Listening to the Solstice

The engines are absolute beauts! very impressed with your prop sculpting. This is flying along now Tony.

i use imgur now as it’s free with no cap and I can create a post with embedded pics on my phone. Only thing is all my photos are public and people can comment and up vote on them... and sometimes I get distracted by amusing animal vids when I’m supposed to be uploading photos.

Rob 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

i use imgur

Maybe you can explain why all photos have to be linked? I figured it had to be either A. Too many photos being uploaded that were copyright infringements, so linking removes that problem, or B. Not enough space on the BM server to handle all the pictures, or C. All of the above?

I don't know what service I use, tried canons software/cloud, horrible app and slow server. Now I am trying flicker I think, but I don't have any build logs yet. I gut has no limits and it's free? Does the chinese communist party own the site? Nothing that valuable is "free", one of the reasons I have stayed off Facebook for all these years.

Cheers,

Anthony

PS. Sorry Tony, got distracted, with all the lipstick and charges being dropped, I kind of lost my head a bit! A lot! OK, been off my rocker for a few decades now, but makes life that much more colorful!

• Haha 1

Gobsmacked at the engines! Sorry to be a bit crude with the vocab but really I cannot think of anything more erudite that would express my views. The metal propellors look very good too - and I thought that carving them from wood was hard enough.

Just one lesson after another i new and interesting techniques - a real joy of a build thread.

P

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stalker6Recon said:

Maybe you can explain why all photos have to be linked? I figured it had to be either A. Too many photos being uploaded that were copyright infringements, so linking removes that problem, or B. Not enough space on the BM server to handle all the pictures, or C. All of the above?

I don't know what service I use, tried canons software/cloud, horrible app and slow server. Now I am trying flicker I think, but I don't have any build logs yet. I gut has no limits and it's free? Does the chinese communist party own the site? Nothing that valuable is "free", one of the reasons I have stayed off Facebook for all these years.

Cheers,

Anthony

PS. Sorry Tony, got distracted, with all the lipstick and charges being dropped, I kind of lost my head a bit! A lot! OK, been off my rocker for a few decades now, but makes life that much more colorful!

Not too sure if it has anything to do with the Chinese communist party to be honest.... I’m not that knowledgable..... but it’s basically like instagram... so maybe.... if it is them they have a great sense of humour, or mine is just poor.

you have to link because of server space to my knowledge. But that sentence is as far as my, again limited, knowledge goes 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Rob

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

Sometimes I wonder why he buys the kits at all. It looks like the end result is 90:10 scratch/kit. We could probably give him a few parts from our spares box, and he would build

Yep, as I said pages before. Only the loop antenna and some mass balances on the wings will survive here.

And once again I thought: This is not my beautiful model, this not my beautiful vacu former, this is not my beautiful engine, these are not my beautiful interiors.  And you may tell yourself: Letting the days go by, let the details flow................ :christmas:

So Tony:

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

On 5/24/2019 at 9:57 PM, giemme said:

:gobsmacked:  

That blue face still always makes me think that it's the 'lack of oxygen' emoji Giorgio!

(I'm going to have to make a 'far too kind' emoji to reply to you if this keeps up!)

On 5/24/2019 at 11:26 PM, The Spadgent said:

So you lost the props? Simply by accident? Just had to make them again did you.

It sounds completely unbelievable I know Johnny. :whistle:

If I told you an engine was mising for three days despite me having built the blighter, then that might give an indication of the chaos that has currently enveloped the work-space.

I'd post a picture but then it would only turn into the ritual 'that's not messy/you should see my bench' threads and there's only so much human squalor a sensitive soul can bear.... 😆

On 5/24/2019 at 11:26 PM, The Spadgent said:

Aaand what the hey with Flickr?

Several weeks of their patronising 'Bad Panda' messages when finding you cannot access your own photographs (about twice a week on average) has not been a useful service, hence the ill-humour. 

On 5/25/2019 at 6:29 AM, Stalker6Recon said:

Funny how things just "go missing"

People too.

(Just saying.)

:rofl2:

On 5/25/2019 at 6:29 AM, Stalker6Recon said:

but watching him work is like being in the viewing room at Harvard medical school

I'm not an actual doctor Anthony.

To any patients who may have been given the wrong impression I say this: 'Happy to refund your money in full.' 👨‍⚕️

On 5/25/2019 at 6:48 AM, Heather Kay said:

so expect the service to be be a bit flakier than usual for a few days yet.

Server update entirely understandable Heather, but doesn't explain the prior issues mentioned in my reply to Johnny above. 

On 5/25/2019 at 7:39 AM, Massimo said:

Haven't followed for a while and....WHAT A GREAT PROGRESS!!!!

You've been a bit quiet Massimo. All well with you I hope my friend?

21 hours ago, hendie said:

:whistle: 

Well ye may whistle, son of Caledonia. :laugh: Away and polish yer door-handles...

-which are btw by far the loveliest fittings I ever expect to see on the forum.

(Until your next set!)

20 hours ago, limeypilot said:

There will no doubt be a second,

😄

I do hope not Ian: . it is a rather taxing business this in that any excessive filing could easily result in Disasters of the Shape Kind.

19 hours ago, rob85 said:

i use imgur now as it’s free with no cap

For how much longer I wonder Rob? :hmmm:

I don't have any problem paying for online hosting on the 'no-free-lunch' principle (stands to reason, nothing is free unless leveraged by exposure to intrusive advertising and data-harvesting...), but am suspicious at how vulnerable we are to a ransom situation once a body of our stuff is up there for free.

sometimes I get distracted by amusing animal vids when I’m supposed to be uploading photos.

Or in my case 'when I'm supposed to be doing...anything really!' :laugh:

17 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

Maybe you can explain why all photos have to be linked?

I would imagine you're on the money with option B Anthony. The forum servers only handling the posts/threads/indexing side of the affair - to host images, video &etc. on the server would be ruinously expensive in terms of the required drive space (as well as complexity).

Now I am trying flicker I think, but I don't have any build logs yet. I gut has no limits and it's free? Does the chinese communist party own the site?

Despite my current irritation with their service, the interface for Flickr is well-designed and straighforward to use. I don't know about the limitiations of space currently under their free service but I would recomend them as a paid service. It might alternatively be possible to link from your OneDrive cloud account if you use the MS service as well. Or indeed:

i use imgur now as it’s free with no cap and I can create a post with embedded pics on my phone.

But free never seems to last....

16 hours ago, pheonix said:

Sorry to be a bit crude with the vocab

I cannot imagine any circumstance in which you could be remotely described as 'crude' Mr. P. :nodding: 

Mine own periodic coarseness and vulgarity are by contrast a source of regular reprimand from Mrs. B as being 'unhelpful'.

16 hours ago, pheonix said:

new and interesting techniques - a real joy of a build thread.

Characteristically generous of you. Tbh, I deliberately bite off more than I can chew, less out of hubris than from a genuine curiosity to test one's self and abilities when confronted by a new (and not necessarily sane) creative problem. No doubt one of my genetic ancestors was the first to satisfy his curiosity about what the inside of a sabre-toothed tiger's mouth looked like, instantly regretting his inability to think through the process sufficiently vis-a-vis said feline only being asleep and not in fact dead.

Does the chinese communist party own the site?

My handler Yi-Fu has instructed me to say: 'No'.

13 hours ago, bbudde said:

Only the loop antenna and some mass balances on the wings will survive here.

They've already been 'lost'. I'll have to build replacements Benedikt. Clumsy of me. 😐

13 hours ago, bbudde said:

And once again I thought:

:clap2:

Slowly we are getting closer to being able to Close the Fuselage, so in anticipation of this the last few bouts of activity have involved touring the snag list for the remaining details requiring attention on the insides, starting with the folding seat across the aisle from the WO station:

IMG_0805

Due to the small contact areas between seat hing and frame I elected to solder that in place rather than trust to a weaker bond from glue.

Not overly apparent in the photo below is the fact that I've attached the Vickers gun to the gun arm in its 'ready for ops' position.

IMG_0806

There's a section in the maintenance manual that helpfully outlines this procedure, also indicating that when not in imminent need of use, said Vickers was stowed barrell-down in some spring clips in the fuselage aft of the turret. The ammunition drums I'm not going to bother with as these are invisible down inside the walls of the fuselage so far that you'll have to exercise your imagination.

Oil tank added to its brackets behind the firewall:

IMG_0816

Rack of air bottles now assembled and headphones attached to the radio set:

IMG_0815

I can confirm to @Ex-FAAWAFU ( who is the divil himself in such matters) that the headset is indeed accurately plugged in to the socket at lower right....

Also glued-in is the bomb-aimers cushion and floor inside the the noseso that final test-fitting of the framework could begin:

IMG_0807

IMG_0810

Gleaming at the back on the inside of the frame dividing the windows from the rear door of the cockpit you might just make out one of the cabin fire extinguishers:

IMG_0809

According the the manual this is a No.3 type methyl bromide affair which, I understand, were of a brass appearance at this stage of the war. There's a nice illustration of it in this equally fascinating graphic from Flight magazine, published in February of 1940, ust a few short months before this mission took place:

1940 - 0459

Having made mine from plastic runner turned in the Dremel, of course I had no brass paint :shrug:so experimented by using a burnt sienna oil wash over white aluminium lacquer to approximate appearances. That seems to have worked better then I'd hoped, with the oil wash/lacquer combination giving a nice optical depth to the surface that I don't think a brass paint colour alone would have yielded at such a small scale as this.

Getting - as they say - 'proper busy' inside here now that the last details are coming together:

IMG_0808

Time to start gluing the internal framework into place:

IMG_0811

No - we're not all buttoned-up yet. So far in this shot the framework has only been epoxied into place against the port side of the aircraft: I've clamped it all together like this in order to keep it correctly aligned whilst the glue cures overnight. I had to glue it to the port side first as there are still the WO and Nav's chairs to add, as well as the radio and oxygen rack and these can only be fixed into place on the ports side once the framework has been attached there first. Those will be the next items to be taken care of then, and we can move on, hopefully by midweek, to finally gluing the fuselage together and whacking the windshield on. :fingerscrossed:

Thanks for dropping by as always!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 15

Absolutely astonishing.  I have to remind myself regularly that this is 1/72. 

Disappointed to see that the headphones are not yet labelled L & R - but I am sure that’s coming soon.  (On the other hand they weren’t exactly stereo!)

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Vickers was stowed barrell-down

You worked too hard and the results prove this, so stowing the vickers would be an insult to your mastery of blacksmithing. I have to remind myself that this is 72nd scale, not some behemoth that is easy to detail up (for most of the modelers here at least).

I can't help but be saddened that this build log will be the only visible record of the intense work that was done, shamefully hidden for the most part by the fuselage. Have you reconsidered closing her up, with a change to a diorama of a production line build of the subframes in a dark and dirty plant? I know, wishful thinking.

You and I are going to have to have a talk with regards to parts management. While it is a joy to see your hand made creations, one of these days, even you may lose something that can't be scratch built from a bunny rabbits tail and squirrel feathers, I know they don't have feathers, but if you needed squirrel feathers, you would find the ONLY one in existence, because that just who you are.

My effort to save the squirrel!

Anthony

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

some magical shots of the internal structure there. Nicely atmospheric.

it's great to finally see this all come together and I'm sure you'll breath a sigh of relief once the frame work is safely ensconced inside the fuselage, away from harm... no more worrying about dropping things on it or sitting on it any more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks very classy with the wine rack Tony

i alway remember as a cadet the difference between a camp with the army vs the RAF. Army was possibly a cooked breakfast but one egg, one sausage, one bacon.... RAF would let you pile you plate up and then you could get through at least 5 mini pack of coco pops before they started frowning, as a 14 year old I loved it.

its all really coming together with the paint and detail Tony looks ace!

Rob

• Like 4

The interiors are just glorious with their paint and weathering on! :worthy: :clap:

Please take some propre RFI pics of this stage, before burying it all inside the fuselage.

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Getting close! 

I have the same add for fire extinguishing thingies in my Sept 1940 copy of flight. I'm guessing the roll of honour pages in my copy are a little longer though......

Ian

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I have to remind myself regularly that this is 1/72. 

And I have to remind myself that I thought this was going to be 'a 6-month build, tops'.... 😄

20 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Disappointed to see that the headphones are not yet labelled L & R - but I am sure that’s coming soon.

What font would the lettering have been done in? :whistle:

20 hours ago, bbudde said:

That looks more than busy,

Cheers Benedikt. :thumbsup2:

19 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

You and I are going to have to have a talk with regards to parts management.

You sound just like my hygienist....

19 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

even you may lose something that can't be scratch built 

As predictions go, that's a pretty safe one. :laugh:

18 hours ago, hendie said:

Nicely atmospheric.

<thinks> There's a fog machine at work...?. :hmmm:😆

'Anson in Summer Mists'

18 hours ago, hendie said:

no more worrying about dropping things on it or sitting on it any more

That's been my guiding principle as a parent of children also.

18 hours ago, rob85 said:

Army was possibly a cooked breakfast but one egg, one sausage, one bacon.... RAF would let you pile you plate up and then you could get through at least 5 mini pack of coco pops before they started frowning

I can't work out does that mean that the RAF had a better way of attracting the brightest recruits Rob or was it just that the Army only wanted skinny lads...

18 hours ago, giemme said:

Please take some propre RFI pics of this stage, before burying it all inside the fuselage.

Will do amigo. :thumbsup2:

16 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I'm guessing the roll of honour pages in my copy are a little longer though......

Quite.

One of the most heartbreaking aspects of those pages is the number where 'missing' is amended to 'killed in action' in the following issue...

13 hours ago, Hamden said:

As usual

Mrs. B will be happy to debate you regarding the level of organization I generally apply to life Roger. 😄

12 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

All looking very nice inside.

Knew I'd end up an interior decorator. #shoveoverllewelynbowen

9 hours ago, perdu said:

(soon be shut and becoming Anson)

What sounds would be appropriate for that Bill?

Soft-timbred peel of bells?

A few bars of The Lark Ascending?

😁

Thanks for your comments lads: off to the dentist in a few mins to let the old fang-mangler loose on a filling that needs doing.

Wonder does he have the same vacformer? Must check.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

to let the old fang-mangler loose on a filling that needs doing.

All roads leads to Rome, Tony.

der-jaguar-des-briten-hat-das-ortsschild

This poor guy from Newcastle chose the wrong one thanks to his navi and got the little bavarian version😄.

Edit: To avoid misunderstandings This guy is well  He was irritated not being in Italy, stopped, forgot to pull his handbrake and his car moved downwards onto the sign.

Ps: Tony, you can delay these hings, but at some point when you go up the wall, you will go by your own choice. Ask me how I know. So better sooner than later. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

A small delay will now occur in order to allow me time to find the words to describe this build .....................

Still searching...............

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Can't find any suitable adjectives that do it justice I'm afraid, so how about just ..........bloody good build in a bloody good blog!

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I can't work out does that mean that the RAF had a better way of attracting the brightest recruits Rob or was it just that the Army only wanted skinny lads...

I think it was more a visual representation of where they prioritised their funding! (Or maybe the level of support given to the different forces)  Even the worst RAF station was nothing in comparison to nesscliffe or sennybridge, very run down! And a poor breakfast, I must do a review on trip advisor....

Rob

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 26/05/2019 at 12:32, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Disappointed to see that the headphones are not yet labelled L & R

Surprised you Navy guys didn't know which ear to put your 'phones on Crisp - did you have to label the backs of your flying gloves too....?! :whistle: :winkgrin:

:coat:on...go...

Keith

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Surprised you Navy guys didn't know which ear to put your 'phones on Crisp - did you have to label the backs of your flying gloves too....?! :whistle: :winkgrin:

:coat:on...go...

Keith

We did.  But our Baronial friend isn’t building a Naval aircraft.  Hope that helps.

• Haha 7