Listening to the Solstice

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

even  When Eight Bells Toll which is my go-to panacea for what-ails-ye - is without merit.

My favourite ever film - saw it 14  times in the picture house when it first came out...!!!

Get well soon Tony!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Get well soon Tony! Time to get the Baroness to watch the 'man cold' video... 

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Nowt so distressing as seeing so many fellow human beings wandering around staring into phones in complete oblivion to the world immediately surrounding them.

Quite.

46310060271_f4b7a8680d_n.jpg

• Haha 7

Hello Tony, get well soon. Ok we all know that situation, when we stay up in the morning as usual for the first time and notice that dazed, woozy (bematscht) feeling in the head letting us know,  that this will be coming soon:

sick.jpg

• Haha 2

Hello His Barony !

Hope that you'll get well soon !

I cross my fingers for not catching this cold or flu before my surgery.....😓

Since, I'm in a worst condition than the Dr House himself !

I clearly understand your feeling ! Yesterday, I've installed my modelling tools....

Then the pain was so loud that I did almost nothing....

When CC did'nt have taste for modelling... :poo::poo:is the whole story.

Today, I started my daywork by driving my daughter to her artschool for her last exam....

Everything almost is on strike here, roadblocks and so on...

Strange era...

Sincerely.

CC

PS; Brown sugar, the yellow part of an egg shaked in a hot blue Chimay, Best recipe against any type of cold !!

For the Chimay, it's hot, not boilling one, and stir that beverage before drinking it !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

PS; Brown sugar, the yellow part of an egg shaked in a hot blue Chimay, Best recipe against any type of cold !!

For the Chimay, it's hot, not boilling one, and stir that beverage before drinking it !

h8067D4B7

:whistle:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I hope you're feeling better soon Tony. Nothing worse than feeling sheight and not even wanting music!

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Hot toddys, lots of them Tony.

May not cure it but you don`t give a fudge.

Hello Simon,  I think they cure also like Wick Medi Nait or so as long as you stay in a warm bed then. The alcohol open your veins and you will loose temperature although it may feel warm. But anyway you are dazed and dizzy the whole day with or without them either way. So who cares? Cheers Benedikt

P.s:: https://www.pott.de/drinks-und-rezepte/tee-und-grog/#kraeftiger-pott-toddy

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

Sorry to hear you are suffering Tony. Your alien overlord instructs you to get well and resume entertaining us. :poke:

Sympathetic of Mars 👽

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

On 12/13/2018 at 5:36 PM, Tomoshenko said:

Brilliant work Tony. Nice, neat, more to scale, and strong for such a delicate piece. I'd say keep going on moonlit walks.

Thanks Tomo. :thumbsup2: 

As regards moonlight I'm currently re-reading this for the winter nights:

Most illuminating on us pagan British.

Anyone know is there a Masonic Lodge for modellers? :laugh:

On 12/13/2018 at 6:21 PM, keefr22 said:

My favourite ever film - saw it 14  times in the picture house when it first came out...!!!

Wow Keithster! I must have seen it the same amount, but over a period of 20 years... 🎞️🎞️🎞️🎞️🎞️🎞️🎞️🎞️🎞️

'There's no need to display your talents for insubordination quite so readily Calvert....'

hopkins.jpg

On 12/13/2018 at 7:05 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Get well soon that chap. 

I prescribe a tot or three of the Irish. (ice optional at this time of year).

I drank three bottles of Lucozade in quick succession. The resultant belching displaced the coughing quite satisfactorily.... 🤧

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Time to get the Baroness to watch the 'man cold' video... 

I'll have to - she refused to go out in the rain to get 'Warlord' comic from the newsagent and that copy of 'Biggles Flies East' from the library...

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Get well (and soldering) soon!

That raised a chuckle Adrian. Thanks! 😁

9 hours ago, Hamden said:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Roger Roger. :thumbsup2:

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Since, I'm in a worst condition than the Dr House himself !

Argh CC! That sounds ominous my friend! I hope that you're ok? 😟

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Everything almost is on strike here, roadblocks and so on...

Strange era...

Sounds like:

s-l1000.jpg

Thanks for the cold remedies too! :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Nothing worse than feeling sheight and not even wanting music!

I managed to sing a few bars of 'There's a Boy Coming Home on Leave' whilst bathing this morning, followed by Peter Gabriel's 'Games Without Frontiers' at full cry. I don't know whether that counts as improvement or relapse though....

5 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

May not cure it but you don`t give a fudge.

You read that in The Lancet, didn't you Simon? :laugh:

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Your alien overlord instructs you to get well and resume entertaining us.

Well, I'm feeling somewhat better Martian, though whether any of this is remotely entertaining I'm not well enough to say....

I know I'm going to regret asking this but did any of you hear the Martian wind during the week?

Bedridden I may have been but idle I was not. 

Amidst the sputum and groaning the loyal old brain got on with the clever stuff in the background and hatched up a scheme for trousering the undercarriage, if you get my drift. To whit, Ex. A:

45592349684_9b2ba45337_c.jpg

The kit outline may be a bit of a fiendish claw in the way it's moulded to grip the wheel, but the shape of the radius arm itself is sufficiently accurate to let me take outline aspects from it with tape in order to scan them into the Silhouette software for outputting some masks:

44499167230_a9e70311c9_c.jpg

Good old brain, thinking that one up!

I've stuck those down onto some thin brass strip and will et them cut out tomorrow hopefully:

45592349814_1216bd9772_c.jpg

The intention is to solder that big boxy fairing together and then build the front horseshoe shapes that grab the axles from shaped and flattened tubing later.

I believe that the road surface to Hades is comprised in large measure of a number of those intention-things, but one can but try...

I have fantasies about banging these latter sections out on the anvil like a miniature blacksmith, pausing only to sip thimbles of cider and admire comely maidens on their way to the dairy. 

Another job that had been irking the instincts also completed: poking out through the starboard side of each Cheetah nacelle is a kind of double-horn affair - no idea as to the function of the blighter but it is a prominent enough feature to warrant building. To acheive this I soldered the mounting framework for it to the firewall and then built up the required detailing on it from plastic:

45592349964_299f88b8f1_c.jpg

I'll have to cut a hole on the port nacelle and have one of those sticking out through the skin on t'other side of t'Anson as well...

Like ourselves, many of you around these Isles will have the hatches battened down for weather tomorrow; whether here or eslewhere on the globe, do take care of yourselves and I hope to have a tad more to show over the weekend.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

21 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Anyone know is there a Masonic Lodge for modellers? :laugh:

Yes, it's a place called Britmodeller - has no-one shown you the handshake yet Tony....?

More inventive modelling coming up, great stuff!

Good luck with the weather...

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Before wouldn't be that problem,  Afterwards would/could be a real disease. Again: Good luck and Happy christmas. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Martian wind? Don't tell Martian... perhaps it's the same diet as (burp) mine? :wicked:

Sticking tape on brass eh? Great things are afoot...

Those blue Dentrassi beans can have some volatile consequences! Anyway, its good to see that my "exhortation" for our friend to get well and resume our entertainment has borne fruit. Nice work Baroness.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Is that the handshake left over from dial up days?

Bzzzzbeep bzzzzbeep Bedoooobiedoop etc

Oooh. 56K downloads. Feel the power of progressive GIFs! :laugh:

17 hours ago, CedB said:

Martian wind? Don't tell Martian... perhaps it's the same diet as (burp) mine?

Been at the Bath Olivers and malmsey again Ced? #westcountrydecadence

😜

17 hours ago, CedB said:

Great things are afoot...

Whilst anything over six inches is a bonus....

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Looks like you're already getting better, Tony! :clap: Hope you get back to full operation soon

Grazie Giorgio.

Expect to feel floored for a day or two more yet but that's just the hangover from it. The beastly ague seems to have departed otherwise on a chariot of tissues. 🤧

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Anyway, its good to see that my "exhortation" for our friend to get well and resume our entertainment has borne fruit. Nice work Baroness.

Gracious of you Martian. :thumbsup2:

Dentrassi beans?

:hmmm:

http://thedentrassi.blogspot.com/2012/11/purple-cape-beans-vs-red-beans.html

3 hours ago, hendie said:

is it me or do the kit offerings look a bit flat and straight compared to the 1:1's which have a nice gentle curve along the length?

No, 'tis not just you hendie. In fact I've spent an obsessive amount of time today trying to represent that 'subtle-but-there' curvature along the radius.

It started with these bits:

31387920657_3fd2be917d_c.jpg

Which were turned into rough blanks:

44510288360_804a58bd8b_c.jpg

These various parts were then paired up and Gator-Grip'd together to try and keep their various profiles uniform during final shaping and then the GG washed off again.

I knew the soldering was going to be tricky in trying to build what is essentially a box-section made up of differing curves and widths - in the back of my mind I had retained a Plan B of going back to reshape and bulk-out the 

radius arms of the original kit parts if necessary - but I really wanted to try and push my skills as far as they would go on this task in order to get better at building these more complex structures from scratch. After some thought I decided that the most reliable method would be to silver each two adjoining parts first, tack them into place at 90° to each other, and then make the final seam by running a bead of solder along the join on the tip of the iron. It wasn't easy at this scale, but to my pleasure it worked!

31387920767_7052159bf0_c.jpg

Of course it gets exponentially more fiddly adding each new section due to both limited access to solder in along the seams and also not pushing too much heat in to the structure that the previous solder-seam gives way. Eventually a second side was on:

31387920847_a23f6116eb_c.jpg

Then it was just the final wall to add:

31387920907_a23f6116eb_c.jpg

The angles are pre-bent by eye in the etch folding tool and to introduce the slight curve that hendie has already noted I ran the piece through some round nosed pliers, gentle-like.

And so:

31387920837_ea2eb04149_c.jpg

Needs all the yucky-mucky liquid flux and whatnot cleaned off but otherwise a more pleasingly-proportioned fairing than the kit part:

44510288520_3595c4eddd_c.jpg

With the excess solder knocked-back hopefull you can just about make out a slight inner curvature now in this test-fit shot:

31387921267_92a18492d8_c.jpg

One down, the other ready to go tomorrow:

44510288800_824b9500b3_c.jpg

Then it's time to think about the 'horshoe' bits on the front of this section  that reach out and grab the axles.

Hope you lot are having a decent Saturday. I'm just off to boil some spuds to go with the smoked ham joint that is tonight's tea. 🍲

More tomorrow with luck.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 16

38 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

- but I really wanted to try and push my skills as far as they would go on this task in order to get better at building these more complex structures from scratch.

not only did you push therm,  you bashed them over the head and threw them off a cliff

then went for a pint

*cough*

I don't want to nit pick but doesn't the bottom edge of the arm have a small flange either side? (where yours is a box section)

avro-anson-mk1.jpg

of course if you had already planned to add a small flat sheet along the bottom of the arm to represent the flange (and I just hadn't spotted that) then I apologise most sincerely

Edited by hendie
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, hendie said:

doesn't the bottom edge of the arm have a small flange either side? (where yours is a box section)

Wotcha! 😁

Could you clarify the bit you mean hendie I'm not quite clear. (Apologies for seeming dense).

2018-12-15_06-47-03

The box section of the arm that I've built so far will terminate where it meets a slightly larger collar that spreads out into a kind of hollow shovel shape around the wheel, with a tubular section above it. Is that the flange bit you mean?

Addenda:

Aahhh, see what you mean.

I'd been relying upon the photo above and this one:

2018-12-15_09-29-25

as close-up references and in both the radius arm looks a box section to my eye. Having carefully scrutinised other contemporary pics (as well as a look at the Special Hobby moulding) however I reckon the combination of lighting and camera angle had me well fooled.

It seems obvious of course once you follow the line of the side down to where it would intersect the wheel i.e., toward the centreline of it. ..😴

It's unfortunate that this is one assembly not covered in the maintenance manual!

Tip of the hat hendie for flagging that up :thanks:

I see some de-soldering on the cards tomorrow....

• Like 5