Listening to the Solstice

The deteriorating hearing thing might be destined for many of us from 'our era' Tony, I had similar news a few years ago

They gave an aid for it which I stopped using, I was like Quasimodo "the bells, the bells!" with ringing behind my ears inside my skull from using the aid

Fortunately the noises all stopped

I lost the hearing aid and gentle background noises now fade out nicely for me

Its bad, losing it, but it ain't ALL bad

Loving the tables, has Mr IKEA been in touch yet?

Those pictures of the seats go to show how sophisticated aircraft seating has become, imagine trying to turn the nav's portapottie into a bed fit for slumbering in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A little more titillation.........I said....A LITTLE MORE TITILLATION!!!  (Don't worry, I've worn hearing aids for years....wouldn't be without them....but then I am over 70!)

J4Muwe.png

QaX9d1.png

Max

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Sorry Tony, I missed the bit where you mentioned your premature hearing loss, so add my thoughts to those expressed above. Looking at the bright side at least you don't have to hear to model* .... and if your missus' nagging gets like mine as she gets older, silence might well be golden.... :rofl2: 

Keith

* model club friend of mine in his forties was recently diagnosed with the onset of macular degeneration :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

On 1/14/2019 at 3:37 PM, galgos said:

these from a chap restoring an Anson in Canada:

As you do. Gizza job, I can do that.

On 1/15/2019 at 8:52 PM, TheBaron said:

diagnosed as going prematurely deaf

Welcome to the 'what?' club. I've been there for years. I blame all those noisy aeroplanes/power sets and stuff.

If it's just voices it's not so bad, but music, I would miss music.

• Like 3

Those tables and seats Tony - now you’re just showing off! More amazing stuff :) 

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis - as my daughter’s an Audiologist I had hearing aids fitted almost inevitably. Modern digital ones are great; they link with your ‘phone (so you can play music without anyone knowing) and I have a box that connects me wirelessly to the TV... gadget freak, who me?

I hope you get something sorted. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Worryingly, I find myself saving more and more detail pictures of Ansons. We all know where that is heading don't we?

Martian 👽

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2019 at 9:13 PM, bigbadbadge said:

You are going to have no trouble building a Steam locomotive. 

Thanks Simon!

The stars do seem to be aligning in that direction, don't they? 🌠🚋 

On 1/15/2019 at 9:17 PM, bbudde said:

too much Motörhead along the way

:rofl:

and Scorpions,

Michael Schenker Group,

Judas Priest,

AC/DC

Blue Oyster Cult

et al. :guitar:

...followed by raves in the 90s. 🥁

Oh! How we used to laugh back then musing on how deaf we'd be one day on account of it all! :banghead:

On 1/15/2019 at 10:03 PM, Martian Hale said:

What a lovely cat! 

All together now to the tune of Flashdance:

'What a feline! Doodoodoodoo-doodoooo....' 🎶

On 1/15/2019 at 11:29 PM, pheonix said:

A truly remarkable transformation of a venerable kit into a mini-masterpiece of modelling.

You are - as ever - too kind P.

It's a tribute I guess to the original designers of the kit that well into the following century it still has ardent fans, despite more recent mouldings being available. You can't underestimate the role of nostalgia of course, in re-making something that your 10-year old self built.

On 1/15/2019 at 11:29 PM, pheonix said:

especially when one has to be away from home (and the internet), for long periods.

You....you're not a Timelord - are you? 😄

I do hope you get a chance to settle in to the sanctity of your worksbench again soon! :thumbsup2:

On 1/15/2019 at 11:48 PM, hendie said:

That photo of the chairs, 5th one down... I paused....  I think I have behaved myself remarkably well.

I've two words for you.

'Nut Cups'

Always knew those aircrew had cojones, but was unaware til now of cabin equipment to support this idea....

On 1/16/2019 at 5:00 AM, Martian Hale said:

I am sorry to learn of your hearing problems. Can anything be done to help you?

Thank-you Martian. Apparently people sending bottles of Plymouth Gin to you through the post is an old folk-cure.

I read that somewhere.....probably.

On 1/16/2019 at 5:34 AM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

He’s beautiful 😻

Большое спасибо Nikolay.

When he sits on the window-sill at night and suddenly moves, it's like the darkness comes to life!

On 1/16/2019 at 10:02 AM, Hamden said:

Sorry to about your hearing troubles.

More fine workmanship on the Anson interior fittings

Thank-you on both counts Roger! :thumbsup2:

On 1/16/2019 at 10:59 AM, perdu said:

Its bad, losing it, but it ain't ALL bad

As a teenager I asked my grandad (from whom this as well as a dodgy back are  genetic gifts) what it was like going deaf Bill.

His answer (through the ever-present cloud of Benson & Hedges smoke)?

'Peace at last...' :laugh:

On 1/16/2019 at 10:59 AM, perdu said:

Loving the tables, has Mr IKEA been in touch yet?

The BÄRÖNSÄ three-piece will be available at a metaball-hangar near you this Spring!

(Nut Cups sold separately.)

On 1/16/2019 at 6:46 PM, galgos said:

A little more titillation.........I said....A LITTLE MORE TITILLATION!!!

:laugh:

Help!

I'm trapped in an episode of 'The Men from the Ministry'!

Had the first pic already but that second one is a zinger Max - :thanks:

On 1/16/2019 at 9:09 PM, keefr22 said:

Looking at the bright side at least you don't have to hear to model*

But what about when the catwalk supervisor shouts out:  '...and turn and flounce. No darling, that's a mince not a flounce.....'

On 1/16/2019 at 9:09 PM, keefr22 said:

model club friend of mine in his forties was recently diagnosed with the onset of macular degeneration

So grim. Sorry to hear that.

Loss of sight is beyond contemplation for me.

18 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

And I work as a sound engineer (Live) too.

I had to laugh at that revelation Simon. :nodding:

I similarly worked in theatre sound up to the mid-90s to pay the bills and on more than one occasion freaked out a director by saying - after the opening night of course - 'I'm sorry, that's not my good ear, let me just turn my head.' when being told of changes he wanted...

18 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

If it's just voices it's not so bad, but music, I would miss music.

'You 'um it and I'll play the bongos along...'

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Modern digital ones are great; they link with your ‘phone (so you can play music without anyone knowing) and I have a box that connects me wirelessly to the TV... gadget freak, who me?

Blimey Ced.

Can you pick up Air Traffic Control as well? 👂

I'd like something similarly discrete to tuck into the lugs but some of the prices (in this neck of the woods at least) are positively ruinous. 

I fear I shall have to go for the cheaper executive model:

acoustic_locator_3.jpg

14 hours ago, Andwil said:

Until you start singing along

Most embarassing on the bus when it's 'Carmina Burana' playing....

13 hours ago, noelh said:

I started to follow this thread but fell off the line quite quickly

'Never read on a tightrope' is the moral here...

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Worryingly, I find myself saving more and more detail pictures of Ansons. We all know where that is heading don't we?

Yes.

You suddenly buying a shedload of brass and taking up soldering! 🔥🔥🔥🔥

I've acquired a not inconsiderable library of photos at this stage now Daddy M - give me a shout if you want same and happy to bung them upon on Dropbox for you to feast upon. :nodding:

Only had time to garnish bits here and there over the latter half of the week as work gets into full swing again, but pleased to say that positive progress had been made. The sky has proven incredibly distracting over the week however with the changing weather fronts over the isles. Much variety and definition in clouds, from these rolls last evening:

32910496348_ce24e64668_c.jpg

- to what appearred to be the onset of the Apolcalypse at dusk on Wednesday:

46061203134_544c85f1be_c.jpg

Whilst the Winter dieback of vegetation in the garden revealed The Lost Sunderland:

32910538868_0b523473d6_c.jpg

46061209854_de4d995948_c.jpg

This was the first thing I ever had the temerity to post on the forum back at the start of 2016 and is so staggeringly badly-made and painted (not having modelled since about 1981) that it quickly became a test-bed for natural weathering outside. Three winters later and I'm wondering whether it might at some stage be fun to strip and disassemble the thing for a rebuild and brass-fest. :hmmm:

To topics of immediate interest then.

I can't remember exactly at what point but late one night, after a not-insignificant struggle with angles and alignments, I menaged to get the nav's desk soldered into position:

39822383843_e4a84737b3_c.jpg

Like all such apparently simple tasks, only upon commencement does you realize it is going to take more patience than anticipated in order to avoid buckling the framework:

46787837791_61208bd39f_c.jpg

Looks decent enough through the windows though:

32912030428_a556af1eca_c.jpg

Latterly then, a similar struggle commenced with the radio-op's station. Queensbury rules and a cool iron:

32912030038_91d6ac20f7_c.jpg

Seems to all tuck inside nicely:

46787837611_a6d8e01cd5_c.jpg

But not until both sides were on did the pulse settle:

46787837711_99cd4375a6_c.jpg

45872649595_c6c9123153_c.jpg

Proper busy now!

32912030148_3a9f05b346_c.jpg

With the extra info provided by Max I've still a rake of work to do on getting the seating sorted, plus the pilot's part of the cockpit to build, which should be fun. Also to be attended to up at the other end of the frame is to work out something to bung on top of the turrent ring:

32912030258_5784457d15_c.jpg

I've the Aeroclub transparencies to take care of the AW glazing, and have been researching details about the gun mounting and associated mounting inside. I've stripped the web of all available photos of the AW turret but still had problems trying to visually-integrate the internal structure until - as frequently happens - I realized there was probably something contemporary up on the Flight magazine archive.

Sure enough, from January 23rd, 1936:

46735872242_7318a5cba7_b.jpg

https://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1936/1936 - 0205.html?search=Aw turret

That's obviously the tail installation for an AW XXIII aircraft,  but the actual gun/seat mounting details are the same for the Anson so this helps enormously with undertstanding what various photos of Annie's turret show.

BTW. I love some of the more 'domestic' details that Flight sometimes has scattered across its pages, witness the lower right of the above:

'Mr. R. Lestrange Malone, Airwork's European sales manager, is to tour the Continent for about two months in a D.H. Hornet Moth, for contract and administration purposes.'

I'm in the wrong job!

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

There's just no stopping you is there? Sorry to hear about the hearing loss, although that's a pretty good list of bands which at least means you earned it, not that it just happened without you having any fun along the way. Can't beat the early AC/DC, Scorpions, and Judas Priest in my book. I still have all the early stuff on vinyl. A couple of years ago I bought Ulrich Roth's album of all his Scorpions stuff reworked as he imagined them, with a new band and recorded in the same school hall that the Scorpions started out in. It's well worth a listen if you like his stuff!

Ian

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

and I'm wondering whether it might at some stage be fun to strip and disassemble the thing for a rebuild and brass-fest.

I'll book me ticket now if you don't mind!

My second build on BM was an ebay acquired bit of lost childhood.  Bits missing, bits broken, more glue on it than holding it together.

%252524T2eC16hHJGYE9nookQjcBQYObleDO%252

(apologies for non-flying-thing interruption to these pages)

it can be enormous fun turning it from that ^^^ into this  ('scuse the passenger getting a bit enamored with James - I warned him about that several times)

P4180135.JPG&key=376c4d348ec76904311bbd3

I picked up a few new skills along that journey.

I've still a rake of work to do on getting the seating sorted, plus the pilot's part of the cockpit to build,

just as well.  I've got nowt planned for some time

This brass work is captivating.  I have to admit to being slightly okay, enormously envious that you have such an interesting and challenging subject matter.

The more I look at it, the more I find myself thinking of future builds - similar to my Lysander attempt.... what can I build that's provided in basic kit form, thereby leaving me lots of brass-work and scratchbuilding challenges?

more power to your anvil my friend

I love some of the more 'domestic' details that Flight sometimes has scattered across its pages,

I found myself looking at the "irresistible appeal to boys of all ages up to 80" statement.  So nothing much has changed in the intervening 83 years then?

• Like 6

On 1/7/2019 at 8:18 PM, TheBaron said:

There's a joke about a nightclub bouncer that phrase used to be the punchline of but I'm damned if I can rem

Reminds me of an old Irish joke about the farmer who won the Nobel Prize - he was outstanding in his field.

Excellent work on the Anson.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Haha 2

Outstanding work Tony, hard to believe that all that brass and solder is in 72nd scale.

Really doing dear old Annie a major doffing of the cap!

PS sorry to learn of your hearing issues, really not nice.

Edited by 71chally

Hello Tony !

Incredible brass work on here, do you really the tiny plastic parts scattered around your brassy brass Anson ???

Sorry to hear about your hearing troubles !

My father has ear plugs for years now, he got's it at 59 or 60,

On the other hand he call it a benediction !! 'cause when my mother is picking on him (business as usual) he did'nt or at least pretend that he did'nt hear her...:rofl2:

Or he use to squelch the bit to the max... So when he get near the TV or radio or cellular he got larsen !!

Now I remember one day, I was on the other side of their house, almost 10 meters from him

My mother was just beside him squabbling as usual...

My father was arguing again about his ear plugs " Sorry I did'nt ear you"

I sofltly said, "Ok, I go to the pub, sad that you're buzzy"

Believe it or not but he did hear that phrase and came along with me !! :rofl2::rofl2:

Always look on the bright side of life :cheers:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Now there is a name to conjure with.

Lovely brasswork old chap.

However, the poor old Sunderland looks awfully sad.

Sob sob, The last time I saw a Sunderland on that wonderfull green island it was on the lough Derg.

A sandringham in fact, bought by Kermit Weeks and bound for Florida.

Natural weathering ??? Really ???

Well done Tony !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 2

Lovely catch up Tony, while I’m waiting for the Flory to dry. I find down time inbetween tasks a great time to catch up with BM goings on. That brass work is really special kid almost as much as that “helping hand” contraption, I’m going to have to create some kind of Doc Oc thing myself. :thumbsup:. Sorry to hear about your lug buckets we are indeed all falling apart. All art of the fun eh. 🤨

I saw a Sunderland model in the Croom RAF Museum last weekend, quite a lovely looking bird. I don’t have one in the stash however. Maybe when I have rattled through the kits as planned this year.

Take care old boy.

Johnny.

I think general melchett is going to want his hearing aid back so that particular model is no go.

Oh, that's my old one Martian, I've since upgraded to a slightly improved model seen here being tested by my batman in the Victory Garden at Melchett Towers.

3980856249-b45d691566-b.jpg

Just come across this Tony, lovely work on the metalwork, look forward to progress. Soldering is not something I've ever attempted, although with a few lighting projects coming up it looks like I'll have to learn... probably end up in a trip to my local A&E! 

• Haha 7