Listening to the Solstice

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Since 1982 I think I've seen him live about six times

OK, sorry, but I have to do this, let us know who we are working with here. What has been your favorite live act (music guys, don't want to read about Amsterdam and donkeys). Here are a few of mine.

Best quality sound, Rush (watching them play all of 2112 has been etched permanently into my brain.

Best big stadium show, U2, singing with 80,000 people while dancing with a very beautiful girl who didn't care about my name, nor me hers, best vibe show ever.

Most amazing show, Jane's Addiction playing in a club that held less than 200 people before they got big, standing stage front and singing with the band.

These shows cost less than twenty dollars US, this was all before the age of the internet and tickets going from affordable to the price of a compact car. My concert days are over.

Finally, biggest regret at having not seen them live, Queen. I never really appreciated them, until a saw a video from their concert at Wembly, the song "radio ga ga", the impact, immediate. This was of course a long long time ago, long before the movie version.

Cheers,

Anthony

• Like 3

Love that Vic & Bob video Tony - a female Geordie colleague of mine once told me that the reason they walk around in the freezing cold in skimpy clothing is that the clubs they tour are hot and there's nowhere to put a coat. No, I didn't believe her either…

Now then, what's this lovely little thing:

48143140666_0360080cdf_z.jpg

No, not the cat - the thing in the vice! Another 'must have' for the tool collection?

I hope the packing goes well Tony - bet you're looking forward to the holiday!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Now then, what's this lovely little thing:

48143140666_0360080cdf_z.jpg

No, not the cat - the thing in the vice! Another 'must have' for the tool collection?

Isn’t it one of those tube cutter thingies?

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, limeypilot said:

If you like Peter Gabriel, check out Wasis Diop.

Already on the playlist Ian!

Always impressed by the talent on his Real World label too.

22 hours ago, perdu said:

Glad you pointed it out too Tony, any excuse to disparage such is always welcome here at Perdu Towers

The aircraft (I think) is a wreck in Iceland that Instagramorons like to photograph themselves looking all moody on.

Make a great diorama. With J.B. underneath the aircraft.

Benedikt. You have a truly warped mind.

I like you.

17 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

My concert days are over.

Mine too unless it's fully seated.

Realized at a John Cale gig a few years back that the back was no longer able to withstand 2 hours of bouncing around...

(Agree with you on the pricing - VIP packages must only sell to insurance company executives. How depressing for the artiste to come off stage and be confronted by Darren from Accounts wanting a selfie...)

13 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

There is absolutely no truth in the rumour that that is the Martian backside on that bike! Could well be @general melchett though.

This post is highly suspect on two counts Martian:

1. Denying in the absence of any accusation being made that this was yourself photographed behaving thus.
  2. The assumption that anyone reading this thread would in fact recognize the Melchettian buttockage from a rear aspect.

I think that the committee will have much more to say on this matter in due course...

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Another 'must have' for the tool collection?

8 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Quite so gentlemen. One of these.

Am I allowed to say how great Proops Bros. are in matters of tooling? (Too late. They're great!)

For cutting metal tubing/strip but equally useful for lengths of plastic that little jig has proven indispensible now, hence its prominence on the bench.

You'll not be surprised that this was one in a long and torrid series of investments prompted by hendie! :laugh:

3 hours ago, perdu said:

I didn't want to be the first to ask but...

You know well not to worry Bill: someone will always ask where a tool is concerned. Often me.... :facepalm:

13 hours ago, CedB said:

I hope the packing goes well Tony - bet you're looking forward to the holiday!

Ta Ced. :thumbsup2: Not leaving to get the ferry from Dublin until Thursday but plenty to get through before then. You know the sort of thing: which brogues to wear to the bandstand, which cravat goes with what mankini...

Looking forwards to the following Tues no end I have to say! :yahoo:

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

1. This alien is usually blamed for anything weird going on so I thought I would get in first for a change.

2. I fear that all too many have been subjected to the Melchian rear view. I quote: "Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream, belts off trousers down, isn't life a scream!"

Martian 👽

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Ah, I think you're right Crisp - bigger than I thought they would be… :) 

Ced, the one in the vise is small. The one drinking the water is very far away

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

which brogues to wear to the bandstand, which cravat goes with what mankini...

Obvs the white and tan correspondent brogues and if it is the same old green dayglo mankini how could you improve upon the classic purple and neon yellow paisley

With the white and black polka dot suspenders

Simply class and classic

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, perdu said:

Obvs the white and tan correspondent brogues and if it is the same old green dayglo mankini how could you improve upon the classic purple and neon yellow paisley

Simply class and classic

🤮

Martian 👽

• Haha 7

On 6/29/2019 at 1:35 PM, TheBaron said:

Benedikt. You have a truly warped mind.

Hello Tony, Oh, now I'm in Zugzwang to explain: What would life be without irony? Obviously nothing but a sad and boring one and I have only this one. So, I' m happy, that I can stay here at my destop and don't have to go into the cellar for laughing.

Btw. Ahh, but it's cool there today.

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

For cutting metal tubing/strip but equally useful for lengths of plastic that little jig has proven indispensible now, hence its prominence on the bench.

You'll not be surprised that this was one in a long and torrid series of investments prompted by hendie!

Stuart @Courageous, looks like we need one of those too.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Simply class and classic

Practically uniform in your neck of the woods, eh Bill?

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Instagramorons

What a fabulous word.  If you don’t mind I’ll borrow it for use myself.

AW

• Like 3

Due to a slip of the keyboard last night, I have a 12 inch Stanley Tenon saw and mitre block winging their way towards me.

I don't need a tube cutter thingy (yet) but I do have some restoration work to do on an old chair. 

Anyone envious of that? :sad:

• Like 6

On 28/06/2019 at 23:51, CedB said:

Love that Vic & Bob video Tony - a female Geordie colleague of mine once told me that the reason they walk around in the freezing cold in skimpy clothing is that the clubs they tour are hot and there's nowhere to put a coat. No, I didn't believe her either…

I might be old but I can remember said clubs

Hot?

Incandescent inside indeed

I have seen some things that might be compared to coat pegs too, but not on a family website ta

If we are doing best gigs The Kinks, Ritz ballroom Kings Heath is up there and Quo at the NEC (Nephew was on the crew)

And oddly enough Tom Paxton in the Birmingham Town Hall

Good times rolled

Mrs P saw The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, first or second time around

We are older than youse lot, but still rocking

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Anyone envious of that?

If this helps, I am. Love working with wood, just wish I had more opportunity to do so. Hope it goes well and the chair is first of all, safe, appearance comes in a close second of course.

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

(I saw Queen

That is my regret show I missed. Was it what you expected, or better?

• Like 3

Motorhead at Friars in Aylesbury. No seats, holds a couple of hundred. Saw Def Leppard there too, before their first album was released. I actually saw them 4 or 5 times before the 1st album, in places not much bigger. Used to hang around and chat with them afterwards. Happy days!

More recently, ZZ Top in the Melody tent in Hyannis, MA. Holds a couple of thousand but because of the layout, revolving stage in the middle, the furthest back you could be is row 14!

Oh and can't forget AC/DC at Hammy Odeon, November 1979. Bon's last tour, and Def Leppard as support.

Ian

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

That is my regret show I missed. Was it what you expected, or better?

What I expected at the time, but it was nothing like their later massive stadium gigs! Really enjoyed it though!

K

• Like 2