Listening to the Solstice

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Not the vestylookingweird thing

That was just disturbing, especially when I cogitated on where one might find such images. ;) :D

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, keefr22 said:

8. Paint the thing....!!

K

(the 'thing' looks marvellous b.t.w....!!)

Agreed. On both accounts :winkgrin: :clap:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

Nice vacforming/problem solving Tony.  Although I think getting it right first time is just setting the bar way too high!:D

I agree with that too... :)

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2019 at 6:15 PM, keefr22 said:

8. Paint the thing....!!

Once errr...this lot is done!

SNAG

List just seems to grow fractally Keith each time I look at the model and then at a photo and then back at the model...

On 7/19/2019 at 6:20 PM, perdu said:

Not the vestylookingweird thing

In the unlikely event I ever start a punk/folk crossover band Bill , Vestylookingweirdthing will have to be the name!

A Goldie Lookin Chain for our times...

On 7/19/2019 at 7:03 PM, limeypilot said:

Very ominous looking blackness. Time for a candle. a book, and a cognac maybe!

If only Frederick has heeded those words he'd have saved himself a whole lot of trouble....

On 7/19/2019 at 11:58 PM, stevehnz said:

That was just disturbing, especially when I cogitated on where one might find such images.

Stop cogitating Steve. You'll go blind.

On 7/20/2019 at 12:09 AM, CedB said:

Rained here too - hard. Bet it makes the grass grow… :raincloud:

Ditto that last part Ced . Dark and damp again today but better be sunny tomorrow as we've got the lads going out on the bog with a neighbour to help bring his turf home on the tractor.

On 7/20/2019 at 9:31 AM, giemme said:

Agreed. On both accounts

Now. If only I can channel your skills for painting it Giorgio!

On 7/20/2019 at 10:24 AM, Fritag said:

Nice vacforming/problem solving Tony.  Although I think getting it right first time is just setting the bar way too high!:D

Utter fluke dear boy and no doubt a big dollop of the good luck quotient used up in this instance!

Next vacform will doubtless turn out to resemble a waxen Victoria Beckham statue that's been kept in a badger's armpit for a week.

On 7/20/2019 at 12:57 PM, Spookytooth said:

Paint, what more do you want.

All this talk of paint is frankly premature Simon. It's not 2020 yet!

On 7/20/2019 at 1:52 PM, fatalbert said:

Amazing work,am just wondering how you are stopping the cabin from filling up with dust and shavings 😮

FAITH* baby.

*Fire

Airbrush

Into

The

Hole.

(The canopy and rear door are still open so you can it out blow from either end...)

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Surely you saw the bit where he built a miniature brass vacuum cleaner?

Or the brass vacuum cleaner. Obvs.....

(Didn't Ced actually buy some kind of miniature vacuum?)

I made a start on the ailerons, or more precisely the 3 sets of hinges for the top side each one. Method was as you can see to make up a design in the Silhoutte software and output onto some foil which was in turn stuck onto the thinnest brass I have as a template:

IMG_1210

These could then be trimmed out with nail scissors and filed into shape as you see in progress here:

IMG_1223

Still a bit more to do in that the the longer rear section of each needs to be folded in the PE folder longitudinally to make an 'L' in order to form the base plate to mount it in place on the aileron.

Mostly over the last couple of days though I've  been labouring on finishing the nose as it is such a prominent feature. This involved some close scrutiny and regular comparison with photographs:

IMG_1211

Not the easiest job to gauge curves accurately on a transparent surface where the transparent nature of the material itself makes it hard to assess the profile unless you turn it repeatedly under a very strong oblique light whilst sanding. Also worth noting that out there on the web are some variations in the nose cone, many having a curved 'lens' to the front window but equally some others having a flat one. Also I've seen two different variation in the size of the lower window at the front. In my case I've gone for a flat circular window and the more common larger lower window.

After staring at photos of a Mk.1 nose (for perhaps longer than is advisable for full mental health) is the fact that the underneath at the front does a 'dog-leg' inwards at the chin:

IMG_1213

The glue visible around the rear of that transparent panel isn't going to present a problem as it will be hidden by the metal panelling that holds the sliding door covering the window in the underside of the chin. It took me aged to get these matters sorted but as a consequence am now no longer afraid of sanding down transparent areas and repolishing to transparency again. I do still find Micromesh useful for getting the initial scratches out of such areas but now use a combination of these two heads, (along with that tan polishing compound you get with Dremel tools) giving as good a final lustre but the space of a minute:

IMG_1224

The front and side windows also have narrow frames around them.

Tricky to reproduce at 1/72 but I designed a set on the Silhouette that were just borderline in terms of 'cuttability' from foil (any thinner in cutting-width and you routinely get tearing). Once applied, I was childishly happy with the visual definition it gives to these regions front and side. The frame for the circular window used the same methodology:

IMG_1227

A lot of time spent toing and froing and cutting to get those right but happy now with the final visual effect:

IMG_1226

A lot of that underside view out through the nose will disappear once the sliding panel is in place of course:

IMG_1228

Why am I seeing Russian submarine conning towers below ?....... :rofl:

IMG_1229

Another benefit of using the Silhouette in such cases is being able to go back to the original designs used here and replicate the cut (using Oramask this time) to create any masks necessary for painting duties later on.

My bloody eyes hurt now. Kettle on I reckon....

:bye:

Tony

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Not quite sure what happened halfway through that post, but the result is the same - a spectacular nose job!

11 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

IMG_1211

Your nose is like a stream of bat's piddle!

(It was one of Whistler's!) It shines out when all around is dark!

Ian

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Kettle on I reckon....

White , two sugars please Tony.

Ah , the advantages of having software, and being able to use it too.

Nice work up front sir, and some good hinges also.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

I didn't know boiling your eyes could reduce pain. Y'learn summat new every day I guess

Method was as you can see to make up a design in the Silhoutte software and output onto some foil which was in turn stuck onto the thinnest brass I have as a template:

Have you thought of using an old blade to "cut" directly on the brass ?  Obviously, you won't actually cut the brass but it should leave a nice score of the profile.  Several passes on a thin sheet may just give enough of a groove to be able to snap off the unwanted brassness.

Trier Beware:  I am in no way responsible for the outcome of any equipment, pets, persons, or possessions (including abodes) involved in the execution of any of my ludicrous suggestions.

unless they're successful of course, in which case I'll take full credit.

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

(Didn't Ced actually buy some kind of miniature vacuum?)

Yes, but the pilots refused to use it after he amputated their lower extremities.

... the anticipation builds

• Haha 13

At this point, I may be in the minority, but for the mental health of everyone vested in this build, you could pop this on the wings 51s+ZdmZWwL._SY355_.jpg

Followed by a nose made from this ice-cream-cone-01-vanilla-0000.jpg?itok=

Minus the ice cream of course, throw some of these on top 6a84646656a4ecd3.jpg

And we would all celebrate as you hung this wonderment in a place of honor. Then we could all join a twelve step program together, and reminisce about how those sprinkles actually made an effective camo pattern, if ever Willy Wonka's factory needed destroying. I plan to continue the ride, even though my therapist argued against it! Looking somehow insanely great, as always!

Anthony

• Haha 9

Conning tower? I just knew the Anson bit was a bluff. Fire tubes one and two!

As for boiling your eyes. Utter nonsense. Dry ice applied with a scurfing spoon does the job nicely.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Now. If only I can channel your skills for painting it Giorgio!

I think you are very well equipped in that area too, Tony - and I'm not talking about tools....

More brilliant job on the nose - with propre use of technology, too :worthy: :clap:

Ciao

2 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

you could pop this on the wings 51s+ZdmZWwL._SY355_.jpg

Oh Anthony, if this is or could be used as cap or hat, I' m very keen to get one for the coming week. The ice cream of course too. For the pills I'm not sure with roundabout 40°C by midweek in the forecast. Ok, if they are smarties I'm in.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Why am I seeing Russian submarine conning towers below ?....... :rofl:

IMG_1229

Another benefit of using the Silhouette in such cases is being able to go back to the original designs used here and replicate the cut (using Oramask this time) to create any masks necessary for painting duties later on.

Hello Tony, Yep with an antenna it could match something like that.

1024px-%D0%A2%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%81%D0%BA_%D

Great work on the Anson and good to have you back with full power. Hope you had a great time. Oh, one photo showed that alredy. Cheers

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, bbudde said:

For the pills

Those are better than pills, they are sprinkles, which add even more magic to whatever ice cream flavor you prefer. The Mrs's might object, but I can keep my mouth shut.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Haha 5

On 7/21/2019 at 2:58 PM, Spookytooth said:

White , two sugars please Tony.

Biscuit?

On 7/21/2019 at 2:48 PM, limeypilot said:

Your nose is like a stream of bat's piddle!

(It was one of Whistler's!) It shines out when all around is dark!

Edward Lear - is that you? 🤣

On 7/21/2019 at 2:58 PM, Spookytooth said:

Ah , the advantages of having software, and being able to use it too.

Learning software is easy Simon.

You just have to imagine that programmer who wrote it isn't wearing any clothes.

No wait, that's interviews.

Rewind....

On 7/21/2019 at 4:39 PM, hendie said:

I didn't know boiling your eyes could reduce pain. Y'learn summat new every day I guess

May lead to memory loss...

b81a93c1ae6447983f90179360554a5d.jpg

Have you thought of using an old blade to "cut" directly on the brass ?

I hadn't. But now I have....

Obviously, you won't actually cut the brass

Oh yes I will! :rofl:

My first attempt - as you twigged hendie - was one of those zero-sum recursive errr...anyway it was a crude approximation of a method so I adapted your idea and ran with it.

Firstly I realized that I'd gone to it the first time buttocks-about-visage in that the most awkward part - the 'notch' at the back of the hinge (defining the downward arm that attaches to the aileron) - I'd made almost impossible to do on this thin sheet by leaving it until last. This time then I cut the notches first with the jeweller's saw:

IMG_1230

- and only then got to work on the main outline. I'd guessed that I might actually be able to cut sheet this thin if I used a rounded scalpel blade and rocked it back and forwards gently to make a cut and sure enough this worked; slow, but critically a gradual, controllable approach. After cutting it was then just a simple case of gripping each in the flat-nose pliers to file the required curve into that aileron arm. The fold to form the base:

IMG_1231

The silver ones in that shot above are surviving originals from the Flightpath PE (that and the oil coolers are sadly the only bits remaining of use). On the actual aircraft the you can see the baseplate extends on either side of the hinge but with the folding of the etch here I'll be content to compromise with it just on a single side tbh. (Looking at the photo above I notice I need to return with the file to that one in centre bottom to reduce the rear arm a little...).

Quick eyeballing in place to get a sense of visual accuracy:

IMG_1232

A final shaping with needle file/sanding stick in the next session and then time to look at the aileron. There's actually a notch in the wing that the linkage (attached to the aileron) sits into so I'll need to hollow ot the trailing edge of the wing that the aileron sits into in order to show this. There's a nice shot of this in one of the forum walkarounds:

4877%2008.jpg

Image credit: Mark Mills

Slowly moving along....

:bye:

Tony

Oops. Finished replies too soon!

On 7/21/2019 at 5:51 PM, Stalker6Recon said:

but for the mental health of everyone vested in this build, you could pop this on the wings

That's the new wedding hat sorted...

23 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

As for boiling your eyes. Utter nonsense. Dry ice applied with a scurfing spoon does the job nicely.

One day that will show up in a Google search for eye ailments Pete...

22 hours ago, giemme said:

More brilliant job on the nose - with propre use of technology, too

Vorsprung durch technik! :laugh:

21 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Tony, Yep with an antenna it could match something like that.

Any idea what those flags are they're flying Benedikt?

20 hours ago, CedB said:

Speechless. What a nose

Worthy of the Marx Bros. Ced! 😆

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Any idea what those flags are they're flying Benedikt?

Not sure.  It's an Oscar class sub named Tomsk (K-150) in 2015, which belongs to the pacific fleet, as Wiki says. The Omsk (K186) on another photo wears the same flag.  So I guess it's the pacific fleet flag, otherwise I've no idea.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Teuchter said:

I wondered that too, https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ru~nav.html google is your friend. Russian naval flags apparently.

Don

Me too Wiki says It's the naval flag (blue/white) and  Gösch ( white/red /blue) which means the (bow) jack  flag on naval vessels.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russische_Seekriegsflotte

Cheers

Edit: Hello Tony we got it  Btw this is the irish Gösh:

800px-Irish_Naval_jack.JPG

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_(flag)

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

One day that will show up in a Google search for eye ailments Pete...

Well I thought I'd made it up. So I googled it. Guess what, Scurfpeas are something to do with Malayan tea and there is a proper spoon to use! Who knew?

• Haha 2