Listening to the Solstice

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

All the best for a quick recovery Tony.

Is that a French disease that makes you turn green?

Ian🧥

No, He's half Martian! Get well soon Tony.

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

Sorry to hear that Tony. All the best for you. Keep it going slowly up. If you body riots, you should hear to that! No need to rush on everything then. You're not doing a favour then. So keep it safe, I can tell you.  Will look here by chance for the next time, but irregular (don't like smartphones at all till now and I have to commute between Münster and my former hometown, where my mother is after an accident last week)

Cheers Benedikt

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2019 at 9:52 PM, keefr22 said:

Hope it clears up soon Tony, 'er indoors meds seemed to work quickly and the Doc prescribed some that she can take when she feels an attack coming on and they seem pretty effective too.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:09 PM, Terry1954 said:

Hope the medication and rest does the job.

Keith & Terry - my thanks to you both lads. The vertigo seems to have stemmed from a deep sinus infection that got embedded butafter 10 days on the antibiots am feeling resurrected. Made for a hard week at work but glad it's over now.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:31 PM, hendie said:

Well, if you're going to suffer from something, it's always more comforting if it's a bit weird, in a strange sort of way.

I know what you mean! I guess like many people there's this section of my consciousness that always sits to one side of an illness taking mental notes of all the shifts of consciousness and sensation involved. Even observing the feelings of pain, you're aware of just how many shades and gradations of intensity flow around the CNS.

On 9/9/2019 at 10:55 PM, pheonix said:

I hope that the medication does the trick and your world stops swimming so that you can get back to the important thing in life - modelling.

Back in modelling action today for the first time in what feels like ages Pheonix. Thanks for your thoughts.

On 9/9/2019 at 11:19 PM, CedB said:

Get well soon Tony

Kind of you Ced. :thanks:

On 9/9/2019 at 11:27 PM, The Spadgent said:

Terrible but it does go in a few weeks.

Your bedside manner Johnny. It's.....not overly reassuring...... 🤣

On 9/9/2019 at 11:27 PM, The Spadgent said:

Take care Tony.

Thanks. I've missed you all muchly. :nodding:

On 9/10/2019 at 7:17 AM, Fritag said:

the tension is building nicely for the Baron's comeback gig.

*crowdsurfs into the audience* :yahoo:

On 9/10/2019 at 7:17 AM, Fritag said:

One would expect an original and innovative approach to illness from the Baron wouldn't one?

If you're referring to my mental state Steve then I should point out that we are conversing on Britmodeller where it's the norm to have an origjnal and innovative relationship to reality....

On 9/10/2019 at 8:00 AM, giemme said:

Take care, Tony - you'll be fixed soon

Vasectomy? :shocked:

The doctor didn't mention that as part of the treatment Giorgio! 🏃‍♂️🆘

On 9/10/2019 at 11:27 AM, Hamden said:

Take care hoping your better soon

Cheers Roger. :thumbsup2:

On 9/10/2019 at 4:20 PM, limeypilot said:

Is that a French disease that makes you turn green?

:rofl2:

Nice one Ian.

On 9/10/2019 at 6:27 PM, Martian Hale said:

No, He's half Martian!

Father? is that you? :laugh:

On 9/10/2019 at 10:48 PM, bbudde said:

I have to commute between Münster and my former hometown, where my mother is after an accident last week

Hope your mum is doing ok Benedikt.

On 9/11/2019 at 12:45 PM, AdrianMF said:

Looking forward to seeing the Best Airfix Anson ever get across the finish line too.

Thanks Adrian. :thumbsup2:

Gosh. The pressure to perform is a terrible thing sometimes.... :laugh:

On 9/11/2019 at 1:15 PM, Spookytooth said:

I hope things are sorted soon sir.

All mended now Simon bar feeling a bit tireder than usual. Hope you're keeping well yourself mate.

Spent today out in the beautiful Autumn sunshine and zephyrs getting some physical therapy in the form of tidying up the vegetable patch part of the garden. We used to have a lot of raised beds but have had to bow to the inevitable lack of time we have for gardening these days and concentrate on just a greenhouse and polytunnel with a couple of herb beds thrown in for good measure. The greenhouse bricklaying all got finished and I managed to barrow in half the soil for the internal beds today. I'll top it off with compost from the two large heaps that we're going to relocate to a different part of the garden. The lads will have to erect the framework and install the glass for the greenhouse over their half-term (though they don't realize this yet) but it makes sense to fill the beds before this goes up. Making it seem like some kind of country mansion here but it's only a standard size for a site here in the W. of Ireland of half an acre. When we moved in in the early 2000s it was just a bare field of mud but now a decade and a half later, is a mature wildlife garden of fruit trees and native shrubs and relatively low-maintenance.

Seems yonks since any progress on Annie but didn't dare go near her with the old vectors rotating for fear of damaging something. Earlier this evening though I got cracking on some more detailing of the rudder. Here's where I pencilled in the rib sections in order to work out where the trim tab goes:

48732786777_c6cdd8524a_c.jpg

At this scale it isn't going to be a massively prominent detail so the tab outline was scored in lightly with a razor blade to keep the line thin. You can maybe discern in that rather disgracefully soft-focussed shot above a hole in both tab and rudder where the actuating arm and control line will go.

Being an expert in damaging existing structures during this detailing part of a build, I'd invested in a jeweller's ring vice for holding pieces like the rudder when working on them:

48732604086_a32b61beab_c.jpg

I'd seen them used in making rings and now find this indispensable for holding such awkward shapes without the danger of crushing fragile edges as a bench vice might. This one was only a few quid from Proops Bros. and hasn't lef tmy hand all evening, so useful is it.

Notches for the rudder hinges cut out:

48732604101_69b20771e5_c.jpg

I'll add some hinge detail into those recesses later from brass

For the trim tab control I added some 0.5mm tubing for the actuator:

48732604161_2e1e1f835c_c.jpg

- which was then cut to size and some EZ-line (fine) threaded through for the control cable:

48732278913_d5ac3d6244_c.jpg

In the next session I'll tension and glue that line into place before crimping the tubing vertically with pliers to give a flatter appearance to the actuator. The actual one is a kind of bracket affair but It would be pushing luck too far at this scale to try and cut a notch out of 0.5mm tubing to replicate this  - it would just buckle so this seems the best compromise.

Sorry it's nothing more dramatic to return with but it'll take a while to build up stamina again.

Hope your own builds are going well  - I'll put aside some time tomorrow to catch up with you all individually.

Nighty-night.

:bye:

Tony.

PS. Beautiful Harvest moonrise here last evening. The sky an amber sea:

48731469538_ec5fdcff6c_b.jpg

• Like 16

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Wonderful!

As is the work on the rudder!

Glad you're able to get back to working on Annie Tony, hope you're back to normal now (whatever normal is...!! :) )

Keith

• Thanks 1

Yes, he's back!

Glad to hear you're feeling better Tony and good work on the rudder bits :) 

Of course I had to look at Proops for the new tool but I resisted… I have one of those Universal holders and will try to remember to use that :shrug:

• Haha 2

Welcome back Tony

Straight back into interesting ideas on how to solve problems (the rudder trim) and tempting tools (the ring-vice - I'll have to check that out!)

Ian

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, hendie said:

looks like another useful gadget

Also lethal! (see below) 🤦‍♂️

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

hope you're back to normal now

I've long ago given up on the idea of normality Keith: there is only variety....

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That tube work with the Ez-Line chaser is impeccable.

Pity it's just a different memory now Johnny. Sorry tale follows....

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Of course I had to look at Proops for the new tool but I resisted

The Proops crowd are the modelling equivalent of a pub lock-in for me Ced. Seldom leave the site without it turning into a long session....

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Welcome back, Tony - and at full steam already!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Giorgio. Though the Fates have been at work this morning!

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

Welcome back Tony

Straight back into interesting ideas on how to solve problems (the rudder trim) and tempting tools (the ring-vice - I'll have to check that out!)

Thanks Ian. :thumbsup2:

I've also done a special demonstration in what not to do with the tool for the benefit of readers.... ‼️

The morning started with a fair wind for France as it were in that I had a decent plan for making the rudder hinges. These are small and nestle into recess in the rudder but not so much that their absence wouldn't detract from a sense of structural realism. At 1/72 they're too small and delicate to cut the shapes for and then mate successfully so as on many occasions in the past I cribbed from the elegant logic that @hendie brings to such engineering problems and initially fabricated these from larger pieces for steadiness and accuracy of assembly:

48736209023_4cd9b6d3c3_c.jpg

Basically I cut a couple of notches into 0.8mm tubing and then soldered some flattened 0.6mm tubing securely into place for the hinge pivots. Once cut down and fixed into place these provide a basic expression of structure for those notches in the rudder:

48736535316_ab9fd07a35_c.jpg

Most pleased with progress at that point I subconsciously decided to make finishing the rudder more challenging by promptly dropping the ring vice on to the floor from a height whilst trying to tension and glue the trim tab cables into alignment:

48736209043_4cbdab3531_c.jpg

As you can see it all hit the ground with all the inertia of a stick grenade and landed straight onto the trailing edge (the modelling equivalent of butter-side-down), the extra weight of the vice ensuring that this was comprehensively bashed flat. :swear:

Things could clearly have been worse if it had landed and knocked off all of the mass balance assembly for example but nonetheless this has set back plans today.

I've begun repairs with CA/flour along the  trailing edge:

48736717047_d090e5ce71_c.jpg

- and if mojo picks up later I may have at that with the Dremel and files. Scoring the trim tab outline into the CA/flour matrix might not be easy though, but we'll face that task when we come to it: another piece of research under the belt if nothing else.

Off to try and make the Sunday lunch now without dropping any of that on the floor.

Laters I will catch you.

Tony

• Sad 8

Just now, perdu said:

Well the minor oops does not detract from a brilliant piece of 'hingery'

agreed. When I first read of things like lethal, memory, and 'this morning started...'  I imagined a disaster of the utmost magnitude. 

What we have here folks is an opportunity to further refine the part in question and make it even more stunning than it was first time around

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Look on the bright side, at least it was in the vice, not on the Annie when dropped!

Onwards and upwards!

Ian

I'm sure the cats wouldn't object to Sunday lunch on the floor either!

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, perdu said:

Well the minor oops does not detract from a brilliant piece of 'hingery' Tony, real grey matter exercising as I live and breathe

Agreed 100%. Keep it up, Tony :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Well the minor oops

Is thankfully now a past disaster Bill.

You knew I wouldn't settle today until it was put right didn't you? 🛠️😁

4 hours ago, hendie said:

What we have here folks is an opportunity to further refine the part in question and make it even more stunning than it was first time around

Quite. That's what I meant to say of course H! 😊

'From tiny acorns do great butterflies emerge' as the genetically-modified saying goes...

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I'm sure the cats wouldn't object to Sunday lunch on the floor either!

Entered the kitchen after posting that last update Ian to find momma cat up on the worktop and poised to strike over the joint of smoked ham I'd been slow cooking for lunch overnight, whilst four of her offspring sat in a circle on the floor around her in expectation that Operation Joint Endeavour was about to commence.

Reckon 5 minutes later and it would have been five well-fed moggies, a very hungry Baron and some uncharitable expletives....

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Keep it up, Tony

Dear friend, how could one fail to with the unflagging encouragement at such times on this site. :thanks:

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Stay frosty kid.

The Iceman Cometh! :laugh:

Amazing how a good lunch and afternoon nap can put a different perspective on a Sunday afternoon. Been drizzling all day here and for the first day you see the tinge of Autumn in the birch leaves (which are usually the first of the trees in the garden to tell of summer's passing. Seemed like a good time to return to the site of the ealier crimes against construction and rectify matters:

48738298362_cc0d653dcb_c.jpg

Not a plectrum and electrical resistor but the repaired trailing edge of the rudder and a revised plan for the trim tab actuator. The flour/CA matrix hasn't failed me yet for repairs of that kind on thin cross sections and withstood sanding, scribing and drilling with fortitude. The decision to switch over from EZ line to a thin fuse wire was a confluence of factors relating to both the difficulty of threading the elasticated line through a 0.4mm opening as well as concerns over snapping it during painting later.

Once the actuator was glued into place:

48738117261_40b2f9e1f4_c.jpg

- the wire threaded through and pulled taught beautifully:

48738117281_49c4394082_c.jpg

Fixing the  forward ends of the wire tightly into place and at the required angles was accomplished by popping a drip of Rocket Hot into the hole in the rudder through which they thread and then keeping the excess pulled taught on either side with small pliers whilst the CA curred. A further blob of Rocket Max into the hole on either side to fill and strengthen and then a little work with a needle file to tidy away any excess glue around the cable runs:

48738117321_ba8bf576ff_c.jpg

Not an exact replica of the Anson trim actuator but to do so would mean having something so fragile that even in brass it would readily break when lightly brushed; this should however express the structure adequately when painted and viewed at this scale. In many photographs of Annie you barely notice it but that's never a reason for not trying in my book.

Rear aspect looks ok:

48737791198_a1e88eec15_c.jpg

- and with all the added brass gubbins for hinges and so forth, I'm calling the rudder finished at this point:

48737791203_8682a4c6a8_c.jpg

It's been safely tucked away in its own compartment in the bits box for the build now lest I cause any further damage prior to painting.

Always nice to end on a positive note.

Tony

• Like 15

On 9/14/2019 at 8:36 PM, TheBaron said:

Very beautiful. Love these kind of  pics and can imagine the sea sparkling "Bernsteinfarbend".  Good to have you back with more surperb micro modelling. Really keen to see it finished one day in all it's glory of a standard Airfix kit of my youth.

Btw to ease you more, if you don't mind. The place, there, where  I  posted you the liittle cementry photos from

10649643_10153182535429711_3931587005838

10996002_10153221603799711_4279677564808

19793_10153221610499711_3960684831834010

1484687_10153221607494711_20066472992814

11009889_10153182530749711_4260105496466

10429481_10153206965899711_6291441001500

10922665_10153221602974711_1469899713426

(Very late Autumn 2016 on two weekends)

Ps.:  My Mom is starting to feel better now. She tries to rant more than last week. So everthing is physically ok at the moment.

Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1