Listening to the Solstice

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Wow, lovely console Tony. Soldering PE now too eh? No limits to the man’s metalwork :) 

Ta Ced. At this scale and with such narrow bits I find soldering gives a reliably stronger bond than glue...CA always used to give me a right hump most of the time that I've given up using it. Hawses faw cawses of cawse....

1 hour ago, hendie said:

seriously though,  it's great to see this endeavor come alive piece by piece.  Made all the more entertaining by the quality (and quantity) of scratch building and the sheer amount of imagineering going into it.

Is it possible for brass to affect the brain? I noticed recently the amount of times I look at things and realize that I'm pondering how they might be made out of the alluring alloy... :laugh:

Not as bad yet as Cellini though, daft bugger couldn't sit at the dinner table without 'improving' the salt cellar:

1024px-Saliera_von_Benvenuto_Cellini_(Ba

'Terra e Mare' my arts - that's Kris Kristofferson alarming Barbara Streisand with his Bobby McGee...

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

I haven't looked at an Anson cockpit, but normally there are 6 slots on a twin: 2 throttles, 2 prop levers, and 2 mixture controls. 

I hear you Ian. :nodding:

The Annie seems to only have three slots there however - this is the clearest shot of the console from the PN:

2019-02-13_07-34-14

The left and centre levers are both throttle controls, with the right one a single mixture control.

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Wartime poverty. Only running one engine at a time?

Censorship I reckon Pete. Same way they airbrushed out the Martini glass holder on the IP and the cigar humidor to the right of the 2nd pilot's seat.

6 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

..and the fowl cried back....

:rofl2:

• Haha 5

Just dropping by as it is so difficult to keep up with you!

I have to agree with Chris - this interior should be mounted alongside so that it can be properly seen and admired rather than being hidden away. Al;ternatively you could just make the whole thing a strip down model - you are half way there already!

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TheBaron said:

1024px-Saliera_von_Benvenuto_Cellini_(Ba

The left and centre levers are both throttle controls, with the right one a single mixture control.

A bit OTT, even for an elegant Annie.  Besides, that centre lever is clearly a trident, not a throttle.  Nice spitoon for the pilot in the foreground, though - or is it the compass?

Still, your solder work’s really going places, Baron Benvenuto - though I am bit doubtful about that shade of blue on the base.  Is it Humbrol?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

22 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely! 🤗

You have no idea how many flakes of brass now line the carpet under the bench Johnny: looks like the Carpet Monster has gold fillings! :frantic:

22 hours ago, rob85 said:

Tony, this is just fantastic, you out do yourself with every build

You spelt 'over-reach' wrong I think Rob! :laugh:

21 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

You ought to make another to display by the side of the finished Anson!!!

20 hours ago, pheonix said:

I have to agree with Chris - this interior should be mounted alongside so that it can be properly seen and admired rather than being hidden away.

I will take a memorial set of photos before it disappears inside Chris and Pheonix....

20 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

The look of the coach is…. How can I say….

It needs no saying does it CC? He can't seem to believe his luck....

13 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

though I am bit doubtful about that shade of blue on the base.

Shocking.

Man of your background not recognizing EDSG.....

12 hours ago, giemme said:

Exactly my tought!

Raising the bar?

I've been doing my utmost to lower the tone Giorgio! 😃

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 2/14/2019 at 9:06 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Is as mind boggling as this:

:rofl2:

That's one of those 'I see how that wor-...Oh no, that's not it.' ones ins't it? I still can't take my eyes off of it as I write this curse you Tomo! :laugh:

Busy few days since the last post but I did put aside some time to finish the IP and console. First task then was to box-in the port side of the console and add the flap lever that sits to the front of the compass mounting:

33236484458_73bbd0ceb4_c.jpg

The lever assembly was made by the simple expedient of folding some scrap brass around a length of runner from the PE set and soldering in to place. The remainder of this morning was taken up by the sweary-Mary tasks of adding the throttle and mixture levers to the top of the console, along with the wheel-brake lever that sticks out in the middle of the console and the elevator trim-tab handle mounted on the starboard side:

47111721151_92c6036533_c.jpg

Trying to get all those  thin short lengths into place without the heat from one disturbing its neighbouring sections became a fraught experience, hence the lack of photos. Nonetheless, the deployment of heat sinks to the more vulnerable parts made this happen, despite it  at times feelinglike you were skating on the ragged edges of the do-able at this scale.

Prior to doing all this delicacy I had taken the precaution of grinding the console down to the correct height to fit inside the aircraft, as the idea of doing anything like that with all the sticky-out bit in place later was not an appealling one. Nonetheless I did whip it back in for a check as you can never be too paranoid can you?

33236484498_b36abc3a2c_c.jpg

That damage to the coaming around the front of the cockpit is from some inattention a week or two back when revising some  angles of the front framework with the soldering iron whilst the structure was in situ. Once upon a time such damage would have freaked me out no end but that will be an easy job to repair with Milliput when the time comes - it's much more important to get the structural elements right in whatever way is necessary and then tidy up afterwards. Needless to say, the alternative of not getting it right but keeping the kit pristine at all costs has long ago been abandoned at this end. I'm sure Mellors in Lady Chatterly had summat pithy to say on such matters....

40147040093_89b2ee6fda_c.jpg

You can see that I need to cut a couple of notches in the IP so that it sits-in against the shelf and framework along the portside of the fuselage, plus there is a bit of structure needs adding on the starboard side. The 2nd pilot's control column won't be put in and their seat will remain resolutely folded up against the starboard side, but there are some bits of metal that run across which I think are related to the rudder pedals for the 2nd pilot which can be rotated up when not in use (that's me guessing btw). You can see the bits in question here - whatver their function they're visbible enough to require adding.

47059716312_15b3b3abe3_m.jpg

As to the pilot's rudder pedals, I remembered I had this old Reheat set knocking around from the iron Chicken days - it'd be surprising if this couldn't yield something useful in the immediate future:

33236800528_4348d73a65_c.jpg   

In other news, I've got to go over to Cambridge for a couple of days in late March in relation to some research I'm involved in  and only belatedly did I realize that that Duxford IWM is half an hour down the road from where I'm staying! 😧  Never having been there I'd have stayed an extra night if I'd known as I seem fated never to get to the bloomin' place. At least this year's summer hols in Dorset have been safely booked for July and I've selfishly promised myself a full day up at Yeovilton museum to compensate - if anyone needs any reference photos taken of the pies in the cafeteria there let me know....

I made some rash promise about cooking something special later. Indian or Mexican - I can't decide..... 

Catch you dans la semaine mes modellistes!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 13

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Don't forget the Bovington tank museum if you are in Dorset. It's a great place even if you don't (think you) like tanks!

Cheers Adrian! :thumbsup2:

We were there for Tankfest last year so it's the FAA's turn this year to be graced by 'that idiot trying to get a panoramic photograph of a Vixen's underside....' :laugh:

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Don't forget to look us up at Martian Towers.

Let us do that thing Daddy M! :nodding:

Remiss of me not to set things in train last year so I'll be in touch to work out dates/times nearer the event.

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Add to that @AdrianMF, The H.M.S. Victory/ Mary Rose,etc down here in Portsmouth.

Plus the Submarine Museum and Explosion museum over at Gosport too.

All done several years back Simon (with two young sons we had to visit anything in the Dorset region that floated or flew!) but like as not due a revisit in the near future, though at a slower pace than that required with youngsters in tow. One place we never got to was Fort Nelson on the outskirts - their website iremains so spectacularly uninformative that I'm not clear exactly what they have there. A fort of course, but a very coy one....

The ever-magnificent Jonathan Meades did a lively turn of the dockyards back in the 90s:

• Like 2

There's also the D-Day museum in Southsea, next to a nice little aquarium. Didn't get chance to go into the museum due to the fascination with fishes the grandaughter has! They had two tanks on display outside, a Sherman and Churchill IIRC. With this being the 75th anniversary year they may have some special events on?

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fort Nelson has a great display of Artillery through the ages. 18" rail gun anybody? 

The Fort itself is very interesting, from the tunnels to the ramparts.

Good cafe

Parking £3 but admission is free. 

Nigel 

• Thanks 1

Hi Tony, what great work on the control consul and amazing soldering on the levers.

Fantastic work.

Whilst visiting the lovely county of Dorset, you could consider a visit to the Swanage area for the beautiful Railway and get some inspiration for the steam locomotive build!!!

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A work opportunity has distracted me of late, also taking me away from home during the week, so I am doing much less modelling, and spending less time on BM at the moment, hence concentrated catch up time like this morning. I can't say I am surprised by what I have seen of your tremendous skills here Tony, but I can continue to be mesmerised and and inspired by your work. Annie is really showing her mettle (pun intended!) and is progressing wonderfully, close to post 100 already..............!

Superb stuff.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely work on the IP Tony and I love those little / tiny levers; good job!

On 16/02/2019 at 13:09, TheBaron said:

I've selfishly promised myself a full day up at Yeovilton museum to compensate

If you'd like some company PM me closer to the time and I'll pop down as a recce for the US visit in November :) 

We might even get @Ex-FAAWAFU to join us?

• Like 1

I’m up for it, definitely.  Everyone seems intent on luring you anywhere but Yeovilton, for some reason.  Splendid though all of those other establishments are in their own ways (Bovington especially), don’t succumb; the FAA Museum is fantastic.  Right up there with Duxford and Hendon.

Mind you, I popped my head into Newark at the weekend when up in Notts visiting my Mum - always worth a visit, and it’s always evolving.  In particular, since I last visited they have finished repainting this beauty:

resized_68258b7d-7893-46f1-bb18-bc177e7c

[Though quite why we have a Squabbling Bleeder and a Flight Lieutenant on the side of a 100% Naval aircraft defeats me... mutter mutter]

... and acquired an exotic Lynx:

resized_259630b3-512a-45cc-8302-12e3d284

[Qatar Police Lynx HC28 - essentially an AH1, I think - with ex-AAC starboard door and ex-FAA port door]

Followers of my current build will understand why the picture is a close-up of gearbox accessories rather than the whole aircraft!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5