Listening to the Solstice

On 8/10/2019 at 9:32 PM, TheBaron said:

Didn't realize that  the back of the tablet was magnetic... :facepalm:

Now that's funny, but I bet for much of that hour, it didn't seem funny at all. I have been there, done that, finding lost items that were in fact right in front of me all along, just not exactly in a spot you would ever guess.

I also concur with others, making some longerons/stringers, what ever you want to call them. When I was a carpenter, my motto was beefier is always better. I would over engineer walls and cabinets, to handle much more than any expected load, just to err on the side of caution.

Beyond that, another awesome job with the silhouette, something to aim for in the future. Can you use that to make masks as well? Seems like a great way to save on having to buy paint masks from the aftermarket world, when you can cut your own with repeatable results.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Like 2

Start of bench was delayed somewhat this morning:

IMG_1350

Myself and the kittens have had to come to an arrangement now that they get a few minutes' exploration time when they find me in the studio before I shoosh them out, otherwise I get no peace.

Whilst they were in clambering over everything I was idly throwing an eye over the Anson and noticed that at some point I've managed to knock the transparent nose section off at the front:

IMG_1353

Who knows at what point that went awol but there's not trace on the ground. Oh well. I have to drill another couple of holes anyway in the nose section so at least I can get that done and cleaned-out before adding a new nose back on - much later in the build so there's less chance of a repeat offence.

On 8/10/2019 at 2:49 PM, limeypilot said:

Ooh, more dark and moody photography! Actually the way you've lit it works really well!

It's just the main bench light Ian:

IMG_1383

It's an old lamp from a rostrum camera that I picked up when they were clearing out one of the studios at work last year. Being slightly more powerful than a standard desk lamp I find it not only fires a good circle of light over most of the bench but is great for holding parts up to at an angle in order to eyeball any surfaces for imperfections - of which there are usually many!

And as you say, gives a good strong light for photography (for which it was designed).

What guage sheet will you be using?

Experimented with both 0.36mm and 0.2mm Ian: in the end the 0.2mm sheet won hands down in both the surface detailing and flexing-into-curves categories (0.2mm on the right):

IMG_1354

If it's very thin, I might suggest gator grip as it won't melt the plastic. If you use plastic glue be very sparing!

Sage words. :nodding:

I did do a test to satisfy my curiosity as to whether TET would cause any rumples and crumples in the thin material and was pleasantly surprised to find that even in quite generous amounts, that I couldn't detect and deformation to the test surface:

IMG_1384

On 8/10/2019 at 2:58 PM, Spookytooth said:

Seconded .

Enough surface area to help a bond.

On 8/10/2019 at 3:22 PM, hendie said:

you might want to consider adding some longerons between the ribs as well - it wouldn't hurt - just as a precaution

22 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm with Hendie, just to be sure....

I promptly went and did exactly that chaps -thanks for the nudge. :nodding:

IMG_1362

On 8/10/2019 at 3:25 PM, bbudde said:

Yes indeed. Four different ones together peaceful! You happy guy!  Cute ones.

By the way nice work on the Annie, esp. on the belly. Nice weekend to you.

Thanks on all counts Benedikt. :thumbsup2:

On 8/10/2019 at 3:30 PM, giemme said:

I'm sure someone already told you that, Tony, but you'd probably been better off scratchbuilding the whole aircraft rather than doing all this fixing

22 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

although @giemme does have a point about scratch building the whole aircraft!

:laugh: One day I'm gonna build that Parnall Peto I've promised myself Giorgio & Terry!

(Just have to find who ended up with all the plans from the Parnall company as the British aircraft industry went through a Byzantine series of mergers and acquisitions during the last century...)

On 8/10/2019 at 3:33 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

The Lanchester? in this weather? If you want something old but reliable, why not take the Moggie?

Oh I don't know. There's just something about the way that 'Lanchester Landaulette' trip off the tongue Pete. Like it might also have been a dance or a cocktail.

I know bugger all about cars tbh but considerably more about cocktails and the wild inebriated dancing they can give rise to...

23 hours ago, CedB said:

Nothing like a good ribbing I always say - great stuff Tony

Chars Ced.

Oofally naice of one to buck up the the old morale as handsomely as you do. 🧐

19 hours ago, hendie said:

Now when I think on it, technically they would be stringers, not longerons, wouldn't they?

Dash it all man. :laugh:

Lucky I can't tell a longeron from a stringer and simply put some 'in-between bits' in....

IMG_1369

1 hour ago, Stalker6Recon said:

When I was a carpenter, my motto was beefier is always better. I would over engineer walls and cabinets, to handle much more than any expected load, just to err on the side of caution.

I am with you in this direction Anthony. I once built a dog kennel that a family of four could have survived a nuclear winter in.

When the glaciers creep back down to cover the West of Ireland they will butt up against it and be stopped in their tracks...

1 hour ago, Stalker6Recon said:

Beyond that, another awesome job with the silhouette, something to aim for in the future. Can you use that to make masks as well? Seems like a great way to save on having to buy paint masks from the aftermarket world, when you can cut your own with repeatable results.

Making your own masks was exactly why I bought a Silhouette in the first place!  (at which it excels if you use Oramask)

Like so many tools, only once I'd got one to hand  did it become apparent that you could experiment with so many other tasks.

I think I've got the hang of using it to cut shapes from plastic now and have just ordered one of these from the States in order to be able to score designs into brass for similar ends.

They are a pricey item of course but if you're into a particular kind of modelling it gives an unparalleled scope and flexibility in a single item.

4 hours ago, Hamden said:

Like your fix for the underside of the fuselage fantastic craftsmanship real engineering solutions

Being surrounded by so much knowledge and expertise on here Roger is a great spur to action! :nodding:

Anyhoo.

I've nearly got the new profile to the belly finished now.

After making up a paper template on the aircraft I was able to transfer the dimensions into a design in Illustrator and thence across to the cutter to punch them out into styrene sheet:

IMG_1356

The main run tapering to the right is all a single length, the scored line a quarter of the way in from the left being where the removable front panel gets snapped-off to form a separate section with a defined edge. From 0.2mm sheet this design popped free with a couple of flexes and no cutting required.

Working out how many longerons...errr stringers....errr...stripes there are running down the underside:

IMG_1357

Pencilled on to the sheet and waiting for the Big Heavy Ballpoint of Destiny:

IMG_1359

@limeypilot I remain most grateful to you passing this technique on. Highly effective:

IMG_1370

Forward panel TETed into position and lashed down:

IMG_1372

And a few minutes later, the main rear section wiggled in and battened down:

IMG_1373

Anywhere that plastic panel met plastic fuselage I used TET;  for areas where there was Milliput on the fuselage I relied upon Gator's Grip for the bond:

IMG_1376

Expect it will need some PPP rubbed in along the seams in a few places just to smooth the interface, but that can wait for another day.

No chance of getting any more done today now. Tiny Kitten's found his way in and wants a cuddle:

IMG_1366

Another busy week beckons at work but good to have a hiatus to ponder the next moves eh?

Thanks for looking-in!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 21

Wow, that is absolutely stunning! What was the technique to add the ribs? Just pressure over the same lines from the other side? If so, the results are perfect, and such a simple solution to what could have been a much more complicated problem.

Speechless really,

Anthony

You're more than welcome Tony! I've picked up (read stolen) a few tips from your good self and others here so it's always nice to pay back. I forget where I picked the idea up, it could well have been from an article or book by the esteemed Harry Woodman.

@Stalker6Recon that's exactly right. I draw the lines on in pencil on the inside of the sheet to get them right , then go over them with a ballpoint pen, not too hard, but the pressure needed will depend on the thickness of the sheet. It will leave a nice ribbed effect on the other side. The lighter the pressure, the more subtle the ribbing. I've used it a lot for repairing seams or even totally "recovering" WWI models.

It looks to have worked very well here too!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 8/10/2019 at 2:32 PM, TheBaron said:

IMG_1332

Didn't realize that  the back of the tablet was magnetic... :facepalm:

That could be responsible for a nasty bit of deviation that, Navigators take note, or Observers in Crisp's case

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Working out how many longerons...errr stringers....errr...stripes there are running down the underside:

Even ribs maybe. Whatever they are, stunning results there Tony.

Terry

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

IMG_1350

Myself and the kittens have had to come to an arrangement now that they get a few minutes' exploration time…

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Whilst they were in clambering over everything I was idly throwing an eye over the Anson and noticed that at some point I've managed to knock the transparent nose section off at the front

Now then, I know you cat lovers… but aren't you, perhaps, taking the blame for the obvious?

I've emboldened the relevant words above :D 

Great work on the bottom Tony (fnaar!) - that ribbing looks amazing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 8/10/2019 at 9:11 AM, Stalker6Recon said:

So in the absence of any understanding, I will abstain from comment...

You haven’t really got the hang of this place yet, have you?  Depth of understanding is generally in inverse proportion to frequency of comment round here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Now then, I know you cat lovers… but aren't you, perhaps, taking the blame for the obvious?

I've emboldened the relevant words above :D 

I'm with you Ced, I particularly point the finger of blame at....

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

No chance of getting any more done today now. Tiny Kitten's found his way in and wants a cuddle:

IMG_1366

.... looks far too innocent.....

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Great work on the bottom Tony (fnaar!) - that ribbing looks amazing!

Couldn't put that better myself either, so I'll just plagarise you again Ced...!!

Keith

• Haha 6

Aaaaarrrghhh These kittens on the bench will make me crazy !!

Is Divine wind blowing in Ireland too ??

Great work at the lower parts of Annie....:whistle:

Sincerely.

CC 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, limeypilot said:

It looks to have worked very well here too!

That is almost an understatement. What a cool, effective way to do something that would otherwise be a total pain in the buttress! A perfect example of the old adage, "work smart, not hard". Thanks to both for the lesson!

Cheers,

Anthony

• Like 2

On 8/11/2019 at 4:54 PM, CedB said:

On 8/11/2019 at 9:18 PM, keefr22 said:

I'm with you Ced, I particularly point the finger of blame at....

Catman heard that.

giphy.gif

Your glassware is now forfeit. :winkgrin:

On 8/11/2019 at 6:33 PM, perdu said:

I think I should start a book, have you seen the Airfix tailwheel?

Looking fabulously awe-inspiring Tony

'Hide the tailwheel'

Isn't that a party game at the more risqué sort of social gathering?

(Glad you're enjoying progress Bill :thumbsup2:)

On 8/11/2019 at 6:41 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You haven’t really got the hang of this place yet, have you?  Depth of understanding is generally in inverse proportion to frequency of comment round here.

Are you sure you've never driven a black taxi in London Crisp....

On 8/11/2019 at 10:19 PM, corsaircorp said:

Is Divine wind blowing in Ireland too ??

Frequently.

It's a house with three men in it....

(Thanks for kind words CC :thumbsup2:)

On 8/12/2019 at 8:08 AM, Stalker6Recon said:

What a cool, effective way to do something that would otherwise be a total pain in the buttress!

You see why I hang around with these guys Anthony. They help make me get gooder at the makifying.

Right.

Quick update.

IMG_1385

Wrappings came off and pleasantly surprised to see that the new panels all held in place with only a single run of *slight* buckling along the rearmost station from the TET.

It doesn't look like I've really done a lot really does it?  This has been  one of those time-consuming and undramatic changes where you're trying to adequately capture the subtleties of form along the belly and have to keep looking at photos and making small changes before checking back again in a continuous cycle. Because the original kit moulding had a wrongly flattened underside it was important to not only get that tapering curvature done correctly (or rather, the curving backwards tapering curvature to follow the line of the fuselage, if you catch my drift) but to note that the belly also sits proud of the trailing edge of the wing roots rather than meeting it flush.

Both sets of concerns led me to trim off 1mm or so of the new panels about halfway along from the rear to reprofile the outline, and then use Milliput to start rounding the edges in keeping with this. We're kind of partway there in these shots:

IMG_1387

The buckling across that rearmost station looks ghastly here due to the strongly oblique light in the photo - in reality it's barely discernible though I will give it a rub of filler later on as it will be emphasized by any paint.

The front aspect doesn't look too bad at all even in this unfinished state:

IMG_1388

I'll let that Milliput cure tonight now and see if I need to add any more after some light sanding in the rear sections tomorrow.

Membership to Navy Wings arrived yesterday and shocked to see in the accompanying letter that the RN are letting go of the Historic Flight and and transferring their aircraft to the civil register. They start with your health services and your libraries, and then they come for your Stringbags....

Inspiring evening out at a gig last night too:

2019-08-13_11-46-05

Waiting for Richard Thompson to appear in the Town Hall Theatre, Galway. By the Gods that man has not lost his voice or playing ability in all the years. Magnificent.

Flaneuring around town before the gig with Mrs. B we chanced upon a small narrow grove tucked away running beside the river and this was the opposite bank:

2019-08-13_11-45-32

Amazing how many odd bits of old (19th C?) buildings get meshed into the modern urban environment - never noticed that Irish answer to a flak tower in the middle of town before. Quite hauntology....

:bye:

Tony

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Nice work on the belly Tony (fed up with commenting on your bottom) :) 

Looks like you had a good time before and at the concert. 

• Haha 5

....the RN are letting go of the Historic Flight and and transferring their aircraft to the civil register.

That apparently happened on April 1st. Unfortunately it wasn't the joke I first thought...

The front aspect doesn't look too bad at all even in this unfinished state:

IMG_1388

Doesn't look too bad? Looks flippin' marvellous to me!!

Hope we get some moody night shots of the finished article Tony, will suit the subject perfectly!

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's a state of the art ribbing Tony !!

Look really great !!

Irish Flaktower ?? Pretty funny indeed !

I really enjoyed Galway, one day, I'll look back for my piccies...

Can't wait to see the painting started !! 

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That apparently happened on April 1st. Unfortunately it wasn't the joke I first thought...

Keith

that make me sad too !!

It's incredible.. I just hope that it is for a better... 

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2