Listening to the Solstice

Hello Dear Baron !

Lyme regis to Galway.... With a dash on a seacat I presume ??

Glad that you made it back home safely, did you meet our tentacled one ??

I'll tell you later about my ancestor since, I no longer can see the pic in my servce car....

Can't wait to see it ....

Glad enough that Crisp has induced you in good books !!

I'll pay a visit to this shop asap !!

Galway, really enjoyed the place, long time ago, I bring some pack to 2 families with relatives in France and Belgium....

At that time I did'nt dare to ask what was in the pack...:cheers:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

One could not wish for two finer companions in such circumstances as @CedB and @Ex-FAAWAFU; a day of humour and knowledge shared that I shall long treasure.

Me too. A fine time was had (including the 'don't tell the Missus' lunch choice). Thanks again for the tea (delicious) and book - very kind of you Tony :) 

It was inevitable to all reading this I'm sure that within a day of spending time with Ced I had also acquired a triangular ruler, some fine-tip paintbrushes and even more Araldite... :laugh:

That's my boy :D 

The paper also carries some fascination wartime advertising

Where can I get some 'Father Pierre's Monastery Herbs'? I could do with some renewed vigour…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Glad you had a great time Tony, I think the seagull was called Steven. They're a right pain in the bottom too, very cheeky and soon to be aggressive when they throw the youngsters out of the nest or in our case off the flat dormer roof over our bedroom (where they insist on constantly picking up and dropping a pebble). I have to wear a hard hat to go down the garden. Sorry Seagull gripe over.

I used to play around a couple of doodlebug craters in a field not far from my house on the Kent coast, they correspond with the right area on the map too .

All the best

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Where can I get some 'Father Pierre's Monastery Herbs'? I could do with some renewed vigour…

Just checked Amazon and e-bay Ced, none to be found. Guess I'll have to carry on putting up with my sour stomach and lazy liver then....

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Lyme regis to Galway.... With a dash on a seacat I presume ??

I was going to say CC, that I'd missed them building the bridge (or tunnel!) across (or under!) the Irish Sea!

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Just checked Amazon and e-bay Ced, none to be found. Guess I'll have to carry on putting up with my sour stomach and lazy liver then....

I was going to say CC, that I'd missed them building the bridge (or tunnel!) across (or under!) the Irish Sea!

K

WHAAAAAT another tunnel ???

That will be fun but still, I prefer boats !!

There's some Lamb's on the duty free shop !

CC

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, TheBaron said:

One could not wish for two finer companions in such circumstances as @CedB and @Ex-FAAWAFU; a day of humour and knowledge shared that I shall long treasure.

I have first hand accounts of this day and can say without a doubt, even the flies on the wall enjoyed this one!

18 hours ago, TheBaron said:

acquired a triangular ruler

By chance, would that be the DSPIAE scale ruler? I have been eyeballing that tool for some time now. I have their hand drill set on the way, they makes some very nice tools for the modeling world.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday, even happier to see that you have returned refreshed and motivated, I am certain that some serious progress will be made for us all to enjoy, very soon.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

"Harbour Master`s Pigeons, we have two families that have nested and raised to fine broods of youngsters, who are just about to fledge the nest. 

By coincidence I noticed a lot more gull nests tucked away on various raised flat surfaces around Lyme this year Simon. Whether it was because this time we were actually staying in the centre of town tor not I don't know but don't recall seeing so many 'lodgings' on previous visits at this time of year. Where's Chris Packham's phone number....

19 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Doodle bugs... One of those hit my Nan`s house, hence I live in Portsmouth, they were evacuated to nearby Haying Island (my mum was a slip of a girl aged 1 when that happened. 

She still has a phobia about loud noises still, 70 odd years later.

I'm not bloody surprised. Enough to frighten anyone.

18 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Though we were also saying how much we look forward to seeing the fully functioning ram-air turbine (visible to the right of my head) on your forthcoming build.

Were you in earshot when Zorg Ced 'helpfully' offered me use of some tiny electric motors he had?

giphy.gif

18 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

You won’t be surprised to learn that I have the David Hobbs book.  I haven’t read it yet because I am working through his account in order: “The Royal Navy’s (sic) Naval Air Service in the Great War” already done (and very highly recommended),

Indeed not.

I shall work my way through his oeuvre in reverse order. :thumbsup2:

18 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Galway, really enjoyed the place, long time ago, I bring some pack to 2 families with relatives in France and Belgium....

At that time I did'nt dare to ask what was in the pack...

Knowing Galway it was probably sausages and a change of underwear.

Or underwear and a change of sausages.

17 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

After your perilous journey you deserve a rest before you resume modelling.

Right, is that long enough?

I say!

Barely had time to unpack the portmanteau and shake the Dorset sand out of the bathing codpiece...

(Something gluing as I write however Pete...) 😁

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks again for the tea (delicious) and book - very kind of you Tony

Pleasure Ced. 🤝

16 hours ago, CedB said:

http://collection.sciencemuseum.org.uk/objects/co192371/packet-of-father-pierres-monastery-herbs-packets

'Gift of Barclay's Bank.'

(An earlier form of payment-in-kind' to hide obscene bonuses no doubt....)

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

They're a right pain in the bottom too, very cheeky and soon to be aggressive when they throw the youngsters out of the nest or in our case off the flat dormer roof over our bedroom (where they insist on constantly picking up and dropping a pebble). I have to wear a hard hat to go down the garden. Sorry Seagull gripe over. 

:rofl2:

I know I shouldn't laugh Chris but I'm seeing the first ten minutes' of Saving Private Ryan re-done with herring gulls...

(Apologies for my gross insensitivity...)

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I used to play around a couple of doodlebug craters in a field not far from my house on the Kent coast, they correspond with the right area on the map too .

As the principle of ground-truth goes that sounds emphatic enough for me.! :nodding:

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

sour stomach and lazy liver

Worst name for a cocktail ever.... 🤣

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

11 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

WHAAAAAT another tunnel ???

Repeat after me;

"Anál nathrach,

orth’ bháis's bethad,

do chél dénmha."

2 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

By chance, would that be the DSPIAE scale ruler?

Of the same style but a cheaper hardware store version Anthony (£2):

FAIRULETRI.jpg&PORTALID=0&ssl=true

Doing a bit of work on the aircraft's nose today in prep. for some future vacforming Giorgio.

More as it develops.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Welcome back Tony. A great shame I could not have joined and made a it a foursome. We had long arranged plans for friends visiting at the weekend, otherwise I would certainly have joined you three. I did manage a quick visit to the target tank museum though. I must seek out that David Hobbs book, which is a noticeable gap in my library.

Terry

• Like 3

The lot of you should be ashamed, I got terribly sunwarmed (I rarely 'burn') at Yeovilton on Saturday wishing I had more of my buddies there to enjoy a brilliant display

Harriers, Lightning 2 and Wessex flights on view, plus Wasps (plural) and in service Merlin's Wildcats and Typhoons

All that was missing was you lot sharing a brew in Navy Wings

And to stay on topic, a metal bodied Anson in static with a pair of Strike masters and an Alize

Marvellous

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Welcome back Tony. A great shame I could not have joined

Terry, if we're over in Dorset next year we'll have to find a way to meet for sure. :nodding:

52 minutes ago, perdu said:

at Yeovilton on Saturday wishing I had more of my buddies there to enjoy a brilliant display

Wouldn't it be great if one year we were all able to sync calendars and be there en masse to ogle some airframes? 🔭🔭 (Couldn't find a binocular emoji so two telescopes...)

52 minutes ago, perdu said:

All that was missing was you lot sharing a brew in Navy Wings

Did get to vicariously watch some of the exhibitors on the preceding Thurs Bill as they often trail a Skyvan out around Lyme Bay filming (I guess) for the souvenir DVD. Having a mini-Yeovilton going on overhead whilst floating on your back in the sea is not the worst way to spend an afternoon all things considered.

Glad you had a good weekend. :thumbsup2:

Began work earlier on building a new nose underside:

Datum established where the metal nose meets the main ribbed fuselage:

IMG_1153

The nose itself is basically a tapering metal cylinder with an oblate curve to the underside:

2019-07-15_11-22-06

That plastic section giving me a corrected height:

IMG_1157

- I then plastered on some Milliput so begin forming a blank for the vacform buck (Millibuck?):

IMG_1160

Roughly blocked-out in shape with a wet razor blade, it'll receive some sihrscery once cured to trry and capture how that curved cross-section becomes ever more planar as it forms that sliding panel underneath for the bomb-aimer:

1104485.jpg

(seeing these lads fold a dinghy reminds me to add the corresponding panel for it to the top of the starboard nacelle later on...)

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

The nose itself is basically a tapering metal cylinder with an oblate curve to the underside:

...that curved cross-section becomes ever more planar as it forms that sliding panel underneath for the bomb-aimer...

Took the words right out of mouth, obviously: quite clearly an oblate curve with increasing planar-itude.

At least, it would be if I had anything more than a very, very hazy idea what any of that meant.

[Tricky profile to reproduce, but for a Baron armed with SIHRSC, all is possible].

• Haha 8

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Terry, if we're over in Dorset next year we'll have to find a way to meet for sure. :nodding:

Wouldn't it be great if one year we were all able to sync calendars and be there en masse to ogle some airframes? 🔭🔭 (Couldn't find a binocular emoji so two telescopes...)

Oh My God Dear Baron !!

I can't imagine a better place for a BM reunion !!

That will be legendary, if such an event will occur, I'll bring some throat lubricant !!

Now, I will dream about such a MMM !! stand for Mad Modellers Meeting !!

LEGENDARY !! For sure !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Crisp Fleet Air Arm Waffling Amateur Guide Services [CFAAWAGS] always available to assist (?) fellow-BM lunatics, at least with a few weeks’ notice.

I'd definately take you up on that one some time soon Crisp!  I secured my new annual pass a few weeks ago as you may recall.

Terry

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Terry, if we're over in Dorset next year we'll have to find a way to meet for sure. 

Absolutely Tony. And you would always be welcome to visit our humble Dorset abode. Not many places could claim to be in earshot of live steam traction, deafening kinetic energy gunshot, and the odd Wildcat and Seaking (ex of FAA), all in the same day! Oh and I should also mention the Falcon jets partaking in our own regular "Thursday war".

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Took the words right out of mouth, obviously: quite clearly an oblate curve with increasing planar-itude.

Took a Navy man to condense my meandering waffle into a precise prose of course. :laugh: 📐

23 hours ago, giemme said:

And here he is, back at full steam!

Like a catapult! 😁

21 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Welcome back Tony. Glad you survived exposure to the tool man's influence relatively unscathed. 

Cheers Ian.

I can confirm that he also influenced my choice of lunch that day. The green salad and yak's cheese quiche I hadn't had one of those toffee square things for pudding since school dinners all those years ago...

21 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

He told me he now walks with a limp.

I didn't dare ask what....

It's as if he's forgotten signing that NDA.

Reckless isn't the word....

20 hours ago, perdu said:

Triangular rule?

Oooer missis

:rofl2: Oh Bill that made me snort out loud.

13 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

surely yes !! if the herbs in question is barley !!

Amen my son ! Go make models in a free state of mind !!

If only all doctors were like you CC! 🤪:rofl:

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Crisp Fleet Air Arm Waffling Amateur Guide Services [CFAAWAGS] always available to assist (?) fellow-BM lunatics, at least with a few weeks’ notice.

Highly recommended to all friends of things that fly over water.

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Absolutely Tony. And you would always be welcome to visit our humble Dorset abode. Not many places could claim to be in earshot of live steam traction, deafening kinetic energy gunshot, and the odd Wildcat and Seaking (ex of FAA), all in the same day!

You are clearly living the dream of the little boy in all of us Terry. 😄

I'd be delighted to visit of course. :thumbsup2:

Milliput cured and natch some sihrscitry over the breakfast Oolong. Here's the buck getting a first rough shaping and the main contours being blocked out:

IMG_1166

Draw-filing that main planar bit with the sihrsc was the critical part of this operation in order to get a correct height at the front of the nose in relation to the rear part of the nose section already established by the plastic 'rib' added previously. With that done, more detailed draw-filing with needle files and some sanding sticks drew out the more detailed contours:

IMG_1167

Some people may wonder why I didn't just leave that Milliput in place as an effective modification? Because it would give the same issue that the original Airfix moulding suffered from i.e., not being amenable to producing those tiny lower windows front and sides that you see here:

5097c77bf8e11d8fb3ee8ad19dd635c9.jpg

Image credit: 'Ken'

I'll add a new front face to the nose as well but for this stage of the process, this should do:

IMG_1169

Question hanging over me all morning was: 'Will the cunning plan of putting some Tamiya tape down at the start so that the Milliput pulls away cleanly, work?'

Yes! :yahoo:

No breakages!

IMG_1173

For buck duties that shape obvs. needs to be reduced to allow for the thickness of the vacformed plastic around it. I want to have a good thickness on that vacform so that we get a nice secure bond gluing it to the kit moulding, though remain aware that this may blunt some of the vacformed corners as a result. Think that can be dealt with by filing them to sharper angles after vacforming (which the thickness of the plastic should allow) but necessary experiments to be done in that dept. of course.

Have the rest of the week off so in between domestic duties hope to keep the momentum up on this for a bit.

Off to get some food in for the week now though.

Thanks for reading!

:bye:

Tony

PS. Ordered a set of these whilst away for use later on XN708 over on the Vixen FAW.1 build (night rocket attack). Have I bought the right kind i.e., used on operations in 1964?

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

For buck duties that shape obvs. needs to be reduced to allow for the thickness of the vacformed plastic around it. I want to have a good thickness on that vacform so that we get a nice secure bond gluing it to the kit moulding, though remain aware that this may blunt some of the vacformed corners as a result. Think that can be dealt with by filing them to sharper angles after vacforming (which the thickness of the plastic should allow) but necessary experiments to be done in that dept. of course.

Might be worth vacforming one or two prior to reducing the size of the buck?  As possibly useable spares should reducing the buck not turn out right?  And/or cast a full size resin copy of the buck as a back up?  Or p'raps that just my own cackhanded 'things never turn out right first time' methodology........

Experimentation is probably the only way forward.  But as another twopennethworth from me - you might be able to reinforce thin sides on the insides with plastic strip  and/or bulkheads to ensure a good bonding surface if the alternative is thicker sheet/blunt details.

Anywhich way - it's gonna be fun watching :)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1