has taken over the roof entirely so it's like snoozing under the roots of a great tree. When the spirits are low it's a healing refuge out in the garden to share with the various birds that roam in and around its foliage.

Oh that looks beautiful!!! Not the Anson! (The Anson for sure forever) But this reminds me of some great artist. Don't know the name of him, but I will research it. I was  buying a poster at a gallery here in the 2008 and I didn't matter then, who it was there and whose really put a great picture now in 70x100 cm on the side wall towards the outside floor of my flat,  I have to stare on that daily, when I wake up.  A great picture everyday, I have to say!

Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, giemme said:

Ooooooh, the wait is killing me .... primer! primer! primer! 👐 👐 👐

I second that. It will show off all your lovely work so much better.

Martian 👽

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That is lovely Tony, does look like a wonderful place to pass the time...

Keith

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, giemme said:

primer! primer! primer!

Today's the day Giorgio! :laugh:

15 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Looks good from here Tony, all will be uniform in colour.

Cheers Simon. :thumbsup2:

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'm off to the model show at Southwell tomorrow

Hope you have a good day Pete.

Nottinghamshire? Another county I've yet to get to....

15 hours ago, perdu said:

I love that gateway to enlightenment Tony, but the darned thing is nigh on as big as my garden.

In fairness it was photographed using the classic 'estate-agent-wide-angle-lens-make-the-room-look-bigger' camera setting Bill. :winkgrin:

From the outside you'd scarcely know it's there:

48890514877_8fccf3c8d4_c.jpg

14 hours ago, rob85 said:

I got back here before paint!

Right in at the wire Rob! :laugh:

14 hours ago, bbudde said:

I have to stare on that daily, when I wake up.  A great picture everyday, I have to say!

Sounds like a beguiling image Benedikt - let me know if you can dig out the artist's name. :thumbsup2:

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Lost for words… hopefully I'll find some when the primer's on

First coat going on Ced:

article-2063960-0EDF35F200000578-162_468

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

It will show off all your lovely work so much better.

And the flaws dear boy; and the flaws.... 😁

6 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

That is lovely Tony, does look like a wonderful place to pass the time...

Thanks Keith. :thumbsup2: Time actually seems to slow and stop within a few minutes of enclosure under the greenery. As long as there's no tractors or cars charging up the lane the loudest sound is often the wind and birdsong....

Last glimpse then today of Annie as nature intended:

48890293816_77f2ffdf9d_c.jpg

Annie goes Goth:

48890475762_674ba9b8ae_c.jpg

That's two (medium) coats of the Alclad @15psi as per the label and went on without a hitch.

Quick tour of the premises?

Starboard:

48890475962_a89fdd8e94_c.jpg

Port:

48890475977_07e41e6abc_c.jpg

The foil panelling and fairing all seems to have blended in nicely under the Alclad, though this is Annie fresh out of the booth without any Micromeshing/polishing so still somewhat grainy at present. Have to say that given the battering she's taken over the last 15 months (I know!), the airframe hasn't scrubbed up too badly.

The main areas needing further cosmetic attention are - entirely predictably perhaps due to the extensive rebuilding - the tailplanes:

Top:

48890476052_2fb60a079a_c.jpg

and bottom:

48890475992_5a8997c2dd_c.jpg

and the new nose section along the seams where the vacform joins the kit moulding:

48890294066_6e65f45e84_c.jpg

48890294061_d1b21894ee_c.jpg

Horrifying how much a combination of close-up photography and dark pigment turn your imagined perfection into a rugged landscape isn't it? 😄

Revised undersides look the part however:

48889763413_a87ace6275_c.jpg

The - now paper thin - port engine cover:

48890475777_20ea570400_c.jpg

Herbaceous border of mixed aerials, acutators, pitot, and windscreen wipers:

48889763263_d1b283fb6e_c.jpg

Rumblecarriage:

48889763348_236d48bebf_c.jpg

Ailerons:

48889763288_6062094a01_c.jpg

Rudder:

48890293871_3415854aa5_c.jpg

A wild white Goodies kitten leaps through the window over the top of Annie.:

48890475972_b5651f0a86_c.jpg

Aaargh that was close! :phew:

Quick fly around the room then before placing into a safe corner until later in the week:

48889763443_3275545695_c.jpg

Tidying up the nose and tail then and a squirt more primer are the next tasks before an overall polish.

The outlines left behind after spraying look strangely like the early stages of one of those wartime airbrushed posters encouraging the population to eat less aluminium or send spare carrots to the RAF:

48890475767_3bb2dbee1f_c.jpg

Primer facie evidence you might say. :facepalm:

*reaches for cloakroom ticket*

Tony

• Like 19

Annie's not half bad when she's all Gothed up.  You still have a lot of work ahead of you but nothing too outlandish - just lots of basic elbow grease.

I do like the shots looking up her nose - there's a sense of action there.

• Thanks 1