Listening to the Solstice

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

one of my favourites is Postman's Park,

On my list of places to visit after it appeared in 'Closer', one of my favourite blokey films. The roles played by Jude Law and Clive Owen as they battle over their womenfolk is a classic of masculine psychology. Oh, and Natalie Portman and Julia Roberts make appearances too, not that that influences me, of course. Not even the scene in the (gulp) 'Gentleman's Club'. 

• Haha 1

Tony, for what it's worth, this is the brass frame arrangement that I've made for my 1/32 vacuform Anson, not yet soldered but using Albion Alloys "Connecto" I think it's called, bit of a cheat but soldering shortly:

CATHGo.jpg

It lines up quite nicely with scaled up drawings:

2IgWlL.jpg

JI12o6.jpg

and Classic Airframes resin side walls were a useful check too, this in 1/48th and will be used as a reference for detailing starting soon:

uEcrJp.jpg

Max

• Like 10

Hello, again Tony. This is a photo of that little graveyard on my usual walk in the fields. 2015, somewhere in late Nov. or early Dec on a parallel way on my route.:

1669649_10153221603799711_42796775648081

I can take a photo of that on my next walk,  but not tomorrow, as your little storm front arrived now till tomorrow.

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2019 at 4:15 PM, giemme said:

Apologies, no offence meant - to you and Toby

For my part, none taken Giorgio! 😆

Toby however has been muttering darkly about dark cellars and soundproof walls....

On 1/6/2019 at 4:15 PM, giemme said:

you're up to an outstanding job 

There's a joke about a nightclub bouncer that phrase used to be the punchline of but I'm damned if I can remember the bloody joke! :banghead:

On 1/6/2019 at 4:17 PM, limeypilot said:

The soldering looks great, the .3mm certainly looks to be the correct choice

Thanks Ian - it's always comforting to be at work with the court of opinion in one's favour. :thumbsup2:

On 1/6/2019 at 4:17 PM, limeypilot said:

I'm finding myself thinking ahead to the Battle main gear and how I can reproduce it accurately enough. Keeps the grey stuff working!

PM sent.

On 1/6/2019 at 4:39 PM, Hamden said:

Will you be covering the airframe in Irish linen

Close!

Think it has to be Donegal tweed actually Roger - it gets bloody cold up there! :laugh:

On 1/6/2019 at 6:00 PM, hendie said:

This thread feels like the spiritual essence of Johnny Morris, Tony Hart, and Jack Hargreaves

I can think of no higher compliment to be paid hendie. :nodding: :thanks:

On 1/6/2019 at 6:00 PM, hendie said:

Been swapping stash for souls recently?

🤫

Faust ain't got nuttin' on me where brass is involved!

:devil:

On 1/6/2019 at 6:44 PM, Martian Hale said:

Ah! Carry on Screaming, one of my all time favourite films

I am filled with nostalgic urges to sit through the whole Carry On canon myself.

Even  the character names are enough to get me giggling in a most immature fashion. Sid James always appearing as something akin to 'Ted Flange' and usually a 'healthy fun-loving girl' called something along the lines of 'Miss Twicenightly'...

Mr.s B regards my love of these masterpieces with withering contempt, but then girls often grow up faster than boys and I'm obviuously lagging....

On 1/6/2019 at 6:44 PM, Martian Hale said:

Nice work Erminetrude.

:rofl:

'Oh joy! Joy! I'm a film star!'

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Pleased to see you're opening the door so that at least some of your work will be visible!

Some people take their Anson very seriously Ced; in Indonesian they build status to them!

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Fenella, Yvonne and Carolyn, let alone Siouxxx

Thank the Goddess for Women.

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It looks like soon you will be throwing out the last of the plastic and presenting the Britmodeller massif with an entirely brass Anson!

There are only several hundred pounds worth more of tools required for that to be a possibility.

Hendie occasionally mentions his lathe.

Has anyone seen pictures of his lathe? 

I think we need to see pictures of his lathe!

And I need several hundred pounds.

Well, euros. But the problem remains.

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

On the subject of graveyards (or at least memorial sites), one of my favourites is Postman's Park, a tiny park in the City of London, which is decorated with ceramic tiles recording  the tales of those who had given their lives attempting to save others.

What a magnificent place. I'm most grateful to you for posting that link Adrian.

6 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hiersein

A new Germnan word for me Benedikt.

How is it that your country has developed such magnificent single words that encapsulate complex ideas? 😄

You can't beat a good Gesamtkunstwerk.

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I don`t know, first the Iron Chicken , now the Brass Annie, what next?

So many elements to choose from Simon!

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I am glad that I am following this thread.

Glad to have you here my friend. :nodding:

4 hours ago, CedB said:

the scene in the (gulp) 'Gentleman's Club'

All of my potential responses to this sound like a series of bad double-entendres.

But then you saw that coming.

3 hours ago, hendie said:

a Bra'anson ?

:rofl2:

2 hours ago, galgos said:

Tony, for what it's worth, this is the brass frame arrangement that I've made for my 1/32 vacuform Anson, not yet soldered but using Albion Alloys "Connecto" I think it's called, bit of a cheat but soldering shortly:

Not cheating at all with results of that quality - that framing looks absolutely fabulous Max!

I was eyeing up some of that Connecto stuff in Dublin on Friday but don't think it come in a 0.3mm friendly version? 😄

I know it's bringing coals to Newcastle with you Max but if you're stuck for any specific details from the maintenance manual, don't hesitate to give me a shout.

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Sublime work as always. Happy new year kid.

Cheers Johnny - and to you and yours as well! :thumbsup: 🎇

21 minutes ago, bbudde said:

This is a photo of that little graveyard on my usual walk in the fields.

That looks most tranquil Benedikt: what a wonderful place for a wander.

Let's start with lunch tonight:

45926504824_33afa4460b_c.jpg

Findus Crispy Pancakes, white bread and butter and a glass of Irn Bru. 

My youngest lad had never eaten 70s food and is now smitten.

Can you still get Vesta curries? :hmmm::laugh:

A bit of enthusiasm left over from the weekend so I lunged in to the studio to make a start on roughing out the framework. I'm under no illusions how hard this is going to be to keep everything squared-off in three dimensions with the bendy thicknesses of tubing involved, but I have evolved a 'system' of sorts using the anvil and some steel bar to act as both supports to keep things perpendicular to each other and as heat sinks to draw off heat quickly in order to avoid collapsing the extant structure during soldering:

45926475664_4bc04b4ae1_c.jpg

The turret ring was formed from 0.4mm rod in the rolling rig - I'd decided that it needed to be a little thicker than the other 0.3mm framing in order to avoid flexing when that complicated structure of supports is attached to it later on.

That station 'E' that you see soldered on in the above shot is as far back as I shall be going to the tail, so I elected to work from the rear forwards, using the steel bar as heatsink/support for the following stations due to limited space bwetween them:

45926475684_773e24f082_c.jpg

Up as far as 'H' tonight:

46598660692_a2925ae993_c.jpg

From that point forwards we're into the main cockpit:

45736270045_74104a8531_c.jpg

The aim is to block out the overall skeleton all the way along for structural strength and then move back through the structure adding the extra 'V' supports, turret ring and so forth once that has been established.

Night, night.

Don't let the bedbugs bite.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 17

While I don't find that Findus stuff particularly attracting :shrug: , I'm instead fascinated by that brass marvel you're bringing about, Tony ... :worthy: :worthy:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

haven't got time to reply to this in detail this evening as bags need to get packed for yet another trip... but there's always room to suggest new tools !

Since you are building up your forging business, you may want to invest in some 1-2-3 Blocks - (or even a couple of sets!)  Incredibly useful for setting things up and getting/setting things square. Also, remarkably cheap, therefore a worthwhile investment that SWMBO cannot argue against

*edit*  Are they still called 1-2-3 blocks over there? or are they now 25.4-50.8-76.2 blocks?

Edited by hendie
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Some people take their Anson very seriously Ced; in Indonesian they build status to them!

Indeed! And rightly so... I watched the video all the way through in the hope that it would explain why… No, not why the wobbly video was made, but why they built the monument. I even went to YouTube to see the description of the video. Ah, right, not English then. Courtesy of Goole Translate:

"This is the 3rd Indonesian monument to the aircraft, the pilot is an Englishman. Which was obtained from the donations of the Minang community, especially ibuk ibuk, by giving gold and blessing silver to fight for Indonesian sovereignty."

:shrug:

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Let's start with lunch tonight:

I'm sorry, I can't let that pass. I mean, I'm sensitive to Northerners having Dinner at noon but "lunch tonight"? Too much, just too much.

I wouldn't mind some Findus Crispy Pancakes though…

Nice brassery Tony. It will fit, won't it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, hendie said:

Since you are building up your forging business, you may want to invest in some 1-2-3 Blocks

Or even these. I only recently found out about them in a youtube video, fascinating story. Of course, they are slightly more expensive than Hendie's selection!

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 2

On 1/7/2019 at 8:31 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

As if by magic...

bcs-logo-large.png

Wow! :rofl:

They have haggis!

In tins!

Tinned haggis!

It seems so wrong.

On 1/7/2019 at 8:44 PM, Tomoshenko said:

70s cuisine and top draw modelling. What's not to like!

There's a TV series here somewhere Tomo.

'The Food Programme' meets 'Model World'! 😃

On 1/7/2019 at 9:26 PM, perdu said:

Sue-perbamundo maestro

And Crispy Pancakes

Just wow

A bird can't fly on one wing! :laugh:

I like to think I'm doing my bit to support the British statin industry Bill....

23 hours ago, giemme said:

While I don't find that Findus stuff particularly attracting

I don't blame you quite frankly Giorgio! 😃

There are a range of processed foods peculiar to the British Isles - such as the TJ0504.jpg tinned pie  - that those of us who grew up in the 70s have a warped but instatiable nostalgia/hunger for.

Such food was presumably designed to survive a 25-year nuclear winter and there is no way to adequately explain these cravings to a gentleman such as yourself reared upon the glories of Italian cuisine. 

Don't judge us because we are weak..... :rofl:

23 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm instead fascinated by that brass marvel you're bringing about,

Kind of you - as always - Giorgio. :thumbsup2:

It feels like I'm on a bit of a roll with the fuselage tube-work at the moment and I couldn't wait to get some time in on it again this evening (after a big feed of homemade spaghetti & meatballs funnily enough. Yum!)

23 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Brass is an alloy Tony .....

I'm sorry Simon but you're wrong.

An alloy is a wheel.

I saw it on Top Gear.

22 hours ago, hendie said:

Since you are building up your forging business, you may want to invest in some 1-2-3 Blocks

Heyyy!! I'd seen something like that on your bench and never got round to asking you what it was.

Seeing as how I seem to bloody well buy near everything you suggest - and never have cause to regret it - don't be suprised to find part of next month's paycheck invested. I can already see how useful that might be. :thanks:

23 hours ago, hendie said:

bags need to get packed for yet another trip

Have a safe journey my friend.

21 hours ago, CedB said:

No, not why the wobbly video was made

It is a possible candidate for Most Pointless Piece of Video Ever Made (Classical Soundtrack category) isn't it?. So bad that I find it magnetic in the same way that those 'Worst Postcard' collections are so malignantly atractive....

21 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm sorry, I can't let that pass. I mean, I'm sensitive to Northerners having Dinner at noon but "lunch tonight"?

Oooh. So  'All-Day Breakfast' is fine, but an 'All-Night Lunch' suddenly has the meal-police all hot and bothered now does it?

Actually, in my callow youth I worked for a period in the Heathrow Penta Hotel on night-shift and although we got tons of free food to microwave at meal breaks, a lot of it was lunch stuff left over from the day. A diet of  Fish Pie or Liver & Bacon at 4am can really do your body clock serious harm. Not to mention digestion...

21 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice brassery Tony. It will fit, won't it?

It would not dare not to Ced. 🙈

11 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice frame work........................., lunch/dinner looks very appetising as well

Thanks Roger. Every now and again the craving for a bit o' processed food has to be assuaged doesn't it? :laugh:

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Or even these. I only recently found out about them in a youtube video, fascinating story. Of course, they are slightly more expensive than Hendie's selection!

Strewth Adrian!

That is incredibly unnaturally attractive as 'a thing'. Like something from the French Academy of Sciences of something in the 18th century.

Funny how it hadn't got any customer reviews yet! :laugh:

Just a swift report tonight on progress with the framework.

I managed to get the sides of the main part of the cockpit done this evening:

32793556858_378e32b9c4_c.jpg

I meant to say that I'd switched to the Powerflux paste for soldering on tis work as I find it a bit more satisfactory than the liuquid stuff I'd been using for other jobs - it works well in holding the flakes of solder in place whilst you dab them with the iron (which I've also switched to a much smaller tip and is giving neater results on the 0.3mm tube joins):

32793556948_6791bdf7d0_c.jpg

I quickly test-fitted the rear section I'd done yesterday to give you an idea of the overall visuals at this stage:

45753266765_8f13d991ee_c.jpg

I've also learned not to worry about cleaning off any excess solder at the moment as I'm finding that with some many joins involved on thin tubing, it works better to have a bit extra there when soldering a new bit on to an already existing join (if that makes sense?) in giving a good strong bond.

Tony

• Like 15

Very nice work Tony, very nice indeed!

Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pudding in a tin is one of my all time favourites - you just can't beat pastry that's been soaking in gravy for some years :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2019 at 9:18 PM, TheBaron said:

How is it that your country has developed such magnificent single words that encapsulate complex ideas? 😄

Hello, I think that we have to define everything to the ground (till we puke). Otherwise we are not satisfied or insecure. That's why we are also addicted to signs ( Of course only in a representative RAL-Colour system style). And most of all, we are too lazy to write. No need to write more than neccessary, if defined. Relaxing. E.g: In Hamburg you (should) say "Moin" = Good morning anytime of the day there. If you say "Moin, Moin" you would pobably talk too much or it can be ok. Enough said.

(The definition or development/explanation of that is the exhausting thing you will have to do once.)

Cheers

Great soldering Tony!!

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

"How is it that your country has developed such magnificent single words that encapsulate complex ideas? "

It's to compensate for the ridiculously long, complicated words used to describe simple things|!

Ian

• Haha 4

I’m still watching your soldering adventures with interest. I wonder if you’ve considered solder paste or cream?

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=Solder pa&product_id=3712

The wonder of such things is it is flux and solder combined. I use it for detailing work, and in conjunction with a resistance soldering unit (a story for another day). You clean the areas you want to join, dab some solder paste on them, and apply the heat. It often needs little cleaning up, aside from an occasional wipe over to remove excess paste that hasn’t turned to alloy.

Just a friendly nudge. I have no particular affiliation with the vendor above, as my current stock was supplied by Eileen's Emporium and is in a syringe for easier application. ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

It's to compensate for the ridiculously long, complicated words used to describe simple things|!

Do you mean something like this Ian:

"Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz"

Well, but you can do also good:

"pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis"

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, CedB said:

Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney Pudding in a tin is one of my all time favourites

Good man Ced! :thumbsup2:

Regarding serving - I personally favour two slices of white bread thickly buttered and a strong mug of tea as accompaniements. 

How do you like yours?

22 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello, I think that we have to define everything to the ground (till we puke). 

Benedikt: that had me laughing uproariously at the vehemence with which you said that!

I understand your loathing of over-definition; where I live it is frequently the opposite problem - a verbose lack of clarity in order to permit Jesutical evasion further down the line.

How does texting by smartphone work out in Germany given what you've said Benedikt? Do German teenagers cut down language to a bare minimum like their Anglo-American counterparts?

12 hours ago, limeypilot said:

What id the German word for this concept I wonder?

'There are holes in the sky 
Where the rain gets in, 
But they're ever so small 
That's why rain is thin.'

- Spike Milligan

12 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I wonder if you’ve considered solder paste or cream?

Heather - I'm most grateful for that reccomendation and propose to buy some to see how it works out. :thanks:

(Now you just know that I'm going to have to look up what 'resistance soldering' is too! :laugh:)

Pootering around before work this morning I had a few minutes to spare so decided to bung the rear section of the tube-work into the fuselage for a test fit:

45765247075_8f4e46406c_c.jpg

General fit was not bad considering that the floor and ceiling of the palstic haven't really been thinned-down yet.

Except for - as you know doubt latched-on to with your beady minces immediately:

31739082877_56bf9e86f5_b.jpg

Cue thoughts of 'What the deuce! How did I get those measurements so wrong?' and Mrs. Hudson rushing in with the laudanum. Presently rallying for a quick check against the plans from the maintenance manual revealed no such discrepancy, but look at where the window is marked here:

39715530663_014a41c195_c.jpg

No conundrum Watson.

See how the rear of the window is inline with the datum for 'Cabin rear bulkhead in the drawing above, and then at the gap between that bulkhead and the lip of the gun turret. Now have thyself a butcher's at the comparison shots below:

45761861155_1cb2f627f0_z.jpg

It is my contention m'lud that (as no doubt has been mentioned on many a build before but I've been too lazy to go looking) that the window on the kit is too far forward by several mill., meaning that the side windows of the cockpit don't extend back far enough eitheras a result. I nailed this differential down more precisely during lunchbreak with an overlay:

45952370504_bd1746603b_b.jpg

The match between framing and fuselage is pretty good - indeed would not pose any problems, save for the erroneous placement of those windows.

And by extension, all that trouble I went to with the door on t'other side....

The offending apertures have now been plugged with scrap plastic and lie in want of some filler in the remaining gaps:

45955682674_9729982ec1_c.jpg

Feeling like I needed something more productive as a result I cut out the air-gunner's platform and added that to the rear framework:

39715530753_a5e6ebbd53_c.jpg

Rear and starboard side then got joined together:

45765247165_176b1e0768_c.jpg

Still plenty of 'v' braces and stuff to add yet:

32805217338_8bbe9d4731_c.jpg

Just blocking in the main outlines a tthis stage to get overall shape correct to fit into the fueslage:

39715530933_98b7506147_c.jpg

Fits over the spars ok, need to lose some plastic around the rather generous moulding for the gun turret and a bit off roof and floor later and we should be ok.

Apart from cutting new windows and doors....

Oh well.

Hope you're all having a decent week so far.

Tony

• Like 15

Ah such is life Tony.

At least you have the chance to rectify the problem before too much else was done.

As for me, a home made Steak and Kidney Pudding is just the job.

Simon.

Or a Steamed Bacon and Onion Pudding.

• Like 1