Listening to the Solstice

I must have misunderstood the word "stringers" for the scalloped lined in the roof, that was my intended praise. The hair thingy creeps me out to address!

Did not know about the "no politics" rule, makes perfect sense, it has no place in modeling, unless and until some nit wit tries to ban modeling because it kills some elusive termite that only eats Tamiya brand tape, or other idiotic reason. If that day ever comes, I swear an oath to be a law breaker from that day forward!

Nice find on the desk, I have been eyeing them as well, since as of now I still don't have a proper work bench. I started my new "first" kit, but have the problem of packing everything up when done for the day, and then unpacking when the work begins again. Very inefficient and annoying, will make for a SLOW build, but hopefully this won't last forever.

Looking forward to your next update, looks like she will be ready for flight testing in no time!

Anthony

• Like 1

Those stringers are most effective.

Martian 👽

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Eileen's Emporium. Where would we be without it?

All my soldering supplies come from Eileen.

Is she a real person, like Mom from Mom's Robots in Futurama? :hmmm:

Indeed she was a real person. Eileen and attendant hubby were regular fixtures with their Emporium at the best model railway exhibitions around the country until they retired, whereupon the new and current owners took over the reins.

:)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lovely work on the rear fuselage there Tony, but you did do it the hard way. It's far easier, quicker, and more controllable, to use a biro to draw them onto the back of a piece of .005" sheet with just enough pressure that it leaves imprints which show through on the other side as raised. Then glue that to the fuselage. Careful if you use plastic glue as the thin sheet will easily melt and leave blemishes if you use too much! I haven't tried it (cos I didn't have any at the time) but my thinking is to try GatorGrip next time.

I did the entire fuselage of my Morane-Saulnier Type N that way and would never have managed it with sticking bits on. I tried that once too, it wasn't pretty! You've done a great job using that approach!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I was behind him.

Buzz Aldrin

I was going to say something clever, but since at that very  moment in 1969, I was still in one of daddies swimmer makers, I realized that I did not qualify. My "Neil Armstrong" moment happened to wear white leather (no, not Elvis) and liked to brag about about breaking every bone in his body (even that young, my first thought was "you aren't very good at this, Mr. Kenevil". His glory ended with a quarter second failure and the embarrassing float to the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

Not every generation is so lucky to have an Armstrong. My true generation Armstrong, is the guy that won (wink wink) the Tour De France 7 times in a row, because cancer "made him better".

Oh well, I will just pretend to have a real hero, like Andy Capp!

Edited by Stalker6Recon
Spell check
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bet the body work on my Skoda beats your Skoda 😂 i think instead of an anson tribute maybe go 112 sqn and get a sharks mouth on there. 

Great to see she she has her wings on, amazing how they leap forward at this stage... hope you have all your paints prepared 😃

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Haha 1

As ordered I will not tell you I was holding the ladder steady

OK?

I might however mention how nicely Annie is coming along

Yes I will

Annie is coming along beautifully, thanks

• Haha 2

On 6/7/2019 at 1:21 PM, Stalker6Recon said:

I still don't have a proper work bench.

I pray that you may find the peace of one soon Brother Anthony.

On 6/7/2019 at 1:28 PM, Martian Hale said:

From the Sensei of Interior Framing this is praise to be treasured. My thanks.

On 6/7/2019 at 1:36 PM, Spookytooth said:

Wings on, two of them as well....

How daring!!!!

Convention be damned dear heart! 

On 6/7/2019 at 1:36 PM, Spookytooth said:

Like the new bench sir, keeps things a bit more together safely.

Ta Simon. The old workbench had plenty of space but hadn't been built originally with modelling in mind so was too deep and the shelves out of reach. I can still use it as a painting area but have the new one abutting it at 90°, making a nicer L-shaped work area. For the first time ever I don't feel like just 'making-do'....

On 6/7/2019 at 1:44 PM, Heather Kay said:

Indeed she was a real person. Eileen and attendant hubby were regular fixtures with their Emporium at the best model railway exhibitions around the country until they retired, whereupon the new and current owners took over the reins.

Splendid to hear Heather. A tip of the Homburg to the enduring heritage of Eileen & spouse.

On 6/7/2019 at 5:34 PM, limeypilot said:

It's far easier, quicker, and more controllable, to use a biro to draw them onto the back of a piece of .005" sheet with just enough pressure that it leaves imprints which show through on the other side as raised.

This is indeed to be my chosen method for re-profiling the belly Ian. Thieved it from one of your biplane builds some time back for just such a moment.. :evil_laugh:

On 6/7/2019 at 5:55 PM, keefr22 said:

I was behind him.

On the naughty step....

On 6/7/2019 at 5:34 PM, limeypilot said:

I haven't tried it (cos I didn't have any at the time) but my thinking is to try GatorGrip next time.

Being an epoxy fiend I may try that instead.

Stand by for furture reports on why epoxy isn't the best choice... :laugh:

20 hours ago, rob85 said:

hope you have all your paints prepared

Yes of course I do. 

Probably...I'll need to check!

I'm one of those people who talk about painting Rob but then remember they mightn't have actually bought the paint.

Unfortunately I did buy the paint to do the upstairs windowsills of the house. Does Dulux gloss gothrough an airbrush? :hmmm:

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Excellent to see her wings on dear boy.

Bit suprised at this sudden fledging myself tbh Johnny. (Don't they grow up quick!)

7 hours ago, perdu said:

As ordered I will not tell you I was holding the ladder steady

Armstrong: Houston, I'm nearly at the bottom of the ladder now...wait...there's....there's a guy down there pointing at my boots and holding up a sign saying 'No work clothing'....

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Annie is coming along beautifully, thanks

Nice.

A little more in the way of substance to report today Bill. :thumbsup2:

Idling through the Flightglobal archives last evening my eye was caught by this rousing advert:

2019-06-08_01-27-47

Once Annie's finished there's  the makings of a Dogfight Double in the display cabinet now! 😄

This is rather a poignant image as am currently re-reading John Terraine's Business in Great Waters: The U-boat Wars, 1916-1945 and he makes a couple of deeply hurtful remarks that call the martial prowess of the Anson into question. 

I've talked before how useful I find film clips as an aid to getting fixed into your head a mental map of the thing you're building. Plans and manuals are great of course but I like to see the thing turning and moving in space, especially when it comes to getting the overall profile of an aircraft 'right'. Can't remember if I posted the link before but there's a great piece of film up on the IWM site, shot in 1942 (at location unknown) on what looks like 16mm b/w stock:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060021034

This has been most helpful the last couple of days in getting the essentials of the wings dihedral correct and consequently ensuring a correct symmetry of the starboard nacelle with the port one of the kit. I can't get the link for the film to show in the page here but here as some views from the film that are also going to be useful in getting the belly profile corrected next.

The original footage was very low contrast so I've processed these tonally and due to the shutter speed producing blur at times, used an unsharp masking routine where possible. This shot is tantalizing from the way you just can't quite read the serial:

Great for the dihedral:

Useful view of the belly 'bulge' from the rear:

A low pass reveals the belly from the front:

Good reminder too of the various pitot and aerials yet to arise from brass:

Fortified by such visual goodness, the ground was prepared for checking the fit and alignment of the undercarriage in all three axes (the starboard nacelle is only taped into place here):

IMG_0968

I originally thought that the oleos went straight up vertically into the nacelle but from multiple photos it appears that there is *slight* rearward slant at the top as shown above.

A crucial factor is of course to make sure we aren't lopsided:

IMG_0969

The oleos were deliberately left slightly overlength in order that they could be trimmed to produce the correct height. Those Alien-like blobs along the wing root and middle fuselage seam are simply excess epoxy that hasn't been chiselled back flush yet. Note also the corrective strip of card in the front of the starboard wing root giving away how clumsy some of my filing had been!

At this stage I also cleaned up a mystery that had been bugging me about the (apparently) differing lengths of the radius arms that I'd mentioned previously. As on many occasions the oddity was  finally crystallized by measuring details in a photo - in this case working to remind me that way way back in time I'd begun filing off the rear underside of the port nacelle, intending to rebuild a new (and correctly sharper profile for this section) but had forgotten to do the same to the starboard one. The visual mismatch that had been irking me was the differing lengths of the necalle rears (red line) and not the radius arms (blue line):

IMG_0970

Another self-created puzzle solved! 🤦‍♂️

Feeling that wings and undercarriage were now in a safe state to proceed, next step was to fix the scratch built starboard nacelle permanently into place. As the engine bearer assembly has to be inserted into position through the rear of the nacelle, this required soldering it into place now once and for all:

IMG_0975

A quick eyeball with the Cheetah on top:

IMG_0972

Sufficient unto the day.

Right. A big blob of epoxy and some Washi tape later and the starboard nacelle is finally in its forever home:

IMG_0980

The custom vertical gluing rig you see here is in fact a most blatant example of product placement:

IMG_0981

A tin of Campbell's Perfect Tea, grown in East Africa, sold from Dublin; aside from some of S.D. Bell's choicer blends (put together in Belfast) no other tea is allowed into the Baronial canteen.

Anyone posting 'alternative' suggestions -  I'll see you outside in the car-park right?

For a Thermos of tea (and a jammie Dodger if you're good.) 😁

Thanks all for your forbearance of my witterings. :grouphug:

Hope you have a splendid evening.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 18

It's just great seeing all the various small (or big) masterpieces coming together and forming The Whole. :worthy: :clap2:

Nice jig, BTW. :thumbsup: If it originally were for coffee, it'd have been just perfect.... :rofl: :whistle:

Ciao

• Haha 1

Another wonderful update from Chez Baron.

That engine nacelle and bearer is a model in its own right, beautiful engineering work. I do hope you're going to be able to correct the starboard nacelle underside now that everything is in place!

Ian

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, giemme said:

Nice jig, BTW. :thumbsup: If it originally were for coffee, it'd have been just perfect.... :rofl: :whistle:

I could not agree more with that statement Giemme.

Damn fine work Tony.

Simon.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

A tin of Campbell's Perfect Tea, grown in East Africa, sold from Dublin; aside from some of S.D. Bell's choicer blends (put together in Belfast) no other tea is allowed into the Baronial canteen.

I‘d be honoured to receive your Graces thoughts on Barry‘s Tea.... 🧐

Edited by Stromness
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Nice jig, BTW. :thumbsup: If it originally were for coffee, it'd have been just perfect..

:rofl2:

I have been giggling at that for the last two minutes without being able to work out exactly why Giorgio!

Perfect my friend. 😄

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Damn fine work Tony.

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Another wonderful update from Chez Baron.

The momentum's here at the moment chaps - why fight it? 😅

I do hope you're going to be able to correct the starboard nacelle underside now that everything is in place!

Milliput + wet scalpel blade should reinstate those sections I reckon Ian. That finer white Milliput has a lovely creamy consistency, like Brie.

1 hour ago, Stromness said:

I‘d be honoured to receive your Graces thoughts on Barry‘s Tea.... 🧐

Barry's? 

'Tis but pish my friend - utter not the name of that foul dust.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/7/2019 at 1:44 PM, Heather Kay said:

Thats two things I've learned today, trouble is after reading the updates on this thread, I've already forgotten what the first thing was.

I've come to realise that understanding the true depth of meaning in the content of this build thread, is a bit like trying to make sense of a mathematical argument of a function, at a secret policeman's ball.

Excellent progress with Annie there!

Terry

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2019 at 1:13 AM, TheBaron said:

Great for the dihedral: 

Forgive me if I show too much ignorance, but wouldn't this only be useful if the aircraft is presented in flight? I know that modern airliners have lots of flex, and the wing begins to fly before the fuselage does. Once the wing has enough lift, it picks the fuselage up and off you go. This only recently came to my attention as I was watching modern planes take off.

That nacelle/engine bearer is a thing of beauty, absolutely gorgeous!

And then the coup de grad, the picture of the entire aircraft sitting upright in a tea tin, showing off the tiny scale and intricacies of this build. I could not replicate this build in 1/4th scale with an entire machine shop as my finger tips. Everytime I look over this build, I have to remind myself that this is 72nd, proving the impossible is in fact POSSIBLE!

Amazed as always!

Anthony

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

Forgive me if I show too much ignorance, but wouldn't this only be useful if the aircraft is presented in flight? I know that modern airliners have lots of flex, and the wing begins to fly before the fuselage does. Once the wing has enough lift, it picks the fuselage up and off you go. This only recently came to my attention as I was watching modern planes take off.

Only really true of large modern aircraft using modern materials. There is/was far less flex in a normal aircraft wing. They are basically rigid, but have to have a little built in flex or they'd snap.

Ian

• Thanks 2

On 6/8/2019 at 10:34 PM, TheBaron said:

Milliput + wet scalpel blade should reinstate those sections I reckon Ian. That finer white Milliput has a lovely creamy consistency, like Brie.

Hmmmmm 🤔 tell me do you have to blend two parts on the smooth one? 

Great work by the way, we’ll impressed. 🤩 Johnny

• Like 1
  • Haha 1