Listening to the Solstice

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The strips of foil are about 0.5mm wide.

but everything else was hand cut due to the thin lengths of foil tending to clog the blade of the cutter.

you could've masked it y'know!

'pologies... couldn't resist that one.

The bulbous thing is looking rather fine, and quite sci-fyish in some respects

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Please can I join in congratulating you on a truly impressive turret and framing.The jig by the way is also first class - just the sort of thing that I use all the time! The tail wheel mounting is a mini-masterpiece of modelling too - just brilliant  work all round. Just wish I had the patience and skill to achieve some of this.

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bugger!

Now I will HAVE to do the tail wheel on the Battle.....but not for a while yet. Still awaiting the package from UK and I'm off for my hols tomorrow - Guernsey, then Aberdeen. It would have been quicker to have told the ole' man to keep all my bits so I could pick them up!

Ian

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 6:15 PM, Stalker6Recon said:

I happened to find the trays in my boot box.  As a sample pic, this is what they look like.

886b0125-436c-4be3-843f-c891c93d7b9a._CR

Your teeth do look incredibly white in that photograph Anthony but are you sure about that shade of lipstick?

On 5/4/2019 at 6:53 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Looking after the cat is lovely and now she's rewarded you with some cute and cuddly kittens.

They're just starting to totter around on their little feet in the basket Chris; reckon it'll be 2-3 days and we'll have escapees... 😁

On 5/4/2019 at 7:34 PM, Spookytooth said:

Great Scot man, you are now framing it in foil.

Blame hendie! :laugh:

On 5/4/2019 at 7:54 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Cracking globular greenhouse, Gromit.

Cracking it is one thing I've been trying earnestly to avoid today Pete! 🤦‍♂️ The part flexes so easily that it's an exercise in restraint. And patience. Not my foremost characteristics...

On 5/4/2019 at 8:39 PM, hendie said:

you could've masked it y'know!

:rofl2: Any more o' that blether and  I'll gie ya ya heed to play with chum.

On 5/5/2019 at 9:18 AM, giemme said:

Same for the tail wheel, of course

I only did it to annoy Ian! :evil_laugh:

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Bugger!

Now I will HAVE to do the tail wheel on the Battle

:winkgrin:

On 5/5/2019 at 9:54 AM, keefr22 said:

That tailwheel.....

That  turret.... 

That very nice man for saying so! :thanks:

On 5/5/2019 at 10:14 AM, bbudde said:

As above.

Ta Benedikt. :thumbsup2:

18 hours ago, pheonix said:

The jig by the way is also first class - just the sort of thing that I use all the time!

Don't think that I haven't been learning from you Pheonix! :nodding: 😄

18 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

And some pretty nifty make-up skills from @Stalker6Recon, assuming those are his tooth trays...

He's making us all feel dowdy. :laugh:

Some time yesterday I'd used the buck from the vaforming to shaqpe some flattened brass tube for runners, and soldered on a fresh pair of 'ears' at the bacl:

40823094233_55c046d485_c.jpg

Being a Bank Holiday today I lay in bed reading late and guzzling pints of tea til mid-morning, intending to have a crack at the central door of the turret and imagining it would be a simple job to handle. 

Don't you just love the way that hubris steals in with a smile and soft words? :laugh:

The plan had been to plunge mould a strip of heated PETG over the buck like this in one simple, elegant operation:

47789382111_3835ce3c8b_c.jpg

The first attempt looked pretty spot until on examining the piece closer I realized it was actually concave in the centre (when the actual piece is convex, matching the curve of the dome). I tried the process several times, trying my damndest to shape the edges down before cooling but always with the same result (possibly from the strip contracting as it cooled?), curled up edges. Application of a heat gun ditto. A bit like a muscle contracting, the edges would curl on cooling.

Second approach was to sand one of these plunges to the correct profile and Micromesh it smooth again. It kind of looked ok but didn't match the standard I'd set for the piece so in the bin with that and off for a sulk and a snooze. As so often with such matters, sleeping on the problem let the neurons do their thing:

d1mrNSz.gif

That wiggly bit in the centre of the frame is the actual idea emerging to use the dapping set:

40823094123_6dbca2b940_c.jpg

A simple matter of just heating the knob and pressing it into the cavity to mould the curve correctly along three axes. 

Vwullah:

40823094143_150b84b8b1_c.jpg

Don't you just love it when you leave your brain alone and it works stuff out while you're away?

As I'm going to have the turret posed with the central door half-raised (a June night, probably warm inside the aircraft after the heat of the day...), the door needed trimming:

47000197634_a341dcfdee_c.jpg

-and framing:

47789382231_475ac7df1d_c.jpg

All trussed-up now for the night whilst the GS-Hypo does it's thing gluing the door into place between the runners:

40823094223_0827081462_c.jpg

Another busy week ahead as I'm heading in to hospital for a back operation (repeat of the nerve-blocking operation I had last July...) on Friday and need to get stuff at work taken care of. Don't think me rude if there's no response for a few days as a consequence.

Hope all of you had a good weekend!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 19

Yep, good luck with the op, Tony.

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

As I'm going to have the turret posed with the central door half-raised (a June night, probably warm inside the aircraft after the heat of the day..

So I take this aircraft wasn't stationed in the UK.... :rofl: :coat:

Ingenious job on that turret door

:worthy:

Ciao

• Haha 3

Dapping PETG.  That would never have occurred to me; truly you are a Baron among bodgers improvisers!

Get well soon & we’ll look forward to seeing you in the other side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Yep, good luck with the op, Tony.

So I take this aircraft wasn't stationed in the UK.... :rofl: :coat:

Ingenious job on that turret door

:worthy:

Ciao

Believe it or not, but I get in UK for 5 days of museums and air shows...

It was in '90, we came back with solid sunburns... It was Cambridgeshire, first days of May....

Sooooo !! It can happen too....

Hello Dear Baron !

Best of thoughts and finger crossed for your op !!

Great framing on that turret !!

Take up your time and take care !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

sure about that shade of lipstick? 

I knew that the gun metal color would just send you guys into a frenzy, and I am just not that..........that kind of girl!

FullSizeRender_3_1024x1024.jpg?v=1538685

• Haha 8

simple matter of just heating the knob

Oooooo Matron!!!

Great work Tony.  I hope that your operation goes well fella and you enjoy a speedy recovery.

Keep up the good work.

All the best

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hospital for a back operation (repeat of the nerve-blocking operation I had last July...)

Let me guess, this is where they take a needle, have you lay on one side, usually with the bad side up, curl into a ball to open up your vertebrae just so the doctor can take a large bore needle and shove it between the bones and douse the disc (usually L5/S1) with hydrocortisone/steroids, making you want to go play the back 9 at Agusta, because for the first time in nearly a year, you have almost no pain in your back?

That is just a wild guess, never heard of this procedure myself. Wink wink!

Actually, I have a really funny story regarding such procedures, but not sure if it is considered "polite conversation" for such gentlemen as yourselves.

Anthony

PS. That has become a masterpiece of trial, learning and perseverance!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Believe it or not, but I get in UK for 5 days of museums and air shows...

It was in '90, we came back with solid sunburns... It was Cambridgeshire, first days of May....

Sooooo !! It can happen too....

Certainly can.  I got sunburned through overcast on a rainy day at Fairford while attending the 2009 RIAT.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 2

cracking turret and door.    we need to stop giving you hints and nudges... you're showing us all up with your impossibly intricate soldering/foiling/dapping/curving scratchery sorcery

but damn, that does look fine. 

and oops forgot to mention... hope the op goes well

Edited by hendie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Incredible stuff as ever Tony.

Hope the Op goes well. Have had a couple of procedures on my back over the years so can empathise entirely.

Terry

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

Certainly can.  I got sunburned through overcast on a rainy day at Fairford while attending the 2009 RIAT.

No no no

That my dear friend, was RUST

Happened to me many times in Britain

Simply rust, why d'you think Hucknell named the band Simply Rust but the PR wonks said NAY?

Tony you know we hope all is well mate, crossing of digits ensues 'til you report  "all's well"

• Haha 4