Listening to the Solstice

Great modelling, cute kittens and a dose of the Pistols to top it all off! The Martian's cup runneth over!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:
On 5/12/2019 at 1:22 AM, corsaircorp said:

It will make me hungry again !!

You wicked wicked Belgian. :rofl2:

Oh CC, then this one is much better for you: A big "Kutze"

post2.jpg

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 7

On 5/12/2019 at 7:09 PM, Spookytooth said:

A smart move beefing up the joints Tony.

You know yourself from experience Simon that bunging parts onto flat surfaces can be a movable feast. Quite literally.... 😄

On 5/12/2019 at 7:09 PM, Spookytooth said:

Hope all is well with one`s back?

Doing Ok - cheers! I stride the Earth as a mighty Titan once more.

In carpet slippers and a padded shirt due to it being a bit chilly today.

On 5/12/2019 at 7:26 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Did you say paint

Ahhh now don't be getting carried away Chris. I did mentioned primer, but that whole paint thing is freaky.

I had that Yves from down our street round last evening and it took ages getting the EDSG out of all the nooks and crannies afterwards.

lBOJNuvSwLO_--b-JC6SfA%252FYK%2BPH_0365.jpg&width=1200&quality=80

On 5/12/2019 at 7:40 PM, giemme said:

You should imagine it as a stadium hail

Hold up your cigarette lighter so I can see where you are in the crowd Giorgio! :laugh:

On 5/12/2019 at 8:31 PM, bbudde said:

Not sure,

Neither am I Benedikt. The semiotics of that has me entirely stumped... :rofl:

On 5/12/2019 at 8:52 PM, Martian Hale said:

Great modelling, cute kittens and a dose of the Pistols to top it all off! The Martian's cup runneth over!

😁

Now I know how we can terraform Mars!

On 5/13/2019 at 7:04 PM, Stromness said:

Why does this make me think of Pink Floyd?

Catom Heart Mother? :coat:

Sooooo two mega-busy days left me with some respite today until the next wave approacheth so time was spent working through the last few items on the snag list prior to priming the interior and existing parts. I'm deliberately leaving issues like making aerials and landing lights &etc. until after painting the interior and closing-up the fuselage - that way hopefully focus can be kept on unifying inside first, then out.

33984103268_29b6c24c4e_c.jpg

This picture doesn't on the face of it look like much has changed since last time I showed you this region bugt what I've done is modify the original framework so that the azimuth ring of the turret could then be soldered permanently into place as seen here now. There was a whole lot of repetitious meausring and offering-up to the fuselage parts involved to make sure that the ring would be at the right level compared to the opening that it sits into when viewed from the outside. I forgot to take a pic of it in situ in the aircraft but can can confirm that both both it and the cupola have been successfully rationalized to sit at the right height poking up through the fuslage:

33984103258_0f46de4324_c.jpg

There's also the rear bulkhead that has the door in it between rear cockpit and AG position but I'm going to fix that in to place after painting the framework as it'll be messy trying to paint/highlight the axe and stuff through the bars...

I  mentioned the magneto switches in a previous post. These of course switch on the magnets that cause the aircraft to be attracted up into the sky by the clouds, the switches for which are located up on the windshield in front of the pilot. These switches (on the Mk.1 anyway) look in photographs not dissimilar to this:

33984263448_5b936390e7_c.jpg

-an old Edwardian light switch that I salvaged from an abandoned country house in the midlands here in Ireland many years ago. There's an engineered elegance of purpose about such items that has never been surpassed by modern designers imho. Anyway, my less-detailed version for the Anson:

47861468301_58685e861b_c.jpg

It's an odd-looking arrangement, the two switches side-by side overlaid by a horizontal strip which in my ignorance I'm assuming let the pilot flip both switches simulateously as he leant forward. I did stick it into place on the windshield with GG before belatedly realizing that the whiute unpainted back of it would be a problem staring out from inside the cockpit so it was subsequently whipped back off for painting first.

Holes to accomadate the mounting pins of the oil coolers were also drilled and the parts test-fitted:

47071948814_079d207f14_c.jpg

Again, these parts wil lbe added after paintingto avoid any (in my case inveitable!) mishaps during the handling process...

Wilst in this region, I drilled out the hole for the starting handle also and test-fitted the exhaust to check the visuals:

47071948854_371261010c_c.jpg

That crimp in the pipe won't be visible one the cowling's on:

33984103378_5daa6595a3_c.jpg

You can see I've some minor repairs to make to the opening the exhaust stick through as with the plastic now so paper-thin in that region, a flake of it crumbled off whilst I was filing the edge. Although the engine on this side is not going to be exposed as the startboard one is, the cut out section under the front of the nacelle (to accomadate the exit of the exhaust from the engine cylinders) is visible enough in photographs that it needs to be cut from the kit moulding here.

Although I barely buy plastic these days, there's no denying how wasteful some of my processes like vaforming are regarding the amount of plastic waste left over afterwards. Repurposed, it does provide a series of paint and epoxy-mixing trays that I don't think will be running out any time soon:

33984103358_d24ed576a2_c.jpg

Used wisely, any periodic vacforming jobs should thus keep me self-sufficient in mixing palettes for the forseeable.

After attending to those nacelle modification then, I need to clear the bench and start getting this lot mounted up and ready for the Big Prime:

47861468391_76c7248401_c.jpg

The Baronial Summer Collection. Costume jewellery for the summer beam hunting enthusiast.

This offer is not available in the shops.

:bye: chums.

Tony

• Like 23

There’s a reason why I haven’t made any progress with my own version of the turret. It’s because the bar keeps getting higher, and I can’t quite reach it without a set of step ladders!

Some very lovely work going on here, Tony. Very lovely indeed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I find myself wondering why I missed THAT performance...

Unlike this performance which I am forever happy to have witnessed

Looking awfully well collected old bean, yes switches were of a different ilk those days

Nowadays a hard, Paddington stare can reduce a switch to plastic infirmity

(Thinks... Must replace dodgy kitchen light switch soon)  :(

And oh yes the power supply socket here in the computer suite

Hobby room

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

It’s because the bar keeps getting higher

Agreed 100% :worthy: Impressive job, Tony :clap::clap: 

That said, hurry up with that primer, you lazy boy! :rofl::rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

This offer is not available in the shops.

:bye: chums. 

I place the first bid on the battle axe, 500 pounds of raw sterling silver!

That said, I am still pretty unclear what in the world you are actually building, but nevertheless, it is stunning to tag along!

Main lesson from my months of watching builds of all kinds, nothing is "impossible" anymore, probably never was. Honing that skill set, a wholly different story for certain, but you never get good at doing things you refuse to try!

That my new motto, the "right tool for the job" is too boring anyway!

Cheers,

Anthony

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

without a set of step ladders!

By the standards being displayed, a step ladder won't even get us into sub basement 17, septic systems!

This is beyond passion building, a bit on the crazy side, but I love it anyway!

Anthony

Edited by Stalker6Recon
Spell check
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

But those little snagging jobs need doing.

Progress made in that direction this afternoon Simon. :thumbsup2:

5 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

It’s because the bar keeps getting higher

Because of peer pressure? Catch-22 Heather! :rofl2:

Either that or there's been some recent subsidence around the bar...

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It's handy to have all your little bits sorted out for later on in the build.

It has taken me this long to learn Adrian! :banghead:

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Must replace dodgy kitchen light switch soon)  :(

And oh yes the power supply socket here in the computer suite

By coinicidence I got passed this by a colleague in the internal mail last week Bill:

https://www.hpmuseum.net/exhibit.php?content=Odds And Sods

Considering they all looked like the shiny future once upon a time I feel somewhat archaic now browsing through them myself.....

(Hope you got surge protection on your computer plugs.)

4 hours ago, giemme said:

That said, hurry up with that primer, you lazy boy!

I heard you from here Giorgio  :rofl:

(see below)...

24 minutes ago, Stalker6Recon said:

you never get good at doing things you refuse to try!

Can I have that in Latin Anthony? 😸

You've given me a motto for the family crest of arms now! (Crossed Soldering Irons with Brass Tube Sinister and SIHRSC Rampant)

20 minutes ago, Stalker6Recon said:

This is beyond passion building, a bit on the crazy side,

I'd feel a huge sense of personal shame is it was in any way associated with rationality.

Right. From the bellowing of the mob I've had the skates on and finished off this manifestation of the snag list.

Rebate burrowed out from the front of the starboard starboard nacelle: plastic uber-thick in this region so diamond-disked out and sanding flush:

47811176682_eefbd043c4_c.jpg

Also added there is the wiggly bit that forms the first part of the exhaust ring emerging from the engine that sits into it.

One shot from last evening I forgot to post earlier was this:

33984103338_7127b3264f_c.jpg

The etch door being epoxied to some transparency.

The idea being that this would give the door its required thickness and a window at the same time:

47811176712_c37cd5850a_c.jpg

I Oramasked this side of the window prior so that it wouldn't get any glue on it, need to add a similar mask to the back then it too is ready for the next stage.

Next time I post (maybe tomorrow evening, let's see how the time goes), darkness should have descended over the shiny metal in the nicest possible way via my favourite:

Alclad-II-Black-Primer-Microfiller-120ml-600x600.png

Ciao chums.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 18

9 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The semiotics of that has me entirely stumped.

Hello Tony, Nice pogress so far and I also like to see some paint on it. My old english teacher back in the mid 80' ( 8 or 9 class highschool) stumped me and other fellows also with teaching us some  pidgin english calling a "Schraubenmutter" a "mama belong screw" etc. So, no need to be confused. Cheers

• Thanks 1

masterful.  simply masterful.

The coloring in bit should be really good too from everything I've seen so far.  I hope you don't go outside the lines too much

It's going to be interesting to see how you capture the daguerreotype of black spindly things on your trademark dark black background in the black dark, without much light

Lovely as this turretfest may be my dear Baron, I think you are doing yourself, and by extension, us who frequent this thread,  a disservice....

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

by not going the extra mile and showing your skills off to their true potential...

Stainley.jpg?resize=1050,1050

just think... Ansons with Daleks instead of turrets - the Avro Exterminator!

go on.. you know you want to!

Edited by hendie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 11

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

See now I saw this.

40898802273_6a3e4827d5_b.jpg

interesting how it’s all Doctor who based. 🤔.

Seriously though Tony you are surpassing yourself with this wonderful work. Part

of me doesn’t want you to prime her.

ahhhhh who am I kidding.

Primer. Primer. Primer. 🥳

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

17 hours ago, rob85 said:

As ever excellent work Tony. It will be a shame to cover that beautiful frame in primer but needs must! I

Ta Rob. :thumbsup2: You're quite right of course that sometimes 🖌️feels like a step too far!

16 hours ago, bbudde said:

So, no need to be confused.

Thanks Guru! 😄

16 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

sticks like **** to a blanket.

:laugh: I would love to see that printed on the bottle label as a customer testimonial!

15 hours ago, hendie said:

I hope you don't go outside the lines too much

I went outside the lines years ago hendie....

It's going to be interesting to see how you capture the daguerreotype of black spindly things on your trademark dark black background in the black dark, without much light

It's gonna be a conceptual think-piece. Just a black square and everyone too afraid to admit they can't see anything in it. :winkgrin:

Ansons with Daleks instead of turrets

Paging Mr. @Pete in Lincs

Mr. @Pete in Lincs to Reception.

Job for you. 😈

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

interesting how it’s all Doctor who based.

Ain't it just Johnny!

Moebius scared the blinking stuffing out of me back in the day.

Oooeerrrr...it's happening all over again. 😱

No more messing then.

Optimus Primer day today.

One job tidied away last night was to redo the exhaust ring for the starbooard engine. Having done a much better job on the port one where it emerges from the engine (and requires that cutpout in the nacelle underside) I simply had to go back and make a better first of its starboard counterpart:

33991140428_62af79f63b_c.jpg

This necessitated adding a new and more accurately-shaped end part where the first part of the exhaust emerges from the engine and then snakes round into the main circle:

33991140448_8b2b0580ea_c.jpg

I also had to remove and resolder 3 or 4 of the other outlets as a result of this operation but the end result was I feel a more satisfactory effort.

Getting all the parts laid out in the spray booth earleir it finally hit me what I've been doing here for nearly a whole year. Basically I've made a model kit. :doh:

47868456771_21dd41c47f_c.jpg

The side windows were also masked both sides in preparation for paint too:

47816190312_a1ee9daba1_c.jpg

Enough natter or @giemme will be giving off to me again.

Now with added black:

33991140518_a75dd3a4b7_c.jpg

I've always had problkems keeping tiny bits from blowing away so no messing about here, double-sided sticky tape to keep it all in place:

47868456851_fc7dbc82fc_c.jpg

The Alclad Black Primer just seems to sit so beautifully onto forms, no matter what material they're made from:

47816190362_5b73e80d26_c.jpg

Also merciless of course at showing up every stray hair and fleck of dust on surfaces that still need further attention:

32924258667_0d0c9f18d6_c.jpg

Overall though there's not too much to do on most of these parts bar a rub down and polish up:

46952187005_25a82d7247_c.jpg

The bigger bits:

33991140668_8f4461fb8e_c.jpg

I know the lower part of the rear cockpit still looks messy around the wing root but I want to wait and put the fuselage together with the framework in place to see how much of it is visible and/or needs some filling:

47868456991_c9a0030803_c.jpg

The framework itself comes up rather nicely under black, with only a few bits needing sight of a file and some W&D along the edges in places:

47868456901_df32f5619b_c.jpg

A better view of the front cockpit:

33991140748_16ab6b289e_c.jpg

-and the AG's eyrie:

33991140758_f4c420fc83_c.jpg

So.

The state of play at the moment with anything remotely connected to the interior under primer now:

33991140678_a674de4bfe_c.jpg

I'll come back to that with fresh eyes tomorrow and make a note of what needs tidying up.

Thanks for looking!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

20 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Basically I've made a model kit. 

Yeh right, as simple as that....!! 

Looks wonderful with a bit of paint splashed on it Tony (not that it didn't naked of course!)

And talking of which....

On 16/05/2019 at 11:37, TheBaron said:

lBOJNuvSwLO_--b-JC6SfA%252FYK%2BPH_0365.jpg&width=1200&quality=80

...I love the looks on the faces of the boys in the band!!

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I went outside the lines years ago hendie....

I knew you were a couple eggs shy of a coo-cooes nest! But aren't we all?

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

love the looks on the faces of the boys in the band!

You can tell who the real men are in the band, they knew to wear sunglasses, they could enjoy the view and maintain that "I'm too cool to be hot and bothered by naked chicks, they follow me everywhere!"

Spectacular creation there Tony, must be hard to set the bar when YOU ARE the bar!

Cheers,

Anthony

• Like 2
  • Haha 2