Listening to the Solstice

5 hours ago, rob85 said:

Must be all the scratch cooked risotto you make!

Yep, that's what I meant :)

I cook risotto (and rice in general) quite often, so no trouble with rice packets, whatever their style is... :whistle: :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 4/2/2019 at 10:39 AM, keefr22 said:

There's an end to sellotape? Who knew.....?!

Especially important once upon a time in Australia where I believe that it used to be called called Durex....*

*source of this information is a half-remembered Jasper Carrot sketch so may not be entirely accurate.

On 4/2/2019 at 11:08 AM, corsaircorp said:

The guy who run in green stockings.

You're getting confused with the Hulk's less masculine brother Davina Banner now CC.

On 4/2/2019 at 11:32 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

[Crisp: born & raised in Notts!]

As indeed was William Lee, inventor of the stocking frame:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lee_(inventor)

Stockings must course through the county's veins....

On 4/2/2019 at 12:03 PM, rob85 said:

I only get my rice from M&S, easy open and resealable don’t you know

'This is not just any rice. This is Rob's Rice.'

On 4/2/2019 at 4:01 PM, limeypilot said:

I find the easiest way to tell is to go to the local drinking establishment. If they lock you in and won't let you go until you fall over, you're in Ireland!

It's why there have never been any great escapologists in this country Ian: there's never been any incentive to try!

On 4/2/2019 at 10:16 PM, The Spadgent said:

Happy belated birthday Tony. 

Thanks Johnny. :thumbsup2:

On 4/2/2019 at 10:16 PM, The Spadgent said:

Do I smell paint ? Do I?

It might be the Old Spice. It's quite an old bottle... 😜

A quick update over Friday coffee then.

I hate working transparencies as a rule (on account of the perennial anxiety about not scratching them or getting them gummed up by a grubby-mitted moi at the bench) however, came the day that I finally had to face cutting out the beautiful Aeroclub transparencies into shape for a fit. This I simply did with a small pair of nail scissors, which I find more reliable on such shapes than a blade, which can slip on the radii:

32598606417_6048ce8e0e_c.jpg

This is a particularly important job at this stage because adding the new brass windows at the sides means I need to be dead sure that the height of the roof is correct to mate with the windshield. Surely the the transparencies were designed to fit the kit you ask? Absolutely, but I'm conscious that with all the thinning and reshaping of cockpit windows that needed doing, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility to have introduced errors into the equation myself over the weeks.

Thankfully I seemed to have got that matter pretty much right:

46625676725_c95395d39f_c.jpg

Using Aeroclub stuff also gives me a certain feeling of reverence knowing that there's a finite supply of such modelling heritage around now, so I reallly really want to do right by it.

There is undoubtedly going to be a great deal of masochistic fun to be had masking all of the complex shapes and subdivisions both on the windshield and on the gun turret - in relation to which I modified @hendie's excellent technique that I nicked from seeing him do on his Lizzie build yonks back, here substituting one of Stanley's freshest for a saw blade:

32598606337_d8dfbf1f5d_c.jpg

I figured this ran less risk of tearing the fragile transparency whilst turning it against the blade and  this was indeed the case, producing a neat scored line all the way around the could then be turned into a slice.

You knew I'd immediately have to bung the gun mounting in for a look at this stage didn't you? :whistle:

46625676755_1f68b08085_c.jpg

Implanted in the fuselage, that should look very nice:

32598606357_1306476d4f_c.jpg

Wondering what to do with the turret's appearance. :hmmm: I think the sliding panel for the gun aperture will be in the closed position, so I'll have to build a curved, raised strip for that to add to the surface of the Aeroclub moulding; the Lewis gun itself I'd wondered about but having checked the kit moulding it looks to be such  a decent rendition that I can tart it up a little and include hanging inside. 

The new hexagonal window frames I simply folded up from flattened 0.8mm tubing for scale effect:

33664354918_3525ed96a5_c.jpg

These have now ben epoxied into place at the correct alignment with the interior framework:

32598606387_8bcfb9eff7_c.jpg

Won't have time for any more tomorrow as taking my eldest to the local university open day but hope to get back with something on Sunday.

Have a good start to ytour weekends!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 23

3 hours ago, KingTiger435 said:

oh sorry i didn't think i quoted the whole  thing! sorry! XD

Please note that you can edit your own post and remove the excess test. Yo ujust need to clik on "EDIT", located in between the "+" and "Quote" buttons at the end of your post. HTH :)

Tony, brassery and transparencies, this starts to sound sexy...  :Tasty: :rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Especially important once upon a time in Australia where I believe that it used to be called called Durex....*

*source of this information is a half-remembered Jasper Carrot sketch so may not be entirely accurate.

I've heard that myself, though I didn't know it came from Jasper Carrott.  His comment about where certain magazines are displayed in a shop still makes me smile.

Love the brasswork, exquisite stuff.

• Thanks 1

Great, Tony  and a nice visit with your lad at the Uni. He should taste, how it feels like and  tell you , if its something  for him.  (Maybe being  pushed through then). Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1

Transparencies looking very nice indeed Tony and I do like the cutting method for the turret glazing. The glazing framing too great work fella.

Did you wait until Mrs B was asleep to liberate some wiring ?

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Haha 1

Much belated happy birthday Tony! Rather late back on here as I’m still in Japan and only got back onto BM recently. Lots of evening catching up occurring over here. The Anson is coming along superbly.

Terry

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2019 at 11:45 AM, Spookytooth said:

Canopy fitting looks good Tony.

Have a great weekend sir.

And good luck with your eldest at Uni.

Most kind of you Simon - as always! 

It's always fascinating to see what detail they go into for prospective students nowadays , compared to the minimal three-line entries in course handbooks I remember from back in the early 80s when I applied. To be sitting next to one of your sons whilst he's going through this  same procedure makes you realize how the years are now catching up! 😄

On 4/5/2019 at 3:06 PM, giemme said:

Tony, brassery and transparencies, this starts to sound sexy...  :Tasty: :rofl: 

Dah-ling! You don't know the half of it! :rofl2:

On 4/5/2019 at 5:38 PM, CedB said:

Nice clear canopies Tony :)

Ta Ced. As a would be contender for the Britain's Got Tarnished crown my fingers are second-to-none at rendering opaque that which should be transparent! 

On 4/5/2019 at 7:13 PM, pheonix said:

Those transparancies and window frames really look the part. This is almost beginning to come together - with the engine details this is going to be some model! Cnnot wait to see more.

Kind of you P. :nodding:

It feels like I've gotten to the point after this morning's session that I have to acknowledge now that I can no longer delay colouring some stuff in by building any further interior detail. Before doing that I need to trace out the shapes of the windows openings on either side in order to a) cut out the required window shapes for the copious side-glazing, and b) transfer these outlines to the Silhouette cutter to start bulding a set of window masks for same. The actual windshield and gun turret I'm mulling over whether to freehand cut the masks or is there something clever I can do digitally to cut a (probably much neater) set of masks with the Silhouette also. One of those problems that (perhaps oddly) I rather enjoy having to solve.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:24 PM, KingTiger435 said:

Its fixed now I think!

😃 No problem KT and you are very welcome to the forum! Looking forwards to seeing your own work develop here. :thumbsup2:

On 4/5/2019 at 7:59 PM, JosephLalor said:

His comment about where certain magazines are displayed in a shop still makes me smile.

I  must post a shot of the top shelf in my local garage shop Joseph: it's almost entirely tractor and plant machinery publications. #bigbuckets :laugh:

On 4/5/2019 at 9:55 PM, bbudde said:

Great, Tony  and a nice visit with your lad at the Uni. He should taste, how it feels like and  tell you , if its something  for him.  (Maybe being  pushed through then). Cheers

Thanks for the kind sentiments Benedikt. :thumbsup2:

It was fascinating seeing the young ones there going through this rite of passage about 'becoming something' in the world and the look of consternation in their eyes about what choices to make. Despite all they get patronized and villified for in the UK & Irish press, the young give me hope when compared to what my own generation is currently occupying itself with.

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Did you wait until Mrs B was asleep to liberate some wiring ?

Luckily the experience of living with me has her regularly pulling her hair out Chris, so I'm inundated with riches! :laugh:

8 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Much belated happy birthday Tony! Rather late back on here as I’m still in Japan and only got back onto BM recently. Lots of evening catching up occurring over here. The Anson is coming along superbly.

Great to have you back Terry and thanks for the birthday wishes. Wow! Japan? Please accept my deepest envy (in the best possible spirit) for finding yourself there. Along with spending time in a desert it's one of the top 'must-do' visits Mrs. B & myself have planned for later in life.  Hope expenses are allowing you plenty of Wagyu beef <sizzle>!

Neither of these cats are 'ours':

46820611084_fa1dfd4fdd_c.jpg

The one feeding up on the windows sill is 'Chocolate' - a stray I introduced you to some time back who seems to have adopted us (although decidedly an outdoor cat who sleeps in the polytunnel). The one creeping in the back door thinking I wouldn't notice is 'Lil'. She seems to be staying as well and feeds on the other windowsill. That makes four cats in total living with us now. And 'Lil' is pregnant. 🙀  Stay tuned...

1/72 headphones:

46831246504_f2b484e9b5_c.jpg

Brass and human hair. These are for the Hallicrafters set to which I'll come back to in a bit. Simple case of some flattened brass tube bent into shape on the rolling rig and a couple of 0.9mm disks punched out of 1mm brass sheet soldered on. For reference I used shots of this, which purported to be a 1940 RAF set:

360_90c9f276165c072841ece82d883fb720.jpg 

Some outer repairs were also done to remedy problems caused by correcting the rear of the windows and door opening as they were too far forward on the kit. You might recall me lamenting that I'd managed to sand off some of the raised stringer detail on the rear of the fuselage and @giemme had iirc enquired as to how this might be reinstated. Simplest methof seemed to be gluing some Slaters micro-rod on:

33678268438_f851a8824f_c.jpg

This was then sanded flush at an angle in order to merge with the existing detail:

47502125502_f1a0e3e3c2_b.jpg

I'll reserve judgement on efficacy until that get a shot of primer: if it still looks too proud it can be further sanded and a dribble of Mr. Surface added along the side of each strip to create a more curved gradation for the stringer/fabric appearance.

You can also see above the advent of an extra brass upright either side up at the front of the cockpit, added to strengthen the roof at a point where windshield moulding meets the side run of glazing that runs all the way back:

40588892673_73138b6538_c.jpg

Given the flexure due to thin cross section on the front of that roof, this seemed a necessary precaution to provide a firm foundation when the two fusalege halves are glued togther later (some time in 2023 probably at this rate....).

Another necessary check to make sure transparency and fuselage height remain in sync after that addition:

46831246534_f2b484e9b5_c.jpg

That seems cool daddio.

I mentioned the Hallicrafters set above didn't I?

I'd grown ever more disenchanted with my previous and rather clumsy attempt at adapating the original Flightpath radio to an S-27 set, to the point that I knew at some point it was going in the bin. You've had that feeling yourself I'm sure when you live with something but in your heart-of-hearts know that you will eventually have do something about it.

Quickest route to Hallicrafters Heaven then seemed to be to cut an 8x4x4mm box out of a C-119 wheel-bay (oh, how those bays have carried on giving in their afterlife...), box it in and add an appropriate level of surface detail for this scale:

47502123522_90668f544b_c.jpg

Much better this time around imho and no longer causes me to wince.

Along with some fire extinguishers for the cabin wall, that is now the bloody lot for interior detail:

33678268478_e3010125d7_c.jpg

Need to trim the end off of the extinguisher nozzles when the glue dries but otherwise I'm calling time on this phase of the build and moving on next to getting the glazing sorted. I've still got some of that ultra-transparent tablet screen protector left over that I used previously on the side windows of the Iron Chicken cockpit but with the larger surface area involved here I intend doing a mule test using GS-Hypo to see how it performs.

Lurid sunset here on Friday night:

47544184421_68b4ec2344_h.jpg

There was a weird intensity to the sun as it went down after a set of passing storm cells resulted in a vivid turquoise colour-contrast against the orange silks;  for a brief hallucinatory moment it felt like looking up at the cloud-decks of Jupiter....

Pax vobiscum modellers.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 21

Excellent details Tony, not long now until it's painting time !!!

Great work fella.

Our cat has bought back a friend recently and they seem to tolerate each other quite well so we will see how that goes.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

There are plenty of options around here for the desert bit. Just depends how much you want to pay. I have promised myself that while I'm here I will lash out for a couple of nights at Qasr al Sarab.

https://www.anantara.com/en/qasr-al-sarab-abu-dhabi

https://m.viator.com/Dubai-attractions/Bedouin-Camps/d828-a11916

I have a spare room, you're welcome to use me as "base camp" if you like to save costs!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work on the added extra`s Tony.

And Slater`s micro strip, a name from the past.

Those Head phones remind me of the Grado`s I was going to buy a few years ago.

Great sounding cans,,, At a price though.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Pax vobiscum modellers.

Et tibi, Brass Master :worthy: :worthy:

The ribbing reinstating idea looks really appropriate, I hope it does the job for you :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

when compared to what my own generation is currently occupying itself with.

Edited by bbudde
Something went wrong with my posting. Indicative
  • Like 1

Hello Tony,  great work. Above, just expand the video. Just wanted to post  a sheep video with a nice "määähhhhhh"  instead,  but didn't worked well.  This should have been for any of the further " Great,  well done, outstanding, I repeat myself, etc."  as I 'm a minimalist on those things, when I can.

Btw Great sunset pic!!!!!!!!!!! I have downloaded it for my my personal use, if you don't mind. Cheers

https://www.facebook.com/dailybuzznl/videos/319717392203460/?t=5

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Wow! Japan? Please accept my deepest envy (in the best possible spirit) for finding yourself there. Along with spending time in a desert it's one of the top 'must-do' visits Mrs. B & myself have planned for later in life. 

Having done both I can strongly endorse these destinations.

This build continues to amaze and inspire in equal measure.

AW

• Thanks 1