Listening to the Solstice

Good evening all.

Nearly a week since I was on here last.

TWTWTW and a busy one too, trying to disprove the rubric about mensch and multitasking.

Anyways - nice to be back with you. 

Let's see what dropped through the letterbox then whilst I was out.

On 1/20/2019 at 1:55 PM, perdu said:

What would Lovejoy even look like nowadays

Oor Ian seems on track to outlive the dinosaurs. Must be all them steam baths since Sexy Beast.....

1376885280_6.jpg

On 1/20/2019 at 1:55 PM, perdu said:

there will be too much metal for an IPMS competition. Maybe a new category called for, might ask the committee

I'm throwing my hat in the ring for the 'Unlikely to float in water / Witchcraft' category Bill...

On 1/20/2019 at 2:40 PM, hendie said:

Will you be adding the "Cups, Nuts, for the accomodation of" at a later date? 

Well, it would be the dog's..errrr....no. No I won't be hendie! :laugh:

Does anyone know what the hell those things were actually on the chair were for btw? :shrug:

On 1/20/2019 at 2:54 PM, Martian Hale said:

Never mind, I'm sure nurse Fletcher-Brown will look after you.

Oh! Flower of England!

Be still my beating heart!

Miranda%20Richardson%20%20'Blackadder%20

On 1/20/2019 at 2:56 PM, bbudde said:

I took 5 photos of that little graveyard. I can upload them, if you don't mind or are interested in

Please do Benedikt! :thumbsup2: Love to see 'em.

On 1/20/2019 at 7:22 PM, giemme said:

why don't you just scrap the remaining plastic of this kit and just scratch build the whole thing from brass???

Every day in every way, I'm getting brassier Giorgio.... 😃

On 1/20/2019 at 8:24 PM, keefr22 said:

Seem to recall a completely metal skinned 32nd scale Tempest winning one year

On 1/20/2019 at 9:10 PM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Our very own Mr @airscale‘s staggering Spitfire last year, which won pretty much everything going, had way more metal in it than this; I think you’re safe for a good few more brass tubes yet!

'Staggering' is the only word for that work, having seen it in the flesh that year.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:15 PM, perdu said:

*The skills we're seeing are tempting me sorely

At this scale Bill there are so many jobs that I wouldn't go back to plastic for now with regard to scale thickness and strength. On the lazy front, solder dries a heck of a lot quicker than glue and suits my (lack of) patience... :laugh:

On 1/20/2019 at 11:55 PM, noelh said:

I got into a lenticular cloud over the city a few times.

UFO abduction! 😃

On 1/21/2019 at 1:05 AM, CedB said:

Lovely little seats Tony, more wonderful brassery

Cheers Ced! :thumbsup2: Managed to get a few hours in today for the first time so more to follow on the 2nd pilot's seat.

On 1/21/2019 at 11:52 AM, general melchett said:

thanks to the concerted efforts of Blackmore, Lemmy, Schenker, Gilmour, Tony McPhee, Gary Moore, et al, I now require the assistance of the aforementioned listening devices...and don't regret a second of it!

Just coming up to four o'clock by my watch General.

On 1/21/2019 at 3:24 PM, limeypilot said:

I still prefer Gillan, both with DP and solo.

:rofl:

#mindingutter

On 1/21/2019 at 8:07 PM, JosephLalor said:

despite living in Dublin myself I wasn't aware of

It's hard to remain aware of eveything that's going on even in a single city isn't it Joseph? :nodding:

I recall reading that Canaletto's paintings were used as guides in the postwar restoration of Warsaw

That's a fascinating bit of information - can you remember what the book was?

I wasn't aware of  the type's part in rumbling X-Gerat.

It has always played in my memory since seeing about it when 'Secret War' was forst broadcast back in the late 70s.

There's a copy of that particular episode online here if you're interested:

On 1/21/2019 at 10:09 PM, The Spadgent said:

Those seats look great. You are indeed really spoiling us. 

They'll do a turn....

giphy.gif

Here's the latest seat then:

46833399452_b32a574375_c.jpg

The folding affair for the 2nd pilot.

At some point during the week I'd also knocked out the navigator's tuffet but forgot to taske any photos of wortk-in-progress, so here it is as part of the growing seating ensemble:

46160366074_7e3a6be9bc_c.jpg

That other bent bit of tubing directly below it is for the other folding seat that sits athwart the rear spar to starboard, which I'll finish-off tomorrow (hopefully).

After tea this evening I also finished off the base and cross-braces of the 2nd pilot's seat:

33010068378_ba8bbf9428_c.jpg

16 parts and 2.5 hour went into that but as a prominent part of the for'ard innards, it needed doing:

46833399522_52723f20f7_c.jpg

Going to have to do something about filling those cavernous wingroot interiors aren't I? Plus I noticed recently a windowsill that runs along the bottom of the glazing that will need to be added.

One last curiosity to leave ye with this evening. I found this in an old copy of 'Life' magazine (September 1955) whilst doing some work-related research the other night:

39920548743_2831eb6e3f_b.jpg

https://books.google.ie/books?id=uFYEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA22&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false

Mad one eh?

Where's Destiny Angel?

captainscarlet5.jpg

:laugh:

Bon nuit & sweet dreams til next time.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Please do Benedikt! :thumbsup2: Love to see 'em.

50788741_10157039090254711_8433941165060

51341536_10157039090264711_3398003362375

50932724_10157039090284711_7877131704907

51329018_10157039090449711_6850454033753

50570752_10157039090479711_6501432651839

Bad luck for them for getting addicted to an evil system. Maybe not all were old enough (17 the youngest up to 45 or so) or too bad for that madness. Who knows? Ok, they rest there and I'm not sure, what was their guilt or maybe none, that put them into their graves or maybe some guilt of others. I really don't know. Very difficult to judge. Indeed too young to die, if someone gave you birth with all that trouble, that goes with it.  Cannot explain that better.

Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Here's the latest seat then:

46833399452_b32a574375_c.jpg

You are officially the brass maestro of the BM masses.

Undoubtedly.  Sir, I doff my cap to you and were it raining, I'd throw my Fly Wessex in a puddle for you to step on

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

That seat is truly the holy grail of soldering! Fabulous job!

Note to self. Write Deep Purple in full in future, especially when followed by the words "and solo".

Ian

• Like 1

18 hours ago, giemme said:

Looks like soldering has become second nature for you, Tony

Thanks G.

Can't be bothered waiting for glue to dry? Solder all the things!!! :laugh:

16 hours ago, bbudde said:

Tony, great work on the brass seat;

Thanks Benedikt. :thumbsup2:

17 hours ago, bbudde said:

Cannot explain that better.

Thanks for the photos too. History has a habit of hanging around and reminding us how easy it can be to fall doesn't it? 

15 hours ago, rob85 said:

Good lord that seat is beautiful!

Kind of you Rob. Cheers! :thumbsup2:

15 hours ago, hendie said:

I'd throw my Fly Wessex in a puddle for you to step on

I say steady on there H. I mean I know the Flyssex's a bit of a dog's breakfast and all that but characterising it as bridging equipment is a bit strong.

Oh I don't know though: the tail's quite close...

BLT-Pine+Prahar.jpg

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work fella

Thanks for your kind words Chris. :thumbsup2:

50 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

That seat is truly the holy grail of soldering!

Having trouble locating plans for the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch though I'm afraid Ian....

The_Holy_Hand_Grenade_of_Antioch.0.jpg

I done another chair anyway:

45979430825_25d97daa4c_c.jpg

Referred to in the manual as a 'tip-up' version, straddlling the rear spar and  adjacent to the 'relief tube'.

I presume this was the crewing equivalent of being given the restaurant table by the entrance to the toilets....

31952721877_0fa98c6ed8_c.jpg

After completing this, ther rest of the session was spent in a game of tri-dimensional chess with bits of brass getting the framework around the nose and pilot's area finished-off:

46169197934_497a195357_c.jpg

I learned an interesting lesson doing this that if you blob the solder on a bit more generously than needed like this:

39929207933_497a195357_c.jpg

The blobs can be ground down flush with a sanding disk in the Dremel in order to give a creditable representation at this scale of the junction-brackets on the real thing.

Obligatory test-fit:

46842155412_cfd1dc5a42_c.jpg

This revealed that size-wise the job was bang on but I that I still need to grind out a bit of the kit floor just forward of the front spar so that the framework can sit in at the right angle. The angles of the side-framing as they narrow toward the nose worked out fine in the end:

31952721927_497a195357_c.jpg

That front framing needs of course to be soldered on to the main rear cockpit section done previously - I'll save that for another session but did have a quick peek at the ensemble:

31952721997_8832a4ee5d_c.jpg

Before attempting any further constructuion I'm going to use any time during the week to have a look at things like the IP, pilot's floor and seat &etc. in order to do an inventory of bits that need doing to look carefully at the logistics of what can be soldered in to the main structure prior to painting, or else will haqve to be glued-in afterwards due to accessibility issues.

Thanks as always for reading and enjoy the rest of your weekends!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 17

Would you mind if I popped over later so I can learn how to solder properly from someone who has clearly been a master of the art for some time but pretended he wasn’t? I’ve been doing it for years now, and still manage to make a Horlicks of things at times.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

History has a habit of hanging around and reminding us how easy it can be to fall doesn't it?

Ja, Tony! In der Tat. So I think, if everyone has a response for his life for what he wants and doesn't want to be put through, everyone would be less stressed (einen Tacken geschmeidiger) on the main things. "Erstmal an die eigene Nase fassen hilft da meistens ein wenig, was man möchte oder nicht."

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hamden said:

t does seem a shame to hide all your superb engineering inside a plastic shell!

Yes Tony from what I see here, you have to do an Anson Mk.1C, which means the Avro Anson Mk.1/ Convertibale/Cabrio!

No choice!

• Haha 4