Listening to the Solstice

7 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Motorhead at Friars in Aylesbury. No seats, holds a couple of hundred. Saw Def Leppard there too, before their first album was released. I actually saw them 4 or 5 times before the 1st album, in places not much bigger. Used to hang around and chat with them afterwards. Happy days!

More recently, ZZ Top in the Melody tent in Hyannis, MA. Holds a couple of thousand but because of the layout, revolving stage in the middle, the furthest back you could be is row 14!

Oh and can't forget AC/DC at Hammy Odeon, November 1979. Bon's last tour, and Def Leppard as support.

Ian

Great taste !! Motorhead ! 

The ears were ringing for 2 or 3 days ??

Then AC/DC ! Gooood !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/29/2019 at 1:35 PM, TheBaron said:

This post is highly suspect on two counts Martian:

1. Denying in the absence of any accusation being made that this was yourself photographed behaving thus.
  2. The assumption that anyone reading this thread would in fact recognize the Melchettian buttockage from a rear aspect.

I must say that I'm not sure that our Dear tentacled was on the bike...

Since He was again been caught puzzling the air Force...

65275222_2472795962741232_5768185338165985280_n

He has tricky things under his belt !!

I don't know if it is a Blurgelcruncheon side effect but the poor  F-94 pilots look like this now !!

53410209_10156912180674070_1940887741013164032_n

Come on Dear Baron !

Can't wait to see the Vixen !! 

CC

• Haha 10

On 6/30/2019 at 3:08 PM, limeypilot said:

Motorhead at Friars in Aylesbury. No seats, holds a couple of hundred. Saw Def Leppard there too, before their first album was released. I actually saw them 4 or 5 times before the 1st album, in places not much bigger. Used to hang around and chat with them afterwards. Happy days!

More recently, ZZ Top in the Melody tent in Hyannis, MA. Holds a couple of thousand but because of the layout, revolving stage in the middle, the furthest back you could be is row 14!

Oh and can't forget AC/DC at Hammy Odeon, November 1979. Bon's last tour, and Def Leppard as support.

Ian

OK, I’ll play.

John Martyn, Durham University 1980-81.  Sublime.

Led Zeppelin, Knebworth 1979

Little Feat, numerous times, but probably 1977 the best

Kelly Joe Phelps in a pub in Southampton; a slide guitar genius

Steely Dan Hammersmith 2009

And the saddest, Peter Green still visibly shot away about 10 years ago, but close your eyes and every so often a flash of his transcendent genius still shone through

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Now that makes me jealous - 'Waiting for Colombus' is my all time fave live album and has been played to death in every car that i've owned with a CD player , and I've just about worn it out on Spotify!!!

You've reminded me that I saw John Martyn once, but I have absolutely no recollection where - must have been a good night!

Keith

PS - I bet when Tony gets back from holibobs he's glad we're only talking about gigs and not re-decorating his gaff or having one of @corsaircorp's infamous house parties....!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

OK, I’ll play.

Kelly Joe Phelps in a pub in Southampton; a slide guitar genius

Steely Dan Hammersmith 2009

And the saddest, Peter Green still visibly shot away about 10 years ago, but close your eyes and every so often a flash of his transcendent genius still shone through

Some friends of mine went to Knebworth that year and asked if I wanted to go too....I turned them down....Still kicking myself for that!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Some friends of mine went to Knebworth that year and asked if I wanted to go too....I turned them down....Still kicking myself for that!

Ian

At the time I had convinced myself that Zep were dinosaurs in the punk era, and that the bands I really wanted to see were lower down the bill (only one of whom I can actually recall now - Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes, who were indeed very good).  That lasted until about 2 minutes into Zep’s set, at which point my mental “who am I kidding?” circuit breaker popped and I got on with enjoying myself...

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Keith

PS - I bet when Tony gets back from holibobs he's glad we're only talking about gigs and not re-decorating his gaff or having one of @corsaircorp's infamous house parties....!!

Is that a call for a party ??

The party leader was not me, but I admit that I did my part...:whistle:

But since Percy and @TonyTiger66 are away, it's no longer the same game

Sayin' that, I hope that Tony grew better

CC

PS; then I'm busy preparing the SMW party !!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/29/2019 at 1:34 PM, Martian Hale said:

2. I fear that all too many have been subjected to the Melchian rear view. I quote: "Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream, belts off trousers down, isn't life a scream!"

:rofl2: I stand corrected Martian!

On 6/29/2019 at 2:11 PM, hendie said:

Ced, the one in the vise is small. The one drinking the water is very far away

:rofl2:x2

On 6/29/2019 at 4:07 PM, perdu said:

Obvs the white and tan correspondent brogues and if it is the same old green dayglo mankini how could you improve upon the classic purple and neon yellow paisley

With the white and black polka dot suspenders 

Simply class and classic 

On 6/29/2019 at 6:26 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Practically uniform in your neck of the woods, eh Bill? 

Beaten to to the punchline! 🤣

On 6/29/2019 at 4:13 PM, Martian Hale said:

🤮

Martian 👽

Classic Martian economy of expression....

On 6/29/2019 at 5:30 PM, bbudde said:

What would life be without irony?

It would be un-ironic. Ironically enough.

On 6/29/2019 at 6:20 PM, Terry1954 said:

Stuart @Courageous, looks like we need one of those too.

Mandatory survival kit Terry. That and a foil blanket.

On 6/29/2019 at 8:29 PM, Courageous said:

You first :poke:.

Stuart

Both together on the 'purchase' button: 'One. Two, Three. Buy!'

On 6/29/2019 at 8:33 PM, Spookytooth said:

I think this is getting rather dodgy... 

No wonder there's such a recruitment problem nowadays. The MOD really needs to rethink its social media campaign.

On 6/30/2019 at 3:26 AM, Andwil said:

What a fabulous word.  If you don’t mind I’ll borrow it for use myself.

Help yourself AW but remember to only deploy as a precision munition in circumstances involving rank narcissism and conspicuous consumption/stupidity in order to avoid damaging the innocent.

On 6/30/2019 at 6:22 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

Due to a slip of the keyboard last night, I have a 12 inch Stanley Tenon saw and mitre block winging their way towards me.

I don't need a tube cutter thingy (yet) but I do have some restoration work to do on an old chair. 

Anyone envious of that? :sad:

Nobody's fooled by that 'furniture restoration' line you're shooting Pete.

The chair's going to become another bloody hovertank isn't it?

On 6/30/2019 at 8:34 AM, bootneck said:

The saw or the old chair? :shrug:

Cycling may also have been implied...

giphy.gif

On 6/30/2019 at 8:48 AM, perdu said:

I might be old but I can remember said clubs

Disappointed not to see the original Hellfire Club feature on that list tbh Bill.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:48 AM, perdu said:

We are older than youse lot, but still rocking

Amen to that. 🤘

On 6/30/2019 at 9:27 AM, bigbadbadge said:

The fairings look great and look very ghostly in the photo. Kittens look very cute.

Hope you have a cracking holiday

Thanks on all counts Chris. :thumbsup2:

On 6/30/2019 at 12:04 PM, keefr22 said:

Indeedy Bill (I saw Queen

My hopes that you were going to reveal unearthly longevity by continuing: 'Elizabeth 1st after the Armada had been blown North around Scotland' cruelly dashed by the remainder of that sentence Keith.

On 6/30/2019 at 2:16 PM, Stalker6Recon said:

If this helps, I am. Love working with wood, just wish I had more opportunity to do so.

Be careful Anthony: you are in an innuendo hot-zone on this forum.

This has been a public service announcement.

:laugh:

On 6/30/2019 at 3:08 PM, limeypilot said:

Motorhead at Friars in Aylesbury. No seats,

Friars Aylesbury...

How often did that name crop up in adverts at the back of 'Sounds'. #bitd

On 6/30/2019 at 11:03 PM, corsaircorp said:

Great taste !! Motorhead ! 

The ears were ringing for 2 or 3 days ??

Then AC/DC ! Gooood !!

That sounds like a very odd examination by a doctor in casualty CC! :laugh:

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Beautiful wings and things. I hope you’re having a splendid time away. I’d forgotten about the Vixen. I am suitably excited for that one. 👌😃🤤

Ta v. much Johnny. Not off for a couple of days yet but no further bench activity until the return. :thumbsup2:

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

'Make No Mistake' :thumbsup2:

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

You've reminded me that I saw John Martyn once, but I have absolutely no recollection where

As he would have wanted it Keith.... :thumbsup2:

Bizarrely the only time I got to see JM live was when he did one of the support slots for the (brief) Genesis reunion at Milton Keynes Bowl in '82. A most un-intimate situation to hear His Huskiness in.

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I bet when Tony gets back from holibobs he's glad we're only talking about gigs and not re-decorating his gaff or having one of @corsaircorp's infamous house parties....!!

:rofl:I HAVEN'T BLOODY GONE YET AND CAN HEAR EVERYTHING.

<CAPS off

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I was only 14 then and more preoccupied with how to marry Kate Bush tbh.

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That lasted until about 2 minutes into Zep’s set, at which point my mental “who am I kidding?” circuit breaker popped and I got on with enjoying myself...

As it should be.

As I've gotten older, certain gigs have completely rewired my expectations of live music. Seeing both Joanna Newsom and Laurie Anderson at various times in Dublin, your correspondent drifted upward eyes-closed in enchantment without any stimuli - music as well as love being the drug...

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

The party leader was not me, but I admit that I did my part...:whistle:

For one brief and perilous moment CC  I thought that this might be an announcement to do with British politics and was about to have a nervous breakdown... #laurakuensbergintears

This will be the last post on this thread until mid-July due to the heady imminence of the holiday beach, secondhand bookshops, FAA, and bubblegum-flavoured ice cream. Play nice with each other and do not touch what is in the locked cupboard.

Here's some 'Owl Service' to keep you quiet:

:bye:

Tony

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

Hello Tony,

FAA ? You really type FAA !! 

So that MUST be great holydays !! Yeovilton is on your list ??

If yes, Say Hello to the Skua and the Wyvern on my behalf !

One of the guy at the restaurant has lived in Belgium for a while !! great guy !!

I let him some of my SMW ammos 2years ago !!

Enjoy ! 

CC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

While they are one of my favorite bands ever, I was nine that year, not really an age appropriate concert, but I probably would have enjoyed it anyway. Nice list by the way, hope others jump in as well.

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

This has been a public service announcement

I should just hang my head, and take the walk of shame for running, not stumbling, but full pace running into that one. Just for the record, I don't work with ANY WOOD that isn't my own!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Here's some 'Owl Service' to keep you quiet

Thanks Tony, what a series! Gillian Hills in her (slobber slobber) youth. :Tasty:

How many scenes can you have where the actress pouts without getting an 'adult' rating?

What a weird programme.

Written my 'anon' according to IMBD.

Come on, own up…

Have a good trip and see you soon!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

My hopes that you were going to reveal unearthly longevity by continuing: 'Elizabeth 1st after the Armada had been blown North around Scotland' cruelly dashed by the remainder of that sentence Keith.

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I HAVEN'T BLOODY GONE YET AND CAN HEAR EVERYTHING.

<CAPS off

Are you still here? C'mon clear off to wildest Dorset or wherever so we can get on with things...!! :tease:

Have a great time, I'm actually a little jealous as down there is my favourite part of the country.... :)

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm on episode four of 'The Owl Service'.

Weird it is.

Unusual cinematography too.

I shall have words…

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Morning afternoon evening all,

whatever it is here and wherever you are. 💫 You've all been remarkably restrained in my absence compared to previous years...

Set off at 4am and drove non-stop from Lyme Regis  to Galway yesterday so in a perfectly distracted state of mind in which  to hop onto the forum for a brief catchup - hope you've all been well?

As per usual the Dorsettian sojourn passed by all-too rapidly in a drifting semi-dream state of vale, sea and heat:

Lyme_Panorama2

For dinner most evenings we were accompanied at the trough by Theodor1, a local sea-pigeon.  An attentive bird, combining a rapacious eye with great utility in not requiring us to sweep away any stray crumbs after the meal:

IMG_1148

Daily joy also at observing such a large number of swifts playing with the air over the town morn and evening in this time of declining numbers.

No episode of  Love Island is of course complete without some form of naval aviation and - as you may have read about over on Ced's thread already - I joined two of the other contestant for a pilgrimage to Yeovilton.

In this photo you can see them at the rear of XS590 muttering darkly to each other about "brass tubing" and "he really needs to see a doctor"....

cedcrisp_02

For obvs reasons I had to cut short these paparazzi duties to ogle some o' this:

vixwingport_sm

Looks straightforward enough.... 🤦‍♂️

Incidentally, doing some further background research on XN708 whilst away threw up some further backstory. More on that over in the Sea Vixen thread when I've digested the material on order.

One could not wish for two finer companions in such circumstances as @CedB and @Ex-FAAWAFU; a day of humour and knowledge shared that I shall long treasure.

It should surprise no-one that even a brief exposure to Crisp resulted in a subsequent visit to 'Books Afloat'2 over in Weymouth for some preparatory background reading:

91a+5sbr+kL.jpg

...whilst the inner technogeek was similarly slaked by purchase of:

51PmDmzJN7L._SX302_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's as well I'm married. "Have a thing about sonar" would just not have worked on Tinder...

It was inevitable to all reading this I'm sure that within a day of spending time with Ced I had also acquired a triangular ruler, some fine-tip paintbrushes and even more Araldite... :laugh:

Whilst kicking our heels in Axminster on the first day of the holiday I chanced across this in a recycling shop:

IMG_1151

An original  Kent Messenger dated September 29th, 1944. Aside from the graphic design, what caught my eye was the intensity of impacts in this region (an ironically successful indicator that HM government disinformation through double-agents was working in decoying Nazi targetting procedures away from London?). Would the actual sites have been published in the open press like this though, even at this late stage of the war? :hmmm:

The paper also carries some fascination wartime advertising:

IMG_1152

Not an ancestor of yours @corsaircorp? :winkgrin:

That's enough of my blathering anyway. Good to be back with you all and more anon during the week.

:bye:

Tony

1A false name has been used here to protect his real identity.

2 A must visit for anyone interested in naval/nautical books imho....

http://nootherisland.blogspot.com/2011/05/books-afloat-weymouth.html

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

Well Tony, it looks like you and your family had a good time away.

We tidied up the best we could before heading to @giemme place to continue the party.

As for the "Harbour Master`s Pigeons, we have two families that have nested and raised to fine broods of youngsters, who are just about to fledge the nest.

Doodle bugs... One of those hit my Nan`s house, hence I live in Portsmouth, they were evacuated to nearby Haying Island (my mum was a slip of a girl aged 1 when that happened.

She still has a phobia about loud noises still, 70 odd years later.

Anyhow I will leave you to continue your fine build(s)

Simon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Good to hear you're back safe, Tony :thumbsup:

And glad you had a great time with Ced and Crisp, too :)

Looking forward to the resuming of works on this thread 😉

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Scarily, your reported speech in the photo of @CedB & me by the port jet pipe of a Vixen is almost verbatim.  Though we were also saying how much we look forward to seeing the fully functioning ram-air turbine (visible to the right of my head) on your forthcoming build.

You won’t be surprised to learn that I have the David Hobbs book.  I haven’t read it yet because I am working through his account in order: “The Royal Navy’s (sic) Naval Air Service in the Great War” already done (and very highly recommended), “The Dawn of Carrier Strike: The World of Lt W P Lucy DSO RN” about ⅔ through (also excellent). That just leaves “The Pacific Fleet” and then the post-war book already in your possession.  Since he is himself a WAFU (flew Gannets, amongst other things), he knows what he is talking about, and writes well.  Plus he was Director of the FAA Museum for a while, so no doubt knows his sources!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2