Listening to the Solstice

The Dentrassi are considered to be the best cooks in the entire Galaxy. Well at least according to the eponymous guide they are. I do wish you Earthlings would at least try and keep up with things!

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

Tony, for what it's worth, this is the radius arm from the Classic Airframes 1/48 Anson - quite a bit different from how you envisaged it:

lyiktq.jpg
LVWYrr.jpg
bgPWKB.jpg
ghD1bM.jpg
NdPuRh.jpg
jpLYs7.jpg
497atW.jpg

If any dimensions from it are of use, let me know.

Max

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

it seems there are more variations of an Anson u/c than you can shake a stick at.

I wasn't talking specifically about the section around the wheel/axle bit (the yoke?) - I was talking about the long slightly curved section of the radius arm itself. 

I can certainly see why you opted for a box section based on this photo

32456282668_a40fee8b4f.jpg&key=33c05f626

On looking at several photo's I thought it was a top hat section with the the brim (flanges) at the bottom as can be seen in this photo

2008_0909anson0017-2.jpg

now look at the same arm after restoration... 

img_3169-683x1024.jpg

But then I found this photo...  I hope you can click on the links and zoom in too see what I mean or I'm going to sound a bit crazy

Avro_Anson_I_%E2%80%98N4877_-_MK-V%E2%80

That top hat section you see on the scrapyard photo above seems to be complete and that is as far as the top hat section goes.  The remainder of the arm seen in the restored photo is covered with fabric as can be seen on the display photo above

does that make any kind of sense? or am I suffering from too much Atholl Brose?

***** EDIT

'DOH!!!       I  just saw Max's post immediately after I posted -  that shape was what I was trying to explain

I could have sworn those posts weren't there before I started mine

Edited by hendie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is the Anson at Duxford, I'd hoped to get closer to her but the ropes prohibited it!

aLk3rk.jpg
ijNeLg.jpg

The restored NZ Anson has a rather frugal inelegant but functional undercarriage by comparison:

g4EgwP.png

Max

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, giemme said:

Good grief! Is there anything you can't do with a soldering iron??

:laugh: 

It is surely only a matter of time before we all find that out Giorgio!

13 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I do wish you Earthlings would at least try and keep up with things! 

Well.

Didn't that just put the entire species in its place! :rofl2:

11 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Mmmm... the coward's approach is to take to the Airfix items with a file, sanding stick and eye of faith!

Save the Planet! 

Use brass!

Err...

I'm not an ecologist by training so you may want to check that out Ed.

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow Tony some fantastic soldering the undercarriage legs and associated supports look absolutely amazing. Hope you are now recovering well from your man flu.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks for those kind sentiments Keith. :thumbsup2:

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Boxing above your weight there Tony - great stuff

Glad you're enjoying it Ced!

I touched a piece of plastic earlier....it was an odd feeling after all this time....:thumbsup2:

9 hours ago, CJP said:

Nice brassery! - you and Woody have really raised the bar with you brass soldering work

Too kind sir.

It is an addictive process once you start. Beware! 😄

9 hours ago, galgos said:

Tony, for what it's worth, this is the radius arm from the Classic Airframes 1/48 Anson

You're a darlin' Max - most grateful for taking the time to post those shots. They tally with some I'd looked up of the same part from the Special Hobby moulding, and I found some further reference shots to confirm that flange/box arrangement that hendie had originally corrected me on.

I have to say though I'd be tempted to do something about the arms that go around the wheels on that moulding in your shots.

8 hours ago, bbudde said:

Again Tony excellent work, but I fear to repeat myself many times.

Repeat away old friend. you'll get no complaints from me! 😄

7 hours ago, hendie said:

I can certainly see why you opted for a box section based on this photo

Erroneously of course. 

Are ever your instinct for structure was spot on hendie. :worthy:

The camera angle and lighting in those shots I'd originally used (and posted last evening) were almost of a pair in giving the illusion of a fatter box for the long section of the radius arm. Your observations sent me scurrying through my photographic references and that thinner box section on top of a slightly wider flanged element running the length of the underside is definitely - as P.G.Wodehouse would no doubt opine - 'the thing'. 

it seems there are more variations of an Anson u/c than you can shake a stick at.

Certainly I think there might be in later variants and in modernized restorations. For the Mk.1 though it seems to be consistent.

now look at the same arm after restoration... 

img_3169-683x1024.jpg

I've actually been working from that one this morning as it was in my files already, just not in the right folder. Great shot and beautiful restoration work those guys are doing.

The remainder of the arm seen in the restored photo is covered with fabric as can be seen on the display photo above

I'd wondered what that they'd used to give that pleated look. I s'pose if you don't have the fairing then you gotta make do....

2 hours ago, galgos said:

This is the Anson at Duxford, I'd hoped to get closer to her but the ropes prohibited it!

2nd shot down is perfection Max. Big thanks.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I reckon it is time to "Take Your Pick"

:laugh:

On the Wheel of Fortune tonight...

This detail from an IWM shot looks conclusive enough for me for the period Bill so I'm going to roll with this:

46292446382_cf1454458d_m.jpg

Although the shape is wrong in most respects, the Airfix part at least looks in proportion with the rest of the airframe so it was out with the calipers and blocking out some measurements on brass to make the long flanged section that runs all along the underside of the radius rod:

45619210904_69afbe1e3a_c.jpg

Fortuitously one of my packs of brass strip was of the exact required width so you can see here I'm cutting out the main outlines with scissors to rough out a prototype.

An hour of trimming, sanding and filing later and:

45429939165_d45992c29e_c.jpg

With the first one done and checked, the second went a lot quicker:

46292021842_de3a5ac36a_c.jpg

By luck rather than judgement it fit the opening in the wing perfect first time:

45619210864_1fed50b5bb_c.jpg

I've a habit of only checking such matters right at the end so will doubtless come a cropper sooner or later...

I decided this time around to work from the wheels backwards. As you can see from the wonderful array of photos people have weighed-in with above, there are two curved arms from the radius rod that go around the wheel. The top one of the pair to grip the axle, the lower (I assume) a kind of mudguard. To start building the latter I bent some 0.8mm tube in the rolling rig, with some wire inside to stop it collapsing/tearing during the process:

45429939015_11ff35f204_c.jpg

These were then soldered into place on the flanges:

46342673641_e9efc456d4_c.jpg

I could afford to be generous with the solder here as it's also being used as a filler to give an angles outline around the edge of those added parts. The top one of the pair above is in the raw state with the tube just tacked into place, the lower with it hammered-down at a slight angle on the anvil in order to start building up the angled 'rim' that you can see in this shot here:

31390762637_b11f8599f2_m.jpg

46292022002_2875670ba7_c.jpg

Slow and sure, but I feel were on the right track this time. :banghead:

Night all and thanks so much for your generous input on this section. :thumbsup:

:bye:

Tony

• Like 12

Looks right

What I suspect is that the 'putative flat plate' is actually intended to close the gap when the machine is in the air, giving a streamlined effect* to the arm

I really dont see any other reason for the variations

Maybe AVRO did the streamliner job and field workshops were expected to braze or rivet the aerodyne in place if they had been making repairs

*yes I know, I have seen the nacelles on old Annie, aerodynamics schmaerodynamics

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Thanks for those kind sentiments Keith. :thumbsup2:

Erm, I think those thanks should be directed to Chris, Tony (although looking at his last post it appears he's changed his name... :shrug:)

However I do echo those sentiments, so ''what Chris, er Keith, er Chr... said''

Chr... Keith. I think.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Night all and thanks so much for your generous input on this section.

"generous" my auntie Mabel - we just like nit-picking!

you did such a great job with the box section it took an absolute age to find a fault with it.    

But we did!!!

• Haha 2

A very interesting trip through the archives! It's very hard to see what's going on in old fuzzy black and white photos. Funny that they should fabric cover something that spends 90%+ of its life tucked inside the nacelle but that seems to be what it is.

Looking forward to undercarriage Mk II...

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2018 at 7:58 PM, TheBaron said:

'There's no need to display your talents for insubordination quite so readily Calvert....'

hopkins.jpg

Ah, Commander Calvert!  No wings, but none the less a fine figure of a man.  I too am a devotee of that film - notable for a rare appearance by a Westland Widgeon, if memory serves.

Some outstanding soldering going on here; chapeau duly doffed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 13/12/2018 at 18:36, Tomoshenko said:

Brilliant work Tony. Nice, neat, more to scale, and strong for such a delicate piece. I'd say keep going on moonlit walks.

yep, that's exactly what i meant!!!!!

:clap:

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, perdu said:

Looks right

What I suspect is that the 'putative flat plate' is actually intended to close the gap when the machine is in the air, giving a streamlined effect* to the arm

I really dont see any other reason for the variations

Maybe AVRO did the streamliner job and field workshops were expected to braze or rivet the aerodyne in place if they had been making repairs

*yes I know, I have seen the nacelles on old Annie, aerodynamics schmaerodynamics

A very logical theory.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

I’d never really analysed the undercarriage legs of an Anson, I think I need a lie down now 😂

lovely progress and this been been an inspiration in soldering. It’s going to make a great paperweight when done with all that metal in it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1