Listening to the Solstice

16 hours ago, hendie said:

excellent I'd say (see how I avoided anything to do with 'wheely')

Yes. That would have been tyresome.

16 hours ago, hendie said:

Happy Crimbo

You too hendie. Hope you get a chance to relax and kick back.

15 hours ago, giemme said:

So I'll drop in one in Italian: meraviglioso

What a wonderful language your mother tongue is Giorgio. That gave me warm fuzzy feeling inside. Thank you.

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Pete (Back to work delivering amnesia juice in the morning. What? Oh, Newark & maybe Nottingham)

Take care on the roads with all the crazy holiday traffic Pete.

Get them feet up by the fire with with some of your cargo as soon as you can.

15 hours ago, perdu said:

you're giving us a proper Christmas gift with this one Tony

'Tis the season for giving so what else can you do?

Hope you get everything you want Bill. Happy Christmas.

13 hours ago, Massimo said:

Anyway those legs could hold my weight, so it won't be a problem!!!

You must be a remarkably svelte and lightweight chap Massimo is all I can say. If you get snowed-in, may you have plenty of brandy to see you through.

11 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Have a splendid break. Don't try soldering the Christmas Pudding back together with brandy butter...

Oooh. Another technique!

A Happy Christmas yourself Adrian (and don't go scribing any cowling lines on the chipolatas by mistake.)

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Have a great break, a Happy Christmas and see you after the Boxing 

Will indeed and likewise yourself Ced. Make sure your Die Hard singlet is freshly laundered for when you open the front door to the  carol singers.

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

All the best for the festive season to you & yours. 

You're a very nice man who says very nice things Steven.

Have a peaceful and pleasurable time sir.

I'll raise a glass of Walnut Vodka to you lot tomorrow for being such great pals.

🥂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Fantastic legs Tony, Oscar Pistorius would be happy to have those!

You could build the whole thing out of brass and they wouldn't give. 

Have a wonderful Christmas, and we'll see you on the other side!

Ian

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2018 at 2:01 PM, limeypilot said:

You could build the whole thing out of brass and they wouldn't give. 

Hmmm.

Don't tempt me.... :laugh:

On 12/24/2018 at 5:07 PM, Massimo said:

...Svelte and lightweight.......

THAT'S ME!!!!!!!!

Snap! :rofl:

Well, after a much needed quiet day yesterday with just my Ma and immediate family round for food by the fire, we'd delibrerately planned to do absolutely nothing today and consequently feel all the more relaxed for it. With nearly all forms of media (bar a couple of trusted newspapers) switched off for the last few days, it has been a haven of peace away from the corporate hysteria, largely just reading and talking to each other.

Even left time for a bit of self-indulgence at the bench after lunch:

46473409511_138df4866c_c.jpg

With the radii armii now done it was time to cut the lower bars out of the oleos in order to form the opening for the wheels to be mounted between them.

Scooter ride anyone? 😁

45560390005_804751fee9_c.jpg

I'll cut the steel pins of the axles down later when the wheels are being permanently installed and solder on some end caps to match the rather 'pronounced' appearrance of these features on the actual aircraft.

45560390045_b40649f890_c.jpg

Since taking those shots I've used some Milliput to sculpt the angled profile to the lower arms of the flanges as they run around the wheel on either side and will give them a final carve to shape tomorrow. I want to give the radius arms a final sand down tomorrow as well to reduce the height so that they are level with the top arm that the axles are mounted on to as well (if that makes sense?), then that set of tasks is largely done. A quick check in the wing:

31533630597_f456973334_c.jpg

The oleos are still over-long but I'm not going to trim those to length until having worked-out a robust enough way to attach both oleo and radii arms to the aircraft.

The only other things I did earlier was to go back the the exposed starboard nacelle and run some visual checks:

46473409611_dc2e8e5585_c.jpg

After banging the top nacelle in the doming set Santa brought I'm happy with the curvature of it now where it runs down to meet the collar at the rear of the engine. The lower nacelle part I do not like however and will have another go at making a replacement (as the curve is all wrong at the front)  plus I need to leave a litttle more width on the side facing the camera so that the oil-cooler can be securely mounted.

Hope that you're all over-indulging and that there is laughter.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 18

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

in the doming set Santa brought

oh, so now you have a doming set now have you ?  photo's please...

The undercart is looking particularly splendid.  A quick rub down with some wire wool and that will look the business.  It's so much better than the kit offering and well worth all the effort you've put into it.

For the oleo's I'd solder another piece of rod across the top end to brace everything, then you could cut a slot in a piece of styrene and slip it over the rod to glue in place in the bay.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Splendid work Tony, a real pleasure on the eye. Happy Christmas too.

Thank you for those kind words Tomo. I hope you had a rather spiffy time yourself! 🍷

22 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Absolutely gorgeous on the eye, Tony. The main gear assembly really is an engineering beauty.

Thanks Ian: not tempted to whack a set of metal fetlocks on the Battle yourself? :whistle:

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.196617829.8344467

20 hours ago, hendie said:

oh, so now you have a doming set now have you ?  photo's please...

🤫

44670228240_9021e067ab_c.jpg

As a group they look weirdly sinister don't they? :laugh: 😱

After your previous prompting on the matter hendie a wghile back, I'd done some looking around at various videos on Y-tube and reckoned that these will be useful on a number of fronts - both in aircraft and in looming railways matters. It's already expanded the repertoire as not only can I form various curves now that I wasn't able to previously, but the shaftsof these tools give a perfect set of scale diameters for making various cylinders too in connection with the rolling rig.

19 hours ago, CJP said:

Everyone has already said it but beautiful work on that gear

Most kind CJ. :thumbsup2:

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice legs Tony

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

🎵Shame about the face🎵

I knew he'd say that. 

I just knew it!

:rofl2:

5 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Splendid pins Tony, the amount of effort going on here is off the scale.

Hope you’re having a lovely break. Johnny.

Gracias Don Spadgent. 🎩

Having a most indolent time kicking around the house doing whatever seems worth doing in the moment. 

I hope you are in similarly relaxed stakes?

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

Agree, this is an inspiration to us budding solderers, looking forwards to seeing all the detail come together on the airframe

Most kind Neil.

Now that I've (finally!) managed to work out how to keep the tip of the iron tinned after use, it vaguely starts to feel like a more informed process at work! 🌡️🛠️

I've also been watching a number of jewellers at work in relation to picking up a few more skills and figured that I could use one of those bench vice thingies they use for sawing brass. As it's basically a piece of wood with a vee in it clamped to a bench, I simply Dremel'd a vee out of the bit of wood I used to solder on and, well, clamped it to the bench:

44670228200_043613f1ed_c.jpg

I might get a bit more ambitious and cut a slot in that horizontally down the centre to wedge the brass in during cutting, but that configuration above just using an old light clamp to hold it worked perfectly fine earlier. I mentioned yesterday that I wasn't happy with the lower nacelle so you can see that taking shape there.

Having annealed the brass, I gave the front of the lower nacelle a few whacks in the doming set to try this time and make a better job of the front curve down to where it meets the engine collar:

45574148575_b6927d75cb_c.jpg

Having gotten (in relative terms anyways...) a bit better at making metal cylinders, the kind of deformations you see above no longer a cause for any anxiety - the critical matter at this point was the forward curve, whilst the main 'barrel' can be corrected later once that has been formed. Previously I'd done it the other way round and it just didn't work accurately enough as a process.

With the main outlines blocked-in (and having decided that the previous version of upper nacelle was crap and made a new one also), another change I'd made in plans was to mate those two halves of the nacelle prior to fixing them to the aircraft. Again, my previous methodology of fixing upper and lower separately was simply not going to work, and would only serve to displace particular problems (eg. making them meet as a continuous cylinder) to a later point in the build where they would be harder to work on accurately and/or correct. So, over to the doming set - this time to use one of the shafts as a jig in order to solder the two halves into an accurate cylinder around:

46435938702_a7a56d080b_c.jpg

I'd taken the precaution of eyeballing that shaft against the the remaining nacelle moulding on the aircraft in order to make sure that the diameters would match. Again here, I found that I ran into problems with soldering those seams as with neither of the fluxes I have would the solder stick to the surface during tinning. Surmising that as the sheets of metal I was using were part of a job lot from an engineering shop in Poland, I gave their surfaces a clean-up with scalpel and wire wool and in due course both fluxes duly worked. There was some kind of waxy surface deposit which came off, so I must remember to remove this coating on future occasions. 

As a paranoid non-engineer I was a bit leery at just having a single solder seam down each side so opted to add a strengthening plate on the inside of the join on either side as a precaution:

44670228320_e6398c5a01_c.jpg

After a buff with the sanding drum and a rougher grade Micromesh:

44670228290_7261354182_c.jpg

Only the front 2mm or so of the seam will be visible once installed on the aircraft, so that looks like a) it will be strong enough now not to crack the seam if it is flexed during installation on the wing, and b) pass visual inspection in relation to the surrounding structures. A final cut and sand along the edges of the cutaway to do tomorrow and a job that I'd been struggling to get to a state I was satisfied with is nearly done now.

Next step is to look at making some attachement points for the undercarriage: I like @hendies idea for mounting the oleos, whilst for the rear of the radius arm, I'm considering moulding a Milliput socket for each of them to be epoxied into.

Off to put some roast spuds on now however.

Hope you like what you see and thanks for reading.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 17

a fine job indeed Tony.  I can see that dapping set coming in handy in lots of areas of your future builds.

11 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

There was some kind of waxy surface deposit which came off, so I must remember to remove this coating on future occasions. 

The key to a good solder joint is cleanliness - you should get into the habit of giving everything to be soldered a quick rub with wire wool just before soldering.

15 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Hope you like what you see and thanks for reading.

oh we do indeed

as an aside, if you are looking for modeling tools, avoid the usual modeling supply shops and look at jewellery supplies ('findings') such as Seattle Findings where they have such wonderful tools as this little tube cutting jig at half the price you'd pay in other stores.  I'm sure they have similar stores back in the UK

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Thanks Ian: not tempted to whack a set of metal fetlocks on the Battle yourself? :whistle:

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.196617829.8344467

🤫

Actually, yes. I can't think of any other way of doing it. The brass rods I inserted into the wheel wells earlier are for precisely that purpose. The plan is to solder the main legs into a piece of brass channel and then epoxy the channel to the rods already in place.

That's the plan..... still not sure quite how I'll do 4 off of the hydraulic extenders though!

Gorgeous work on the cowlings too. I do like the look of that doming set...…..

Ian

A

MAzing

I can confirm, if you fear it, that the solder seam running down that cylinder you made of two bits would likely stay stuck

But so what?

What you did works very nicely

Looks like we'll have you silver soldering before Easter too

Got a little blow torch guv?

Well, all I can think to add to those comments above Tony is ..... wow!!

This is a level removed from throwing some glue at bits of plastic and calling it modelling!

Sublime work, if you now applied these new found skills actually to jewellery making I think you'd soon be able to retire! :)

Keith

• Haha 1

Lovely work Tony, those new tools are certainly coming into their own :) 

But what's this? Not only do I get 'doming set envy', then hendie shows us a 'must have' tool for tube cutting… gaaaaah! :envy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, CedB said:

But what's this? Not only do I get 'doming set envy', then hendie shows us a 'must have' tool for tube cutting… gaaaaah! :envy:

I know exactly where you are coming from Ced. Personally I think its a cunning plan to make me spend so much on tools that I can't get my car fixed.

Skint of Mars👽

• Haha 7

Hello Tony, looks great, from what I see on this last page, but I have to read the posts before tomorrow. So I guess there will be some edits on this one or other posts tommorrow by me. Cheers

Edit: Yes Tony that is an outstanding work  on the brass parts. Even with the right tools it it requires more than average skills and a lot of patience. I'm lost for words  a. bit.

Edited by bbudde