Listening to the Solstice

19 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Do German teenagers cut down language to a bare minimum like their Anglo-American counterparts? 

No, they use Emojis more or less and abbreviations Can you call that language?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Spaghetti and meatballs? Really? I mean, come on....

:rofl: Just kidding, just being a little snob but only for fun :winkgrin:

That window mis-placement is quite disappointing, good thing you spotted (and fixed) it. :clap:

Ciao

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

One continues to be impressed with the brass work.

Martian 👽

I however continue to be depressed by the blooming brasswork   :(

He was already Gold Medal standard before he took up tin-smithing

now look at him

amazing

and awe inspiring model making

Who mentioned Steak and Kidney pudding?

I was partial to the steak and kidney puddens in our 24hr ration packs, far safer food for me than curry packs  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Marvellous manipulating with the windows Tony - found the problem better late than, er, later eh?

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

How do you like yours?

Steak and Kidney pudding, new potatoes and butter. Cut the potatoes and smear in (slurp) butter with some meaty bits.

Towards the end, rough mash the (dribble) spuds and mop up the gravy.

Nom nom nom.

There's even a video here showing the rubbery pastry*, even though the bloke who made the video obviously is no gourmet gourmand :D 

* Cue old Jim Davidson Chinese restaurant joke;

"Oi, waiter, this chicken's rubbery"

"Ah, sank you velly much"**

** Cue rant from politically correct humourless individuals. Chill out guys, it's a joke. Some of my best friends are Chinese. One in five of them, statistically.

It could be Alan, or Bill, Ian, Wan Che Lan or Peter.

I reckon it's Alan.

(Thanks to Tommy Cooper) :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

OK, I'm going to be the dissenting voice here....not about Tony's most excellent micro smithery - but Steak and Kidney puddings. I loath and detest the flavour and texture of kidneys so in my view all they do is make a good steak pie completely inedible! And the same with liver, why spoil perfectly good onions by mixing them with liver,,,,yuck!!

Anyway, with the inclusion of my favourite ever poem - ah dear old Spike - this thread continues to reach ever greater heights - crack on Tony! 

Keith

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

What id the German word for this concept I wonder?

Tony, I would call it "Regelungswahnsinn" or "Regelungswut/regelungswütend" and for the people who like to do that mostly "Klugscheißer"

Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

As for me, a home made Steak and Kidney Pudding is just the job.

Or a Steamed Bacon and Onion Pudding.

Warming alternatives for a winter's evening. 😄

Those Fray Bentos pies don't seem to taste as good as they used to.

Are they smaller too?

Dinner here in Lincs tonight was Brains faggots, two baked spuds and spinach. Yum!

Her indoors ticked the options for chips and mushy peas.

Now there's another  warming alternative. 🍲

BTW, lunch tomorrow will be leftover baked spud (x2) & leftover mushy peas. Yum! (again).

• Like 1

The post I was making to you damn-well got lost when Chrome crashed just now + I'm afraid I'm too tired to redo it tonight chaps - I'll reply at length next time.

Did get some time in thinning down the floors and ceilings of the fuselage and can report that the framework fits inside it rather admirably now when both halves are closed-up together. Not a particularly enthralling process to watch so I haven't wasted any pixels on it, but it is an important step in moving the build forward, and one that I was worried about.. Now it just remains to continue with adding all the bracing and remaining stations to the structure over the following days!

TTFN.

• Like 9

Wibble! I drop in here to get a bit of sanity from the SM.79 thread (shows how desperate I was) and what do I find? It seems that I have strolled into a group drool. Now I have @CedB dribble all over my nice clean scales.

Distraught of Mars 👽

• Haha 5

Hello Tony, sorry to hear that. Thanks god the human brain/mind doesn't do that so often (and then mostly alcohol etc. inflicted). So take your time tomorrow for a new edited version.

Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2019 at 7:42 PM, CedB said:

I'm sorry, I can't let that pass. I mean, I'm sensitive to Northerners having Dinner at noon but "lunch tonight"? Too much, just too much.

drive a few miles further north and you could have a fish supper for lunch at dinner 

on the subject of annoying food thingies - a fact that annoys me here is the fact that  entrée's are the main course, and Chili is classed as a 'soup' !   However there is much delight to be had at watching/listening to our colonial cousins try and pronounce Worcestershire sauce.  Generally they tail off into a mumble after about 6 or 7 attempted syllables, but last week I was watching a young Mexican lady chef who must have managed to get to at least 11 syllables before coming to an abrupt stop.

• Haha 3

Right. Let's hope this post doesn't crash this evening! ⌨️ :headbang:

On 1/9/2019 at 10:06 PM, bbudde said:

No, they use Emojis more or less and abbreviations Can you call that language?

W-ell: I guess a kind of hybrid visual language anyways Benedikt...

On 1/9/2019 at 10:07 PM, giemme said:

Spaghetti and meatballs? Really? I mean, come on....

🙊

'Non crediate che io abbia la pretensione d’insegnarvi a far le polpette.' 

- Pellegrino Artusi, 1891

:laugh:

On 1/9/2019 at 10:07 PM, giemme said:

That window mis-placement is quite disappointing, good thing you spotted (and fixed) it.

I should have read Mr. Parkin's PE instructions more clearly where he notes the incorrect windows and supplies some revised framing for it that I'm hoping to be able to use!

On 1/9/2019 at 10:22 PM, Martian Hale said:

One continues to be impressed with the brass work.

Thanks, you big sweetie.

On 1/9/2019 at 10:44 PM, perdu said:

now look at him

....surrounded by knowledgeable friends who have helped him get this far. 👷‍♂️ :nodding:

Who mentioned Steak and Kidney pudding?

I noticed on the pie-mentioning rota for the forum that it was my turn in the S&K category this week!

far safer food for me than curry packs

I'm guessing them ones didn't come with Nan bread and a can of Heineken Bill?👨‍🍳

On 1/9/2019 at 11:22 PM, CedB said:

Steak and Kidney pudding, new potatoes and butter. Cut the potatoes and smear in (slurp) butter with some meaty bits.

We seem united on the need for the glory that is butter to play a key role Ced! 🙋‍♂️

On 1/10/2019 at 8:57 AM, limeypilot said:

More splendid brass work Tony. Lovely to watch and very inspiring.

Thanks Ian. :thumbsup2:

How's the Battle of the Battle undercarriage progressing your end?

On 1/10/2019 at 9:45 AM, keefr22 said:

I loath and detest the flavour and texture of kidneys so in my view all they do is make a good steak pie completely inedible! And the same with liver, why spoil perfectly good onions by mixing them with liver,,,,yuck!!

No trip down Offal Alley for you then Keith! :rofl:

On 1/10/2019 at 9:51 AM, perdu said:

That is an offaly scathing position to take Keith

May I be the first to say "If he don't like it miss, I'll have his."

All the more for me, yum yum.

No guts, no glory! 😄

On 1/10/2019 at 2:46 PM, limeypilot said:

Spare liver and kidneys? I'll take what Bill doesn't want! 😛

Mixed grill all round then lads? (except for Keith - he's banished to the salad bar for the duration of this page...)

22 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Dinner here in Lincs tonight was Brains faggots

A splendid repast and no mistake Pete. :nodding:

I took it into my head to make some faggots a few years back  (never having had them since a teenager) but found it almost impossible to find a butcher here in this part of Ireland who would supply the necessary hearts and caul to make them with. Thankfully we've since found a proper butcher about 30 mins drive away who (unlike many of his counterparts) is prepared to actually source what the customer wants. Plus they sell the best black pudding you've ever tasted.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:23 AM, bbudde said:

Tony, I would call it "Regelungswahnsinn" or "Regelungswut/regelungswütend" and for the people who like to do that mostly "Klugscheißer"

I may have to report you for questioning regulations Benedikt! :laugh:

BTW. Hope you're not suffering from the bitter weather that seems to be sweeping Europe at present? The snowfall in Saxony and  Austria looks just mad.

20 hours ago, bbudde said:

So take your time tomorrow for a new edited version.

I have!

And this is it!

:thanks:

21 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Brilliant brass work. May I recommend a brief pause and some light entertainment to listen to while consuming steak and kidney pud and beer:

Glad you're enjoying matters Tomo. :thumbsup2:

Interesting to see a young Obi-Wan on Tenor Horn in that clip! 

('These are not the notes you're looking for....')

22 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Wibble! I drop in here to get a bit of sanity from the SM.79 thread (shows how desperate I was) and what do I find?

Things pretty much as they usually are round here!

43 minutes ago, hendie said:

and Chili is classed as a 'soup'

I now start to understand the prevalence of gun-crime in the States.

A whole nation rendered furious by their dinner.

In and out and roundabout I've been adding to the fuselage framework over the last couple of days, starting with adding the port side of the rear cockpit:

32828339918_592c470919_c.jpg

Question is - would it fit when both sides of the kit are mated?

32828340068_036a56c902_c.jpg

Blow me down. It did at the first attempt! All that extra grinding and sanding-out to thin the walls of the kit seems to have paid dividends. I was prepared to find that things would be more problematic than this and that I might have to adjust the dimensions of the framework so it is quite pleasing to be able to report on (aside from belly and windows) the relative accuracy of Airfix's fuselage in relation to the original maintenance drawings.

This detail around the gun turret gave me some anxiety though:

46650506152_75f0633a2d_c.jpg

The 'lip' of that opening is moulded very thick below the visible rim - considerably  thicker than it need be, I wonder why? - and I had to sand it right down to paper-thin thickness in order for the brass edge of the framing that you can see peeking out to fit beneath it.

Because of the concentration levels involved and the patience needed to work with such a fragile structure, I've found it best to work in 45 minute sessions and then take a break whilst slowly adding to detail to the framework, testing for fit all the while:

39738236413_3c177eb159_c.jpg

Getting into the nitty-gritty of adding internal bracing and so forth meant that - unlike our dear Martian colleague - I ran out of hands and pulled out the 'helping-hand' rig that I'd lashed together a while back from scrap wiring. I found this particularly necessary in adding detail around the air-gunner's platform, where parts overlay each other closely:

32828340168_7f3923b535_c.jpg

The crocodile clips also help with absorbing any excess heat, plus I have been draping the more delicate parts with wet tissue during soldering in order to avoid 'Anson Unsprung' becoming a thing.

This was the final part I build this evening, being the side frame for the wireless operator's table:

46650506342_b84fff03ff_c.jpg

As this was presumably where Cpl. Mackie was sitting when he picked up the signal of the Knickebein beam for the first time, I feel duty-bound to make a good fist of his station.

Here's what the frame looks like at present then after recent additions:

46650506422_5e5338b7af_c.jpg

It's kind of at that stage where despite the work involved, it doesn't look like you've actually added much:

39738236493_5ce026b581_c.jpg

The next job looming is to build the complicated bracing struts that hold the gun-turret ring in place, but I'll come back to that tomorrow with fresh eyes and hands.

32828340278_964208aeee_c.jpg

Doing some research for other matters last night and I came across a fascinating essay 'Applied Modernism: Military and Civilian Uses of the Aerial Photomosaic', covering the period from late 1910s to late 20s. Going to settle down with that for the evening I think.

More at the weekend no doubt, but take care until then.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 17

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

BTW. Hope you're not suffering from the bitter weather that seems to be sweeping Europe at present? The snowfall in Saxony and  Austria looks just mad.

No Tony, not at all, but I have two ebay buy's sticking there at the moment:

post2.jpg

Ok, a bit decadent and posh, but who cares😁. Cheers

Ps: The heavy snow in the south results from the north winds determinated by a steady anticyclone over your country at the moment. It brings warm wet weather from the atlantic and cold temperatures in high altitudes causing snowfalls at the alps as a natural frontier/barricade.  Rain here and wet snow there, but not cold. "Nasty beast". Heavy snowloads and avalanche problems there. Especially with rain and sunshine inbetween. Swollen rivers a bit later then there and here. One good thing: Our dry reservoirs filling up again for the next summer! Still relative dry. Mother nature rules again!

P.P.S.: Giorgio/giemme can report to you about the weather on the south side of the alps (just around the corner). Should be nice there with no major problems, I think.

Cheers again Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1