Listening to the Solstice

8 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

Isn't this exactly how every zombie movie starts?

:rofl And the odd - very odd - romcom...

8 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

As for the Silhouette, first you need a computer (don't have one)

Sensible man Anthony! :)

I started an abacus habit age 7 and by age was 15 was doing two or three pocket calculators a week.

I thought it could be kept under control as an adult and all was indeed fine until joining the forum - too late did I realize it was the tool equivalent of an opium den.

Days pass infintely slowly now in a haze of solder smoke and the non-modelling world is but a faint echo upon the horizon...

• Haha 10

13 hours ago, TheBaron said:

tool equivalent of an opium den.

Now that is the funniest post of the month, and I won't be able to get that out of my head until the first handful of dirt is thrown upon my metal sled, as I rocket into the afterlife. I just hope they don't forget to fuel her up before they bury me😁!

Cheers,

Anthony

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Stalker6Recon said:

until the first handful of dirt is thrown upon my metal sled, as I rocket into the afterlife. I just hope they don't forget to fuel her up before they bury me😁!

Cheers,

Anthony

" No, really Vicar. All you have to do is light the blue touch paper and stand well back"..........

Ian

• Haha 3

On 8/4/2019 at 4:05 PM, TheBaron said:

You should see what passes for transportation planning here Benedikt. It's largely a matter of faith and fatalism....

I'm just wondering why they have built two beltways in Anröchte (where I grew up) and in Erwitte none, which was and is really in dire need of one till now!

Apropos in dire: The plants are ugly, but they warmed me more than once on rides back from my friends then there on my Mofa (Motoriertes Fahrrad; A Honda PX with E-and Kickstarter). More than 2°C difference in the night upon/ to the surrounding fields and Dire Straits was  one of my favourites then for sure:

Another angle and full concert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amw7L3H6ft8

Cheers

Ps: Nice bubbles

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

I've got Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse's fishing series burbling in a separate browser window so this might ramble a bit like them, sitting as they are beside an Essex lake.

Bob has pulled out a crossbow. Paul looks alarmed.

On 8/6/2019 at 9:54 AM, Stalker6Recon said:

I won't be able to get that out of my head until the first handful of dirt is thrown upon my metal sled, as I rocket into the afterlife. I just hope they don't forget to fuel her up before they bury me

You're not in the Church of Hawkwind are you by any chance Anthony? :hmmm::laugh:

On 8/6/2019 at 8:34 PM, bbudde said:

More than 2°C difference in the night upon/ to the surrounding fields

Interesting the extent of these industrial microclimates sometimes Benedikt. My father-in-law used to work in a power station on the Shannon where the waste water outflow was several degrees above that of the river and created an oasis for humongous trout.

This in turn attracted humungous men from the UK who would sit all day staring grimly into the depths.

They would spend about a week doing this before heading back home to presumably tell everyone how different the water in Ireland looked.

I may be misjudging them of course. They could have been philosophers.

A busy week prepping stuff for work - learning some new software, swearing at my poor housekeeping of archived files and ate lots of bacon sandwiches at the desk. Too distracted as a consequence most of the time to trust myself switching over to the bench for anything involving focus and observation but did eventually in  the last couple of days get round to remedying the missing blisters at the wing roots:

IMG_1318

The Milliput performed at it's usual magnificent best: after blocking-out the main shapes with a wet scalpel, the sweep of the teardrop was rounded down with a paintbrush to incrementally brush out the necessary profile. Important to sweep both backwards and forwards when working on the curves of a tapering shape like this, otherwise you end up with too sharp a point at the rear apex:

IMG_1316

Update: Bob has now been successfully disarmed by Paul.

As I did on the fairings for the  Iron Chicken,tape was used here to produce a blank on the aircraft itself :

IMG_1320

- subsequently scanned-in to produce a master in the Silhouette cutter:

IMG_1321

Once you've got one side done it's a doddle to use the 'mirror' function to produce it's counterpart on the other side of the aircraft. Usually as well it takes one or two attempts to finesse the final outline due to transferring a 2d shape to mixed concave and convex surfaces. This isn't daunting to do - just needs patience with the sticky and fragile foil which also has a tendency to cling to your fingers and tear if you're too brusque with it.

First one on:

IMG_1325

Followed a few minutes later by its companion:

IMG_1330

I'd originally intended to remove the blisters temporarily prior to applying these fairings but had forgotten how nicely sometimes foil can conform to such shapes. The end result was I was able to cover them over and burnish the foil into place without any tears (in both senses of the word):

IMG_1322

Bob just caught a fish btw and is telling Paul how pleased he is. Paul's gone for a lie down as he seems a bit crestfallen by this development.

I tend to start right up at the leading edge when applying these foil details as this needs to be bang on in placement where it snugs-in around the root:

IMG_1326

The foil burnished in around the cabin door opening on the starboard side in manner that  I found inexplicably satisfying:

IMG_1323

I'd been rather dreading doing those regions but in the end they proved relatively straightforward - once you'd spent long enough staring at photos from various angles to get a visual map fixed in the noggin.

A few mental rehearsals during the week didn't hurt either.

Run out of photos now.

Good night.

God(s) Bless(ings).

:bye:

Tony

• Like 14

Bloomin' marvellous that is Tony, love it.

Are you using that expensive 'Bare Metal Foil' or have you found something more economical? Asking for a friend (ahem).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, hendie said:

great :wall:   you go and get us all excited then don't tell us what happened to the fish!

Oh.

They put it back hendie.

Forgot to mention that Bob also made Paul scrambled eggs for breakfast. Paul liked them, though pretended he didn't at first.

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Bloomin' marvellous that is Tony, love it.

Are you using that expensive 'Bare Metal Foil' or have you found something more economical? Asking for a friend (ahem).

Thanks Ced.

The tape is this Coralgraph stuff:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Coralgraph-Inc-Aluminium-Insulation-Adhesive/dp/B01HF3EF0U

Good strong adhesive, foil nice and thin - same roll has lasted me yonks. Much cheaper than BMF and just as good imho.

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Nice use of the foil there Tony, are you going to try a feint or a parry next? 🤣

I can't think of a worthy riposte to that.... ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

The tape is this Coralgraph stuff

Thanks Tony - I have something similar and will give it a go! :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Church of Hawkwind

Nope, I am from the snake wrangling clan. As we handle venomous snakes that only bite sinners, we are ALWAYS in need of new members, no member has lasted more than a month🤣. I have volunteered to be the snake manager, getting my snakes venom sacks removed, making me very pious indeed.

Now, back to being serious again. I was going to be clever and witty about the incredible foil work done to the wing roots, but for the life of me, I have absolutely no clue what/why you did that, or if the foil will make it to the finished model. So in the absence of any understanding, I will abstain from comment🙄🤐!

Nice photography though, very moody lighting!

Cheers,

Anthony

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, CedB said:

I have something similar and will give it a go!

That's the spirit Ced! :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

I have absolutely no clue what/why you did that

:rofl:

Not an unusual reaction in this thread Anthony. I sometimes wonder myself....

I did that foil detailing for the wing fairings as I removed the original kit surface moulding due to them being too exagarrated in term of the lips of the fairings and also the prominence of rivets. You can see in this Belgian Annie that the fairing is a prominent feature that needs to be represented, but also that it blends in to the surrounding surfaces rather more than the original moulding would have had it:

Anson-NA06-OT-ZCC-DBx_03.jpg

If I find my foil is still too graphic an outline after priming then it should be an easy enough job to run some PPP along the edge with finger.

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow Tony what great brasswork, the ailerons, hinges and balances look fantastic. Good luck with your building work and I hope you are feeling better now.

Most kind of you - as always - Chris. The concrete foundations have cure well but any further activity on hiatus due to constant rainy weather. :thumbsup2:

Hope you are keeping well yourself sir.

4 hours ago, Hamden said:

Superb work with the wing fairings, this is really coming together now!

Thanks Roger! (It would want to be given the build's been running for over a year now, I was horrified to realize again last evening....)

17 minutes ago, giemme said:

Agreed,

Glad you're enjoying developments Giorgio. :thumbsup2:

Spent an hour looking for my missing ruler this morning:

IMG_1332

Didn't realize that  the back of the tablet was magnetic... :facepalm:

Despite this level of idiocy things did get to move forward significantly in that I finally got round to planning out the ribs for the extended underside:

IMG_1334

Having marked out the necessary height of the ribs (subtracting the width of the card stock that will cover it) I then marked out the boundaries for the added pannelling with Washi tape:

IMG_1336

The region immediately behind the nose section is actually a removable ribbed panel (which you can see removed here):

a5b7af_7c2893990b9e4f08acd77d9e2b577cd5.

- whereas the rest of the belly seems to be an elongated run that I spilt into sections in the above drawing purely for the purpose of adding reinforcing ribs where the contour changes as it tapers toward the tail. Once I'd got the respective widths and heights organized it was over into Illustrator to get the rib profiles drawn out to scale:

Capture

These then got turned into another experiment on the Silhouette in terms of seeing how far I could get something that narrow and curved scored into (0.7mm) plasticard:

IMG_1338

Using the 'coverstock/heavy' setting and a standard Autoblade it turns out this works rather nicely and need only a light score a couple of times with a fresh scalpel blade to pop free:

IMG_1342

A lick of TET and these were added into their required locations:

IMG_1345

Looking at the comparative thinness of these ribs I decided as a precaution to beef them up with the scond set of ribs that I'd cut so that they would gives a larger surface area to attach the outer skin to later:

IMG_1349

They should be robust enough now.

A look at that the correct way up:

IMG_1348

As mentioned some time back I'm going to be using @limeypilots ballpoint scoring method for making the ribbed panels; need to mock up some paper templates first though before committing to plastic. Not this afternoon though as I'm running Mrs. B over to Birr to collect some work, which should be fun given that the local Facebook page is announcing that the wind has a few trees down around the area in the last few hours.

All four of the kittens in a rare shot in which they are not all simultaneously in motion wrecking the house:

2019-08-10_01-55-33

Found out the collective noun for them at this age is a 'kindle'.

'Maelstrom' would have been more apposite...

Better get the Ulster and driving goggles on and go crank up the Lanchester.

Take care 'til next time.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 14

Ooh, more dark and moody photography! Actually the way you've lit it works really well!

I think it was a good plan to double up the spars. What guage sheet will you be using? If it's very thin, I might suggest gator grip as it won't melt the plastic. If you use plastic glue be very sparing! Although I'm sure I don't need to tell you that . ...

Ian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

I decided as a precaution to beef them up with the scond set of ribs that I'd cut so that they would gives a larger surface area to attach the outer skin to later:

you might want to consider adding some longerons between the ribs as well - it wouldn't hurt - just as a precaution

lovely work and beautiful kittens

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

All four of the kittens in a rare shot

Yes indeed. Four different ones together peaceful! You happy guy!  Cute ones.

By the way nice work on the Annie, esp. on the belly. Nice weekend to you.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sure someone already told you that, Tony, but you'd probably been better off scratchbuilding the whole aircraft rather than doing all this fixing ... :rofl: 

Kidding, lovely job :worthy:  :worthy: 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, hendie said:

you might want to consider adding some longerons between the ribs as well - it wouldn't hurt - just as a precaution

I'm with Hendie, just to be sure....

Seriously good work all round, although @giemme does have a point about scratch building the whole aircraft!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm with Hendie, just to be sure....

Seriously good work all round, although @giemme does have a point about scratch building the whole aircraft!

Terry

Now when I think on it, technically they would be stringers, not longerons, wouldn't they?

• Like 2