Listening to the Solstice

22 hours ago, limeypilot said:

There's just no stopping you is there?

giphy.gif

Thanks for the Roth tip btw Ian!  

With the passage of time I'll still occasionally take a meander down Metal Avenue, though these days more likely to need something more soothing and langorous in the line of Jocelyn Pook, though M.I.A. helps when you need to scream to something when stuck in traffic on the evening commute....

21 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Wow! This internal structure is impressive!

Dziękuję. Mr. G! :thumbsup2:

(Sorry to hear of Pawel Adamowicz's death over in Gdansk btw. These are brutal times in public life.)

19 hours ago, hendie said:

I'll book me ticket now if you don't mind!

On our current mutual pace, that should see us both comfortably through to the next decade hendie! After that it's contemplating downloading of consciousness into a ceramic exoskeleton (that will hopefully come with a soldering iron attachment...)

Bits missing, bits broken, more glue on it than holding it together.

- and beautifully salvaged! 👏

The more I look at it, the more I find myself thinking of future builds - similar to my Lysander attempt.... what can I build that's provided in basic kit form, thereby leaving me lots of brass-work and scratchbuilding challenges?

Fully understand those instincts Mr. H. - I have not been entirely discontent myself with having to build so much framework in this instance!

There is an undeniable pleasure to forming such structures.:nodding:

17 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

However, the poor old Sunderland looks awfully sad.

The spider living in the cockpit appears quite grateful for the shelter however Pete!

I must take a pic to send into Springwatch in a few months! :laugh:

17 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

Reminds me of an old Irish joke about the farmer who won the Nobel Prize - he was outstanding in his field.

🤦‍♂️

Now go and sit on the naughty step and have a good long think about what you've done...

😆

16 hours ago, 71chally said:

Really doing dear old Annie a major doffing of the cap!

Wotch James!

Thanks for that - she is a deserving case after all, :thumbsup2:

15 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I think @general melchett is going to want his hearing aid back so that particular model is no go.

I can't believe the the General is going to notic-

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Oh, that's my old one Martian, I've since upgraded to a slightly improved model seen here being tested by my batman in the Victory Garden at Melchett Towers.

Cripes! If that batman breaks wind he could deafen himself....

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

Soldering is not something I've ever attempted, although with a few lighting projects coming up it looks like I'll have to learn... probably end up in a trip to my local A&E! 

Surely a member of the office class warrants a soldering valet to handle such common tasks. I've had some candidates line up outside your field-tent.

Chap on the right. Is that a soldering iron in his breeches or...

....or not.

World-War-I.jpg

Mon General: if a klutz like me can learn to melt metal all over bits o' brass, I'm damn sure anyone can. :nodding:

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Your posts do make me laugh - great start to the weekend. Thanks matey!

Thanks Ced. You too geezer. 😁

Slept heavily last night, woke refreshed, and yet for some reason the old electric jelly ain't sparking as furioso as usual. Hence a limited buffet today (lest inattention cause some foolish error) and plenty of household tasks anyway requiring doing...

Started by thinning out the nose of the bird in order to accept the cockpit and nose part of the framing:

32923828818_651bd28c79_c.jpg

I took this shot backlighted so that you could see just how thin the walls are in places at top and bottom. There's some deformation on the outer side in those places but not really a concenr as the nose is going to be reshaped at the front and in all likellihood had a metal foil carapace to boot.

In terms of routing-out such fuselage walls I've come to swear by a combination of these two in the Dremel:

32923828788_6b113c5476_c.jpg

The cylindrical birr being perfect for getting square corners where needed, the small sanding drum ditto on internal concavities. Both have equal utility simply thinning out flat areas as well.

A few minutes back-and-forth on either side and front-most framing plus the PE IP now fit inside:

46746995502_0233f9f609_c.jpg

Even if you didn't have to thin these down for internal framing, the PE IP would probably require this to be done. The righthand side of that Ip I've since hacked off as it's not shown in either maintenance manual or reference shots in flight, (so I presume this may have been a removable element for dual instruction, along with the removable 2nd control collumn?).

That little flap on the lower IP is of course the compass shelf. The PE lacks sufficient dimension for this so brass tube of course:

32923828878_82ee853425_c.jpg

That is iir, 1.4mm inside 1.6mm. There is a nice little inlay and some film from the PE that I will though use on top of that later once painted.

Making the compass enabled me to call the most recent member to the bench:32923828918_a60a53e99e_c.jpg

@hendie (who else?) has reccomended something similar and seeing this on offer for v. low spondoolicks tipped the scale, largely because I'd fallen out of love with the little K&S tube cutter due to it leaving a bevelled edge on cuts.

46746995552_2c8cdc1632_c.jpg

One hint if you're working with much smaller tube of the kind I use for 1/72 is to unscrew the top handle part and put it in upside-down as you can see it is here in the photos. When the tool arrives it is in the other way round, which is fine for gfripping larger tubing say 3mm or above, but by reversing it as I've done lets you lock thinner diameter tubing like this firmly into place for cutting. Easy-enough modification.

Off now to go make Enchiladas and sit down with the family in front of a fire to watch films for the rest of the day. Recently got hold of a copy of the Russian 2017 film 'Salyut 7' that looks rather igood. After the gormless banality of 'First Man' I'm itching to see a decent space film again...

Hope you have a lovely Saturday chums and thanks for all you kind comments as ever.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Sob sob, The last time I saw a Sunderland on that wonderfull green island it was on the lough Derg.

I believe there is more than one Sunderland under Lough Derg CC! 

Could be memory playing tricks but I'll swear to reading somewhere that more than one was lost from moorings during a wartime storm.

4 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

almost as much as that “helping hand” contraption, I’m going to have to create some kind of Doc Oc thing myself.

I am thinking of calling mine 'The Martian' in honour of our dear tentacled colleague!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

Oh, that's my old one Martian, I've since upgraded to a slightly improved model seen here being tested by my batman in the Victory Garden at Melchett Towers.

3980856249-b45d691566-b.jpg

Just come across this Tony, lovely work on the metalwork, look forward to progress. Soldering is not something I've ever attempted, although with a few lighting projects coming up it looks like I'll have to learn... probably end up in a trip to my local A&E! 

Someone please tell that chap, that is NOT how to use a loud hailer!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Tony, I have been ludicrously busy at work - to the point where not only have I had no time to do any modelling myself, but I’ve barely even looked at anyone else’s.  So I’ve just done a mega catch-up.

Absolutely. Bloomin’. Awesome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2019 at 3:19 PM, TheBaron said:

- to what appearred to be the onset of the Apolcalypse at dusk on Wednesday:

46061203134_544c85f1be_c.jpg

One of my favorite versions of Holiday (but bootleg/soundoard, which I usually love the most.)

• Like 4

On 1/18/2019 at 3:19 PM, TheBaron said:

Much variety and definition in clouds, from these rolls last evening:

Err ja, that rolls or that sky would keep me very scary here. I'm really not sure about the island weather, but here these formations would cause (mmmhh).........maybe ..... some heavy storms,  I think. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Someone please tell that chap, that is NOT how to use a loud hailer!

Ian

They're the original prototype for 'Beats by Dre' headphones: 'Syncopation Anunciators by Dr. Andrew Young, FRS.'

16 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Tony, I have been ludicrously busy at work - to the point where not only have I had no time to do any modelling myself, but I’ve barely even looked at anyone else’s.  So I’ve just done a mega catch-up.

Absolutely. Bloomin’. Awesome.

Just keeping the seat warm for you old boy!

(Until you're able to rejoin the throng.)

:thanks:

Sincerely hope that 'busy' means 'fulfilling busy' so that there is a plus somewhere to being denied your company Crisp. :thumbsup2:

10 hours ago, bbudde said:

I'm really not sure about the island weather, but here these formations would cause (mmmhh).........maybe ..... some heavy storms

A Stormbringer perhaps!

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Interior fittings look fantastic in place Tony. Great work and what a handy gismo for cutting Tube. 

I am sorry to hear about your hearing issue Tony.

Take care and all the best.

Chris or Simon (I answer to most things anyway)

Thanks on all counts Chris. :thumbsup2:

Cockpit fitting continues and in the wake of @galgos's kind donation of those superb seating closeups, metal was cut:

45897624035_b80119b7d4_c.jpg

I used the original PE back as a template for the seat back, scanned it into the Silhouette drafting software in order to extend and reshape it to match Max's photos. I then cut the shapes in Washi maks and transferred these to some thinn sheet for cutting with nail scissors. These parts are for the pilot's and radio-op's seats (which are broadly similar).

'The Waiting Room':

46760242282_16545597e8_c.jpg

With bases added:

46812750431_053f35a960_c.jpg

The driver's is the one with the hole in the base, whereas the wirelessman has a door in the base of his. I know not the purpose of those details.

The all-important 'are they to scale with the other bits' shot:

46812750481_1063b176f7_c.jpg

Next tasks are the padded podium for the nav, plus folding 2nd pilot's seat and the fold-down one that sits athwart the rear wing spar to starboard. Hopefully I can continue in the current mode of grabbing 20 mins here and there during the week.

Roast beef dinner later with homemade horseradish sauce and half an acre of roast spuds.

I miss Lovejoy or Bergerac not being on Sunday nights.....

:bye:

Tony

• Like 15

God awmighty

What would Lovejoy even look like nowadays, bet the twinkly eyes would be replaced by arthritic back strains now...

Ohhh   grooooan  eeek

And Lady Janey? Saw pictures of her in that Downbeat Manor thing a couple of months ago, drab ye ken

Drab

(never go back!)

Love the new seats Tony, excellento excellency

Fab brass works

(Another thought struck me sadly, there will be too much metal for an IPMS competition. Maybe a new category called for, might ask the committee)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

lovely work on the seating arrangements sir.  Will you be adding the "Cups, Nuts, for the accomodation of" at a later date? 

With the commode hole being so small and not centered, I would have assumed that seat belonged to a bomb aimer and not that of a pilot.

• Haha 3

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 11:11, general melchett said:

probably end up in a trip to my local A&E! 

Never mind, I'm sure nurse Fletcher-Brown will look after you. Just hope she has forgotten that unfortunate close shave with your firing squad. 😟

Martian 👽 

• Haha 3

Hello Tony. Seats look great and in scale. Getting crowded in there.

Btw: I took a walk on this lovely, cold winters day and I took 5 photos of that little graveyard. I can upload them, if you don't mind or are interested in. Cheers

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Another thought struck me sadly, there will be too much metal for an IPMS competition. Maybe a new category called for, might ask the committee

Speaking of which: Tony, why don't you just scrap the remaining plastic of this kit and just scratch build the whole thing from brass??? :frantic:

Unbelievable stuff, almost outrageous :worthy: :worthy:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, perdu said:

(Another thought struck me sadly, there will be too much metal for an IPMS competition. Maybe a new category called for, might ask the committee)

Is there still a limit Bill. thought they'd done away with that rule a while ago? Seem to recall a completely metal skinned 32nd scale Tempest winning one year - & a few similar class winners from the same builder whose name escapes me....

We've judged a trophy (as you know - sorry again!) for a few years now and there's never been mention of it in the judges briefing

Keith

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Is there still a limit Bill. thought they'd done away with that rule a while ago? Seem to recall a completely metal skinned 32nd scale Tempest winning one year - & a few similar class winners from the same builder whose name escapes me....

We've judged a trophy (as you know - sorry again!) for a few years now and there's never been mention of it in the judges briefing

Keith

I hope, from a personal point of view that the rule has been altered*

This kind of skill deserves attention in the finest places

And Telford in November certainly counts as that for me

*The skills we're seeing are tempting me sorely

• Like 2

On 1/18/2019 at 2:19 PM, TheBaron said:

The incredibly distracting over the week however with the changing weather fronts over the isles. Much variety and definition in clouds, from these rolls last evening:

32910496348_ce24e64668_c.jpg

- to what appearred to be the onset of the Apolcalypse at dusk on Wednesday:

46061203134_544c85f1be_c.jpg

Yeah, I know, I saw them, this part of the world seems to major in apocalyptic skies. The locals think it's normal. I'm always packed and ready to flee, so we spent the weekend in our Dublin house. 

In my skydive time, I got into a lenticular cloud over the city a few times. Those monsters would fling you upwards like a feather. 

Exhilarating but scary.

• Like 2

More good progress Tony, seats looking good...

Regarding sounds...have you considered how you lugs might be feeling about things?...possibly something like this,

On a side note, I saw them perform this live back in '74 at Hammersmith...mind-blowing, (mind you, the questionable substances helped somewhat)..and thanks to the concerted efforts of Blackmore, Lemmy, Schenker, Gilmour, Tony McPhee, Gary Moore, et al, I now require the assistance of the aforementioned listening devices...and don't regret a second of it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Our very own Mr @airscale‘s staggering Spitfire last year, which won pretty much everything going, had way more metal in it than this; I think you’re safe for a good few more brass tubes yet!

I'd forgotten about that beauty!

K

• Like 1

Wow, That's a baby faced David Coverdale! I loved the Whitesnake version, and all the early Whitesnake stuff (before the mid 80's) but I still prefer Gillan, both with DP and solo.

Ian

• Like 3

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Wow, That's a baby faced David Coverdale! I loved the Whitesnake version, and all the early Whitesnake stuff (before the mid 80's) but I still prefer Gillan, both with DP and solo.

Ian

Me too.  But what a drummer.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2019 at 1:31 PM, TheBaron said:

Spent a rather splendid day-off up in Dublin yesterday with Mrs. B at the Canaletto exibition in the National Gallery.

Imagine my disappointment that the exhibition wasn't about ice-cream at all:

31670794287_75b5575d21_b.jpg

Fascinating work on many levels, not least of which was learning just how frequently yer man Giovanni used to move bits of Venice around in his paintings if reality didn't look quite right...

They also have a wonderful annual instution up there of a set of Turner watercolours which are only allowed to be shown to the public for one month in January, according to the terms of their bequest.

Water painted with water, how beautiful.....

image.jpg

On the way to the National from St. Stephen's Green is this haven:

31670817327_551932cf30_b.jpg

One of those places hidden in plain view that you pass so often on your way somewhere 'important'  thinking: 'Wonder what that is?'. We stopped for once to learn that this was a Huguenot graveyard dating from the later 17th C - a reminder that so many of our family histories only came into being from immigration. Buffetted by the growling traffic, this modest square of grass manages to retain both tranquility and birdsong.

Hi Tony, it's surely an indication of how clueless and generally out of touch I am that despite living in Dublin myself I wasn't aware of the Canaletto or Turner exhibitions until you mentioned them here. Regarding moving bits of Venice about, I recall reading that Canaletto's paintings were used as guides in the postwar restoration of Warsaw. It's said that mistakes in the paintings were reproduced in the restoration. No idea if that's true, but it's a nice story.

I've walked past the Huguenot cemetery on Merrion Row many times over the years without going in.  Curiously, the name carved over the gate reads 'Hughenot' rather than Huguenot.

Your Anson's on its way to being a model to be proud of. I wasn't aware of  the type's part in rumbling X-Gerat.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Thanks 1